Author Topic: Enchanting - The Level 20 XP Wall  (Read 3327 times)

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Enchanting - The Level 20 XP Wall
« on: February 09, 2013, 05:27:34 PM »
A character that reaches level 20 is automatically maxed out on the soft cap (even if they were not capped before the level was taken).  This means if a level 20 character has something enchanted, they not only lose their level, but are unable to begin gaining their experience back for a matter of about two months.  I'm not sure if auto-capping level 20 characters is intentional or part of some legacy system, but it does skew enchantment even more toward level 14.

(this is unrelated to the boots thread :), this is just a thought I've had for a long time)

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
Re: Enchanting - The Level 20 XP Wall
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 11:47:33 AM »
Not to be a dick, but if some ones already stuck it out all the way to level 20 then what's 2-3 more months? Its less than optimal but at least it gives you something to look forward to again.

FullMoon

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 11:52:47 AM »
Also slows the flooding of enchanted items.

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 10:12:18 PM »
exp is harder to gain at high levels. If somebody wanted flood the market with enchanted goods it be a lv 14 character who could gain that exp back in a week compared to the lv 20/19 taking several months.

and not that flooding is happening at all anyways, just about enchanted gear being passed to other pcs either from death of another pc or some arrangement of power most players cant trade for.

Draxiss

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 09:22:32 PM »
exp is harder to gain at high levels. If somebody wanted flood the market with enchanted goods it be a lv 14 character who could gain that exp back in a week compared to the lv 20/19 taking several months.

and not that flooding is happening at all anyways, just about enchanted gear being passed to other pcs either from death of another pc or some arrangement of power most players cant trade for.

There's enchanted gear on this server?! [insert humorous emoticon]

I can definitely attest to that; I've never seen a surplus in magical gear. Since this is supposed to be a low-magic server, that makes sense, to an extent. However, it doesn't make sense that someone who's "perfected" their abilities (who cannot improve) shouldn't have a more ease with enchanting things. Besides, I thought level 20 was hard to reach (or it's just me being really bad at leveling.)

Anyway, that's my two fang.
Draxiss - Survival. It's what's for dinner.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »
trough normal play it would take you a little over a year to get to lvl 20.

now for the enchanted gear it is true a lvl 14 has it better to do that then a lvl 20, but i saw people had a solution to this just logon a diffrant char use his/her xp and voila.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 11:59:25 AM »

now for the enchanted gear it is true a lvl 14 has it better to do that then a lvl 20, but i saw people had a solution to this just logon a diffrant char use his/her xp and voila.

uh given that breaks like how many rules on here less i'm mistaken?

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 09:10:09 PM »

i know this was my way of saying that the team needs to pay a little more attention, and those that did it that i know and if i know it happends again that i will rat them out  ;)
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 08:04:59 PM »

i know this was my way of saying that the team needs to pay a little more attention, and those that did it that i know and if i know it happends again that i will rat them out  ;)

shouldnt you rat them out regardless? :P

DM Anecdote

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 08:08:42 PM »

The muling script does catch this.

The consequences for getting caught are great.
anecdote, n.
 1. a short account of a particular incident or event, especially of an interesting or amusing nature.
 2. a short, obscure historical or biographical account.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 11:56:37 PM »

nope we all try to do something bad atleast once.

well not always it seems or theres a route around it ;)

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 11:58:08 PM »

nope we all try to do something bad atleast once.

well not always it seems or theres a route around it ;)

Dude. Report that s**t

Bersilus

• New to the Mists
  • Yargh!!
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 11:49:40 AM »
sorry to hijack this alittle, but i hope dm's also look into some players behavior.. doesn't mean if no screenies means you can't do anything..
note that name because if a few more reports, doesn't that give you clues that the person is really a turd?

and i support amon's view, report it and stop before more abuse it.
A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His might upholds the weak
His word speaks only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked

Knight's old code
King Aurthor's sermon, 5:18

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 12:03:38 PM »
We've prevented the most common exploits and made sure to better log enchanting, so there shouldn't be issues with that in the future. We've also taken action against the people who did this.

As for the OP, the concern is relevant, but it's such a marginal issue that it's not something I've given much priority to yet.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 12:40:53 PM »
We've prevented the most common exploits and made sure to better log enchanting, so there shouldn't be issues with that in the future. We've also taken action against the people who did this.

As for the OP, the concern is relevant, but it's such a marginal issue that it's not something I've given much priority to yet.

well sorry i didnt report folks, am glad this led to a better "follow the rules" system  :)

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 02:22:36 PM »
Exploiters should still be reported. If you hear about an exploit, you dont need to try it before informing the Devs about it.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 07:52:33 AM »
Not to be a dick, but if some ones already stuck it out all the way to level 20 then what's 2-3 more months? Its less than optimal but at least it gives you something to look forward to again.

2-3 months? Look forward to? Are you crazy? I cringe when It comes to levelling up.

queenofspades

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 03:47:25 PM »
Would not a simple solution be to make the cap at a cetain XP point than just blanket at level 20? perhapse at half way to level 21/at the level 21 threshold? I once, years ago played on a server capped at level 21 till you gained 'epic' status through events and such, where you gained tokens to pass to 21 etc.

When you gained XP there at level 20, you'd get to level 21, level, attempt to take the level, but it would strip you of most of the xp for that level. then start again.
Currently Playing
Filipa Florea
Gwendolyn Blackmore
Ylndar Lharithlyn
Erik Mihaly
Chloe Labelle