You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Cool Flags, Bro  (Read 44710 times)

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
Re: Cool Flags, Bro
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2014, 09:41:19 PM »
Yellow shield, darker wolf, red eyes as requested

Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2014, 11:11:58 PM »
Definitely my favourite option so far.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2014, 02:55:19 AM »
Yeah, that one looks awesome. Nice work!

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2014, 03:58:37 AM »
Blue approves. If heretic does then I guess thats final then  :D

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2014, 08:31:35 AM »
Yellow shield, darker wolf, red eyes as requested

A+

Awesome.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2014, 08:37:42 AM »
But... Where's the blue? There should be an earth shattering blue!

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2014, 08:53:54 AM »
But... Where's the blue? There should be an earth shattering blue!

read the thread. Heretic said there should be no blue

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2014, 09:02:02 AM »
so consider these final I guess folks xD

Forsaken_Warrior

• Just lurkin'
  • Undead Master
Re: Cool Coat of Arms, Bro
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2014, 09:39:24 AM »
What about Ionelus  :D
Played:
Juste Moreaux
Valenious Calan
Antonio Vezzoni (rip in pepperoni)

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2014, 09:55:53 AM »
Ionelus are not nobles.
Not all who wander are lost.

Geiger

« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2014, 10:13:53 AM »
Wachters are the only living "true nobles" in Barovia, outside of the Zarovich family. That being said there are several "new bloods" all over Barovia attempting to establish themselves from the "high offices" they gained due to their importance to their commmunities/how hard they've fang-banged with Strahd or his emissaries. Whatever keeps the taxes flowing.

Along these lines, I am sure that these "lesser names", like the Ionescus, probably having sigils or heraldry. They are a mockery of real nobility, but that is what they probably all think of themselves. lol.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:15:42 AM by Geiger »

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »
If people want to make them 'Crests', I'll give you a list of 'little nobles' in Barovia, along with some creative direction.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2014, 10:19:17 AM »
Excuse me.

But Ionelus could still have a family eblem if they are a family of importance, that I am sure of. They are not lowborns!  :mrgreen:

Also, isn't the Wachter "Flag" bit too frillsy? With the helmet and the yellow tentacle things....uh ribbons? I just looked at two south-eastern European provinces and their symbols! Pretty simple minus the crown if we look around the shields.

This is Wallachias symbol

This is Transylvanias symbol

EDIT:

Oh also! Some useless information! The helmet is probably a frogmouth!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frog-mouth_helm  :mrgreen:

It do also look a bit like Södermanlands "weapon" in Sweden, lol. Neato.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:23:02 AM by Budly »

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2014, 10:38:54 AM »
Also, isn't the Wachter "Flag" bit too frillsy? With the helmet and the yellow tentacle things....uh ribbons? I just looked at two south-eastern European provinces and their symbols! Pretty simple minus the crown if we look around the shields.  

What you are describing is the entire crest as a whole, that's not going to be slapped on a flag like that.
If you were to put it on a flag, it'd just be a yellow flag with the black wolf on it, possibly with a red border.

Basically the content within the shield is generally the part that will always appear on the flags and shields.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:40:29 AM by Feronius »

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2014, 10:40:48 AM »

What you are describing is the entire crest as a whole, that's not going to be slapped on a flag like that.
If you were to put it on a flag, it'd just be a yellow flag with the black wolf on it, possibly with a red border.

I just think the crest itself, is ill fiting for Barovia. But thats understandable.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2014, 12:48:47 PM »
Here is a list of Canon & semi-canon noble families of Barovia - we could discuss them and decide what we do.

Below, Old Canon Families - extinct families:  http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Category:Family_of_Barovia

----------------

Buchvold Family : Note - this family particularly interests me for plot reasons.

Ivilskova Family

Katsky Family

Petrovna Family : http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Category:Petrovna_Family - This one is interesting if we ever get Ge'hena implemented.

Triksky Family

Velikovna Family

-----------------

Ionelus - Interest in this, for obvious reasons

Marusca - Fishing experts family in Vallaki

Dolevina (Not so much noble but they have influence and means - they are gundarakites)

Von Zeklos (Extinct)

Roche (Previous Burgomaster's of Vallaki.) - This family interests me for plot reasons.

Antoanetas - Canon, wine producers, not in module yet.

Luminitus - Canon wine producers

Romuliches - Canon wine producers

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:58:04 PM by Heretic »

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2014, 01:52:12 PM »
Marusca - Fishing experts family in Vallaki

Some of their crest has already been decided on, right? You notice something if you pass through the residential district.
There's a yellow descriptive message about a fishing family crest, something about a trident and fish if I remember it right.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2014, 02:04:09 PM »
Some of their crest has already been decided on, right? You notice something if you pass through the residential district.
There's a yellow descriptive message about a fishing family crest, something about a trident and fish if I remember it right.

If you can find that reference, post it here please.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2014, 02:07:21 PM »

If you can find that reference, post it here please.

Nevermind, it refers to the Trouther family sigil, not the Marusca family. The Trouther sigil is a fish being speared by a trident.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:36:37 PM by Feronius »

Forsaken_Warrior

• Just lurkin'
  • Undead Master
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2014, 02:19:41 PM »
If there isn't anything canon for Ionelus, I suggest the unconventional coat of arms colours of brown and gray (I guess to fit the already existing Vallaki color scheme, and the fact that Vallaki is the 'Grey City' after all)

Sigil would probably be a tower or something to represent the citadel and if you want an animal in there for the GoT fueding families vibe, it would be on top of the tower
(just like how the Burgomeister's residence is at the top of the citadel)

Here's a quick and simple one I made with probably one of the best CoA makers around, the animal in this case isn't their own specific one but Barovia's/von Zarovich Raven
http://inkwellideas.com/coat_of_arms/free-version/
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:59:40 PM by Forsaken_Warrior »
Played:
Juste Moreaux
Valenious Calan

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2014, 03:49:56 PM »
We actually used those blue and white chevron banners to represent Vallaki. That doesn't necessarily have to mean that they also represent the Ionelus family, though. There could be one banner for each.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:51:49 PM by Bluebomber4evr »

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2014, 04:26:24 PM »
If there isn't anything canon for Ionelus, I suggest the unconventional coat of arms colours of brown and gray (I guess to fit the already existing Vallaki color scheme, and the fact that Vallaki is the 'Grey City' after all)

I thought they were just poor and didn't really have a colour scheme, just undyed brown leather and chainmail for their militia garda.

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2014, 05:13:07 PM »

I thought they were just poor and didn't really have a colour scheme, just undyed brown leather and chainmail for their militia garda.

This would make sense.  The only truly wealthy family in Barovia is the Wachters, thus they have the cheddar to throw at such things

And after the general built all those new fortifications?  I'm sure Vallaki's coffers are drained out the wazzoo.  Just hope the DM team will take into account a little bit of the economics of such an affair, though I trust they already have.

Forsaken_Warrior

• Just lurkin'
  • Undead Master
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2014, 05:25:22 PM »

Well I just chose brown for lack of a better one, since their garda (including the honor guard) wear those colors

We actually used those blue and white chevron banners to represent Vallaki. That doesn't necessarily have to mean that they also represent the Ionelus family, though. There could be one banner for each.

Fair enough given the banners available I guess, though imo a more greyish banner (again highlighting this whole 'Grey City' niche) might be more fitting
Played:
Juste Moreaux
Valenious Calan

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2014, 05:32:25 PM »
I do think the Ionelus family has some kind of sigil, since their personal funds are most likely seperate.

Just wanted to point out the Vallaki garda aren't typically trained professional soldiers for hire, but more like militia.
So they don't wear any colours, that is just the colour of the undyed leather, but brown is as good a guess as any.
Brown usually doesn't work too well for banners though, too muddy. But grey, white and blue would make sense.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 05:35:00 PM by Feronius »