You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Summoning Menu  (Read 2166 times)

Dread

• Dark Power
Summoning Menu
« on: February 06, 2013, 01:20:46 PM »
I really think it'd be nice if we had the ability to choose from a list what we summon with Summon Creature I-IX and the Planar Binding series of spells. In the latter case, it's kind of saddening that you can't summon anything but fiends (and not even fiends of the correct alignment in some cases) when you're evil, so the spell is essentially useless if you're trying to hide the fact that you're evil.

At the very least, you should be able to summon slaads.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
Re: Summoning Menu
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 01:57:22 PM »
Slaad are for neutrals! Clearly a fine way to prove you are not evil...But it would be nice to have more variety in summoning/animation spells.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 01:59:35 PM »
For that matter, most alignment restriction equipment is also sorely misplaced in this setting. I've actually seen people try to use Lodestars IC as alignment tests... >.<
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »
Slaad are for CNs, but I would have loved a menu/selection system for summons, a choice at start or when finding specific items of a Theme would be the most awesome. But its unlikely to happen, as it requires a lot of scripting/balancing to get right. But we would love whoever did it forever and ever

and using items for alignment tests, has already been stated in the past to be cheesing and not valid

Geiger

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 02:04:08 PM »
This requires them cleaning up the palette as it'd require for the most part redoing the summoning system. You also don't even need a menu, but you could create "options" within the summong spell like you do with protect alignment/vine mine/shadow spells.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 02:07:05 PM »
In reality, you should be able to summon whatever you want. The real question is to whether or not the outsider will want to do as you ask of it.

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 02:47:30 PM »
A theme sounds like an interesting solution.

Mist Elementals for Ezrites!?

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 03:29:31 PM »
Having implemented the alternate summons, familiar & companions for my own module (which will never see the light of day) , I can say it takes a hell of a lot of pallet space .

The altering of creatures is quite simple and took me 2 evenings to do everything, the real issue for this server will be pallet restrictions

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 04:55:27 PM »
In reality, you should be able to summon whatever you want. The real question is to whether or not the outsider will want to do as you ask of it.

Just to point out: You can probably summon whatever you want as long as your summoning with the use of arcane magic, not divine. A cleric/deity isn't going to be able to summon something that doesn't represent their deity. Infact, the players handbook does mention somewhere that clerics cannot cast spells which possess descriptors that oppose their own, or their deities' alignment.

..And yes, the pallete restrictions, and balancing, is what takes the most time. Having helped with it a little bit on two servers now.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 06:44:46 PM »

Just to point out: You can probably summon whatever you want as long as your summoning with the use of arcane magic, not divine. A cleric/deity isn't going to be able to summon something that doesn't represent their deity. Infact, the players handbook does mention somewhere that clerics cannot cast spells which possess descriptors that oppose their own, or their deities' alignment.

..And yes, the pallete restrictions, and balancing, is what takes the most time. Having helped with it a little bit on two servers now.

Wouldn't it be possible to hook something into the existing system where only the models would change to suit the summoner's 'theme' without the need to make completely new creatures?

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 08:33:05 PM »
I was actually going to suggest an appearance-change system, but it gets rather complicated with some of the templates, where like, spiders have immunity to mind at level 4, elementals have their immunities at level 7-9 and so on.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 06:13:20 AM »
This would be bloody awesome! Amia got this I think or atleast an extended pallet.