Author Topic: About languages  (Read 2267 times)

Aduial

• Dark Lord
About languages
« on: April 06, 2013, 12:56:25 PM »
I believe this point was allready raised in the past but i was just thinking if it is possible to create a system to create some order about languages, in the recent times i noticed that a lot of people started to speak new languages even in fluent manners. I believe a system should be introduced since this is a roleplay server, languages are of course part of roleplay and from my point of view it is enough clear that the community is not mature enough ( mature roleplaying speaking) to handle the system without a script support or token or whatever support the staff decides to introduce.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
Re: About languages
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 02:44:13 PM »
Since there are probably a hundred languages over all of the different settings; I think this idea would be -wonderful- if it could be scripted to support -only- the languages that matter for the current setting; Which I'd assume to be Luktar, Balok, and High Mordentish. These three are pretty much supported and interactively used with the setting environments. Local Ravenlofters with the appropriate background selection could get the tool/flag/variable for free; and everyone else would have to spend the proper time to learn the language. Either by application, or as a system in game where they could learn the language. (Those profession pay/per day scripts could make for an interesting rework to handle this..)

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 03:11:25 PM »
And racial ones

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 03:13:44 PM »
And racial ones

I think outlander regional, racials, and etc could initially be ignored as its literally a list of probably a hundred.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 03:14:54 PM »
Racial would be the major races, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, Gnome and Orc

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 03:20:24 PM »
On the other hand. I have seen systems like this do a lot to increase clickish behavior and cement in certain groups. The way it is now, all the involved players can still take part even if their character does not know what is being said.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 09:02:43 AM »
Honestly i dont think it will increase the clickish behaviour if you want to be a clique there are simple actions you can take without involving others in your plot/roleplay such as whispering or speaking in a corner of the room and such.

The way it is now does not work because people get informations more easily, for example everyone can understand what the guards are saying , of course we assume you dont take advantage of it... but i believe we are all "old"enough to understand  that this does not always happens.

On the other hand, allready knowing something as a player, makes more difficult to understand when the character you are roleplaying can jump at the same conclusion without considering the informations you are OOC getting from languages you should not know.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 11:39:46 AM »
Honestly i dont think it will increase the clickish behaviour if you want to be a clique there are simple actions you can take without involving others in your plot/roleplay such as whispering or speaking in a corner of the room and such.

The way it is now does not work because people get informations more easily, for example everyone can understand what the guards are saying , of course we assume you dont take advantage of it... but i believe we are all "old"enough to understand  that this does not always happens.

On the other hand, allready knowing something as a player, makes more difficult to understand when the character you are roleplaying can jump at the same conclusion without considering the informations you are OOC getting from languages you should not know.

so you think the playerbase is not mature enough for language rp yet you think they are mature enough to not stick to their own people who speak the same langauge??
ever been on holiday??? people will stick with theirown kind if such a system is in place.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Daboomer

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 11:44:01 AM »

so you think the playerbase is not mature enough for language rp yet you think they are mature enough to not stick to their own people who speak the same langauge??
ever been on holiday??? people will stick with theirown kind if such a system is in place.

The holiday point is kind of true.

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 12:12:53 PM »
I believe that cliques can be present in every case with or without a language system so i see no reason why there should not be one, since it will make metagame less easier and improve the roleplay experience, imagine the atmosphere you can have if you are not able to understand the garda while they speak, this will create surely more tension and immersion in the setting.

In Holiday you can stick with your family or friends and do your own business or trying o be more sociable and meet new people, of course this much depend where you choose to go in holiday there a lot of places in the world who are not for clique but suited for meeting new people, so i don t see how this point can be true and however i don t see the link to my proposal of introducing a language system.

Strife

• Player, Fan
  • Dark Lord
  • Everybody's a Prisoner
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 07:21:43 PM »
I've been a fan of a language system for a long time, I beleive it would futher increase the atmosphere and immersion. The only issue is how taxing would it be on the server.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 09:07:51 PM »
i should note that i dont think it is a bad idea it has its pro's and con's.

the holiday thing was an example, i seen it plenty of times doesnt mean i am right *i am but... 8)*
people will always group up thats a given if folks dislike that log off and play 1 player mode for the rest of your life.
but
with the system in place people will be hmm lets say more inclined to play with other elves cause they can stand in a group and verbaly bash mr guard  now every other char that has the same widget knows this and it can get lame, again seen this type of behaviour happem on other servers.

i do admid it adds to the mystery if used in a none lame way, but i also enjoy hearing people use their own langauge while ic i dont get it ooc it can be insperational or simply intresting aswell as a semi learning tool for none native english speakers.   *for me that ship has sailed long ago ;)*

overall my opinion would be such a tool is for the lazy rpers among us.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company