Author Topic: Deserted zones  (Read 1735 times)

saleiv

• New to the Mists
Deserted zones
« on: April 23, 2013, 08:16:28 AM »
Hello again,

I am starting to be a pest on the forums  :lol:

Anyway, we travelled last night (during night) from Dvergeheim all the way to Kroftsburg and we saw... no mobs at all.
With all the signs and dangers I was expecting bandits, or something. This struck me really as unsatisfying.
Another zone that had no population at all was a forest in the north...west. I can't recall the name at this moment, but when you follow the road west from Vallaki, then north, then some more north, then at one point east you run into this section of the forest that is deserted for about 3-4 zones, last of those zones has a single house with an NPC that called us weirdos, and then you run into the Sulken Forest(?) where we nearly had our faces torn off and had to run for our lives.

There is a real sense of horror and despair, and then you run into zones that have no population at all. I think the mountains should be populated with highwaymen, many of them.

Also, did I miss some vital thread in Kroftsburg, or the town really has nothing to be done? I mean, a miner in the inn complained about the trading company, but there is nothing I can really "do" about it. As far as I see, the town has no particular thing going on, other than the delivery of the goods.

Thanks in advance!
Salleh

Ellana Twiggy

Re: Deserted zones
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 09:02:33 AM »
the lack of mobs could have been from the area script over flowing, I am sure that its being looked at even as I type and will be fixed. 
The evil forest, with the mink and plants and the guy who calls you what you are, hehe, I attribute the solitary man being correct after blatantly ignoring the sign  that says danger, evil forest, etc and so forth. If there are suppose to be spawns in that area other than mink and plants I have never seen them. So I think it is probably still being worked on at the moment.

If you are looking for mobs in the southern mountains, you will not find them along the trail. You actually have to go off the trail there and explore the mountains to find any thing that might try to eat you, and I am pretty sure if you dunno what you are getting into it will eat you.  There use to be a section where you would be set upon by highway men types of people, though I believe it was taken out when the southern mountains were redone.  It would be kind of nice to see that added back in.

There is a cave in kroffburg, or in its outskirts so to speak which is rather variable, there is also a path some where that requires climbing equipment.  Of course, I only found that spot once and never found the climbing equip, so no idea where it goes.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
Krofburg is a fairly mob free area, but I know that several of our DMs love to run events up there.

saleiv

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 09:34:59 AM »
Thanks for your replies! :)

Climbing equipment? You mean there is actually a use for the Rope \w Grappling Hook that I've been tugging around?! Excellent!

I went into a cave in the mountains once, while I was being chased by a bear... only to be mauled by another bear at the enterance. (And killed, because he rolled 20).
I was just expecting something to jump us on the road, or something to happen. It's a bit underwhelming when everything is dark and nothing capitalizes on it.

You reckon you can point me in the right direction then? Seeing that every direction I pick is either being worked on, or deserted :P

I have reached that time of experience when sewer rats no longer provide any gain, and neither do the undead in the cave south of the orphanage. (It was very challenging 3 days ago before they reduced the spawns though!)

YouLitABonfire

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 11:18:13 AM »
Life on the Mountain is harsh. Explore around and you'll see why, as for the road being clear? Bears! >.>

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 02:21:50 PM »
There are scripts in place that increase the spawns and strength of the spawns over time.
Which is why some places are sometimes deserted, but at other times impossible for you to beat.

Try traveling east out of town, towards the Village of Barovia, particulary at night.
Chances you'll bump into dangerous mobs in that direction are significantly higher. Or even during the day.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 02:46:46 PM »
It could either be an error or it could be the area wasn't given proper spawns. I'd need to know the exact names of each area to check it though.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 02:47:18 PM »
Time for more ox deaths it seems. :(

edarsenik

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 02:53:55 PM »
Try heading north to the fishing lodge and beyond, there are tons of spawns around, if youre heading west at night, count your blessings that you didnt run into anything, because chances are they would destroy you haha Also heading east at night should only be done with a group Id say, what is it exactly youre looking for anyways? There are bandits to the west scattered around the caves sometimes, I think theyre random type dungeons, if youre exploring its best to search the entire map of an area, the roads are usually the safe route, youll have to leave the road and explore more to really find alot of the areas, there are also alot of caves to the south east in the forest, just make sure to search areas fully and youll be surprised what you find

Through battle, you find validation, liberation, and exultation.

saleiv

• New to the Mists
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 03:43:38 PM »
Such a great community, I love you guys <3

@edarsenik
Aye, we'll do that. We explore all the things in every zone :> Fun stuff. Mostly more forests though, rarely caves. Mountains have caves!

@Bluebomber4evr
You are very involved in all this, a rare quality in admins!
Uh...exact names of zones. Basically all of them from Dvergeheim to Kroftsburg. (Sorry, can't think of the names off the top of my head!)

@Grimson
Will do! That is the only direction we haven't went yet, I believe :P
We found a hobgoblin cave southeast-ish of town. Yay!

@YouLitABonfire
I know! I even got chased by one right into a cave where I got immediately pulverized by another one.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 04:07:03 PM »
Onje important thing to remember, just because an area seems safe the first few times you pass through, there are spawns that appear only during certain seasons (Ie. Bears outside during hibernation months) and also based on other things such as time of month(lunar cycle) etc.  Part of the enjoyment one can recieve is when they walk into an area they have been through a dozen times and find themselves face to face with a monster they have never seen there before. 

Sage - When stories come to life

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 06:16:09 PM »
Bluebomber is literally a walking encyclopedia of the server and the Ravenloft setting.
If in doubt, about anything related to the lore, his word is pretty much law around here.

And yeah, a lot of the spawns are merciless. As in, a lot of the unfamiliar mobs you engage will kill you in seconds most of the time.
And whatever you do, under no circumstances, unless perhaps above level ten... do not engage in combat with boars... ever.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 06:30:17 PM »
If they're the Balinoks areas after Dvergeheim I believe that those areas were never set up with proper spawns. I have those on my list of areas to fix up.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Sorrow00

• Outlander
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 07:11:27 PM »
Its generally safer to travel with a group or with a companion, doesnt matter what time it is, day or night. never know when you'll run into a PC or PCs that will kill/kidnap you, keep this in mind players, adds more depth of story to the server.