Author Topic: Werewolves  (Read 3606 times)

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
Werewolves
« on: May 01, 2013, 05:02:37 AM »
Too damn many of them.  Think it's time to re-think some of the spawn-types?  Maybe replace the ones along the path with your garden-variety wolves of similar strength and boost the true werewolves so they are viewed as something to be feared?  Or at least remove them from spawning just outside the Morninglord temple.
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
Re: Werewolves
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 10:21:32 AM »
Too damn many of them.  Think it's time to re-think some of the spawn-types?  Maybe replace the ones along the path with your garden-variety wolves of similar strength and boost the true werewolves so they are viewed as something to be feared?  Or at least remove them from spawning just outside the Morninglord temple.

I don't believe there are any werewolf spawns set up right outside the Morninglord temple. I suspect either DM spawns OR (and the most likely) a player was running away from them from the next map over and they chased them all the way to the temple.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 10:33:38 AM »
There's currently THREE werewolves that spawn from behind the ranger hut in the outskirts, which then patrol towards the city gates.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:45:22 AM »
Uhm. Stay inside?

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 11:00:38 AM »
Uhm. Stay inside?

In most cases I would agree, but considering this is one zone away from the starting location?
I know most people here are veterans, but you do have to keep the new players in mind as well.

You want to scare people, not scare them off. Needlessly harsh game mechanics tend to do the latter.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 11:42:38 AM »
Have to agree with above, the space between the temple, vistani and inn should be relatively safe since you never know when a new player will enter the server and blindly wander out not knowing whats what.

If there are people foolish enough to stand outside at night though, i say let the dm's at them /o/ At least then its a controlled occurrence and there are people there to handle them. Rather then a level one "skipping" out from the vistani and then torn apart by a wandering werewolf and rage quits before they even interacted with another player.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 11:46:45 AM »
There's currently THREE werewolves that spawn from behind the ranger hut in the outskirts, which then patrol towards the city gates.

I've never known those werewolves to wander away from the rangers hut except A: They are chasing mink or B: they are chasing a player.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 12:12:34 PM »

I've never known those werewolves to wander away from the rangers hut except A: They are chasing mink or B: they are chasing a player.

They appear to end up chasing things to the vistani map and then slaughtering them often enough for it to be considered problem.

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 12:21:49 PM »
Uhm. Stay inside?

Can't say I wouldn't welcome variety in spawns however... I mean more than just werewolves. I mean certainly there are more types of night time dwellers other than them... there just has to be.

YouLitABonfire

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 12:24:45 PM »

Nah man..the werewolves ate them.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:25:54 PM by YouLitABonfire »

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 12:31:38 PM »
Out of curiousness, how inteligent are the weres?

* Mindless savage beasts looking for their next kill

* Moderate intelligence, (not going to run into the in and try to eat everyone inside)

* Intelligent, as in they can set "traps" and plot

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 12:32:54 PM »
Think super smart wolves, who are savage eating machines and highly focused upon the goal of getting fed

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 12:48:08 PM »
If thats true, seems like they would kinda stalk the "human" locations and set traps to draw them out though. Like attacking doors and windows, or breaking in to try and lure people out into the night and off away a little before the pack descended on the group.

Would like to see more DM controlled weres of a stronger nature to help bring back the fear :3

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 02:20:22 PM »
Curious, is it possible to animal empathy a werewolf?

I had a buddy manage to animal empathy a broken one once :o

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 02:22:04 PM »

Neither should be possible. Animal empathy only works on animals, beasts, and magical beasts.

Werewolves are shapeshifters and broken ones are aberrations.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 03:11:17 PM »
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 03:19:35 PM »

Usually only happens during high spawns.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 03:44:26 PM »

Neither should be possible. Animal empathy only works on animals, beasts, and magical beasts.

Ah, well... somehow some way my friend was able to animal empathy a broken one some how

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 04:46:45 PM »

Ah, well... somehow some way my friend was able to animal empathy a broken one some how
Did you see it happen yourself? If so, do you remember where you saw this? I have a feeling someone may have set some broken ones to an incorrect race. It was a problem from the early days that I thought was fixed.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

dark_majico

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 03:04:49 AM »
I don't thi
Uhm. Stay inside?

that simple huh?

I don't think the idea was to remove them, it was to change them into something different to add verity.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 11:19:17 PM »
I don't thi
Uhm. Stay inside?

that simple huh?

I don't think the idea was to remove them, it was to change them into something different to add verity.

Yeah. Now that Vallaki is locked up after dark and it has the requisite deserted and foreboding feel to it I wouldn't mind seeing an actual vampire wandering around in Vallaki after dark. maybe not on the main path but in some obscure corner near the nobles or government district. I've just always thought it was odd that a city the size of Vallaki has an endless wererat and werewolf problem, but the one thing you never had to worry about.....on a Ravenloft server....in Barovia...was a vampire wandering around the city after dark. Ive heard such thing actually even exist but are so rare you may not actually know of them (like Im still not sure if the White Wolf really does have a slim chance of showing up outside the Village on nights of the full moon or that was just someone pulling my leg.)