You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Reserving Feats 'n Stuff  (Read 2476 times)

Draxiss

• Undead Slayer
Reserving Feats 'n Stuff
« on: May 05, 2013, 08:53:33 PM »
Sooo . . . I know the dev team does a lot of stuff, and I know that some of the stuff people have been asking about for a long, long time hasn't happened yet, but that it will happen.
So, I happened upon this idea, and it's of questionable cheese.
Let's say there's a feat that a character *knows* he/she would go for at a certain level, but that hasn't been implemented yet because the dev team has more aggressive maddened Kodiak bears to wallop. I know I'm traveling pretty far into the land of make-believe here, but let's say that the character manages to level up. Once in a blue moon and all that, I know, but it does happen. What if the character requested the feat slot at that level to be reserved, then leveled up? The feat list comes up, and the character picks any old feat he/she can find. After leveling up has been finalized, the DM removes the feat that was just added on, and leaves a DM comment saying, "X Feat Reserved at Level Y."
Then, the player is allowed to RP as having the feat, and when the time comes and the feat is implemented, the character says, "Oi! AH WANTS MAH FEEEEAAAAHHHTS!" in a polite fashion. The, either by script or by kindly DM who the player then thanks very much and kisses the feet of, the player gains that feat!

Example: You have a level 5 Druid with a wisdom of at least 13 that can wild shape into a wolf. In PnP, this would qualify the character for the Scent feat, which grants the scent ability. However, scenting has not yet been implemented onto the server! So, the character (probably by filling out a form on the forums) requests to have their level five feat slot held or "reserved" for the Scent feat, when it becomes available. Then, they RP as having the scent feat, track by scent, etc. When a DM sees the character is attempting to track someone by scent, the DM thinks, "Hey! He's cheesing!"
Then, the DM remembers the idea that sexy, sexy Draxiss proposed for reserving feats, and decides the check the character's description.
"Oh, wait! Looks like it was just a reserved feat, like the sexy, sexy Draxiss proposed! Good thinking, Draxiss. Now that he rule's the planet with an iron fist sexy mind, everything else is better, too! Hey, I might even decide to help this fellow here who's started sniffing around. Maybe I'll give him some IG clues for him to follow! Yeah, that's it! Then I'll have something horrible happen!"

Also, the reason why I have "'n Stuff" in the title is to entail the possibility of other things besides feats being reserved, with a bit of work.
Draxiss - Survival. It's what's for dinner.

Draxiss

• Undead Slayer
Re: Reserving Feats 'n Stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 09:01:41 PM »
Oh, I was going to add at the end, "Exactly how cheesy would this be, if it was mutually agreed upon by the server (or people who count on the server) ahead of time?"

After all, it seems less strenuous then having to request a re-level when the awesome thing you've been waiting a long to happen finally happens and you're already level twenty and have to RP having had the awesome thing all along.

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:15:51 PM »
Your assuming new feats have been added..and seems rp feats are not really um..high up on the important list. and the trouble of asking for this type of "reservation " system . What remakes and rebuilds and relevel applications are good for.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 11:09:19 PM »
Your assuming new feats have been added..and seems rp feats are not really um..high up on the important list. and the trouble of asking for this type of "reservation " system . What remakes and rebuilds and relevel applications are good for.

pretty much it, keeping log of who gets what will turn into a forgotten topic somewhere on page 10 by the time if ever it gets to be done, then theres shelved chars closured chars  it is just more hassle for the team that they dont need, stick with relvls/builds is my view/opinion.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Draxiss

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 12:49:26 AM »

pretty much it, keeping log of who gets what will turn into a forgotten topic somewhere on page 10 by the time if ever it gets to be done, then theres shelved chars closured chars  it is just more hassle for the team that they dont need, stick with relvls/builds is my view/opinion.

It is because RP feats are not high on the important list that I suggest this. And, I noticed this when examining my character's description with the examine tool: "DM Description." I assume that means only DMs can view it. It would mean that you wouldn't need to keep a huge record, you'd just need to make sure that it was okay before a DM writes it into the DM part of the character's description.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:15:37 AM »
I'm not sure, but doesn't that part do the exact same as the player description?
It adds to your character description, it's just that the DM part can only be altered by DMs.
At least that's what I understood so far, I might be completely wrong in this.

Either way, as has been said, isn't it much easier to simply request a remake when the time is there?
Instead of keeping records and adding a load of administrative work for a change that may not come for another year.
(And who knows, half if not more of the characters may be inactive or dead by that time. Just request it when it does exist.)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 10:58:47 AM »
There's no way to really implement that mechanically + we rarely add new feats and we don't plan them months in advance. I don't even think we're adding any feats this time around and the next update is likely going to be in a couple of years jusging by our history.

By the way, there are no plans to implement Scent.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 11:45:45 AM »
Is it not possible to give existing feats to new weapon types, such as sai and dagger using the same feats and the like? I saw this done on another server and seemed to work pretty well?

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
Is it not possible to give existing feats to new weapon types, such as sai and dagger using the same feats and the like? I saw this done on another server and seemed to work pretty well?
Not really, no. Not true feats, anyway. What you saw was a workaround which is not 100% reliable and can cause performance issues.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:50:31 PM by Bluebomber4evr »

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 03:55:49 PM »
I don't even think we're adding any feats this time around and the next update is likely going to be in a couple of years jusging by our history.
To be fair, the only reason it was that long was because we were waiting for the CEP to update, which we're not going to do anymore.

Draxiss

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 10:01:53 PM »
I don't even think we're adding any feats this time around and the next update is likely going to be in a couple of years jusging by our history.
To be fair, the only reason it was that long was because we were waiting for the CEP to update, which we're not going to do anymore.
Thank goodness! So, you're not worrying about the .tlk file?

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 10:10:53 PM »
Thank goodness! So, you're not worrying about the .tlk file?
We have a custom .tlk anyway, so it won't conflict with any future versions of the CEP, assuming they ever update again.