Author Topic: Frustrations with a death in Port Lucine  (Read 1928 times)

Tyras

• Dark Lord
Frustrations with a death in Port Lucine
« on: April 24, 2013, 07:30:46 PM »
I'll be the first to admit that I am unfamiliar with NWN, the PotM server and D&D in general, but I had a very frustrating experience that seems to be salt in the wound here.  I've recently brought a character to the port, my first time out of Barovia and I'm loving it.  I can normally hunt with success the thugs and stuff, but it is a challenge.  So I run into a scenario where I get crit.. Hard!  and die as the result.  Fair enough it happens and there is risk for adventuring, even more so for going out alone and fighting.  But when I decided to take the XP hit so I could get back to my sword that I dropped it put me at the Vistani camp in the Western Outskirts!  Really?  It couldn't have put me outside the city or to the mist camp or something not on the other side of the realms?  Besides having to go back to hunting minks to raise the money to travel back to the port, because the gold drops as well, I have to make the run from Vallaki to Tser Pool which is just annoying.  Any hope of collecting my stuff before somebody else finds themself a nice expensive blade is gone, and I sure as heck wouldn't have taken the XP hit had I known I'd be dumped back in the Western Outskirts.  So there's my rant.  It is very frustrating to me.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: Frustrations with a death in Port Lucine
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 07:52:31 PM »
You'll find Shrines to Ezra around the place. If you put 1gp on the Shrine, that becomes saved as your respawn point.

Sympathies, it can be tough to learn that lesson. :-/
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Tyras

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:33:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice I will be sure to put it to use.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 09:36:42 PM »
I do enjoy hearing about your exploratory nature, very cool for a newish player.
And yes, the Ezra shrines are your trick here.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 10:06:28 PM »
Wait, you can do that?

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 10:30:15 PM »
Wait, you can do that?

Respawn? Yes, but the higher level you are the more XP it costs. At lvl 2 - 4 it's possible to respawn for cheap, but after that it becomes more onerous. At higher levels, respawning costs one/multiple level(s).
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 12:29:35 AM »
Wait, you can do that?

Respawn? Yes, but the higher level you are the more XP it costs. At lvl 2 - 4 it's possible to respawn for cheap, but after that it becomes more onerous. At higher levels, respawning costs one/multiple level(s).

Yes. I know firsthand that as low as level 7 if you respawn you will lose a level so I would advise doing it as an utter last resort. I'm assuming by 14th level or so a respawn would be double, but maybe someone could correct me.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 12:42:53 AM »
I mean the changing re-spawn point thing.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 01:45:58 AM »
I mean the changing re-spawn point thing.
Yes, that's why the Ezrite shrines are usable. :P

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Tyras

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 09:23:37 AM »
A friend and I found the shrine to Ezra in the port and placed our gold coin there by interacting with the shrine.  We both saved afterwards.  Later in the day our party died attempting a bounty.  Our rescue efforts were scattered when the server crashed and players that were helping did not log back in.   Out of frustration and tired of being a ghost and no potential rescue party to haunt in the port, he respawned.  His near dead form stumbled out of this mists at the Vistani camp near Vallaki.  I don't know if the shrine to Ezra thing changes your spawn point.  It did not in this instance, and I don't care to test it out myself haha.  Any ideas on this?  Is the shrine not functioning?  Is ther emore to it than interacting with the shrine and putting a gold piece there?  Is the hokey pokey somehow involved? 

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 09:36:38 AM »
probably a bug error, PM directly to Blue so he will be aware of it as soon as possible