Author Topic: Idea for getting epic/ rare loot  (Read 2783 times)

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
Idea for getting epic/ rare loot
« on: March 27, 2013, 07:12:58 AM »
Idea for obtaining the epic and rarest loot drops:

at the 'end' of these areas a chest or horde pile (that only appears on high spawns)

only accessed with either 5 special 'treasure lockpicks' or one special 'treasure key'

a dialogue asks players with vague language what they are looking for
and the choice gives them an appropriate awesome item.

where the 5 special 'treasure lockpicks' / 'treasure keys' found:

when entering one of these 'end' areas players are prompted by text:

'This looks like a good place to Search for hidden treasure'
a successful search: a player finds a treasure lockpick
epic successful search: a player finds a treasure key

im sure there is a way to implement such an idea in a more streamlined fashion as well

anyway. there it is. the inspiration for this comes from something i saw on the zombie survival module. there are a few hard to get to places where you can 'search' and you have a rare chance to find a 'vault key'
there are a few different vaults spread throughout the server that are also hard to get to, each tailored to different class types. (for example one vault gave rewards best suited to clerics and monks, one to warriors, etc)

Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Juice

• Totally banged the
  • Dark Lord
  • Lawful Good Does Not Mean Lawful Nice.
Re: Idea for getting epic/ rare loot
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 07:40:36 AM »
How about for Rare and Epic Loot its DM Given during quests. Earn your keep and you shall be rewarded.

Solomon Burke - Knight of the Dawn
Vasile Mikovich - Tigan Straight Outa Vallaki
Straven Crowe -  Hes somewhere around here.....

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 07:49:50 AM »
Though other timezones have massively less DMs and there can be very long gaps before your character crosses a DM quest that fit the character's ambitions.

There's been quite few times when not so powerful, but instead custom-tailored items have been given out. ;)

When considering dungeons with riddles or puzzles to get the better loot, these unfortunately quickly become just another chore to go through. It doesn't take very long until everyone know the solutions to them, so it can feel a bit like redundant work to spend much time in designing them. There are a few slightly in that fashion, tho.

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 08:07:47 AM »
How about for Rare and Epic Loot its DM Given during quests. Earn your keep and you shall be rewarded.

Then in most cases only specific groups would get these items.
I prefer custom items to be given by DM's, ones that arnt just 'power'.

I like the idea of having to complete a whole dungeon, locate different 'keys, rods, statue's' so you can enter the final room, make people work for their treasure's not just grind.

But for 'Epic Loot' to be found, i would suggest a rebalance of it, as some of the highest area's on the server drop mediocre loot, in comparison to some of the mid-high levels that drop high tier items.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 08:39:45 AM »

No. The very few times I have interacted with a DM in game they were busting me soloing an area or messing with me while collecting crafting components with spawns way past what I had anticipated. If I know a DM is on and I even suspect they are looking at me I immediately run and hide in a ML temple or a heavily travelled inn until they leave. To court the attention of a DM is to court death. Epic loot will do my dead characters no good.

As for the quality of loot drops I have found the level of an area has little to do with the quality of the loot dropped. It seems to me caves with random spawns drop loot far higher than any set cave or area regardless of spawn area. I once found a ring of elemental protection in one of caves in the south woods guarded by some skeleton warriors/ knights. Most of the unique/ rare things I have found had more to do with where it occurred rather than any level of spawn in the area.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:45:23 AM by respawnaholic »

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 09:43:25 AM »
I had always thought that the level of the character opening the chests had a part to play in the loot received,  maybe I am mistaken.  Still it would reason to me that in level appropriate areas the char of that said level would have the best chance of finding the best loot for that area and those below the level would get misc junk.

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 09:46:42 AM »
As far as epic/rare loot goes, i prefer high end consumables.

But items wich are directly related to a dungeons history or give unknown icly lore about a domain is priceless.

Things like the Ba'Al Verzi book has dropped manyer time, but things about the history of anubis, silver monestary, morninglord vestibule's past i value more.

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 01:25:26 AM »

im talking about the rare and epic loot that already appears on a high spawn. not new even more epic loot. although i dont know what that is... i showed XXXX once the very best things ive acquired over the years (some really great stuff in my honest opinion) and they said it was pathetic. so apparently there is some really awesome stuff out there.

perhaps the keys/ lockpicks would open some deadly gauntlet to go look for stuff?

in our tabletop Ravenloft campaign that was a place called "The Pits Of Unger" that were located under Arak and could never be mapped. they changed/ "ran on forever", I.E. were filled with Mist so you never knew what youd find there

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 01:28:53 AM »
As far as epic/rare loot goes, i prefer high end consumables.

But items wich are directly related to a dungeons history or give unknown icly lore about a domain is priceless.

Things like the Ba'Al Verzi book has dropped manyer time, but things about the history of anubis, silver monestary, morninglord vestibule's past i value more.

+1

thats the only reason i go dungeoning. that kind of stuff doesnt drop on occasion? where do the VRG and such like that come from then?

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:16:59 PM by monsinyana »

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 11:04:07 AM »
If those items are going to be introduced, in whatever way it is decided to do so, it would be really nice to have the bards being the only characters able to identify them with a roll check in their "bardic knowledge" as also the manual of D&D suggests.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »
If those items are going to be introduced, in whatever way it is decided to do so, it would be really nice to have the bards being the only characters able to identify them with a roll check in their "bardic knowledge" as also the manual of D&D suggests.

I dissagree, make the lore check higher or split lore up, but don't make it restricted just to bards. Bards get a bonus but they don't know everything and other classes, wizards and clerics for example, can also identfy things and should be able to.

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 01:15:02 PM »
My advice is only to give the Bards the possibility to have a sort of special ability in order to characterize them a bit more from the other classes, and to incentive people to have a bard in their groups, however " bardic knowledge" is something that only bards can have (it is written in the player's handbook/manual), that is why i would like to see only them being able to use such skill.

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 01:19:44 PM »
My advice is only to give the Bards the possibility to have a sort of special ability in order to characterize them a bit more from the other classes, and to incentive people to have a bard in their groups, however " bardic knowledge" is something that only bards can have (it is written in the player's handbook/manual), that is why i would like to see only them being able to use such skill.

My wizard can get a super high lore check, why are we taking that away from her? I mean I thought 50+ was good at level 14?

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 01:23:16 PM »

My wizard can get a super high lore check, why are we taking that away from her? I mean I thought 50+ was good at level 14?

50+ is good but useless really

Part of the issue is that NWN drives the price of items up on items with high lore skills making it thus kind of useless as one can generally identfy stuff if they have just a few points and some gear.

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 01:24:32 PM »

50+ is good but useless really

Part of the issue is that NWN drives the price of items up on items with high lore skills making it thus kind of useless as one can generally identfy stuff if they have just a few points and some gear.

Its not useless, I use it in RP alot and it does help...

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 01:23:16 PM »
another possibility (maybe? is this possible?)

that additional effects of items can only be unlocked by consecutive successful rolls?
i know time can be tracked because the jobs we get keep track of how many days its been since we were last paid

something like that- like every 5 in game days you can try to learn more about a rare item.. 5 consecutive successful rolls (perhaps with increasing DC) and ity unlocks a new ability.

i know Adam Millers mods did this by having the item disappear from your inventory and a new item would take its place

or maybe you need to find Ioun stones to unlock abilities (and those are consumable)

i love the combining items in adam millers stuff to get the new item.