You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Ring suggestion  (Read 3330 times)

-narwhal-

• Undead Slayer
Ring suggestion
« on: February 22, 2013, 04:26:05 AM »
Hello!

First of all iam not sure if i post this in the good section.. but i couldnt figure out where should i post this excatly, sorry for that.
Im pretty new here to suggest things i guess because the server works great already but its probably worth a try cuz why not. : )

So.. I would like to see some -not even close powerfull but usefull rings- for example +1stat points like charisma,con,str,dex,int,wis ones..
Even i know its a low magic server still .. i dont think it would ruin the server but would be so usefull .. even if these would be only craftable.. of course i would be more happy if these items could be added to the drops even if these would be really rare ones. (but i dont see why these should be very rare at all)

Also im not sure if its possible to add items like this to the drops.

Please let me know if its possible or not.. also iam pretty sure others would like this idea.

P.S Sorry for the bad english

e/ i just saw the right topic now, sorry for that .. if possible moove this post to the right topic because i dont know if i should double post it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:46:08 AM by -narwhal- »

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
Re: Ring suggestion
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 04:39:00 AM »
First of all there is this thread

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=5772.0

and this thread

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=5784.825

Now to the matter itself, stat items are discouraged for the server. I would say they go against a philosophy of the server when it comes to items. +1 stat items are also mostly useless

-narwhal-

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 04:42:19 AM »
First of all there is this thread

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=5772.0

and this thread

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=5784.825

Now to the matter itself, stat items are discouraged for the server. I would say they go against a philosophy of the server when it comes to items. +1 stat items are also mostly useless

ah damn, i really didnt see this thread sorry for that iam blind lol !
Anyways about the useless part.. some guys told me it would ruin the game because of +1dc,ab,spell slot and so.. some others says it would be useless (like you)
but for those who thinks it would be useless i dont really understand why ... it would be really usefull i think - but not powerfull so it could fits with the server low magic part.

YouLitABonfire

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 09:41:16 AM »
i personally  enjoy  the lack of stat gear and really when it comes to rationalizing its absence it stands to reason most of the Big Bads acquire most of the truly powerful items or artifacts for either themselves or their agents. Also i think the desired effect has been achieved by not including it as it pits a player against  a setting which is inherently hostile with little save their own merits and those of their peers to count on.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »
+stat gear tends to overpower melee classes. The only ones I think could really use it and not get OP are the arcane casters.
: )

FullMoon

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 12:39:30 PM »
I don't think a +1 here and there would hurt much and are especially useful with odd numbered stats. Str in particular since it is so easy to get encumbered. I don't think it's a major issue but it is an element that enhances the gap between casters who can buff themselves and classes who can't.

I would suggest a +1 Str ring usable by fighter types only, which is not stackable would be a nice addition. Rings for fighters that are currently available arent very attractive. From what I can tell fort +2 is the best one.

FullMoon

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 12:41:54 PM »
+stat gear tends to overpower melee classes. The only ones I think could really use it and not get OP are the arcane casters.

That might be true if you are talking about +5 rings but even a +4 str ring is only adding +2 ab and damage which is nothing compared to what a bard or cleric can do to their stats. Not that I'm suggesting there should be +4 str rings, but +1 would hardly make much difference.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 01:57:26 PM »
Permanent stat-boosting gear is really unbalancing on a PW, so we do not use them, ever.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 02:07:21 PM »
You do realize you have two ring slots, right?

YouLitABonfire

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 02:33:40 PM »

MIND = BLOWN  O_o

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 02:35:36 PM »

MIND = BLOWN  O_o

:lol: And if you're male......oh, nevermind.....:P

I wonder.  A device in PnP is a severed hand that is worn as an amulet and it allows for one more ring to be used....just an idea :) 
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 02:36:29 PM »

MIND = BLOWN  O_o

I wonder.  A device in PnP is a severed hand that is worn as an amulet and it allows for one more ring to be used....just an idea :) 
NWN engine limitations wouldn't allow for that.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 03:51:33 PM »

MIND = BLOWN  O_o

Hence why i think she said in pnp  :lol:

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 03:58:03 PM »

MIND = BLOWN  O_o

He was suggesting it as an item to be added

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 07:42:22 PM »
I don't really see the need for this considering that most people group up and despite being a low-magic setting, there are casters everywhere to buff you (and failing that, there's probably someone with UMD and scrolls). However, if you had to add some in, I'd say you'd be better off adding a 1 use/day spell like Bull's or Cat's at lvl 3. Under the current system (if I'm not mistaken) it would give you the ability to gain a 3-minute boost to those stats every two hours or so, which is more than reasonable. But even then, is it really necessary to have this stuff? I don't think so, personally. Granted, being encumbered can be a pain sometimes but again, that's what grouping up is for.

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 10:12:25 PM »

MIND = BLOWN  O_o

He was suggesting it as an item to be added
Yep. Well, more than any curious, if it was even possible.  Nice to know. Thanks!
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-