Author Topic: You are Here.  (Read 2395 times)

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
You are Here.
« on: February 07, 2013, 08:04:21 PM »
Had a thought, I've a character building module I downloaded off the vault some time ago and in one of the test areas there was a notice board that when clicked on would reveal the map of the area it was in to the player. Now we could have the same thing on this server for certain areas, major population zones such as Port-a-Lucien would benefit I think.

One way of doing it would be to have the notice board pointing to places of interest via a map on the board to a visitor within the city as its description would say but upon clicking it the area is revealed to them. Allowing us to bring up the mini map to navigate the area as if we were following the map on the notice board.

Thoughts and ideas?

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
Re: You are Here.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 08:32:34 PM »
I'll admit the city is large & complicated to navigate at first, but then so are most cities ?(Apart from Milton Keynes)   Once you have been round a few times you know how get where your going.

Although I would like to see one added to the skelly caves near Barovia village  :-D

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 08:42:53 PM »
My idea was more an assist for newer arrivals to a city and those that wouldn't go there often enough to get to know their way around all that well. Port feels like a touristy town to me what with all the attractions they have there so I don't think such a system would be all that out place ;)

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:14:09 PM »
Isn't it possible to simply remove the "fog of war" from the map entirely in rural areas?
Essentially toggling the map to be fully explored in city areas from the moment you enter. If that's possible.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 10:29:04 PM »
There is a command to reveal an area as a player enters it yeah, I just thought a notice board with a map would be kinda neat ;)

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 05:10:01 AM »
Related thought; What about hooking map retention onto the data token? Seems a bit silly that I forget the way to X, Y, Z every reset or major crash.
A most troublesome Fox.

Ehver

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 05:14:47 AM »
Related thought; What about hooking map retention onto the data token? Seems a bit silly that I forget the way to X, Y, Z every reset or major crash.

Yeah... I really don't care for map-resetting with the server. : ) I don't know anything about the scripting that would be involved... but I would very much like to see a way to keep map-completion, especially in towns.
Ilinca Cristescu - Urban Witch
Player Faction: The Mistraiders

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 08:00:05 AM »
Doing such could be tricky if it all possible, the fog of war resets after each surver reset becuase thats what it does by default. Could hard coded in to do that.

dark_majico

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 12:10:41 PM »
Had a thought, I've a character building module I downloaded off the vault some time ago and in one of the test areas there was a notice board that when clicked on would reveal the map of the area it was in to the player. Now we could have the same thing on this server for certain areas, major population zones such as Port-a-Lucien would benefit I think.

One way of doing it would be to have the notice board pointing to places of interest via a map on the board to a visitor within the city as its description would say but upon clicking it the area is revealed to them. Allowing us to bring up the mini map to navigate the area as if we were following the map on the notice board.

Thoughts and ideas?

For a modern day city like Melbourne or London, that is a logical and reasonable thing for the city planners to give the green light too, but for a backwards fantasy roleplaying setting in a medievil time line, it's much less so.

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 01:30:09 PM »
I know it's possible to script a hook for a data item which can tell you if you've been in an area before. (I.e. Thay server has it to give 10xp for every new area entered), and this could be used to store a flag "has entered area". And then on subsequent entries, it can reveal the map.

Potential for exploitation? Most certainly. Have most of us already scoured every inch of a map several times? Fairly likely.
A most troublesome Fox.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 02:43:04 PM »
For a modern day city like Melbourne or London, that is a logical and reasonable thing for the city planners to give the green light too, but for a backwards fantasy roleplaying setting in a medieval time line, it's much less so.

I was just tossing an idea out there and seeing what peeps thought of it. I'm less interested in the does it make sense side but more so in the how we could we make such happen side of it. But this is just a "What If" thread mostly so yeah. Not actually expecting anything to come out of this, just wanted to start a discussion mostly ;)

I know it's possible to script a hook for a data item which can tell you if you've been in an area before. (I.e. Thay server has it to give 10xp for every new area entered), and this could be used to store a flag "has entered area". And then on subsequent entries, it can reveal the map.

Potential for exploitation? Most certainly. Have most of us already scoured every inch of a map several times? Fairly likely.

Would having such a hook create issues though? Don't get me wrong I'd love a system in place that would remember what area's we have explored already but I assume that doing it in such fashion would have the potential to cause at the very least lag and at worst who knows what. Just seemed to me the easier option by far would be a clickable item that only gets used occasionally as apposed to something that will fire everytime a player crosses into a new zone. After all once you've been through an area a few times bringing up the mini map is less important as you get to know your way around without it. Thus I feel having a clickable item would be best as it would only get used by those who need to use such and the rest of us can just keep on doing what we are doing ;)