You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: A thought on familiar/summon death  (Read 6596 times)

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
A thought on familiar/summon death
« on: February 20, 2013, 03:50:39 PM »
Why not just put a timer on how long they need to recover if they're slain in combat? Something like 12 hours iRL?
: )

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
Re: A thought on familiar/summon death
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »
personally i'd be more interested for those familars who aint 'undead' to have a unconsious script and bleed out like pcs do that'd be interesting i think! if it could be done

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 05:45:51 PM »
Why not just put a timer on how long they need to recover if they're slain in combat? Something like 12 hours iRL?
That's basically the default way of handling familiar's deaths that Bioware implemented. :P

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 05:53:46 PM »
In P&P losing your familiar is a big deal. They need to be raised or replaced, if memory serves.

However, much unlike Prisoners, Familiars are actually useful in P&P.

C'est la vie.
A most troublesome Fox.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 03:59:17 AM »
That's basically the default way of handling familiar's deaths that Bioware implemented. :P

Actually isn't the default once per rest cycle? And seeing as you can rest at any time and as many times as you like in the vanilla game that equates to... Companion dead? No worries, just rest and summon it again.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 12:45:54 PM »

Actually isn't the default once per rest cycle? And seeing as you can rest at any time and as many times as you like in the vanilla game that equates to... Companion dead? No worries, just rest and summon it again.
We restrict rests to 3/day, so a timer of every 12 hours is very close to that, which is why I used the qualifier "basically." :P

But yes, the "no worries, just rest and summon again" mentality is why we changed the familiar system in the first place.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 12:57:17 PM »

We restrict rests to 3/day, so a timer of every 12 hours is very close to that, which is why I used the qualifier "basically." :P

But yes, the "no worries, just rest and summon again" mentality is why we changed the familiar system in the first place.

blue would there be anyway to implement an 'bleeding' unconscious system for those familiars/animals that are 'alive' aka not the undead ones obviously like we got for pcs?

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 12:59:10 PM »
I really don't know, I'm not a scripter

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 01:07:02 PM »

"Being careful", alas, just means far less familiar use or rp since it is not worth the consequence. I simply don't use animal companions, and i stopped relying on my imp, who many players would simply murder like one steps on an insect.

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 01:16:50 PM »

"Being careful", alas, just means far less familiar use or rp since it is not worth the consequence. I simply don't use animal companions, and i stopped relying on my imp, who many players would simply murder like one steps on an insect.

Yeah Shady's right. I've barely ever seen anyone use familiars as anything more than free buffs at battle start, and Animal Companions at all. Lot of players get stomp happy the minute they see anything of the sort.
A most troublesome Fox.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 01:25:16 PM »

Yeah Shady's right. I've barely ever seen anyone use familiars as anything more than free buffs at battle start, and Animal Companions at all. Lot of players get stomp happy the minute they see anything of the sort.
That's still much better than people using them as meatshields

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 02:43:19 PM »

That's still much better than people using them as meatshields

Forgive me on this blue but I think that is to me at least disappointing? I  understand the change on familiar and companions, wholeheartedly yet I feel we went from one extreme of 'meat shield' to the other of 'oh noes no summon them cause they cost too much' could a sort of medium ground be reached? I really wish I could make more progress on my self taught tutorials i read online on scripting and the toolset, just setting up areas and stuff and designing them etc i think I am good at, but anytime it drifts to scripting a special thing outside the norm of nwn i just fuddle up

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 04:11:27 PM »
A medium ground would be nice. Right now Animal Companions and Familiars are really not worth summoning, Which is problematic for a class like druid that SHOULD be using their pet.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 05:03:30 PM »
Yeah, kinda miffed about my druid not being able to associate with her chosen companion cause its just too darn dangerous out there to justify having the pet out at all. Although I use the pet mostly as a RP tool which is fine I guess but darn it... She has a panther as a companion! Aren't panthers supposed to be..Oh I don't know.. A deadly predator?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:24:54 PM by Honoun »

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 05:10:21 PM »
Yeah, kinda miffed about my druid not being able to associate with her chosen companion cause its just too darn dangerous out there to justify having he pet out at all. Although I use the pet mostly as a RP tool which is fine I guess but darn it... She has a panther as a companion! Aren't panthers supposed to be..Oh I don't know.. A deadly predator?

yeah better question is why is it a lvl 11 ranger can sneak by a pack of werewolves upon on the baratak range but cant sneak by 3 emaciated crag cats?  :lol:

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 05:25:51 PM »
Yeah, kinda miffed about my druid not being able to associate with her chosen companion cause its just too darn dangerous out there to justify having he pet out at all. Although I use the pet mostly as a RP tool which is fine I guess but darn it... She has a panther as a companion! Aren't panthers supposed to be..Oh I don't know.. A deadly predator?

yeah better question is why is it a lvl 11 ranger can sneak by a pack of werewolves upon on the baratak range but cant sneak by 3 emaciated crag cats?  :lol:

I was actually wondering about that little quirk myself :P

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 05:50:57 PM »

yeah better question is why is it a lvl 11 ranger can sneak by a pack of werewolves upon on the baratak range but cant sneak by 3 emaciated crag cats?  :lol:

Wait what? I've snuck past crag cats with my lvl 3 Ranger... werewolves as well for the most part but I've definitely gotten past the crag cats multiple times with him. He's got around 14 Hide/MS if I recall (haven't played him in a while). On a semi-related note, is there any way to make your companion enter stealth mode? I've never found one myself.  But I'm going off-topic here. I somewhat agree with the original point that there should be some middle ground here as I've often enjoyed companion/familiar RP and I rarely see it anymore. Blue made a valid point about the rest cycles, so perhaps a solution worth considering is to simply reduce the cost per level for raising a companion? On the flip-side of the coin though, you can't really fault a player for being IC about wanting to murder your imps or other blatantly demonic/monstrous familiars. Heck, even some animal companions I can understand a fear response from. It might be nice if they at least gave the pet's owner a bit of time to respond with some RP before they up and slaughter it though, much like you would in normal PvP.

FullMoon

• Undead Master
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 06:57:11 PM »
How about if your familiar dies it is gone until next reset ?

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 07:48:07 PM »
That sounds worse than paying to raise it, honestly. :P What if we don't do a reset for a week?

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 07:59:58 PM »
What if we don't do a reset for a week?

After 48 hours, the server crashes two or three times a day until people bitch and moan for a reset...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

DangerousToGoAlone

• New to the Mists
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 08:45:02 PM »
It would also mean the corpse cannot get lost.

Which is the reason I am reluctant to bring my character's fragile familiar out, moreso than the money.
Anaya Firewind - Kagonesti Shaman
Vanessa Whitemantle - Revered Daughter of Paladine

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 08:58:02 PM »
Just a crazy thought. Are there any non-staff that are actually in support of the current Familiar/Companion death system?
A most troublesome Fox.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 09:01:29 PM »
Just a crazy thought. Are there any non-staff that are actually in support of the current Familiar/Companion death system?

I support it, I just think that with it should have came a semi boost to animal companions mostly or expanded choices for druids/rangers.....ravens anyone? sheesh rp material there alone for me woulda been awesome  :lol:

Ramika

• The Original Mika!
  • Undead Master
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 09:27:38 PM »

I support it, I just think that with it should have came a semi boost to animal companions mostly or expanded choices for druids/rangers.....ravens anyone? sheesh rp material there alone for me woulda been awesome  :lol:

I support it too. But, I do think that if we have to pay to raise them, a boost would be nice. I feel like every companion I have ever used or tried with my characters has been super squishy and not worth the money lost to raise if it dies.

Active "Mains":
On Cellimene: Gabriela Dimir/Camelia Niculescu
On Ramika: Kyla Murray
Alt (On Cellimene): Andala

FullMoon

• Undead Master
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 10:02:05 PM »
That sounds worse than paying to raise it, honestly. :P What if we don't do a reset for a week?

At least this way no one could murder and hide your familiar's body.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:04:52 PM by FullMoon »