You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Crafter forum?  (Read 4110 times)

Tyras

• Dark Lord
Crafter forum?
« on: March 11, 2013, 11:36:04 AM »
I've recently began exploring the crafting on this server, and in NWN in general for that matter.  I've chosen leatherworking on one character and smithing on another, with plans for herbalism and alchemy on another, but I haven't started down that path yet.  While I was selling some boots in the outskirts somebody asked if I could make belts.  I told them no, which was the truth, but then I wondered if it was even possible.  Everything that I've done with the different combinations of leathers has been pure experimentation, and as far the patterns in the leatherworking shop in Vallaki go, there are no belts to be found.

Is there a place where crafters post here to share their findings?  Their successes, the recipies they've found, or where to find this pattern or that?  I understand some crafters have found that one spot where nobody else goes to collect this resource or that, so they'll keep that to themselves, but I'd like to know where different ores are to be found, or where different animals live that might be hunted for their furs.  I'd like to know what the different effects a given combination of materials can yield if crafted successfully.  It is an interesting system, and I don't think OOC knowledge on it would spoil it.  Opening up knowledge for the system wouldn't likely create a rush of new crafters either due to how time intensive crafting is.  Maybe people would see that they could create this very nice item at highre levels and start down the path to learn the craft and create it, but many would give up long before they get there in favor of their normal style of play, so I don't see much risk to the player based economy from selling crafted items either.

Some an examples:

Leather patches:  Created by tanning small or medium animal hides with a bottle of tanning per hide, using a skinning knife.  Small animal hides yield one patch, while medium hides yield two.  Small animal hides can be found on otters, and badgers.  Medium animal hides can be found on deer, stags, and boars.  The DC to tan either small or medium animal hides is 10.

Boiled Leather patch:  Created by boiling a leather patch with a bee’s wax in the leather boiler using a boiling hook.  Besides a leather patch, a wolf leather patch, a snake leather patch, and a white stag leather patch can be used to make boiled leather.  There are likely more, and they will be added as discovered.  The DC for boiled leather patches is 10. Note:  Ten leather patches and ten bee’s wax can be done at the same time for ten boiled leather attempts.  This saves quite a bit of time over doing them one attempt at a time.

Boots:  The pattern for boots calls for two leather patches.  Using different types of leather patches yield different kinds of boots.
Leather Patches:  Standard boots, nothing special. DC? (don’t have it off the top of my head would update in the real thread)

Wolf Leather: Wolf fur boots, a new name and graphic, but nothing more to them than standard boots. DC? (don’t have it off the top of my head would update in the real thread)

Worg Leather: +2 to save vs negative energy. DC? (don’t have it off the top of my head would update in the real thread)

White Stag Leather: +2 to save vs cold. DC? (don’t have it off the top of my head would update in the real thread)

Snake Leather: +1 to move silently. DC? (don’t have it off the top of my head would update in the real thread)

Creatures with hides usable for leatherworking:

Deer and Stags:  Found in most outdoors areas around Vallaki.  Yield one medium animal hide.

White Stag: Found near the mountains North West of Vallaki (Area names would be included in the real post). Yield one White Stag hide.

Wolves: Found in most outdoors areas around Vallaki as well as inside the werewolf cave North West of Vallaki, near the Fisherman’s Inn.  Yield one wolf fur.

Boars:  Found in forest areas South of Vallaki and near the road in a few of the areas along the road east of Vallaki towards the Village of Barovia. Yield one medium animal hide.

Snakes:  A few varieties of snakes exist in areas around Vallaki.  One can sometimes be found in the farm area north of the Western Outskirts.  One can normally be found in the area east of the farms east of Vallaki.  One can sometimes be found along the road south from Vallaki to the dwarven area (name would be in the real post).  The small snakes noted above yield one snake skin.

The real leatherworking information thread would have more detail and information.  Any chance of a crafter forum section to share information?

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
Re: Crafter forum?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 11:48:43 AM »
What you mean to say is you would like online guide to all of this crap.

I would like online guides for all of this crap too to be honest :P

Some people have worked on guides I think... but it would be good if they had their own page or something. Maybe one exists and we just don't know it yet eh?

Right now I have 2 craft heavy characters:

The First one: Smelting, Smithing, Herbalism, Alchemy, wood work

The second one: All crafts. herp. just all of them.

There should be some sort of database, or means of learning whether it is IC or OOC. Maybe books you can buy in game that teach various recipes, or simply an online guide...

Head Trauma

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »
Find out IC.

blur927

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 12:06:38 PM »
Here's a semi-completed list:

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=30276.0

Like Head Trauma said, most of this can / should be found out IC. Something that might add value to the server is an in-character thread about various crafting tips / locations in the roleplay forum. Maybe one of the more benevolent crafting PC's (your PC?) could start a compendium of crafting knowledge that's posted around the various crafting buildings in Vallaki.

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 01:02:44 PM »
Maybe one of the more benevolent crafting PC's (your PC?) could start a compendium of crafting knowledge that's posted around the various crafting buildings in Vallaki.

I'm on it.

YouLitABonfire

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 01:21:34 PM »

sorry to hear about that snowflame. you know with treatment and medicine you can make it ALMOST like you dont have them at all. [snickers]

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 01:23:20 PM »

sorry to hear about that snowflame. you know with treatment and medicine you can make it ALMOST like you dont have them at all. [snickers]

I KNOW I REGRET MAKING NUMBER 2 AS WELL.

YouLitABonfire

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 01:26:37 PM »

you shouldn't bro and you should also know;

K, i'll stop trolling now  :lol:

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 02:19:48 PM »

you shouldn't bro and you should also know;

K, i'll stop trolling now  :lol:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:17:26 PM by Snowflame »

granny

• Outlander
  • If yeh're good to Mamere, Mamere is good to yeh!
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 05:24:27 PM »
Find out IC.

+1

there is no gain to open it to ooc knowledge.
"We all are (monsters), pretty dancer. Deep down inside all of us, there's a monster. Some spend their lives trying to fight it. They fail. Some coexist unhappily with their beast. They are miserable (...) you and I celebrate it" Anton Misroi

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 01:18:23 PM »
Find out IC.

+1

what? yes there is, it's just not as fun or creative as doing it IC :P

Tyras

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 11:16:55 AM »
Find out IC.

+1

Well, I've tried for a while now to strike up some roleplay while at the tanning tub or at the leatherworker bench, and outside of some passing conversations that essentially end at "How long have you been working with hides and furs?" I've not met a character with any interest what so ever in engaging in anything more than small talk.  Most of them just want to get in, work their skills as fast as they can, and get out and on to whatever their doing.  I didn't just start crafting and run to the forums when I got frustrated with the trial and error of the system.  I attempted to find IC solutions, and found none due to an unwillingness of most characters crafting in Vallaki to actually roleplay.  It's frustrating.  If there are veteran crafters out there that have an interest in sharing their knowledge IC or taking a novice under their wing to hunt or craft I have not met them.

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 12:03:48 PM »
My character has gone to taking apprentices... it's actually fun to RP with them.

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 01:29:42 PM »
There is also the fact that people do not want competitors for their wares. So unless you're a particularly goodly character, odds on are you're not going to want to teach people.
A most troublesome Fox.

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 01:53:27 PM »
There is also the fact that people do not want competitors for their wares. So unless you're a particularly goodly character, odds on are you're not going to want to teach people.

Oh but I am goodly :P

and actually competition is good. That means you can busy yourself with economic battles that can actually better your product and marketing strategies. Without competition, merchants do whatever the hell they want. Get super greedy, then irritate the hell out of people. If only one guy sold a certain type of product on the server and the only way to get it was that one guy he could make something like say for example...

Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds - 1000 Gold Pieces.

Just as an example, don't worry yourselves with technicalities, or skeletal knuckles or whatever just look at the big picture and the point I'm trying to make.

If you wanted to buy Product X and it's hardly worth one thousand coin and Merchant X is the only guy who makes Product X. You are kinda forced to purchase from him if you need it.

Eventually Consumed Y is going to get pissed off with Merchant X and work towards his own craft and run Merchant X out of business by doing all the things Merchant X did wrong to piss people off. The Consumer Y who is now Merchant Y is going to do what Merchant X did and you have a rather strange sort of economy, or on the other hand nobody tries to oppose Merchant X and Merchant X just keeps making money and nobody else has that opportunity.

History tells us on quite a few occasions that Monopolies are BAD. Now if you have competition... that means you have to work from a sales or marketing perspective you have to figure out "What the hell am I gonna do to sell my product?"

Coke'a'Potion Company decides to sell Cure Moderate Wounds Potions at 500 fang, while Pepsi Potion company sells at 300 fang a bottle. Now in this straight up price comparison, Pepsi is going to win because people will just buy cheaper.

Thing is for (whatever circumstance) Coke'a'potion can't afford to sell moderates at that price or lower (again all of this is just an example... and it would be ridiculous to sell that potion at that price just look at the point i'm trying to show you).

For whatever reason Coke'a'Potion company can't afford to sell them that low. Maybe they don't have enough of the right herb stock piled, whatever. But Coke'a'potion has to do something... so they come along and they do something like say: "Buy Cure Moderate, get A potion of Barkskin for free". So now they create a choice, an interesting choice, a brand, and a way for them to market and make money.

So now you have to ask yourself "Coke or Pepsi?".

Competition creates a more interesting market you see. Did I mention I love this kind of stuff? :P

I actually wanted to run a table top game based around being a Merchant Lord and players having personal armies, land etc.

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 02:04:04 PM »
Unfortunately, people don't tend to think from the perspective of "How can I encourage a trade war against myself?" so much as "How can I maximise profit?"

Natural economics happen, yeah, and it is good from a dynamism perspective, but it's just not logical for a merchant to artificially create competition, because while he has a monopoly, he is effectively winning, even if it sucks for a competitor or the consumer.
A most troublesome Fox.

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »
I tried to play a master smith, someone who sees his craft as an art and do put in time to make the appearance appealing. However, most people only look at stats, until someone can make better stats then Chinese stamped still will win over machined steel here.

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 06:47:21 PM »
I tried to play a master smith, someone who sees his craft as an art and do put in time to make the appearance appealing. However, most people only look at stats, until someone can make better stats then Chinese stamped still will win over machined steel here.

Yeah it's a shame that you can't get more creative with crafts like that...

Tyras

• Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 09:30:09 PM »
As far as the art and style aspect, with how players can dye and change the style of their armor or weapons on their own there's nothing left to the crafter except the stats.  I the table top game players can't simply change the look of their armor without having the neccessary skills to do so, at least not without serious risk to their equipment.  They have to commission a crafter to do it for them.  I suppose it's all a balance in the video game though with people wanting to customize their characters to prevent cookie cutter looks.

granny

• Outlander
  • If yeh're good to Mamere, Mamere is good to yeh!
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 09:51:13 PM »
*rolls an herbalist*
*wants to brew love potions*
"We all are (monsters), pretty dancer. Deep down inside all of us, there's a monster. Some spend their lives trying to fight it. They fail. Some coexist unhappily with their beast. They are miserable (...) you and I celebrate it" Anton Misroi

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 11:33:27 AM »
As far as the art and style aspect, with how players can dye and change the style of their armor or weapons on their own there's nothing left to the crafter except the stats.  I the table top game players can't simply change the look of their armor without having the neccessary skills to do so, at least not without serious risk to their equipment.  They have to commission a crafter to do it for them.  I suppose it's all a balance in the video game though with people wanting to customize their characters to prevent cookie cutter looks.

well there is name and descriptions or maybe adding extra materials to the craft like say... being able to add golden engravings or something.