Author Topic: unnecessarily Dark  (Read 4323 times)

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
unnecessarily Dark
« on: April 10, 2013, 08:12:38 PM »
Opening this up for folks to add names of areas that might be a bit too dark, these are largely personal preferences, so I underrstand the team may feel they are spot on.

Pavel's Woodworks in Vallaki - Fine by day, pitch black by night, a lantern would be useful for lighting the place by night.

The Vistani Caravan wagon - It should have some light, even ambient, heck even a curtain over the windows that can be moved aside to let some exterior light in.  I hate needing to sit in there with a torch or wearing some glowing item just to find my way around.

Sage - When stories come to life

SwanSong

Re: unnecessarily Dark
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:53:35 PM »
The Balinok area with the copper quarry and entrance to Dvergheim seems to resist light sources and be blacker than a badger's arse compared to the rest of the journey up to Krofburg.

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 10:08:26 PM »
The blacksmith in the Port's Quartier Marchand.

Seriously, that's dark!

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
  • 1# Highest Bounty Winner
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 02:58:30 AM »
I'm of the opinion that indoor areas like blacksmiths and so on should have some ambient light, but outdoors at night, sewers at night, so on so forth Id like to be pitch black. Kinda fits.

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 07:14:28 AM »
I'm of the opinion that indoor areas like blacksmiths and so on should have some ambient light, but outdoors at night, sewers at night, so on so forth Id like to be pitch black. Kinda fits.

Like the base of the Ghakis mountains (where the copper seams are). That place is pitch dark and scary, even if it's safe during the night. If all places were that dark during the night, I'm sure few will venture outside.
Elena Vasilovici - "Better die for something than live for naught"

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 11:12:41 AM »
I think the night ambiance changes with moon phase, if you want realistic, though I would also imagine that might be a bit too much of a pain to have shifting lighting at night outside shifting with the moon phase. 

That area in the balinoks with the copper is more fog than it is lighting, so might need to look at more there. I've also found that many, many places are actually pitch black, no matter the time, just take off your light items and find out.

I would say put a small candle or something in the vistani wagon for light, it's ungodly dark in it. I don't think the area needs a lighting change, just some small ambient light source.

The swamps near the village of barovia are incredibly dark and foggy too, even during the day. Maybe lighten it up a little during the day. Having been in actual swamps before I have never seen any thing that foggy or dark, and given barovia's climate I doubt it would be that humid in their form of a swamp.  But just my two cents. :)

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
  • 1# Highest Bounty Winner
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 08:23:33 PM »
Can we suggest some places to be darkened? Like of course the most basic example, night time in the outskirts, place is pretty bright for the forboding night.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 09:11:05 PM »
This

and this

Can we suggest some places to be darkened? Like of course the most basic example, night time in the outskirts, place is pretty bright for the forboding night.

fitting ideas as well, would not object to more darkness over the lands by night, with perhaps dim lights around building windows etc to serve as distant glimmers of hope to someone stuck wandering after dark.

I also think any shop/workshop should have a suitable form of lighting if the shopkeep is going to be within it at all hours.

Sage - When stories come to life

Dire Corby

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 02:10:04 AM »
Yeah dark areas are a lot scarier, however you gotta figure Barovians will at least make an attempt to keep the lamps lit since it discourages nasty prowlers. 

If I owned an inn in a place that had wererats, werewolves, and worse....you bet I would keep a lamp or three burning!  I would keep them high up too, so they couldn't be easily smashed or doused.

In regard to sewers I am in complete agreement.  Who is going to bother lighting those pipes?  Unless it's the caliban.

YouLitABonfire

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 02:22:11 AM »
Make it dark where it makes sense for it to be dark. make people NEED a source of light. Make Dark Vision relevant. please?

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 10:48:25 AM »
Make it dark where it makes sense for it to be dark. make people NEED a source of light. Make Dark Vision relevant. please?

+1

Having a light source every few steps in an otherwise uninhabited (by people) dungeon really spoils the point of having darkvision.

Draxiss

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 05:44:38 AM »

For that matter, have darkvision work at ALL. The default range is supposed to be 60 ft, no this weird 10 ft range, and most of the time it doesn't actually seem to make a difference in the dark, as I keep running into walls everywhere I go.
Draxiss - Survival. It's what's for dinner.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 05:54:32 AM »
A dark night is atmospheric and scary sure but pitch blackness where ones screen goes black is just an excercise in frustration, especially when you take out a torch to light your way and it does bugger all as far lighting anything :P

Yes Swamp outside Barovia Village I'm looking at you :P

KBlackwell

• Undead Slayer
  • Back, after 10 years
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 11:12:24 PM »
The warehouses in the Port should probably be looked at.  There are no discernible lights and no windows, but the place is completely lit at all time.  I don't even think it gets any darker at night, just constant full-brite.
Adelaide D'Amore - Deceased.
Sylveen Cassowary - Active

queenofspades

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 09:07:01 PM »
Krofburg's wool works (Lufthan's?) could do with darkening of a night time. Since the store owner goes home come night time.
Currently Playing
Filipa Florea
Gwendolyn Blackmore
Ylndar Lharithlyn
Erik Mihaly
Chloe Labelle

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 07:51:04 AM »

For that matter, have darkvision work at ALL. The default range is supposed to be 60 ft, no this weird 10 ft range, and most of the time it doesn't actually seem to make a difference in the dark, as I keep running into walls everywhere I go.

Wait what? We're talking about the item feat darkvision, yes? Because I have an elf from Krynn that has natural dark-vision and I can see as far as I do during the day, it's just blue-shifted at night... only thing that will mess with that is if I walk close to a light source, then my vision goes to hell until I'm out in the dark again.  That being said, I agree that the wood-worker's shop in Vallaki could benefit from a few light sources at night and I do find the first map of the Ballinoks excessively dark as well.

Conjured Fantasy

• New to the Mists
  • Shh, listen! ... Do you smell that?
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 04:09:28 AM »
While we're at it, Sri Raji is just unnecessarily dark at night. I mean, couldn't the other domains and it make a deal where Sri Raji gets maybe half the moon on weekends or something?

^---- Screenshot of a guru wearing a wedding dress. He was at a bowling match with his buds at around 11pm.
Conjured Characters:
       Psito Shardloc: The gnome with rock candy for hands.
       Ostap Dappenof: A "plain and simple barber."
       Mutil'iq (Dead?): The wandering,wretch of a soul.
       Kumar Gajrup Dhananjay: Rajian warrior

swbf2lord

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 01:35:28 AM »
This is somewhat related. Has anyone noticed odd weather in the Residential district of Vallaki? I've been noticing it's either darker than the rest of the city, or sometimes has its own weather. I've had times where it was rain in the RD but not in the slums, or snowing in only the RD. I can go to the slums, see the rain, then go back to the RD where it's still snowing.

Nerrik

• New to the Mists
  • Blarney Pardo = Blardo for life - YARRRR!
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 02:28:08 AM »
The whole Krofburg village seems way too dark at night. The street lanterns only bring light to themselves.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:23:35 AM by Kirvixus »
Blarney Pardo

queenofspades

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 06:28:31 AM »
The Village and lower vinyards, yeah. but the upper vineyards are not as bad, imo it could use being lifted to the same 'darkness' level as the upper vineyards.
Currently Playing
Filipa Florea
Gwendolyn Blackmore
Ylndar Lharithlyn
Erik Mihaly
Chloe Labelle