Author Topic: Mining and ultrabuffed casters.  (Read 7530 times)

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
Re: Mining and ultrabuffed casters.
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 03:45:46 PM »
You have to be logged into the server and a DM available to get an answer from the Pack Oxen NPC to answer that question.  They don't have a forums account.
Istavan Donner

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 08:46:14 PM »
To the original subject:

Lower strength characters that don't cast magic that toil around taking ages can't greatly increase their ability to mine.

That sounds like it's working as intended. Miners generally aren't low strength people. They're big, burly, (often Dwarvenly) folk who make a living doing hard work. If anything, the server is lenient in allowing casters to mine as well.
: )

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 09:13:34 PM »
To the original subject:

Lower strength characters that don't cast magic that toil around taking ages can't greatly increase their ability to mine.

That sounds like it's working as intended. Miners generally aren't low strength people. They're big, burly, (often Dwarvenly) folk who make a living doing hard work. If anything, the server is lenient in allowing casters to mine as well.

Not tru-....no, he's right [sigh]
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 10:01:20 PM »
Reguardless of str, mining still feel level based, unlike all the other perfessions, the actual how well you mine is dependent on how many attacks per round you can make. 2nd level characters could get very high in any other skill in a short amount time if they was working on it, but mining at one attack per round with a pick could take 15-30 min without power attack to get a full vein

once you have 2-3 attacks per round, could take five miniutes to do this work

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 11:26:35 PM »
Reguardless of str, mining still feel level based, unlike all the other perfessions, the actual how well you mine is dependent on how many attacks per round you can make. 2nd level characters could get very high in any other skill in a short amount time if they was working on it, but mining at one attack per round with a pick could take 15-30 min without power attack to get a full vein

once you have 2-3 attacks per round, could take five miniutes to do this work
Yep, yep. Hire a monk. With flurry of blows, they mine fast! (Shameless plug for monks to get jobs. hehehehehehe.)

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 11:45:01 PM »
orrrrrrrrrrrrr and this is just an idea have this fella as your summon and all problems solved.

hulk smash puny ore
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 12:41:13 AM »
orrrrrrrrrrrrr and this is just an idea have this fella as your summon and all problems solved.

hulk smash puny ore

Can you do anything with copper or tin dust? Hehehehehe.

-Semi-Retired-

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 12:52:51 AM »
he would just collect it and crush it again into a piece of ore

dust+dust+hulk high pressure= lump of ore

see it is win win.

i say we ask the dm team and staff to implement this as a fammiliar or a summon.

...kinda looks like kayne on steriods now to think of it.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2013, 01:13:41 AM »
 :lol:

-Semi-Retired-

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 08:37:58 PM »
The reasoning behind this pricing is that we want to encourage actual player interaction; if characters could make a profit selling to NPCs, you'd see casters masscrafting just to make money by selling to NPCs, thus generating no roleplay. Buyers could buy from the NPC, sure, but that wouldn't be player interaction or roleplay.

It's a player market and that's exactly how we envisioned it. I don't foresee us changing that any time soon.

Part of the problem is that by taking up crafting in a serious way you are, by definition, removing yourself from any form of protracted role-play unless your lucky enough to form an extended and dedicated group. Another big problem with crafting purely for PCs is really the only thing in high demand are perishables like potions, varnishes, and arrows. If you can craft armors or weapons your not really going to see all that high of a demand for them, because outside of a really unlucky encounter with a rust monster or black pudding each character really only needs a single suit of armor for their entire career. My ranger wore the same suit of armor from level 3 to level 15, and my cleric was able to buy in the Vallaki Visanti camp someone's cast off Steel full plate for like 100 gold at level 3 or 4.