Author Topic: Sesto Acerbi - Sins of the Father  (Read 5427 times)

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
Sesto Acerbi - Sins of the Father
« on: April 22, 2013, 02:42:50 AM »
  Sesto sat at his usual table in Tigan's Rest - a corner seat, keeping most of the room observable from under his hood.  He was nearing the end of the last bit of wine he had brought with him from home.  A shame.  They do not make it quite the same in Vallaki.  All whisky and that Tsukia swill.  He ran a coin over and over in his gloved hand, his eyes fixed upon it.  The golden Nightshade dimly reflecting in the low light of the inside of the tavern.  

Seventy-three.  Exactly Seventy-three coins for his life.  It had been done to make a point.  A bitter smirk played at his lips, just at the thought.  It had style, he would give them that much.  Upon first observations this place was not too different from home, but there was a certain hopelessness about this place.  A certain resignation.  A lack of desire to become anything more.  These people were born poor, and would die quite poor as well.  Entire lives planned out, entire paths already tread without variation.  There was no freedom in these men's eyes.  He knew the sullen looks all too well.  Having worked a life of indenture, it was much more clear to him.  It never fails to amaze - the illusions one will hold onto to pretend he is a free man.

He tucked the coin away, grabbing his key from the table and wandering up to his room.  As he stored his blade under the edge of the frame for easy reach, his lips twisted into the first genuine smile in days.  

After these past few weeks, it had become apparent that the lands past Krezk were too far East for seventy-three coins to pay for.

He would have his second chance.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 04:28:48 PM by Legion XXI »

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
Re: Sesto Acerbi - Sins of the Father
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 05:25:57 PM »
Sturben, Borca - Western Quarter - 17 Years Ago

[Sesto awoke in the dead of night to the sound of the howling winter wind outside his boarded window.  He looked around the imposing darkness of his run-down room, little more than a fearful child.  He could hear whispered voices in the room next to him.  An urgency lining the deeper, more mature voice.  He recognized it as his father.  He would be speaking to Leonardo again.  Sesto slid off the bundle of cloth he used for sleeping on and quietly padded over to the wall, placing his ear against it and trying to make out the words through the relentless storm brewing outside.]

"I want you to keep your younger brother safe, Leonardo."

" ...but father"

"Just do as I say.  I will only be gone for a short time, I promise.  Domn Rodrigo needs my help with a business deal, and if we want to stay in his housing I have to make sure he's a happy man."

"How long will you be gone this time?"

"Only for a few nights, my son.  When I return, I will read more from the book of our Lady, yes?  I want you to know I'm proud of you.  I'm doing everything I can to see you two out of this city.  To see that you don't have to live a life of indenture.  You are capable of so much more.  It's what your mother always dreamed for you both."

[The conversation continued for a while, but the wind picked up and blocked out the sound.  Sesto did not like storms.  Every time the storms came, his father went away on business.  He padded quietly over to his mat, curling up in the covers again and waiting.  Before long, his father came into his room.  He heard the booted steps moving lightly across the wood, the muffled clank of metal within his father's pack.  The man crouched down, brushing his son's hair out of his face.]

"I know you are awake.  I could hear you moving in here, you sneaky git."

[Sesto opened his eyes to see his father smiling down at him, a genuine kindness contrasted by a scarred and rugged face.  He reached up and hugged the man tightly, knowing what was to come.]

"Please don't leave.  I'll go out and find some coins in the gutters by the tavern.  We'll make domn Rodrigo plenty of coins and you can stay here with us this time."

"I'm sorry, Sesto.  You know Rodrigo is a picky man.  It's best I do what he says.  After all, he makes sure you are fed and clothed, does he not?  As long as I do honest work for the man, he'll take good care of you.  That's what's important.   We'll have enough coin to make the move to Levkarest when my work for him is over.  I'll take you and Leonardo to see the Great Cathedral.  I promise."

[The boy quietly nodded, letting go of his father and lowering his eyes to the ground.]

"Don't be sad, my son.  I'll be back in a few days.  I'll even bring you and your brother some gifts!  We will spend all day together."

[The man reached down, ruffling the child's hair and pulling him into a hug.  Just then, the door swung open to reveal two men clad in all black gear waiting in the doorway.]

"Domn Acerbi, it's time to move.  We only have a short window and Rodrigo wants us at the east gate while the storm is still in full swing."

[The man nodded, an turned back to his son, placing his gloved hands on his shoulders. ]

"A few days, Sesto.  Only a few days.  You and your brother look out for each other while I'm gone.  I love you both very much."

[The boy looked up into his eyes, then hugged him tightly once more.]

"I'll pray to our Lady every night for your return, father.  Be careful."

[The man stood and smiled down at his son, then reached up and raised his hood to cast a shadow over his face as he turned to the other two men.  He gave a singular nod to them, and they filed out into the hallway with quiet steps.  Sesto ran to his window, peeking through a small gap in the boards to see three men in all black attire fade into the shadows and move down the street toward the east.]

[He wandered out of the door and into his brother's room.  Without a word from either of them, he dragged his blanket in and curled up in the corner across from Leonardo.  They never said it, but it helped them both feel less alone when father was gone.]

« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 05:09:38 AM by Legion XXI »

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 02:05:49 AM »
Sturben, Borca - Western Quarter - 17 Years Ago

[Days went by.  Two weeks, and no sign of his father.  Even as a young boy, Sesto knew something had gone horribly wrong.  He could tell by the way everyone avoided him.  He noticed Rodrigo, the owner of the tenements that they stayed in, could scarcely look at him any more.  Sesto tried to find him, to catch him in his office and speak to him.  It almost seemed like the man was avoiding him.  Scared and alone, Sesto had stopped eating.  Stopped sleeping.  His older brother, Leonardo, tried to reason with him.  Told him his father had just been delayed and he would come home any day now.  But Sesto knew.  He could see the pain in his borther's eyes.  He had seen him speaking with Rodrigo two days past, and didn't come out of his room for the rest of the evening.  All through the night he could place his ear to the wall and hear the soft sobbing of a teenage boy who was now desperately trying to hold together what was left of their family.  They were alone now, and no matter how many hours he spent astaring at the city gates from his window, he knew his father was not coming home this time.  He wondered if it was his fault somehow.  Had he not cried out to the lady Ezra night after night?  Did he not beg of her one thing - to keep his father safe?  Was to unworthy to ask protection of her?  Had his failures of the faith cost his father his life?]

[Sesto sat in the center of his room, blanket drawn tight around himself.  He had taken to staring off into space for hours at a time.  It was his way of coping to the loss that wracked his every thought.  During the day, he'd wander the streets.  Blend in with the crowds going to the market and just keep his eyes low.  He felt comfortable in the crowds, nobody taking note of him.  He was just another young boy, assumed to be running errands for someone.  As he sat in his room tonight though, something was different.  He could hear quiet booted footsteps moving down the hall, stopping outside his door.  After a long pause, his door slid open and one of the black-clad men who had left the city with his father walked in with a limp.  The man's clothes were ragged and he smelled of dried blood and two weeks of dirt.  He walked over to the boy, keeping his eyes low to the floor.  Sesto knew why he was here, and kept his gaze low as well.]

"Vincente-  Your father....he...." [The man paused, awkwardly shifting his weight and fidgeting with his hands a bit] "He was a good man.  He's in the protection of our lady Ezra now.   And...he made plans, should it ever come to this.  I'm going to need you to listen carefully now, because I don't have much time."

[Sesto looked up, his face devoid of emotion.  It was as if a bit of himself died that night.  He looked at the wounded man almost accusingly.  As if he was responsible.  The man took a deep breath, and spoke again in a soft but businesslike tone]

"We all promised each other...if something were to happen...   He made me promise I would get you two a new start out in Levkarest.   He put back a small sum of money with me to see it through, and I've held on to it ever since.  You are both to take the horses lashed just outside the southern gates and ride with me.  I will take care of the arrangements once we reach the city, and help secure you a place to stay.  After that, I have done all I can.  You two will be on your own.    Oh, and.... [The man paused, removing a dirty gold ring from his pocket and handing it over without much ceremony] This was his.  He'd have wanted you to have it.  I'm sorry, it's the best I can do, kid."

[Sesto looked past the man, just now noticing Leonardo listening from the doorway and clutching a white book with his father's name engraved on it.  His brother spoke with the man a while longer and they all gathered what they could carry and set out for the gates.  As they rode away into the night, Sesto didn't even bother to look back.  That city took his father from him, and if he ever walked its streets again it would be too soon.  He didn't know what was in store for him in Levkarest, and he didn't care.  He was simply content to leave behind the Western Quarter.  Leave behind the run down houses and sullen, desperate people who can hardly scratch together a living.  In a twisted way, his father was fulfilling his promise.  It seems he would see the Grand Cathedral after all.]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 05:16:48 AM by Legion XXI »

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 09:58:36 PM »
Levkarest, Borca - 3 Years Ago

[A man in his mid-twenties sits on the bed in a mostly-barren room, hands folded lightly in his lap as he speaks in a calm voice.  He speaks to a younger man, early twenties, clad in full black leathers.  The younger man sits across the room, his back against a wall as he peels off pieces of his torn and battered armor.  He nurses his own  wounds stubbornly.]

"...They found you out behind the Grand Cathedral.  Said you were cold.  Unresponsive.   ....Blooded.  It took them the better part of the night to heal you, and even that was a tentative affair."

"Uh-huh."

"Have you nothing to say for yourself?  Do you think this is some kind of game, Sesto?"

"Calm down, Leonardo.  I'm fine, yeah?  You know how the bloody Anchorites are, always exaggerating."

"You consider THIS fine?  By all rights, you should be dead right now."

[The younger man pulls his glove off and smirks, making a sarcastic warding gesture from his forehead to his chest with his right hand.]

"I guess I'm blessed by the Lady after all, eh?  I should tell her to give you a day off.  They work you too hard, brother."

[The older man stands in sudden anger, then stops and calms himself, smoothing out his white robes and speaking in a calm and even voice]

"You are going to end up just like him.  Is that what you want?  Is this your way of remembering him?  He died to keep us from this life, and yet here you are.  Why?  You know better, brother.  You know where this road leads."

"What do you know, eh?  You serve a book that has killed more people than I have, and still retains the title of "Protector".  At least I KNOW what I am.  At least I can claim to be a man of my word."

"Don't do this again, please.  Just-  take some time off.  Take some time away from your 'business'.  I'll pay for food, rent, anything you need, brother.  Just take some time to rest.  You are going to run yourself to your death out there."

[The younger man has managed to change into some worn brown and green commoner's clothes by now, and slicks his hair back with his hands to himself somewhat presentable.  He takes care to put on a necklace that has a gold ring attached to it, and tuck it under his shirt, just out of sight.  He heads for the door, resting a hand on the handle and looking down a moment, speaking in a bitter tone]

"You're worried about my safety?   ...Pray to your lady for me, then.  Tell me if she answers."

[The young man grins and winks playfully at his older brother.  He slides out of the door and calls out over his shoulder as he departs.]

"Ezra bless, Leonardo!   ...Tell the kids their uncle will have more gifts soon!"

[The older man places a hand on the white-covered book at his side, closing his eyes and running his fingers across the golden engraving on the front.  He speaks in a quiet whisper, voice tinged with sadness.]

"Ezra bless, Sesto.  May you see her mercy and finally come home to the flock, my brother.  I miss you."
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 05:21:32 AM by Legion XXI »

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 06:10:03 PM »
[It's a dark night in Levkarest.  Rain pours down relentlessly from the blackened sky, drenching all who are unfortunate enough to be caught out in the storm.  Deafening claps of thunder ring out as lightning streaks across the sky.  The streets are barren, save for two men clad in all black.  They stand tucked away in one of the alleyways to shield themselves from the downpour as they carefully watch a modest house across the street.  The window of the house is dimly lit by candlelight, and inside there is a  bandaged man being tended to by two green-clad Ezrites.  The two black-clad men speak in muffled tones to each other, just loud enough to be heard over the rage of the wind and rain.]  

"Why didn't he retreat?  Send for the Templars?  Leonardo is no man of the blade.  It's not his way to be out fighting the Legions like that."  [The first man shakes his head while speaking, a hint of worry clear in his voice.]

[The second man offers a light shrug, answering back.]  "He got caught alone on one of his walks.  My contacts say it was one of them cultists around town.  Got surprised when he saw a Layman poking around the entrance to his basement and sent a corpse after him.  Come now Sesto, you know that brother of yours wouldn't just run from something like that.  He still thinks he's got a duty to his faith, and he'd die to uphold it."

[Sesto lets out a soft snort]  "That's the problem.  He's too damned zealous for his own good.  Does he think his new friends would have done the same thing if it was them?  He's going to throw his life away for people who won't even miss him when he's gone."  [He waves a dismissive hand in the direction of the Cathedral down the road]

"He says the same thing about you, you know."  [The man grins from under his hood, then shakes his head with a chuckle]  "What is it with you Acerbi men, anyways?  You are both just like your father!  It's almost like you are racing each other to the grave."

[Sesto shakes his head, lightly holding up his hands in mock innocence] "No, no, things are going to be different now.  I'm giving up the freelance work soon."

"Oh?"  [The man cocks his hooded head to the side, eyeing Sesto with a hint of suspicion.] "Well now, douse me in boiling water.  You going legitimate on me, boy?"

[Sesto chuckles bitterly, looking back to the window from under his soaked hood]  "Not quite, my friend.  But I'm working with a good deal of others now.  No more of this cheap solo work.  I'm going to earn myself a real comfortable life soon.  Could retire, even, if it suits me."

[The hooded man lets out a sharp laugh in genuine amusement.]  "Hah! That would be the day.  An Acerbi man, retired.  You and I both know you don't have it in you, boy.  Your kind don't take well to sittin' around and such, I don't care how much coin you make."

"I suppose we'll see." [Sesto pauses, gesturing to the scene in the window across the street]  "I just don't want to end up like that, you know?  All the coin in the world.... or all the favor with our Lady...  it's all useless if you get yourself killed for it, eh?  You be sure and tell him that.  You let him know that dying won't be doing that kid of his any favors."

"Why don't you tell him yourself?  They say he's going to be fine in a few days.  I'm sure he'll be right back at it, just like before."

"No thanks.  I best get going before too many people take note of me being here and think I'm trying to cut in on their business.  I've got plenty of work to be doing back in Vallaki anyhow, and don't have much time for travel these days.  I came here as soon as I heard what happened, but it took me a right good while to get here and I have quite a road ahead to make it back.   Here, before I go..."   [He fishes out a small bag from his pack, handing it over to the man with a metallic jingle from within.]  "This should cover his needs for a while while he recovers.  Make sure it finds him as soon as he's awake."

"You know he won't accept it, he's as stubborn as you are."

"But you'll insist, yeah?  Tell him you'll spend it all on wine and feed it to children if he doesn't take it." [Sesto grins wryly from under his hood] "Tell you what, you can have ten percent if you just make sure he gets the other ninety.  I don't care how you do it, just make sure he and his family are taken care of until he's back on his feeet.  Oh, and don't tell him I was here.  He wouldn't want me to have seen him like this.   Not to mention, that wife of his would throttle me good if she knew I was in town and didn't stop by for a proper dinner."

"Of course, I understand.   You can count on me.  Don't insult me, though.  After all our history, you want me to take ten percent?  I'll only take nine, but you buy the drinks the next time I'm in Vallaki."

[The two men share a laugh, then shake hands.  After a few more words of farewell, they depart in separate directions.  Sesto disappears into the familiar maze of alleyways, heading for the gate.  It had been a long few weeks on the road, but he was glad to see his brother safe.  Seeing it for himself had been something of a wake up call for him.  Too many men die in the pursuit of the things they want in life.  They grasp them for a brief moment, only to have it all torn away as they fall to the ground.  He promised himself that he wasn't going to end like that.  He'd have the things he wanted in life, but on his own terms.  For the first time in a while, he took his time as he traveled.  A few weeks passed, and he found himself looking at the familiar grey of Vallaki on the horizon.  He was home - or at least his home for now.  His view of this city had changed much since the first time he passed through.  Now, he simply minded his own business as he walked the streets.  Blended into the crowds, finding himself an inn for the night.  He'd wake up in the morning and get back to work, but for tonight he still had a few hours of freedom left.  Uncorking the last bottle of Brimbubbly he brought with him, he sat on the bed and exhaled slowly.  It had been a long trip, but even as his body grew tired, he felt strangely revitalized inside.  He looked over to the mirror and raised the bottle in a mock toast to his reflection.]

"To every tomorrow, and all that it brings.  Luck of the raven willing, may we both live to see it."
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 05:37:57 AM by Legion XXI »

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 04:50:25 AM »
   He and Dumas stood face to face, ten paces apart.

As Kohaku took his place off to the side and readied the signal to begin, his words began to fade out.  The terms had been set and both men had declared themselves ready.  As Sesto drew his hood up, time began to crawl.  The moments before combat always felt the slowest.  His mind raced, charging him with a thousand new thoughts every second.
   They are all watching you.  They all know why this is happening.  They heard what he said.  Will he be right?  Are you going to fold?  Strike him down and be the man you claim to be.  Look at him.  Look him in the eyes.  He doesn't think you'll do it.  He doesn't think you can.  You'll only ever be another Borcan to them if you fail here.  You'll only ever be another Borcan to anyone if you fail here.  Strike him down or you are going to work the front desk for the merchants until the day you die.   The tip of his curved blade quivered as his knuckles turned white.  The leather of the blade's grip issued a soft creak as every muscle in his hand flexed and strangled it in a death grip.  His legs tensed as he struck his fighting stance, ready to charge forward at the signal.  His eyes locked onto his enemy in pure focus, the thoughts in his head falling silent one by one as he prepared to strike.  This was the day he had been training for.  Every cut, every wound, every blow turned away, every face full of sand, every arrow narrowly avoided - it was all building to this moment.  The moment he was finally asked to prove himself.  To display the skills he claimed to have.  He would either prove himself a man of his word, or be struck down like an unruly child and fade to obscurity as those with more skill win the day time and time again.  The images flashing through his mind dulled and faded as Kohaku slowly raised his flintlock.  Sesto barely even heard the muffled boom of the weapon when it fired.  His world had become quiet.  His world had become order.  He had one simple task - defeat the man he was now engaged in combat with.  

Nothing else mattered.

You're ready.  Do it.

They took steps toward each other, drawing back blades for their first strike.  Another slow step in complete silence.  Another.  Time crawled by for Sesto as the two moved toward each other.  Their blades met in between them with a deafening clang, showering them both in sparks as they each recoiled from the blow.  In that moment, the sound rushed back.  The speed and frenzy of combat, balanced by the order and flow of their blocks and precise strikes.  Dumas was quicker than Sesto, by far.  The man's arm was just a blur as he thrust his rapier forward.  But Sesto was much stronger, and used his baton to turn Dumas' blade away, leaving him open for a strike from his scimitar.  The two exchanged blows at first, Dumas landing a glancing blow that nearly pierced Sesto's shoulder, and Sesto making powerful sweeps with his Scimitar at the thicker points of his opponent's armor.  While everything was riding on this fight, he was given strict orders to ensure he didn't kill his foe.  That would look bad.  Reckless.  Undisciplined.  He was here to win favor, not weaken his new family.  After a short time and a few more solid blows, Dumas fell to the ground.  Sesto had caught him hard on the chin with the flat of his blade, putting everything he had into the strike.  As his body hit the hard floor of the training room, Sesto's eyes raised and leveled on the grinning man across the room from him.  They both knew what this meant.  In that moment, he could relax again.  He reached up and drew back his hood while the spectators rushed over to greet the two.  Dumas was seen to, and made his way across the room for a drink and some time to recover.  Sesto watched him make his way across the room with a much less predatory gaze now.  Now, he can try and build a friendship with the man.  His own record was intact, having defeated Kohaku in the same room the day before.  He had put up much more of a fight, his magic being a significant advantage.  Still, Sesto had come out on top.  He wasn't going to give them any reasons to look down on the Borcan.  He wasn't going to let them see him on his back if he could help it.  He knew they'd all be evaluating him in the days to come, and he would give them no reasons to speak ill of him to the Captain.

In the wake of the fighting, another challenger stepped into the ring.  Cord, the halfling that he had heard so much about.  Could this subhuman really pose a threat to him?  He wanted to write this small man off as his third victory in this training room, but something about his quiet confidence in his two daggers stuck Sesto as genuine.  This little man knew what he was doing, and he was prepared for a proper fight.  He had just watched Sesto take Dumas apart, yet he felt as if he could stand a chance.  As he stuck his stance, Sesto knew better than to underestimate him.  This was merely exhibition at this point, he had fulfilled what he came here to do.  He had defeated the man who voiced his doubt in him.  That's all it was about, really.  Silencing the voices of doubt.  Giving them a reason to believe this Borcan had more to him than they first thought.  Proof that he was not like the others they have met.  A show of his desire to become more than the tales of Boritsi poisoners that kept Barovian children from eating stray food they found.

Combat was started and they rushed forward to meet each other.  Cord was even faster than Dumas - too fast for Sesto to deflect his blows.  His saving grace was that the little halfling was weaker by far, and his strikes did not land nearly as heavily.  He swung two and three times for each strike Sesto made, threatening to bury him in small nicks and cuts.  After a minute of being bled a drop at a time, Sesto shifted his stance to a defensive one.  He fought in a much more reserved way, making careful and calculated strikes.  He knew this quick adaptation in mid-combat was his only chance at a victory here.  They traded a few blows, but most were turned away.  Sesto trying to overpower the small halfling with a small number of strong strikes and Cord trying to swiftly strike through his guards with a tempest of steel.  The fight dragged on two minutes.  Three.  Four.  Both men were glowing bloodied and tired, but neither wanting to yield to the other.  Eventually, voices called out over the shower of sparks and clang of metal on metal.

"Draw?"

"On three!"

"One! Two! ..."

Both men quickly stepped back, panting.  They held their weapons up for a brief second, ready to turn away a late attack, but combat had ceased and the room fell silent once again.

"You're pretty good."

"You're not bad yourself."

Simple statements, yet genuine.  It was clear they had both surprised each other in a way.  The two men sheathed their blades and respectfully bowed to one another.  Each content to let the mystery of who would have won linger on in the minds of those who had been watching.  Everyone likely had their bets, but one thing was certain - the fight had been nearly dead even.  Surely they would both wonder about the answer themselves, but for now it was clear that a mutual respect had been reached.  Today, they were both victorious.  Sesto could not help but smirk at the thought.  He generally hated the little "subhumans", as he called them.  As they sat side-by-side afterwards, eating apples and listening to Kohaku's outlandish stories, he couldn't help but set aside his prejudices for a brief moment and evaluate the man in earnest.  In the few days Sesto had known him, this halfling had proven to be much more than he first took him to be.  He was strangely respectful, a good combatant, and seemed genuinely dedicated to this...family.  Strange, how they all helped each other like this.  There was no honor among thieves, and he didn't pin this to be any different, but there was a genuine attitude of cooperation that was new to him.  It wasn't the desperate fighting over scraps he had seen back in Sturben.  These men wanted more out of life than to be petty thieves.  For the first time, he realized what it truly meant to be in a professional organization.  In a strange way, he felt at home here among these men.  As Kohaku waved his arms and carried on with his story, Sesto settled more into his seat.  These were good people, all in all.  He had found himself a home in this city he once thought so low of.  He still didn't much care for Vallaki, but it had a certain value to it now that he had a place within to call his own.  It was as close to a home as he'd had in a long time.

After a few more stories of times past, they shuffled out of the room one at a time.  Headed out on a salvage run that would ensure Sesto's muscles were taxed as fully as they could possibly be taxed in a single day.  It was a long blur of spells, arrows, and blade strikes, but they all managed to file back in when it was all over.  They split the take and headed to their rooms, exhausted.  

Every muscle in his body ached.  Sesto sat slumped back in his chair, staring at the ceiling.  Dirty clothes and pieces of scuffed armor plating were strewn about the floor of the room.  He was too tired to shuffle over to the bed just yet.  A moment more of rest and he'd take the first step.  Just a few more seconds to gather his thoughts.  At some point he drifted off in the chair.  His mind wandered to the world of dreams as he sat motionless, save for the slow and rhythmic rise and fall of his bare and bruised chest.  He slept more soundly in that chair than he had slept in any bed for years.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:52:42 AM by Legion XXI »

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 01:57:53 AM »
This world will be the death of thee,
Should greed be left unchecked.
The finest things in life, you see,
Tempt most to early death.

I watch the faces, always.  I watch them come and go as a tide.  The mist swells, and out they march.  Bold.  Intrepid.  Wide-eyed and full of life.  And then I see them no more. Or worse - I see them again.  I see them seasoned, see them learned.  The life fades from their step and their eyes grow distant and thoughtful.  This work has a way of withering you, day by day.  It's a small process.  Hardly noticeable at first.  But watch someone long enough, and you'll see it.  The gods they once trusted their lives to now only receive lip service.  The closest of friends keep the sharpest of steel in their sleeves as they shake hands.  The adventure that once sent them running them forward into the unknown now inspires a hunter's creep.  I suppose at some point we all grow up a bit.  We realize that the legends were exaggerated.  The rewards we were promised require much more sacrifice than we were told.  We look back, and we see how much of ourselves we had to give away for the things we wanted most.

Yet - we can't go back to our lives from before.  It's a door that just won't close.  No matter how far away you run, no matter how deep you bury yourself, it calls to you.  It's a siren's song that you know the others can hear too.  And so you run forward again.  You race the others to the prize that awaits.  This time will be different.  This time I'll find what I'm looking for.  This time.

Next time.

Maybe they are all just looking for the wrong thing.  I feel as if I've finally found what I was looking for.  I've found a legend that won't turn to ash in my hands.  And so I pursue it as slow as I can, fighting against the rhythm of my own eager boots racing across the ground.  

This time will be different, indeed.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:11:50 AM by Legion XXI »

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 03:47:48 AM »
Blooded, you have failed today
And chances came and went.
The foolish man would draw his blade.
The coward would repent.
Where does that leave you, my friend?
Are you still pressing on?
You'll walk this road until its end.
You're faithful to the Siren song.

I haven't felt so taken in a long time.  We weren't ready, and it showed.  We weren't coordinated, and it cost us.  We weren't sharp, and so our blades didn't cut.  It was an awakening for us all, and one I won't soon forget.  Everything so far has been so simple.  I've done my jobs and collected my pay and everything went according to plan.  Tonight, however, it became clear how unprepared I was for these legends we've heard so much about.  I understand now, why those who go the distance in this world bear that look that they all do.  Every time I close my eyes and try to let sleep's embrace come, I feel his blades digging into my back.  He never made a sound.  His boots never touched the stone.  He was a ghost of a flower, his petals drifting in the night air.  It was all I could do to fight the darkness threatening to close my world out.  It was all I could do to keep myself together as he spoke.  His words, burning into my mind, were the only thing I could hear beyond the maelstrom of pain.  A short time later, the Boss' disapproving gaze at my choice to bring an outsider in.  After that, the condescending tone in that noble twist's voice.  It all adds up to the same end.  We were beaten.

The hand that wields the blade, he said.  We walked right into it this time.  We made it easy.  I fear that if we don't pull ourselves together and start working as professionals, there won't be much of a chance to find out if we learned from it or not.  Only a day ago I was so confident.  Failure scarcely crossing my mind as I received my orders.  Now?  Now I sit in my room and write the night away, too nervous to sleep.  Now I am forced to ask myself how it could all go so wrong, and more importantly, what I need to do to ensure it never happens again.  A failure like this can cost a man his career.  Another failure like this will cost a man much, much more.  A sharp reminder that I am ever a student of this living.  A reminder that I must continually learn and adapt, or I'll only ever be what I am right now.  How humbling to know that as far down as I look to see some, there are those who look further down to see me.  Let me never grow comfortable in my skill.  Let my mind never grow dull and content.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:07:25 AM by Legion XXI »

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »
I slept last night, only when my body finally gave in to exhaustion.  Every shadow, every creak of the floor.  It felt so real, yet they tell me it wasn't.  Did I ever make it off that bloodied floor?  Am I even awake?  Am I even alive?

I struggled to make sense.  I tried to compose myself.  To write the report.  

It took me so many tries.  I don't want to think about it.                                    They'll ask.  I'll try not to answer.  But they'll keep asking.     I need help.           I don' t want to talk about it, but I need help.         There's only one I can trust with this.

He'll think I'm crazy, like the others.   He'll ask questions.  What if he turns me away?  Worse - what if he believes me?   What has that man seen that I don't know?  I try to look in the mirror, but all I see is that room.

The room the fisherman spoke of.

Maybe that's where Andrea went.   It all makes sense now.

ANDREA.  He screamed for her, but we just laughed.   Had I known what she'd been though, I would't have.  I wouldn't have.

They took her, and they came back for him.  Him - Subject #5062.  Just numbers in a game, and the house always wins.  We would have saved him a fate worse than death by simply killing him.  If only someone were so kind to me.  If only someone had dragged me away before the Doctor's shadow came.  

I struggle to make sense of what I saw.  Of what I felt.      I was dead.  I felt myself die.  I watch it kill twenty other men and saw their bodies crumple before my eyes.  Always that same purple light.  I watched Scarlet gut herself as I lay on the floor, life fleeing my body.    

"Tell my brother I'm sorry."

And then we were fine.  And then there was that familiar knock on the door, and a man with a blade came in.  A blade!  How boring by comparison!  To think we'd fear death by blade after what we had just witnessed.  Or death at all - for were we even alive?  The longer it went on, the more sure I was that I was still alive.  He argued with us.  Said we'd been asleep.  It's not possible.  I can't make sense of it.  I can't put this together.  I've been given pieces that don't fit and I'm trying not to let on how broken this world has become for me.  I try not to let people see the fear behid my eyes as I speak to them.

What if it comes back?

I actually prayed last night that it wouldn't.

What if it comes back?

We put up a pitiful fight.

It's going to come back.

And this time we won't wake up.

I couldn't tell the others aside from the report I wrote.  I didn't want to write it, but I did.  It involves the Black as well.  I needed to warn the Family.

I am truly alone in this fight, and Scarlet is the only one who saw what I saw.  She's the only one who knows what I know.  

I really don't like it when it points at us.  I feel like it knows something I don't.  Something about me that I have hidden from even myself.  

And then it screamed.

I watched myself die twice today.
The shadow's scream took me away.
And then I woke and tried to find.
The stolen pieces of my mind.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:12:02 PM by Legion XXI »

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 03:05:19 PM »
No sweeter taste, no sharper blade.
Behold this poison that we've made.
Further down we'll drag each other.
A bloodied home and a Tigan's brother.
And if we make it to road's end,
I'll drink the poison too, my friend.

How many times have I advised the others against the trap I now edge toward?  That's the worst of it, really.  The undeniable truth that I know better.  I've seen the cost of this kind of behavior.  I've watched good men reduce themselves to nothing at this dark hand, this slayer of men.  Ties like that are a luxury we cannot afford in this world of ours - this world of dark alleys and hidden blades.  Every attachment, a weakness.  Every friend, a target.  Every lover, an enemy.   Despite the risks, I don't turn away.  She saved my life when the shadow descended upon me.  She's the only one who saw what I saw.  Felt what I felt.  The only one who's ever tried to dig past the armor I've made for myself all these years.  I repaid her, of course.  I cleansed the poison that had been sent through her blood.  That should have been the end of it.  I should have called it square and walked away.  Nobody would have blamed me. 

Yet here I am, finding a certain comfort in the company of someone who's been wronged just as I have.  Someone who shares the same wounds.  I know that at the end of my road, whenever it may come, I'll look back and see my time in two separate lives.  The life before the shadow killed me, and the life after.  Things are so vastly different now, despite how I try to pretend they aren't.  I threw myself back at my work, buried myself in tasks.  Anything to make the memories fade faster.  I try not to talk about it or remember what it was like to lay there on that floor, full of regret as my life bled away.   It has become clear to me how foolish it was to live for survival.  To aimlessly continue on, blaming my predicament on other things.  The truth of the matter is that we're all here in this den of thieves because it's where we want to be.  We're here because the things we want in life don't come to those who walk within the lines.  It's long since stopped being about survival.  Whatever the reason, it's a path you don't ever fully turn from.  That much has become clear.

Sometimes I wonder if I've looked at things the wrong way all along.  Sometimes I consider taking a chance like the others, but I know I'm not quite ready to inflict that kind of wound upon myself.  It still strikes me as a greater risk than I can take.  Not just for me, but for everyone involved.  Though I suppose for better or worse - if it ends up being a mistake, I won't have to regret it for long.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 03:04:35 PM »
"What will it be, Acerbi?"

Sesto looked forward in horror at the scene before him.  The room he stood in was massive and dark, and he was unable to see the roof or walls from where he was.  In front of him - a shadowy being, arms spread wide.  To either side of the being, two large stakes were driven into the wooden floor, and a captive tied to each one.  The stake to the left bearing the Captain.  The stake to the right bearing Scarlet.

"We require an answer."

The voice was insistent, angry.  He struggled to speak but was paralyzed with fear as the creature slowly raised an arm, pointing at him.

"ANSWER US!  WHERE DO YOUR LOYALTIES LIE?!  YOU WILL CHOOSE, OR YOU WILL DIE.

LOYALTY TO YOUR FRIENDS OR LOYALTY TO YOUR FAMILY?

TO YOUR CAUSE OR TO YOURSELF?

TO YOUR BROTHERS OR TO YOUR DEBTS?"

Anger suddenly gripped him, and he drew a dagger from his belt.  Emboldened by rage, he rushed forward lunged at the shadowy beast, sinking his steel into the abomination.  The beast leaned in close to him, whispering in his ear with a wicked and joyful tone.

"You chose.... unwisely."

The being's whisper faded from his mind, and before his very eyes the monster before him transformed into the image of his brother, Leonardo.  Hurt and confusion filled his eyes as he drew his last halting breath.  He tried to speak, but no words came out.  His gaze fell down toward the dagger in his gut - to the crimson soaking the dark green robe he'd been so proud of.  He slowly fell backwards, the entire world slowing to a crawl as if time itself was distorted.  As his back hit the unforgiving ground, there was a burst of light.  Both stakes were ignited in flames, and the screams of Sesto's Captain and only friend filled his ears.  He looked from one to the other, unable to move as the flames consumed them both.

And then he opened his eyes to find himself in his room.  He drew in a deep breath, exhaling slowly afterwards.  Stepping out of bed and grabbing his shirt from the table, he began to dress himself for the day's work. 

It was going to be another one of those days.  This was becoming all too familiar of a routine.

He geared himself up with practiced care, and walked outside into the daylight once again with a heavy and tired look in his eyes.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 05:01:45 PM »
   I had thought he was joking, at first.  Such a crazy notion, as if he could just do whatever he wanted.  Usually when people disappear, it's because they were dragged into some hole by a wolf or other manner of beast.  Not him, though.  That would be horribly unfitting for a man so seasoned.  No, he's got more in store for himself than I'd probably ever care to know.  So I didn't ask.  Whatever it is, I'm sure I'd sleep more soundly not knowing.  But when I asked him what to tell the others, his answer came so easily, yet was so complicated in itself.

"Keep the legend of the Owl alive"

As if I even had to do anything in that regard.  What a strange thing to be trusted with.  Though he'll never know, it did me a favor greater than he could have imagined.  It was in the moment as he walked off into the darkness that I realized how men like him go on.  It was then, as I watched him fade away into the night that I understood what it takes for a mean bearing that look - that weight, to get out of bed each morning and press on.

I still don't know why or how, and I still don't understand what drives a man to something like that, but one thing has been made clear.  If you want to advance yourself in this world, you have to keep putting one boot in front of the other.  You can not let yourself be dragged down by the darkness, by the fear.  You can not let your past haunt you into indecision.  I have lived in my own past for most of my life, and now for the first time I consider letting it all go.  Starting my own path, forging my own legend.  Step out of my father's shadow.  Let him have the rest he deserves, fading to the comfort of quiet memory.  The truth is, we've all seen things.  We've all been bloodied, beaten, broken.  It makes you no more special than the victims before you, or the countless that will follow.  What makes a man something more is his ability to take experience from such a thing without letting it consume him.  What makes a man more is his ability to keep pressing on, knowing it might very well lead to his end.  To stick your hand over the flame with the confidence of one who has never been burned.

It's a large step, but it's one I intend to take.  A shame that I knew him for such a short time.  A shame that I could not walk in his step longer.  Such a man passes knowledge even without saying a word.  Legends like this shape the world around them, whether the intend to or not.  Wherever he ends up in his travels, I hope it's what he wanted.  It's not much, but I think he's earned that much at least.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 04:01:41 AM »
I wanted to know if I could trust him with my life, a test of loyalty.  I suppose my problem is that I've been asking the wrong questions all along.   A disturbing revelation has come forth tonight.  I saw the true face of loyalty, and it is not what we read in the hero's tales.  I watched a man prepare to kill one of his only friends.   I became to him what my nightmares from before were to me.

Loyalty.

Your friends or your Family.
Your cause or your beliefs.
Your brothers or your orders.

I forced a lesson upon him that can not be taught with words.  You have to feel it.  You have to stand strong as your veins run cold with the cruel ice that takes them.  Remain firm as your mind crosses out those you love one by one  You have to make a choice to dedicate to something bigger than yourself.  As I told Pescariu, it's the kind of choice that wounds a man to his very soul, no matter which path he takes.  There is no way to swing the blade in which it does not also cut yourself.

I was truthful about one thing, at least.  I don't envy him.  That much was painfully true.

I've seen the cold reality of loyalty now.  A lesson I won't soon wash from my hands.

To be truly loyal to a cause, you can't be a friend or a hero.  You can't be a companion or a brother.   You must be a killer.  You must be a thief.  You must be a Tigan.  Ezra help us all the day true loyalty becomes a common trait.  The world would be an orderly, trustworthy, and unforgivably cold and barren place devoid of all life or feeling.  I stand today guilty of equal measures of pride and regret, that I was able to pass on a lesson of this magnitude to a green face.  I am equally proud and disgusted with myself, that I was able to force the hardship I endured onto another for him to learn.

I suppose by my own definition, I'm truly loyal to my cause after all.  For whatever twisted compliment that is, after tonight.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 02:19:47 AM »
There are days that I feel as if I never truly wake up.  Nights I feel like I never truly sleep. 

So much has happened that I can not understand, despite my attempts.  I witness things that I long to strike from my mind.  Images that burn themselves to my eyes.  Voices whispered into my ear that never cease.

"Acerbi"

And he knows my name.

"Acerbi"

And my brother shares it.

"Acerbi"

And he looked into my eyes, and made a promise. 

"No matter when it is that your life-blood leaves you, know that THIS was the day you truly died"

And he is a man of his word.

When I am alone, the memories flood back.  I lay in my bed, curled up from fear of what might wait for me with the coming day.  I drift off into a world of terror - let it never be said that the painter does not have food.  I feel as if my thoughts alone could feed him for eternity.  Every move a failure.  Every word misspoken.  Every sword strike just off target.  When I am alone is the only time in which I truly feel the weight of what I've done.  My thoughts are the most fearsome enemy I've ever faced.  I want to reach out to Leonardo - write to him and warn him of what is to come.  I know they'd track the letter, it would only lead them right to him.  My only hope is that he catches word and flees, but I know he won't. He will trust in his guardian to keep him safe, like he always has.  I have not earnestly prayed in years, but tonight I find myself begging anyone who will listen.  My sin is not his to bear.  Please do not let it end like this.  Not like this.

And what of my new family?  Is all of this worth it in the end?  There are times I ask myself why I do not just walk away.  I tell the others of Legacy, and of those who come after us.  Of a new beginning.  I hope my speech inspires them, but do I even believe it myself?  Sometimes I feel as if we'll fail no matter what we do.  Sometimes I want to place my gear on the Captain's desk, turn my back, and start over in a new country.  But that is not who I am.  I will not lie down and take the beating.  I will become stronger from my failures.  I will become the man my Family needs me to be to secure victory.  I refuse to abandon what family I have left.  Edwin and Violetta are the only people I can confide in.  The only people who have seen the things I've seen and stood at my side.  The foundation of this new era of Vardo is stained with our blood, and we wade through it to face those who seek to snuff out the flame we desperately try to hold on to.  We are met with success and failure both, and times are always bleak.  We are beaten, bruised, burned, and cut.  We are weary and exhausted.  But when the orders come in, we stand side by side.  I realized that I am no longer in this for Legacy.  I can no longer say it is just about the coin.  I look to my brother and sister, and I know it is about the person next to me.  It is about the only family I have left.  It is about ensuring a future for myself and those who bleed alongside me.  I hold these two in the highest respect, even though I can not show it at times.  I could not ask for two finer companions.  For two more loyal family members.   Though we walk the path of the disgraced underlings, we walk it together.  Let those above us peer down all they want, but it is to us they come when Family is on the line.  I made them a promise, and I intend to see it though.  For my Family.  For Leonardo.

As many as it takes.
And I am also a man of my word.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 03:38:51 PM »
   How strange it was, to see my own life played out before me.  My own poor choices, my own betrayals.  Leonardo is a man who has lost what he loved, been cast out of his home, and feels he nothing left.  He is treading the same path that sent me to where I am today, and I was the one that set him on it.  In my pursuit of wealth and standing, I have gained much.  But I have taken everything from the one I care about most. 

The pain you feel when your brother looks you in the eyes, and asks you why his wife is dead.  His gaze accusing, he already knows the answer.  What was I to say?  What was I to do?  I wanted to embrace him, to reach out and swear that I would save her, but it was too late.  She's gone, and it is my fault.  I pleaded with him - swore that it was not what I meant to happen.  I told him of the lengths I went through to ensure that this day never came.  How much I left behind. 

"But it happened anyway."

And my very soul recoils from his cold words, knowing the truth in them.  When I looked into the painter's canvas, I saw my greatest fear.  I saw my brother back home in Sturben, the Wyrmsbreath awaiting him.  But now I am forced to consider a darker truth.  What do I fear more?  My brother's death?  Or my brother walking the same path I've walked, just to live?   Would it be more merciful for him to have died in defense of his wife and child, or is the fact that he still draws breath good enough for me, even if he has to deceive and kill?  I swore to him that I would make this right.  That I would end this.  And on my family name, I will.  I will never stop.  I will never rest.  Not until the last dog who had a hand in this has been stricken from the list.  My promise to Silivasi has been fulfilled, I let his brother live.  A life for a life.  If he ever crosses my path again, no such commitments will stay my hand.

Think of my actions what you will, Leonardo.  Everything I do, I do for family.  Every drop of blood, every thrust of cold steel.  For us.  It matters not to me if our Lady forgives me of my sins when the deeds are finally done.  It only matters that I can still call you brother.  That I can look to you and no longer feel the shame of what I've done.  I hope for the day when I can again look you in the eyes, free of the guilt that twists my gut.

As many as it takes.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 03:05:38 PM »
   I half expected her to bleed into the shadows and flee like the others.  To taunt me from the darkness as she made her escape, proving that I was no match for her without ever drawing a blade.  As we stood face to face, the length of the darkened warehouse between us, it became clear that she didn't intend to run.  She knew I wouldn't let her go so easily.  No, she drew her blades and ice gripped her tone.  This was going to be a fight to the death.  A child against a giant.  Though we wore the same colors, she was no family of mine.  Never was.

"You know I can't just let you walk away from this."

"Boy, you don't get to where I am without learning a few tricks along the way."

So confident and cold, she didn't think I stood a chance.  Did I, even?  Could it have happened any other way?  I knew I could not just let her leave the city after everything she had done.  I would not watch her walk out the door after slitting our throats, as Wintermoon did.  Schala Wintermoon.  Never has there been a more loyal traitor.  Never has there been a more dangerous ally with the best of intentions.  This family's blood flows knee-high in her path, despite her best efforts.

"Wintermoon let me walk out."

"She will pay for her sins, and so will you."

"Then I assume you can not be reasoned with?"

She backed away and I knew what was to come.  We both moved at the same time, each of us trying to end the fight before it began.  The following explosion had broken my sight of her, burned the front of my leathers.  I could feel the heat threatening to eat through to my skin as I stumbled back.   And then in an instant, she was on me.   In that moment just before she sunk her blades into me, I truly realized how outmatched I was.   I experienced the difference between men and legends.  It's not about who should have won or what the plan was.  It's not about tactics, or trickery, or skill.  There is a kind of person who simply refuses to be bested, who defies all attempts to be contained.  A level of skill so rarely reached that it is nigh impossible to account for it.  Florinova was more than a match for me and she knew it.  Reveled in it, in the last moments before combat.  I could feel it in her tone, see it in her movements.  She paced back and forth as a predator.  I am the one who trapped her in her den, but she knew I could not keep her there for long.

My greatest luck is that she was too busy fleeing the city to make sure she finished the job.  I remember awakening to a pool of blood, the smell of black powder.  As the last memories rushed back, the weight of my actions settled firmly on me.  She was gone.  I had missed my chance.

Should you set foot in my city again, Florinova, I will have you.  Whatever it takes, I will find a way.  Too long have I tasted the bitterness of defeat.  Too long have I stayed my hand while my own family pushes a blade into my gut, smiling to my face as they do.  I hate that woman with all that I am.  Even the Boritsi, who have stripped me of everything, only act out of desire to break their enemies.  It is a tactic I understand.  But this woman?  She was family.  There is nothing more low, no sin greater, no deception more dark than one who would turn her blade on her own family.  A traitor.  Never have I uttered a word more bitterly.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 05:36:56 AM »
'Do not forget us' plead your kin,
Your brother, sister, ally, friend.
They try and try to hold your favor,
Wary of their master's sabre.
But can you know when you have crossed it?
That line, that line, you walk so often.
Friend or foe, you fret and dread,
Keep safe the neck or lose the head.
When you are gone, they feel no fears,
Make no mistake, they shed no tears.
The Regicide never claims the crown,
It was stolen 'fore it struck the ground.
This crown is yours, so hold it close.
Safe from those you trust the most.

I sometimes wonder if perhaps I was right before.  Words only intended to cause harm, but yet they bear the weight of truth.  That perhaps the color of our uniforms is really all that separates us.  For all the pain they have caused me, for all the lives they destroy - would we not do the same?  Given the chance, would we not take tenfold what they have taken from us?  I find myself wondering who even drew the first drop of blood.  It has long since faded to obscurity, both sides urging themselves onward over the mounds of dead that claw at their feet.  We shout and we stab, swearing to avenge those who have fallen to our enemy yet we are harmed more by those we call Family with each day.  I ask myself, who avenges those who die to their own family?  Who takes up the banner, rallies those to the cause of purification over eradication? For each person, there is a different truth.  For me, my truth is that in a strange way I would like to thank Florinova.  Without her, I could have never understood the true meaning of Family.  That it is a hand, hiding a blade.  No matter which side of the mountains you are on.  If ever I found proof of a Grand Scheme at work, it was this.  I could have never taken up this mantle were it not for those trying to cut it from my shoulders.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 07:55:01 PM »
The Grey and the Red

A trip to misted lands last dark,
The path a liar's cobbled road.
The first of blades finds its mark,
Grey's heart was dead and slowed.
And then the fires were risen,
From Iadul came the Red.
The shadow of a woman
Horned crown upon her head.
Her hands reached out for vengeance,
Her voice a snake's fell hiss.
Of all this spoken semblance,
The truth's no narrow miss.
In the end we stand tall,
Our boots atop the scarred mound.
And two as one they fall,
Gold won't bury in the ground.

The Tigan

Then on that night it rained,
And blood fell from the sky.
Their last expressions pained,
A shadow as they die.
And who are you so few,
That you think yourself above?
If only your Family knew,
You act not out of love.
Put on your best white robe,
Be most faithful to the ends.
You'll stick a dagger in this city,
You'll push until it bends.
Let no man call you faithless,
Let no man warm the brand.
You know you can't forsake this,
You bear the Tigan's hands.

Today I found myself with an endless list of meetings.  Each one different, yet they all possessed a resounding familiarity that only subsided when I sat in my office and slept for the first time.  I wonder if this is how our silver cousins in Levkarest feel.  You're alive when your hand holds the blade, but then you wake to find it replaced with a quill.  A nervous thought, to muse that perhaps this is what lies in store for thieves who live long enough to wither from age.  Perhaps they grow used to it and learn to glean a kind of accomplishment from it.  Or perhaps the most merciful thing you can do to a thief is to end him before he falls from his height.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 05:20:24 AM »
There are moments in life that almost eclipse the rewards they bring.

The ice of a Barovian winter in your blood as one quiet step follows another, weaving a twisting path.  The sound of an arrow flying past you like a serpent's warning hiss.  The ground alive beneath your boots as you side around the side of your towering foe.  The rush; the moment of frozen time as you secure your victory with a final strike past an enemy's guard.

It makes you feel alive.  In these moments, we are not withered away by time.  
Ah, to be young again.

I hold a responsibility on my shoulders now, and how well it hides among the gift of cloth.  It mostly chooses to manifest in the form of a cell made of bookshelves and a desk.  Of papers and meetings.  Saddening, that a man who has broken into guarded vaults is held by a door that isn't even locked.  I speak ten times more than I used to, but only say half as much.  They tell me I've changed.  Yet - I can't help but wonder why they have stayed the same.  Were they not there with me every step of the way?  They say I think too much about what I've seen.  I get the feeling their eyes were closed for the bloodiest parts.  My brother isn't the only one that died under Levkarest's diplomacy.  There are nights that I swear I hear the enemy's footsteps just outside my door.  Strange that in my dreams I would think it to be an enemy, when I am sleeping among those who swore the same promises I did.  Think of me what you will, my brothers and sisters.  My resolve has never faltered.  When I took up this mantle, I made a promise.  This cloak will fall from my shoulders in one of two ways: promotion or death.  I am not one to turn colors for gain and never will be.  True, there is not much that separates them from us.  We are hardly more noble or moral, narrow or faithful.  The question is begged, then, what makes us different?  I ask, but an answer has yet to come.

I don't expect them to understand, only to respect.  A time will come when they will question my methods, but let them never doubt my reasons.  Let them know that in everything I do, I keep my word to this family.  Should a day come when I fall short, I expect them to do the same.  Until that time, I will uphold the code that my word is sworn to.  I will reach ever onward and pursue my own goals.  I am a man of my family, but I am not without my own ambitions.  Anyone who claims they would not write their own role into the Grand Scheme given the chance is a poor liar indeed.

Were my brother more like me, I would have paid in full for my sins long ago.  Ironic, that the cause of our disagreements was also the shield that spared his life and my own.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 10:31:10 PM »
At first, it was almost easy.  A simple matter of remaining calm, of waiting.  I probably passed most of my first day with sleep.  Here I lay now, though, wondering when they will come again.  I know better than to scream or fight, it would gain me nothing.  The same reason I submitted to his orders.  Once you reach a certain depth, sometimes the only way out is to keep digging.

And oh, how I've put that to the test.  I think I preferred dealing with the Boritsi.  At least the agents he sent after me were still among the living.

But to be fair, I knew this was coming.  I knew I was going to pay for what I did.  But I did it anyways.  I said I had no choice, but in the end I suppose I really did.  I just chose what any other man would have.  Life over death.  Another day over a bitter end.  A chance to reclaim the ground I lost.

For now, back to sleep.  I have enough thoughts to keep me busy.  I try to waste as much of my time with sleep as I can.  Before I know it, this will all be over and I will be either free or dead.  Either way, this box won't hold me forever.  Either way, there's nothing I can do about it now. 

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 06:59:27 PM »
I hate it.  I hate every moment of it.  I cannot ignore the smell, the taste, the feeling of the blood as it crawls down my throat.  I keep telling myself to remain calm, to not worry about things beyond my control.  The more I worry, the slower time will go. 

But oh how many things I have been given to consider!  I hear all the voices like a choir in my mind, each singing a different song.  Before me is a hallway with many doors, so how could I choose only one?  Behind each of them lies death, that much is clear.  But for whom?  That is yet to be decided.  I solidified my rank through blood.  Only fitting that through blood I also lose it.  And there is so much of it.  An endless sea, an ever-rising tide.  What will become of me when my sentence is carried out?  Is this blood, this dark, my fate?  The taste never leaves my mouth.  Blood, blood, always blood.  And in this small space, it has nowhere to go.  It pours from my mouth long after he leaves, it refuses to let me rest.

But I must calm myself, again.  Always calm.  Panic is unbecoming of a professional.  I have received gifts, as well.  Gifts to consider, to reflect on.  How fitting of an end, to place into a box the locks that sought to keep me constricted.  I'm sure the locks will understand.  It was their idea, after all.

Good to see my sense of humor is intact.  Perhaps I won't emerge out of this a monster after all.

Then again, perhaps I will.  But I'd rather live a monster than die a mouse.  For now, I wait for the powers that be to make the choice.  Until then, I try to sleep.  Though the thoughts echo in my head, I can silence them well enough.  Still, it's awfully loud in this box sometimes.  A shame Sywyn was dead on arrival.  I'd have enjoyed a voice coming from outside this box, even if it was an evil fey.

Though he'd probably just bleed all over the place.  The last thing I need in here is more blood.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 06:15:15 PM »
It is highly interesting, studying the way people regard me now.  Some with fear, others with curiosity.  A quiet few with a sense of wonder.  Each of them with their own opinions of in I am really guilty of the crimes named against me.  Each of them wishing to ask and find out the truth, but so few actually speaking the words.  I let them wonder.  In the end, I suppose it matters little if they think I am guilty or innocent.  The truth that matters is that I am free now, and returning to business.  I've set plans in motion, and now all I have to do is wait. 

In a way, the attention has been an enjoyable way to pass the time.  I'm not usually one for hanging around the public areas and talking with the casual passer-by, but lately the steady flow of people wishing to talk with me has been entertaining at least.  They come to question and pledge support in equal measure.  The occasional few to condemn me for my 'crimes', but they are surprisingly few and far between.  Maybe it's because they realize that they are really no better than the monster I am painted as.  Maybe it's because despite all the smiles, the friends, the noble causes, we're all just the same selfish beasts under the skin.  Every man is a slave to his desires on some level.  Some grow to control them, to carefully work toward them.  Others succumb to temptation, recklessly chasing them.  But all of us, every one of us, wants something.  It's why there is never a shortage of business.  It's why men like me will never run out of work.

Because no matter how clean a man keeps his hands or what noble banner he fights under, there is one common truth to all of us. 
The truth that like it or not, we are all capable of becoming monsters with the right motivation.
That like it or not, we are all drenched in sin.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 12:29:07 AM »
"Shhhh.....Think on it."

The voice slithered back into his mind as he sat in his room.  He'd dealt with the dead before, it always ended the same way.  His scarred arm was a testament to how the dead do business.  The true reward that awaited those who waste breath speaking with them.  

And yet, he found himself drawn in yet again.  Why?  Why did he feel that this one might be different?  Was the fact that they both shared the same weight on their shoulders in their times with the Family?  Was that really such a common ground?  Florinova said it herself, a lot of idiots have sat in that chair.  But that one was a name picked out from the rest.  Clever enough to hide a safe in a place he wouldn't have found himself.

"Are we really to believe intelligent people just sit around and read these books all day?"

He wasn't sure what to do.  The temptation of the offered reward was great.  Likely far greater than anything his own Family would offer him.

"And what happens when we find it?  Where does this organization go from there?"
"We just keep doing what we do..."

It was an interesting offer, if he could believe a word of it.  He didn't want to.  It would be nice to put it out of his mind for good and simply pretend it didn't happen.  Besides, this search has been going on for quite some time.  It was unlikely he'd ever have to choose, not in this lifetime.  Still, to find such a thing would be the ultimate prize.  What he did with it would be another matter, but to find it would be a testament in itself.  

For now, he'll just wait until the order comes down.  He would be ready to move when it did.  This task and Family were now his responsibility.  Every sin-drenched soul in that building was looking to him for direction, and for the first time he was truly eager to provide.  

Constance was right about one thing, at least.
He was part of a different kind of 'Family' from the others.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:32:07 AM by Legion XXI »

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 02:06:32 PM »
"We don't owe anyone but ourselves, Acerbi."

On one hand, he hated the thought of it.  He longed to pull the shortblade from his belt and avenge his Brother's blood.  But how could he, knowing what he knew?  He hadn't been lied to, and they kept their promises.  He'd underestimated the Barovians, and his Family in Immol was going to pay for it.  No, he couldn't even bear a grudge against these men.  They had been nothing but honest, it was he who had lied.

He had lied to himself for so long, pretending he was different from the others.  More loyal than Florinova and Blacke?  Of course not.  Why would he have even attended the meeting if he was?  He hadn't intended it to end this way.  He didn't mean for this to happen.  

"But it happened anyways."

Leonardo's voice was always the most damning.  The words had never quite left him.  On the contrary, they had become an inescapable theme of his life from the day he joined the Vardo.  How much of our blood has been spilled by our own colors?  That's why we're red, after all.  Because we just can't help but bleed one another until we're dead or worse.  Every drop of Family blood spilled was done so with the best of intentions.  It's always the most loyal that do the most harm.  Your enemies are never the ones you should worry about, you know where they stand.  You expect them to try.  But your friends?  

They'll hurt you more while trying to help you than your enemies ever could while trying to kill you.

He hated that this was exactly what he'd become.  But at the same time, he felt a twisted pride in how well he'd done it.  It was a clean kill, the mark never stood a chance.  And he was no commoner either, this man was a Tigan just like he was.  As a matter of fact, it as that simple connection that absolved him of a measure of his guilt.  Next week, he could be the mark.  Some other Brother or Sister could be fed twisted words, and he'd have a knife at his back without even knowing it.  He held no illusions that he was the only one guilty of such a mistake.  Did not Vadim die the same way?  And how many countless others before him?  How many would come?  See, he was just serving his place in a long line of snakes.  He was hardly the first, and wouldn't be the last.  He wouldn't strain under the guilt of what he had done, it was done and there was no going back.  It was the unfortunate truth that this was how business worked sometimes.  A few sacrifices must be made.  Why should he take all the blame for this?  If his counterpart from Immol had been more wary, more skilled, more vigilant, he would not have died.  It would be Sesto that rested under the water instead.  So how could he truly take all the blame, knowing he was the better man?  The more deserving of the rewards.

So he did the only thing he could do.  He destroyed the man's possessions, disposed of the body, and covered his tracks.  He would sleep soundly that night, knowing that what he did couldn't have been a mistake.  He was the one still breathing, after all.  Be it because of the Grand Scheme, or a simple matching of skill, he would be the one to wake up tomorrow.

Of course, he'd have to earn every day after that.  Same as everyone else.  Nothing is promised to you in this life.  Nothing given that can't be taken away.  If you want something, know that it has to come from somewhere - from someone else who has it.  At the end of the day, he wasn't a killer.  Any streetside thug could snuff a life.  He was a Tigan, a thief.  Some men are hired to steal information, befriending those around him.  Some men are hired to steal possessions, no lock can turn them.  And even some men are hired to steal lives, taking everything a man is or ever will be in a few red seconds.  

At the end of the day though, we're all just thieves.  We all take things we were never meant to have.  Some just appreciate the art of it more than others.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 04:13:44 AM »
I find myself reminded often of an old saying from home.

"The most generous man is the one with the least to give."

And so no matter how I look at it, I come to one solution.  Set them on the path.  Play for them the siren's song, let them drink the poison that once flowed through my blood.  We are not truly a Family until we share more than blood.  They need something more, something that the others of the past failed to seize.  Hearing the truth has done a great deal for me, and time has finally forced wisdom upon me that I so foolishly refused to take before.  But it's not a wisdom easily passed on.  I was never a man of silver words before, and at times it is hard to try passing on what I've learned in mere words. 

But perhaps that's the real problem.  I lived too long of my life as a shadow of a man I would never be.  My words could never match his.  So I will show them by actions, where words will fail.  They'll taste the poison, they'll hear the song for themselves.  And we'll all be a damned Family, they and I.  Steel to our neck, and at our own choosing.  Only a privileged few ever truly walk the thin line of a blade's edge, and revealing that path is the best gift I could give them.

My brother may leave me again, but this Family will endure.  They are my legacy, as his son belongs to him.  I spent my younger days chasing a different kind of mistress than most young men, and now I have finally faced her myself.  But this is not a woman like most would understand.  No, I've found something cold and unloving to be my mistress. with a face I would never recall.   And I would have it no other way.  Do not warm me with kind words, no not treat me as a lover.  Press the coins into my hand and lay a contract on my table.  We understand each other, you and I.  For all your faults, I would not take another.  For all mine, you still keep me close.

So do what you will, Leonardo.  You have your Lady, and I have mine.  Pray for me if you feel you must, but understand that we will never be the same.  Take solace knowing that our Father would be proud of you, but you know that he would never approve of what I have become.  I hold no illusions about where I stand and I make no excuses for the deeds I've done.  Our father had a noble aim, and perhaps when my life-blood empties people will lie and say the same about me.  Were I given another life, perhaps I could have stood at your side.  But I was given a single life, and fate was not kind with my cards.  I respect what you have made for yourself, brother, but it never felt like home to me.  I bed among the wolves, forever kept from the flock.  A part of me wishes I could come with you.  To take what I have and try to forage a new life with it.  But such a thing would never last.  This life I have made for myself is not one you can walk away from so easily.  So it is with no small amount of thought that I wish you well, brother, and hope you long outlive me.  For I know that the day your life bleeds out will be that last day I see you.  Your Lady will not look for me when my time comes.  For what it's worth, I've probably never killed a good man.

I expect no mercy for myself or those who seek to follow the path I tread.  There is only one woman who would answer our prayers, and it is not your Lady.  At the end of it all, I can promise them only one thing.  They will learn as much as they look for, one way or another.