You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Dungeon System Changes?  (Read 13335 times)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Re: Dungeon System Changes?
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2013, 04:06:02 AM »
To some of you, lack of IC consistency might not mean as much but I know that it has a significant importance to immersion for others (myself included). This does not necessarily entail realism, but that you can at least convincingly imagine the IC perspective of what's going on.

Ultimately, you could argue that dungeon instancing a la WoW would be the most convenient and everyone could get all the spawn they wanted - but (at least to me) it makes the experience a whole lot more flat. Consumerism isn't always great. Too much idealism you might say, but it's the same idealism that's shaped this entire project into what it is.

The current system encourages you to go look for where the spawns are. I realise this makes it more time consuming, but there's also the scrying in the mist camp. Though it's a bit outdated, it was actually my plan to start updating it now. Plus, the current spawn shortage is exceptional too, and will be fixed by next update (once we get that working).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:08:14 AM by Zarathustra217 »

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
  • 1# Highest Bounty Winner
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »
To some of you, lack of IC consistency might not mean as much but I know that it has a significant importance to immersion for others (myself included). This does not necessarily entail realism, but that you can at least convincingly imagine the IC perspective of what's going on.

Ultimately, you could argue that dungeon instancing a la WoW would be the most convenient and everyone could get all the spawn they wanted - but (at least to me) it makes the experience a whole lot more flat. Consumerism isn't always great. Too much idealism you might say, but it's the same idealism that's shaped this entire project into what it is.

The current system encourages you to go look for where the spawns are. I realise this makes it more time consuming, but there's also the scrying in the mist camp. Though it's a bit outdated, it was actually my plan to start updating it now. Plus, the current spawn shortage is exceptional too, and will be fixed by next update (once we get that working).

Boom. Ive been monitoring the thread looking for the right words for what I wanted to say without it coming off insulting. But this is basically it, its not an MMO, its a world, the growth scripting I've always thought was wicked and helped to represent that.

Sorrow00

• Outlander
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2013, 10:35:22 AM »
How bout we just lock this thread, its just turned into a finger pointing/flame war anyhow, people diverting from the Original Point again.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2013, 05:15:30 PM »
Well, I believe the concern presented in the original post has merit, I'm just hoping to find solutions that also enhance the IC perspective. That is why I proposed revising it into:

[...] I guess needing diversity in faced challenges to learn from them does in fact make sense IC - you can only fight the same undead a number of time before you stop learning more from that specific challenge. Hmm, that could at least account of a sort of reduced gain. The question is if we yet have dungeons enough to justify asking people to not hit the same place repeatedly.

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2013, 05:51:07 PM »
Monsters already give reduced exp based on their cr level. Not learning from a fight is built in. Once your 5 lvs higher then the mob its reduced to nothing as per pnp rules . You get full exp when matching their cr and additional reduction each lv above.-finish thought later

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2013, 06:40:36 PM »
Yeah, my point is just that the idea proposed in the OP orients it entirely toward OOC mechanisms that you cannot account for IC, thus introducing OOC elements into the play.

But then I guess needing diversity in faced challenges to learn from them does in fact make sense IC - you can only fight the same undead a number of time before you stop learning more from that specific challenge. Hmm, that could at least account of a sort of reduced gain. The question is if we yet have dungeons enough to justify asking people to not hit the same place repeatedly.

Thats something to consider definitely; which is why I think the OP was suggesting things have faster respawn timers, but a system in place where you can't farm those same dungeons repeatively. As it stands right now, I think theres 'plenty' of dungeons for players to handle, but the problem is that it takes so long for these to populate, it becomes an issue.. and at the same time.. if things populated faster, its more of an incentive to do them over and over.

Not to mention places with rare resources.
Sadly quite a number of these are only present in western barovia, thus high level crafters have the need to constantly farm it, which brings forth both the problem of high levels farming low level areas, and the occasional soloing.
The best example for this is the shadow wood, or the troll skins.

+1 This. There are also a lot of other things around that area you really cant find anywhere else. If your a crafter that one cave complex stretching from the South Woods (under the waterfall with the bears) down to the area under the dwarven mines is a crafters paradise in terms of effort to reward. A simgle trip will net you tons of rare herbs, low to middling varnish components, tons of ore, including the possibility of coal, AND some of the rarer leathers for leatherworking. Since a lot of that area is also random spawn there is even the rare but not unheard of potential for gaining EXP at mid teen levels and semi rare loot if you happen to run into the largest unberhulks or skeletal lords. If you cap off the trip with a quick peek into alhoon or the shadow dragon cave the crafting loot becomes even more impressive. I know whole tons of PC that spend about 3/4 or their total time around these areas. Harakir is pretty well developed but it would be nice to see some additional detail added to the area around The Village and places lke Hazlan.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 06:45:29 PM by respawnaholic »

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2013, 01:48:17 AM »
Here I'll suggest this. Make it you get full exp the first time you visit. Reduction a step down for each additional visit. This reduction is cleared on resets. Encourages players to not grind low and mid spawns below their level when a carrot is offered for waiting . Logic should follow you want to do -one- good dungeon and get the exp first time then have come back 5 times and get less in total for not waiting. Improves loot quality for those that wait. Offers lower levels to do mid-low spawns in a higher dungeon should they choose.
Why do I say resets? Almost all spawns drop to minum level after a reset or crash. This is a good waiting period.
The ic reason? Not because you cannot learn something from the same fight. Because you attempted to challenge yourself on weaker opponents. Your skills are not as sharp for the next fight either from being tired or lazy.