You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Special Background Ruling  (Read 1741 times)

granny

• Outlander
  • If yeh're good to Mamere, Mamere is good to yeh!
Special Background Ruling
« on: March 14, 2013, 10:51:59 PM »
I have been wondering a bit so far:

Do you need to app if you are looking for a special background? I mean to belong to a well known organization (like a monk order)... or family/ heritage?
"We all are (monsters), pretty dancer. Deep down inside all of us, there's a monster. Some spend their lives trying to fight it. They fail. Some coexist unhappily with their beast. They are miserable (...) you and I celebrate it" Anton Misroi

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
Re: Special Background Ruling
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 11:13:37 PM »
all depends you have to be more specific.

cannot be for example be family to a burgomaster or one of the ruling houses in the port, thats out of the question.

noble you can be but it is often best to make up your own name/clan/family.

i no way can you pretend that your family holds power in the module as that would give you an advantage others do not have and thats not allowed (this part needs better explenation but atm i can't think of a better way to word it)

so depending on what you had in mind yes and no is the awnser.

you can be part of orders that are not represented in game yet, if they are represented ingame and there no players in it ask a dm for the rp if there are players in it go to the players, theres often 1 leading it.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 04:15:13 AM »
But your background has to be what a character of level 2 could have. Which in most organisations would be fairly low ranking.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 07:47:19 AM »
I have been wondering a bit so far:

Do you need to app if you are looking for a special background? I mean to belong to a well known organization (like a monk order)... or family/ heritage?

You could be a member of a dominant family, however, you must be a powerless member. For example you are an outcast, a 5th son/daughter, basicly anyone that cannot rely on the family resources or aid, and has to find his own luck.
Well this is how i see it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:52:09 AM by Ercvadasz »
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 09:00:38 AM »
Also it can give you no benefits ingame.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 12:57:58 PM »
But your background has to be what a character of level 2 could have. Which in most organisations would be fairly low ranking.

On the bright side. It would make him a brigadier or at least a coloniel in the Barovian army.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 01:21:56 PM »
When I had the Montte family, which was a noble family in the port. I worked to see if people would fit in;since naturally you had to either marry in or be born in. Now if one started off as a montte noble, they were considered a minor noble as that is what the family was till edmond and mathieu managed to be given a title raising them up just a fraction