You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: OCR for Non-Barovian Domains  (Read 2648 times)

Dread

• Dark Power
OCR for Non-Barovian Domains
« on: April 11, 2013, 01:42:42 PM »
I don't know what it would take to implement this, but with players being pushed towards the Mist Camp past a certain level, I really think we need to look at making OCR in domains other than Barovia a genuine reality. I know topics like these are brought up often, but I really think with there being so few DMs, there need to be systems in place to police players and make sure they are kept from derping around in various domains.

Har'Akir could probably use an OCR system, but right now I think the domains that need OCR systems the most are Hazlan and Dementlieu. Here's what I've come up with as ideas for how the system would work:

Dementlieu:
-2 to Dementlieuse native
-2 to those with bard class
-2 if wearing fashionable clothing (perhaps the Noble's Outfits sold by Laura's Fashion could be given bonuses to Influence, so this doesn't have to be coded?)
0 to other humans, along with elves
+2 to halflings
+2 if presently wearing armor
+4 to dwarves
+6 to calibans, tieflings, drow, etc.

The OCR would only be implemented in Quartier Publique and Quartier Savant, reflecting those race's inability to blend into polite society and being seen as circus freaks at best in that part of the city. They can walk Quartier Marchand and Ouvrier freely, though their OCR might affect prices.

Hazlan
-4 to Mulani
-2 to those with wizard class
0 to other humans
+2 to Rashemani
+4 to halflings
+6 to elves/dwarves
+10 to calibans
+15 to any in the Church of Ezra faction.

This would require the establishment of Rashemani and Mulani as subraces for those who take "Land of Mists" as their origin.

Thoughts from the devs?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
Re: OCR for Non-Barovian Domains
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 02:34:51 PM »
In Hazlan only wizards who have graduated locally would be tolerated. Also clerics of the lawgiver should be loved so maybe if its possible tie in OCR with the @diety command?

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 02:43:03 PM »
Well, I'm willing to be at least a little lenient with regards to that, given wizards would probably still want to trade scrolls and magical items with other wizards, and because a system that rigid would probably make things needlessly complicated. A caliban wizard is still a caliban and likely would definitely go unwelcome throughout the domain.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 03:05:13 PM »
If there was a lawgiver faction then you could also have less ocr in Hazlan if you are part of that faction. Of course Hazlan is not yet finished though.

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 02:01:59 PM »
Why is there specific hate on the Ezrites? Don't the Lawgivers (and thus, Hazlan), look down upon all religions?

I know there was a previous incident with a certain Ezrite that stirred up some hatred some long while back, but from what I read, besides that, there's not really any specific hatred towards Ezra.
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

Geiger

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 02:06:34 PM »
Yeah anyone who does not prescribe to the Lawgiver in these domains who are found out are beaten down but that is something really beyond the OCR system. OCR is something for base races and obvious appearances that would (obviously) not be welcome as well as a little sprinkle of OOC "please stay out you're not really supposed to be here in any overt capacity" for certain factions and whatnot.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 02:10:05 PM »
There are already plans in motion for non-Barovia OCR but it's complicated balance and script-wise so it'll take time to implement. Also, for a place like Dementlieu, as per canon, people wearing full plate will have higher OcR as well.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 02:11:48 PM »
There are already plans in motion for non-Barovia OCR but it's complicated balance and script-wise so it'll take time to implement. Also, for a place like Dementlieu, as per canon, people wearing full plate will have higher OcR as well.

so you will be attacked if you wear full plate? or just refused service at shops?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 02:26:33 PM »

so you will be attacked if you wear full plate? or just refused service at shops?

It'd depend on how high your OcR would be, just like in Barovia or elsewhere. If you are a caliban wearing full plate casting sorcerous spells, you'd get attacked pretty much for sure.

Tyras

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 04:45:53 PM »
Giving OCR for being a certain class is kinda like sanctioned metagaming on the game's part isn't it?  If a wizard or sorcerer was wearing clothing common to the area or at least common to travelers who pass through and was not casting spells or speaking about the Arcane Arts how would they know he or she were an arcane caster to apply the OCR?  Yeah, casting in front of them should cause OCR issues, but not a blanket modifyer based on their class.

Bersilus

• New to the Mists
  • Yargh!!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 11:45:23 AM »
to touch on tyras point....
well sometimes i wonder how the guards know if a person wears armor at the outskirts its a iadul outlander.. XD
A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His might upholds the weak
His word speaks only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked

Knight's old code
King Aurthor's sermon, 5:18

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »

One thing that I really dislike about this idea is the simple fact that the nightly spawns, especially the Caliban Gangleaders and such are hard enough to deal with as a high level fighter due to the sneak attacks and sheer power of the spawns.  Being somewhat forced to wear 'clothing' negates any real chance of survival for non-caster melee types.  This would likely make me simply avoid the lands all together.

Sage - When stories come to life