You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Adeline: Angel Heart  (Read 5207 times)

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
Adeline: Angel Heart
« on: February 15, 2013, 02:23:37 AM »

She sat down, on the cold floor of the crypt, surrounded by the bones of the undead she slew. Unscratched yet weary, she produced a piece of paper, reading it once more, for the thousand time it seems. With every written word, her morninglordian armor felt heavier and heavier, as her eyes slowly drift along the lines of the letter, then to the wedding ring on her finger. She reads it once, twice already, over and over again, hoping that it is just a scam, struggling to find just one letter that would have not been written by her husband. Sighs and her hand holding the letter falls to her side, her head leaning back on the cold stone of the sarcophagus she leans on.
  "Even..." she pauses her whisper, struggling to hold her emotions inside her. "...the darkest night cannot last forever." she continued closing her eyes, completely ignoring the fact that there would be other undead lurking around. "Dawn approaches... and you are its herald..." she starts laughing after her words, a laughter mixed with tears. "You are... the emissary of hope..." pauses after "hope", gasps, then slowly continues "...salvation, and surcease". She stops, opening her eyes and looking around. She takes out the finely crafted wedding ring and throws it. The ring hits a wall then the floor. "Liberate others from... from... their fear and teach those you cannot release... to endure just a little longer". "Endure..." she repeats the word. Takes her hammer and shield after crumpling and throwing the letter in a pile of rubble. "Justice comes to all evildoers eventually, not by man's laws, but by your hand and the tortuous paths of fate." she speaks getting herself up, with renewed strength. She starts walking, speaking slowly "Lift the spirits of the downtrodden with the good news of the Morninglord's coming.". Her voice is louder and louder, her grip on her hammer tightens, as her left arm lifts the shield. "Pledge your protection to the unfortunate whenever the opportunity presents itself, and see your pledge through to the end... the bitter end" corrects the dogma while opening an old rusty door with her foot. She looks upon the undead in the room. "Destroy the foul undead wherever you find them, for they are the enemies of the dawn." she almost yells now as she plunges inside the room, slamming shut the door behind her.
  A crumpled piece of paper, stained with tears, rests forgotten on a pile of rubble in a crypt close to a very beautiful golden ring.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:09:12 AM by ManticoreRO »
Elena Vasilovici - "Better die for something than live for naught"

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
Re: Adeline: Part 2
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 01:39:57 AM »
  "I do not want revenge!" she said to Agaran trying to smile. Yet her body and her soul screamed inside her, almost bursting. "REVENGE! REVENGE!". Yet she held it to herself. She kept it just for her and  her only.

"I will go mourn my husband." she said to Agaran and Anaya. "But mourning is for the weak. Why mourn?" she thought as she descended into the crypts, perhaps the only place she felt like home, disposing of the walking corpses, channeling her anger towards the undead. As she fought, a glimmer caught her attention on the cold stone of the floor. After her hammer crushed the last skeleton, she approached and picked up a ring, staring at it, turning it on every side, trying to feel the joy she felt when she first put that ring on her finger. "Warn, my husband, my love. You will be avenged!" she speaks slowly as she puts the ring back on her finger. "But first, I need power. And there is only one person who can give me that..." she growls looking around the empty hall.
  "I need to find her...". These words repeat over and over again in her mind, with every heart beat, with every breath. "I need to find her". Her anger exploded into rage, and rage into a mad scream, echoed by the empty halls and corridors of the crypt. She screamed a name, which she feared more than anything, but needed so much; a name that comes with a promise of power.

Then she waited for the name to answer.

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
Re: Adeline: Part 2 - Atonement
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 11:22:42 AM »
  She was already running, as the thunder of the Tser Falls seemed closer and closer. She finally understood. This fight was a fight she could not win. Conflicting thoughts rushed through her mind. As she reached the middle of the bridge, she stopped looking down. People would never forgive her for what she has done. There was no atonement, there was no way she could undo what she has done. Warn was her last hope, but he just felt like a dream. A warm dream in this cold land. But he was no more, and she knew she would not be able to contain her anger, that she would fall even lower to become a monster... There was only one way to stop this from happening.

She smiled. She leaned forward just a bit. Then all was quiet.

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:09:14 AM »
  Cold... was so cold. She felt the wet stones under her, the waters of the river pushing her more and more onto the shore. Coughed water from her lungs, gasping for air. Started crawling slowly, her armor heavy and wet, shivering in the dreadful cold, the thundering of the Tser Falls too loud. "The children cry... they cry! Lord of Dawn help me!" she whispered. No. She screamed, covering her ears and turning on her back, the cold waves still engulfing her feet. "Live... live... my love", Warn said to her. Was he there? No, no... Warn left her, then he died. Warn tricked her into thinking she will be happy, that she will be forgiven.
  And suddenly, all was quiet. She opened her eyes, looking around. "Cursed be the gods..." she said, turning on the cold rocks and starting climbing up the steep cliff.
  She was alive. Blood gashed through her hair, from a head wound, slowly covering her face and slowly freezing. "I wanted to die... you bastard!" she waves her fist at the sky. "Why didn't you let me die?". She struggled up, with the little strength she got left. "I am... a monster... lord of dawn" she cries almost reaching the plateau on which the bridge was built. "I am... not a paladin. There is no... atonement for a... blackguard". And as she felt the dirt of the road, drained of strength, she fell unconscious.

Opened her eyes. She felt the warmth of a bed. She smiled as a familiar smell filled her senses with joy.
  - Warn!
  He answered, yet the news she had for him made her pay no attention.
  - I am with child! she said with a trembling voice, filled with happiness. We will have a baby!
  Another child starts to cry. She stares at the ceiling, smiling.
  - Arwin is hungry, my love. And yes, I am with child! she said with a giggle. I am so happy! Aren't you, my love?
  - Yes I am... a strange voice of an old man answered, followed by violent coughs.
  Her eyes widen as the cry of the children turns to a scream of a thousand newborns. As she turns to look at the man, two glowing eyes meet her gaze, a man in white armor standing right next to her, laughing madly.
  - YES I AM... Hahahaha.
  Flames appear from nowhere, engulfing the room, as she darts towards the small cradle. Cries of newborns, laughters of a mad voice and coughs of an old man fill the burning room. She takes the child from the cradle. "Arwin! Arwin! You're safe with me." she cried, holding the child at her chest, looking for a way out.
  Suddenly, all turned dark. A crushing silence engulfed her, the child scream stopped. She held Arwin at her chest, looking around, terrified. She could only see herself and the child from the dim light of her armor. "I am the pillar of light in the darkness. I am the bringer of hope." she encouraged herself, holding the child with one arm and taking out her sword. From nowhere, dim noises appeared. People. Coming towards her. "I am the pillar of light!" she said looking around. Tens of people were approaching, and as they gathered around her, she would recognize each one of them. All eyes were fixed on her and the child. Few stepped aside. She smiled as she seen Warn approaching, him smiling to her as well.
  - My love. Arwin is safe with me... We can make it through! she spoke, her voice filled with hope and happiness.
  They stared at her. Warn raised his arm, pointing at her sword. "MURDERER!" he growled. In an instant, tens of voices started repeating the same word over and over again, pointing at her, growling, approaching her with small steps. Her eyes widen as a she sees blood dripping from her sword. A weird salty taste in her mouth. Blood! She looks down at the newborn in horror. His throat was slit open, blood gashing out. "MURDERER!" they screamed. Tens of hands grabbed her. She was crying, begging for forgiveness, holding the dead child in her arms. She felt lifted.

It was cold, but a bit warmer, as she woke up close to a campfire, listening to a familiar voice.

She started crying.

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 04:03:43 AM »
  As Dumitru, the beggar she seen every day in the temple, left the sewers where he was held captive, carrying a large pile of coin and a beautifully crafted ring, she felt joy for the first time in weeks. Although she was tricked, again, and almost died, she knew it was worth it. Everyone in this land deserved to live more than she did. Her life meant nothing and she would throw it away in an instant to save another's. Her friends believe in her, all of them. They say she is a good woman, that she has a kind heart. Yet her sins will never be forgotten. It is the price she must pay. But even so, she swore an oath. She will do anything in her power to make this world a better place or die trying.
  Warn was alive. But she would never seek him. He chose to leave her, she understood that and chose to just live with it. If he believed his path was not for her, then so be it. And for the first time in a long while, she felt a sense of purpose.
  And for the first time in weeks, she felt there is hope.

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 10:07:34 AM »
  One learns for the past deeds. One uses that knowledge to not repeat the mistakes made. But one cannot live in the past, but for the future. Adeline kneel slowly as the Vicar started the ceremony. They were not holding it for Warn's death. Warn was alive. No. They held it for her, for the one that was Rada, for the one that committed all those sins, terrible sins that so few can forget. She didn't cry. Refused to cry for one that should remain dead and buried in a distant and unsettling memory.
  The Morninglord gave her the strength to move on, to fight and win a battle so hard, that hope was just an impossible dream. Yet she prevailed, helped by her friends and even by her enemies. In that moment, as the Vicar spoke the prayer for the dead, she forgave all the people that made her do what she done, all the people that tried to or hurt her. In that moment she swore to protect and fight for what is right.
  As Sethraan spoke, she looked to him; friend and kin. And perhaps more. Much more.

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
Re: Adeline: Angel Heart
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 04:58:28 AM »
  In a remote inn, in a far away village, two people speak of gods and true power. One explains, the other listens silently, trying to engulf the huge amount of knowledge offered for free. Beliefs shattered, but hope renewed.
  Adeline looked at the amulet she was offered. She seen it so many times, she even found some in piles of trash, but she never bothered about its significance. Andral's Light. Andral... an old god of the long forgotten past. But how could the Morninglord or Ezra be a lie? She thought at this, struggling to find connections, struggling to find just one fact that would prove that what she was told was a lie, yet she failed. A place where a vampire can easily enter and linger about is not holy, it's not safe, it's not a sanctuary, however strong that vampire is. A god would never allow such a thing, not in a thousand years, yet it happened.
  Andral... a mistery to so many, even for her; a path was laid for her. A path to redemption, a path to forgivness. As she thought of this, a terrible thought flooded her mind.

What if it is all just another trick?

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 09:19:41 AM »
  She watched Master Legos as he forged the sword in the dwarven smithy. With every hit of the hammer her confidence in a better future grew; "Hope... I shall name her Hope!" she said looking at him as he worked. Before it was finished, Legos inscribed few words on the blade.

"The Righteous stand against the Darkness, and Hope shall guide their hand."

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 06:33:01 AM »
  Many hours passed, as she sat on a chair studying all written reports on the vampire called Mother. Her past, how she became what she became... why she became the monster she is now. As she read the lines, sadness crossed her face, remembering a sacrifice she made, realizing that she was not the only one to fall like that. Pity... that's what she felt for the monster that almost killed her, pity and sadness. For Mother is the best example of what Adeline could have become. Pity or not, she has to be destroyed. So many waves of lightcarriers and dawnbringers and ezrites tried, but one by one they failed. "And besides, she has my sword!" she thought with a sigh.
  Suddenly she smiled, remembering something. A single kiss in the night. More than a thousand words...

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 11:48:25 AM »
  After a long time, Vashen spoke to her, shown his disfigured face. He seemed ready. Ready for whatever he was about to do. He spoke to her. As she received an amulet and a stake, she felt pity for him. He was for her a true paladin, and wherever he went, he would remain such.

As he left, Adeline realized she would never see him again.

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 12:10:04 PM »
  She stared at the fire, the Vistani in the Tser Falls camp minding their own. The trip to the sands of Har'akir ended well. She felt she learned a lot. Yet she couldn't refrain a feeling of sadness. Not only regarding the tormented mummy they destroyed. That was necessary. She was an undead, doomed to hate and never feel the warmth of the sun for eternity. Death was just freedom for that damned soul, imprisoned forever in a shell of a body, driven by vengeance and madness. "Burn it. And you will be atoned!" he said. It couldn't be that easy. It shouldn't be that easy.
  She sighed, as the words of Jayne filled her mind, swirling into menacing shape. She had never seen such anger before. So much hate condensed into one mind, already weakened by plague and bad luck. Adeline hoped Jayne would at least try to fight that anger, to realize what she did was wrong. Her desperation, the simple reason behind her actions, was understandable, but how can Jayne be forgiven, when she still believes that what she done was right? Pride... anger... a dark path that ends badly. She felt sorry for Jayne. She tried to convince her that what she was doing was wrong. She tried and she will, again and again. Only when there will be no turning back, only then... Jayne would be truly lost.

Adeline stood up smiling. Looked around. The dawn was near. Not looking back she started her journey back to Vallaki. Duty called.

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 01:37:45 PM »
  As she finished her report, her eyes drifted towards a book, forgotten on the table for so long. She stared at it, her mind blank of any thoughts, yet filled with the crying of innocents. "When will this stop?" she whispered closing her eyes and holding her temples with both hands, rubbing them lightly, hoping it would all go away. But they did not. They were part of her now, they were the punishment for her past sins, and she knew they will hunt her until her last breath... even beyond life. She sighed lightly, turning her eyes back to her report. She reads it again and again, not seeing the written words, not understanding her own writing. Suddenly, her hand reaches for an amulet set on the table before her. It looked like a normal morninglordian amulet, but felt special. She took it from the table, whispering the name of a woman, a woman she didn't even meet, she didn't even heard about. "Antonia...".

All of a sudden, just for a moment, it was all quiet. And she smiled.

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 10:07:10 AM »
  A changed man... a changed woman. They met and talked for hours. About themselves, about the world. She didn't feel love for him any more. His eyes told her the same thing. And it almost felt like a talk between strangers. Almost!

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 08:45:27 AM »
  She looked around in the small empty crypt. Her breathing was fast, as anger flooded her mind and body. Muttered curses followed as she angrily hit the wall with her fist, again and again, cursing and crying. Spent, her fists hurt, she fell to her knees in the small dark room, tears flooding her eyes, as she repeated over and over again "Eliza... I'm so sorry!"

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 06:10:16 AM »

She prayed for a something she didn't deserved. Her sisters prayed with her, as she spilled the holy water from the Grail on top of a small mound of rocks, a long forgotten resting place of a child. Yet even the holiest of rituals attract the darkness, as it surrounded them. She cried, she asked for forgiveness. And she remained in the light. After the ritual ended, she knew she was forgiven.

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 07:39:15 AM »

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 03:12:28 AM »

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 04:13:23 AM »

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 04:24:31 AM »

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 09:00:12 AM »

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 01:35:03 AM »

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 11:04:26 AM »
  She sat on her bunk, hiding her face in her hands. Two lightcarriers passed by the door talking, their footsteps too loud. She rubbed her face few times, as if trying desperately to wipe the exhaustion off. "How long will this go on?" she said slowly to herself, shaking her head as her elbows rested on her thighs. Vampires, neuri, necromancers, murderers, every evil thing this world can throw at her. She met them all. And with all her struggles, she lost every single time. With a sigh she stands, slowly removing her heavy armor. Just a quick glance at the mirror, all that was needed to notice the marks of the last weeks. Bites, more bites, burn scars, acid scars, strange scars made by strange powerful spells. "I'm a mess!" she said smiling as she turns her gaze to the mirror. Her hand slowly goes to her neck, where a small violet spot lies. Rubs it a moment, then she sighs, closing her eyes. Suddenly, she smiles, as a single thought passed through her mind, a sweet thought of peace and quiet, of serenity. No more vampires. No more neuri and mad necromancers, no more traitors and murderers, just light, a warm soft light. And quiet...
  Adeline slowly lay in her bed, comforted by a single thought. As she closed her eyes to sleep, her lips moved, speaking slowly to herself: "daughter".

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 12:08:22 AM »
[the remnants of this book can be found around the mist camp, some pages burnt, some still intact, carried by the wind]

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 06:18:51 AM »
  [A new empty book is opened, and the quill started writing. Adeline leaned over the blank pages, writing, then thinking, then writing again. All is written in celestial]

There again, and back again. Sometimes I can be an idiot but this is another learned lesson for me. I wonder how many times will I be dragged in the mud. And I ask myself how many times I will be able to rise up, wipe the dirt and move on. Only time will tell. For now, I need to regain strength, for our enemies are powerful and they do not waste any time. Resources are necessary, and for me to acquire them I need to lay low, try not to provoke anyone, even flee if confrontations ensue. And moreover, I need to get my thoughts straight. Focus is the key and this is what I will do. I do not have a lot of time left. I will speak to Lucadia more regarding this. And to thank him again for the much needed slap he gave me (although not literally, for that matter).
  Aravaeyn, or better said Wren, is slowly drifting towards what I fear the most. I tried to help her yet she angered me beyond comprehension. She is a sad being, searching for dawn knows what. And I cannot help her if she doesn't want to be helped. She wants friends, but she looks in the wrong places. And the path she follows now will lead to her demise. Perhaps that is the release she deserves. And not only her.
   I gave Lucadia the letter Bela sent me. It is the only thing we have that somewhat belongs to him. Luca promised he will try and find the body using that letter and I wish him all the luck. I do hope I will be there to help, as much as one as me can. If this won't work, who knows if we can ever find him, unless we go for more peculiar methods. But at this point, I would do almost anything to find him. Almost anything.

May thy lips be cleansed

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 08:57:56 AM »

[written in Celestial]
  At long last, I feel like myself. No more pain, no more suffering. I feel only the strength of my god, flowing throughout me, pushing me forward. I am no hero, I need no acknowledgment. I am just Adeline, the lightcarrier. And I shall guide everyone to the light I see.

For the sun always rises.

May thy lips be cleansed.