Author Topic: Positive Energy DR makes you immune to Bleeding Out?  (Read 2559 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Positive Energy DR makes you immune to Bleeding Out?
« on: March 15, 2013, 06:40:52 AM »
Haven't tested this in-game yet but I've found a Positive Energy DR ring and it occured to me that bleeding out damage is positive damage... might this not cause you to become immune to bleeding out?
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Positive Energy DR makes you immune to Bleeding Out?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 08:20:54 AM »
Those rings have been pulled from loot, if not yet, at least for the next update, I think.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 08:36:24 AM »
I don't think these rings are a problem per se -- the main source of positive damage is usually enchanted weapons -- but being able to resist bleeding out is a problem.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 10:45:22 AM »
I don't think these rings are a problem per se -- the main source of positive damage is usually enchanted weapons -- but being able to resist bleeding out is a problem.
Yeah, imo the enchanted weapons should be fixed to simply do magical or elemental damage instead of positive.

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 12:42:41 PM »
The enchanted weapons do positive energy damage mainly because of how flashy the magical damage effect is when applied to a weapon. It looks really out-of-place. :P

I'm not sure if the bleeding out's damage type would warrant changing, but I believe the rings were anyhow taken out at least for now.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:52:25 PM by Exordium »

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 01:09:07 PM »
As an aside, the damage inflicted on you after a rest, if you aren't fully healed, is magical damage, not positive damage.

I figure it's worth mentioning because I think both of these types of things are trying to inflict un-resistable damage. I'm not aware of any way for PCs to get Magical damage resistance, but some NPCs (and possibly MPCs) do have some. (I think Dry Liches have, for example.)

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 01:11:16 PM »
Devourer shields

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 01:27:17 PM »
What stats do those have? I thought they had SR...

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 01:41:48 PM »
10% immunity to Magic, positive, negative.  50% vuln to everything elemental, if I remember correctly.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 02:10:41 AM »
I've said before that the very strong essenses might be used for dmg on enchanted weps. ie the shadow dragon essense for neg, the fire snakes for fire, and so forth.  It just seems to make more sense to me. Yes, the magic varnishes for enhancement, but if you were to add so many of the others then it might add dmg. Since there is no positive one that might clear up that issue with enchanted weps.

eyeofpestilence

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 12:45:27 AM »
Tested. it does stop dmg from bleed out.

Thanks DW!

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 02:57:19 AM »
I'm aware of the issue and have already pulled the ring, just waiting for an update to be implemented

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002