Author Topic: More Narrative for Blaustien.  (Read 3382 times)

MadJKevlar

• Undead Master
  • Ah! the generals! (is AKA WhenWolvesHoundThePrey)
More Narrative for Blaustien.
« on: March 21, 2013, 10:07:19 AM »
Some ideas that spring to mind for Blaustien, i really like that island but its just so boring with its limited avenues of adventure. I think it has potential to nurture a culture of adventurers, scaly wags, and traders if the means was given to players to make staying there viable in terms of work and activity.

Three ideas spring to mind.

Smuggling alternatives to warehouse missions - sending illegal goods into Dementliue or Valaki. strait away i can imagine this generating thugs vs guards rp, guard spot checks on people arriving at said cities with goods. Scout rp as fore runners go ahead to check roads, and delivery locations are in fact safe or free of PC patrols, that kind of thing.

A Pirate ship - For a fee of passage the captain of this ship will deposit you and your crew to a random populated location to pillage and maraud to your tainted souls content. I imagine new settlement maps being made to accommodate this, small coastal settlements, other ships at sea with a crew ready to defend to the death, desert islands to be washed up on and stranded at, leaving a party with the task of surviving, doing battle with native savages and finding a way off of the accursed rock.

Explorers ship  - For a fee of passage the captain of this ship will deposit you and your crew to a random location to explore and charter new lands, or find hidden treasures.  Again i am imagining new maps being made to accommodate an idea like this, and those maps would be similar to those previously listed but good player friendly, leaving the parties facing wild beasts, pirate islands and cursed ships full of skeletal sailors should there ship be attacked.

Additional to the Pirate ship and explorer ship - finding Maps as a rare drop item on said random excursions to be taken back to said respective ship captains could lead to epic Dungeon style locations with handsome loot or treasure prospects, places where those 1% items might turn up at more frequently but have nightmare like opposition.

The main idea behind pirate and Explorer ships would be to add a sense of mystery or adventure to setting out, not know what you will get, or where you will land as your ship prowls the seas, having many small maps in the generic list of random locations and very similar spawn rules as forest caves could keep these places throwing up unexpected enemies, threats and loot types.

FullMoon

• Undead Master
Re: More Narrative for Blaustien.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 10:16:20 AM »
The character Tess wants to be a pirate, but has had some trouble connecting with a dm, though she has a decent sized crew. Would be cool to see her given the opportunity to add some life to that domain.

MadJKevlar

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 10:20:34 AM »
yeah my ideas on Blaustien are a direct result of being bored on that island while Role playing Jayne or Celeste with Tess and her crew. Swilling drinks in the Davey jones while waiting for the reavers to respawn gets old fast. These are also a direct result of contemplating her desire for an actual ship, this left me asking is this just a new RP hot spot that is a Ship to accommodate this one movement of pirates or could the same initial idea be used to make something more interactive for the whole community generating activity and sailing rp not just for Tess' ambitions but for every player wanting to pursue the life of an high seas explorer, or Pirate.... I feel really bad for any player role playing such a concept having to live out a land locked existence, and the closest they ever get to sailing is paying for a "over priced" Lake ferry or a passage between dementliue and Blaustien.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:29:48 AM by MadJKevlar »

FullMoon

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »
yeah my ideas on Blaustien are a direct result of being bored on that island while Role playing Jayne or Celeste with Tess and her crew. Swilling drinks in the Davey jones while waiting for the reavers to respawn gets old fast.

Some great ideas MadK, wouldbe good for the Gardarme and Garda too, searching dodgy looking types who they suspect of smuggling and in turn, the smugglers trying to avoid the guards.

MadJKevlar

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 10:46:47 AM »
yeah my ideas on Blaustien are a direct result of being bored on that island while Role playing Jayne or Celeste with Tess and her crew. Swilling drinks in the Davey jones while waiting for the reavers to respawn gets old fast.

Some great ideas MadK, wouldbe good for the Gardarme and Garda too, searching dodgy looking types who they suspect of smuggling and in turn, the smugglers trying to avoid the guards.

I would really hope it did if it ever became a reality, especially where dementliue is concerned, a bit of opposition could bring the citys gardame and criminal factions to new life. Also see more players living out lives both on Blaustien and in Dementliue.... a "explorers" ship could even be better located in Dementliue while a "pirate" one resides in Blaustien.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:49:49 AM by MadJKevlar »

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 10:54:02 AM »
For all intent and purpose Blaistein is complete. It's a tiny domain and I feel I got it right. It's not a big domain like our others.

I made Blaustein and it was always intended to be a small domain with little going on, much like in canon. Not every domain has to be Barovia, Dementlieu or Har'Akir. Quite a few of these island domains are tiny pockets where a darklord rules like a tyrant over a tiny population. Blaustein's one of those places. It also wouldn't make much sense for the dungeon to be bigger than it is or the isle would collapse on itself; if you have a huge porous underground, then eventually the upper part will collapse (and it has happened many times in human history). Blaustein's focus is not on the dungeon anyway, it should be on the darklord himself. The dungeon boss should never overshadow the domain's darklord.

That is what EO has said on Blaustien in the past, so I doubt that there would be much given for it. Though having a few more things to do there and interact with dementlieuse gendarmes, who are infamously corrupt, would be good for dynamics IMO. Not sure about the whole sailing thing but more stuff in general would be interesting.

I am curious what other islands are in the sea of sorrows?

MadJKevlar

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 10:59:59 AM »
A Map of the core.

Spoiler: show
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 11:14:34 AM by MadJKevlar »

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 11:01:45 AM »
hide that in a spoiler please? that map is huge, even if jester did a great job on it.

MadJKevlar

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 11:09:40 AM »
For all intent and purpose Blaistein is complete. It's a tiny domain and I feel I got it right. It's not a big domain like our others.

I made Blaustein and it was always intended to be a small domain with little going on, much like in canon. Not every domain has to be Barovia, Dementlieu or Har'Akir. Quite a few of these island domains are tiny pockets where a darklord rules like a tyrant over a tiny population. Blaustein's one of those places. It also wouldn't make much sense for the dungeon to be bigger than it is or the isle would collapse on itself; if you have a huge porous underground, then eventually the upper part will collapse (and it has happened many times in human history). Blaustein's focus is not on the dungeon anyway, it should be on the darklord himself. The dungeon boss should never overshadow the domain's darklord.

That is what EO has said on Blaustien in the past, so I doubt that there would be much given for it. Though having a few more things to do there and interact with dementlieuse gendarmes, who are infamously corrupt, would be good for dynamics IMO. Not sure about the whole sailing thing but more stuff in general would be interesting.

I am curious what other islands are in the sea of sorrows?

Well technically Blaustien would not change size or shape or content in any great way, just the addition of a Pirate captin NPC on an already existing beech or ship, and a Smuggler perhaps up at the genral store standing by the boxes working much like valakis warehouse... just for example like.

Also concerning the islands and what others are in said sea, while is a very good point and might on one hand be nice to add a few more named locations, it is still not totally necessary to name them, you could be deposited on "A Desert island - somewhere in the sea of sorrows" things to that effect for the main body of random generic locations. "A small fishing village - Somewhere on the Dimentliuise coast".
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 11:13:46 AM by MadJKevlar »

MadJKevlar

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 11:11:09 AM »
hide that in a spoiler please? that map is huge, even if jester did a great job on it.

Done.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 11:11:19 AM »
Blaustien does have a lot off potential, it just seems like it is neglected, it's hard to keep any charecters there for long because other than the reavers there is nothing to do. With Tess  I would love to be able to bring life to Blaustien, if there was only more to do there!
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 11:19:54 AM »
Blaustien does have a lot off potential, it just seems like it is neglected, it's hard to keep any charecters there for long because other than the reavers there is nothing to do. With Tess  I would love to be able to bring life to Blaustien, if there was only more to do there!

If DMs are looking here, which they might be, I see the potential for interaction with the Land of Mists' most eligible bachelor, ~ladies~.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 12:01:23 PM »
Some ideas that spring to mind for Blaustien, i really like that island but its just so boring with its limited avenues of adventure. I think it has potential to nurture a culture of adventurers, scaly wags, and traders if the means was given to players to make staying there viable in terms of work and activity.

Three ideas spring to mind.

Smuggling alternatives to warehouse missions - sending illegal goods into Dementliue or Valaki. strait away i can imagine this generating thugs vs guards rp, guard spot checks on people arriving at said cities with goods. Scout rp as fore runners go ahead to check roads, and delivery locations are in fact safe or free of PC patrols, that kind of thing.

A Pirate ship - For a fee of passage the captain of this ship will deposit you and your crew to a random populated location to pillage and maraud to your tainted souls content. I imagine new settlement maps being made to accommodate this, small coastal settlements, other ships at sea with a crew ready to defend to the death, desert islands to be washed up on and stranded at, leaving a party with the task of surviving, doing battle with native savages and finding a way off of the accursed rock.

Explorers ship  - For a fee of passage the captain of this ship will deposit you and your crew to a random location to explore and charter new lands, or find hidden treasures.  Again i am imagining new maps being made to accommodate an idea like this, and those maps would be similar to those previously listed but good player friendly, leaving the parties facing wild beasts, pirate islands and cursed ships full of skeletal sailors should there ship be attacked.

Additional to the Pirate ship and explorer ship - finding Maps as a rare drop item on said random excursions to be taken back to said respective ship captains could lead to epic Dungeon style locations with handsome loot or treasure prospects, places where those 1% items might turn up at more frequently but have nightmare like opposition.

The main idea behind pirate and Explorer ships would be to add a sense of mystery or adventure to setting out, not know what you will get, or where you will land as your ship prowls the seas, having many small maps in the generic list of random locations and very similar spawn rules as forest caves could keep these places throwing up unexpected enemies, threats and loot types.

Good ideas all. Another I've toyed with trying to design for awhile is a random shipwreck where you have to find some coastal charts and part of a ships rudder in order to leave. The island itself was going to be a Dr. Moreau sort of thing.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 08:14:44 PM »
Nice ideas, but I'd even settle for a plain old ship with no encounters , just a few NPCs with whitty convos.  Maybe select a destination, pay the gold & jump on board until your ready to leave & select the appropriate diologue.  (I seem to remeber the Maid of Misfortune as a regular event ship in the past)

At least then you could RP being a pirate or privateer for an few hours, also I'm sure any DMs looking in would be kind enough to spawn something ghastly when you were unprepared.

(plans bringing Josiah DuLacey out of retirement)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:17:00 PM by Dhark »

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 12:50:55 AM »
Oh, this is interesting but in the sea of sorrows there is the Emerald Mistway that connects the northern sea of Sorrows with Eastern Sri Raji, India basically. Maybe trying to charter a ship there might be possible, if that domain ever got established.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 12:47:20 AM »
As mentionned by herkles, I have no further plans with Blaustein. It's possible we may add other areas in the Sea of Sorrows, but I doubt it'd be something big. There are no plans to add Markovia or Sri Raji at this point.

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 02:19:20 AM »
Yeah, just to elaborate the canon point of view a bit further; Most of the islands in Sea of Sorrows (and Nightmare Sea) are very hard to reach and when inhabited, often feature hostile population. So it is with Blaustein, too; In fact, was it fully canon, it really wouldn't be a place you could 1) visit habitually (I believe it is mentioned in Domains of Dread that "no same captain finds Blaustein twice") and 2) visit safely or without heavy hostility at all (I believe this side of the island is something DMs have utilized, in fact).

Obviously stretching the canon a bit to have something with Blaustein's aesthetics is completely permissible, but might be that a fuller utilization of the Sea of Sorrows could include something else than added content to Blaustein. Who knows! ;)

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 03:24:42 AM »
As mentionned by herkles, I have no further plans with Blaustein. It's possible we may add other areas in the Sea of Sorrows, but I doubt it'd be something big. There are no plans to add Markovia or Sri Raji at this point.
Actually I do have plans for Markovia, but it'll be a while before I get to it.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 04:24:39 PM »
Actually I do have plans for Markovia, but it'll be a while before I get to it.

you realise  by saying that, that now you will get a question about if it is done yet or in the makings every 3 months or so right?      :lol:
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company