You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: The price of spellcasting items  (Read 9252 times)

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
Re: The price of spellcasting items
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 03:57:02 AM »

If you actually want to keep the server low magic you must consider doing either one of below:

1. Add components (to both arcane and divine)

instead of bogging down the system with actual items what if you implemented a widget count on arcane/divine spell users? if you look in certain places you might find 'spell components'
like the scavenge point system in the nwn zombie mod? randomized amount of components found on a search and every time you cast a spell it burns up 'x' number of 'components'? on zsr the raw materials you find can also be traded with other players (50 at a time)

or..

implement the gold cost of components for spells as listen in the books? youd still be able to cast as it is now.. but it would be a gold sink.. and youll get a lot more players demanding money for their services from the warrior types

just an idea

the hard core (and unfun) way to do it would be to make it like the books and only let spells refresh once per game day (not rest)- or limit resting to once per in-game day (whats that every 48 minutes right?)
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Kaspar

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 04:11:03 AM »
the hard core (and unfun) way to do it would be to make it like the books and only let spells refresh once per game day (not rest)

:thumbup:

I voted to have the prices increase. I think that a balanced party needs to include a bard/sorc/wizard, and implementing a replacement for these classes isn't solving any sort of problem.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 04:12:34 AM by Vasile »

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 04:11:42 AM »
Alright, the way we'll go adjusting this will be somewhat by halving it - though not for all.

Let me explain:

The way we are going about the change is by modifying the cost-ratio of the charges-per-use setting, since it scaled rather ridiculously by default (50 uses vs. 1 use only multiplied the value by 6). This will mean that single use items will cost a little less than half the current price but it'll balance toward being the current price as items moves toward 1 charge/use.

Let me give you the numbers - that'll make more sense:

Old (Bioware default):

Code: [Select]
Label           Cost    
Single_Use      0.1334  
5_Charges/Use   0.45    
4_Charges/Use   0.55    
3_Charges/Use   0.65    
2_Charges/Use   0.75    
1_Charge/Use    1

New:

Label           Cost    
Single_Use      0.05    
5_Charges/Use   0.25    
4_Charges/Use   0.3    
3_Charges/Use   0.4    
2_Charges/Use   0.6    
1_Charge/Use    1      

It's not fully linear in terms of price vs. uses, but a whole lot more sensible. I did try making it linear, but it resulted in quite many items becoming way too expensive, and we'd have to go through all items. The above solution shouldn't cause any such issue - at most, it'll make some items cheaper than they were before we started messing with all this stuff.

I hope that works as a satisfying solution for all.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 06:05:50 AM »
Thnx soren
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 11:06:14 AM »
Alright, the way we'll go adjusting this will be somewhat by halving it - though not for all.

Let me explain:

The way we are going about the change is by modifying the cost-ratio of the charges-per-use setting, since it scaled rather ridiculously by default (50 uses vs. 1 use only multiplied the value by 6). This will mean that single use items will cost a little less than half the current price but it'll balance toward being the current price as items moves toward 1 charge/use.

Let me give you the numbers - that'll make more sense:

Old (Bioware default):

Label           Cost    
Single_Use      0.1334  
5_Charges/Use   0.45    
4_Charges/Use   0.55    
3_Charges/Use   0.65    
2_Charges/Use   0.75    
1_Charge/Use    1

New:

Label           Cost    
Single_Use      0.05    
5_Charges/Use   0.25    
4_Charges/Use   0.3    
3_Charges/Use   0.4    
2_Charges/Use   0.6    
1_Charge/Use    1      

It's not fully linear in terms of price vs. uses, but a whole lot more sensible. I did try making it linear, but it resulted in quite many items becoming way too expensive, and we'd have to go through all items. The above solution shouldn't cause any such issue - at most, it'll make some items cheaper than they were before we started messing with all this stuff.

I hope that works as a satisfying solution for all.

Aye, that sounds like a good way to handle things. Thanks, Søren.

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 03:12:12 PM »
bard/sorc/wizard
Yes..items that keep getting listed that these classes cant provide anyways, why keeps making part of the argument invalid for the prices to be raised.

Other then that, Im willing to see what these changes do.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 05:18:56 PM »
and they show up in loot in place of items in place of items of much greater usability.

I voted for quartered for this reason alone. At high spawn, a lot of dungeons have mainly scrolls as loot, and actual gear that I'm looking for never spawns because the loot table is so massive. As it stands, from Forest Fane I find I actually tend to get better loot when it's mid-high spawn rather than high spawn because there's more gear and fewer scrolls. I think having scrolls more available at easier spawns would aid lower levels more, they're the ones that could really use them.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2013, 05:28:09 PM »
Would it be at all possible to have separate containers for scroll spawns? Book stacks and things like that?
: )

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 06:33:39 PM »
Would it be at all possible to have separate containers for scroll spawns? Book stacks and things like that?

I would love to see book stacks contain more interesting things than The Barovian Times, like even a chance at uncommon books like the Van Richten series. I'd be happy if scrolls were put into book stacks.

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2013, 11:26:05 PM »
Some of the spell casting items are more expensive then they was before, after the second change
That ankth of Path that went from 1.5k to 5k with the change is now 7k from the vender..

Same for boots of expeditious retreat, I always bought them from the venders at 250 each for those 5 charges. now 700+

According to that chart 5 charges a use item would only be .25 of the price. 700 is a lot for 25 charges/5 a use item then.
and make an item like the Lesser cheetah cloaks ..something like 10k or more?

Badelaire

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2013, 11:30:51 PM »

I would love to see book stacks contain more interesting things than The Barovian Times, like even a chance at uncommon books like the Van Richten series. I'd be happy if scrolls were put into book stacks.

+Infinity.

I am also so fed up with Zecht books.

Kaspar

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2013, 12:06:09 AM »

Ugh.. Yes. I agree with this.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2013, 05:38:18 AM »
The price of food rations has increased tenfold.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »

Ohgodyes... We must make new books, forced in ice and fire while the bards sing! We shall call it... "The Song of Ice and Fire"!

waitaminute

I'd also like to see books catoring (Flavor wise) to the craft skills we have in game.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2013, 12:34:33 PM »
The price of food rations has increased tenfold.

i agree i just realized now after hoarding up a ton of meat cooking it and selling all the rations at the end of it i looked at the coin i made expecting like 100 at best and went

ZOMGWTFOMG its over 3,000?!  :shock: :shock: :shock: then i tried getting a dm but no one was on just now  :lol:

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2013, 02:11:15 PM »

Ohgodyes... We must make new books, forced in ice and fire while the bards sing! We shall call it... "The Song of Ice and Fire"!

waitaminute

I'd also like to see books catoring (Flavor wise) to the craft skills we have in game.

Yes. Acquisitionable IC guides to rafting.

Been ICly trying to learn how to carry out the Enchantment process. Being an Outcast race, it generally makes it substantially harder to learn skills from other players, or on occasion, get an interaction besides getting shot at. I know it's deliberately choosing hard mode, but still. Would be nice to have an alternative to waiting for a nonhostile character that knows the craft.
A most troublesome Fox.