You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: The Petite Paladin  (Read 1207 times)

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
The Petite Paladin
« on: January 26, 2013, 03:33:03 AM »
   Sitting on the grass, she looked upon the first blank page of an old leatherbound book. She would sometimes smile to the people passing, sharing with them the happiness in her heart. "You will make use of this far better than I would", the tall elf said to her (although all elves seemed tall compared to her, some half-lings too) as he gave her this book after ripping off the pages he wrote maybe a very long time ago. "But what to write in it?" she thought, holding the book at her chest, throwing  yet another smile to a passing man. She sighed as she starts writing, pausing after every word.

Father Koykoy used to say that "Even a small person can change the world". I always followed his advice, even if we grew up together. He got old and wise, I remained a girl. I always felt sad for humans, seeing their lives consume in the blink of an eye, yet their determination in raising me, an elf, is laudable. So, yes, he used to say that. Now I find myself lost in this strange world, with only his advices guiding me, although his idea to use swords against undead sucks. The bigger the hammer, the faster they fall. Tested and retested, as I try helping a local faith here with the bony problem in their crypts. Quite a bad problem, I may add. But as father Koykoy said: "The bigger the problem, the better the satisfaction in resolving it. Like women.". Never knew what his problem with women was, but for some reason he was always right... except the moments when they slapped him.
  There are four kinds of people here.
  Good people. The helpful ones, the ones that return a smile.
  Neutral people. The ones that don't return the smile, and basically not notice you.
  Bad people. The ones that wear black. I no trust them.
  Weird people. They think we elves eat children. Hard to convince them otherwise.
  And maybe I can add the fifth type... Scary people. Big man at inn door is scary. The local guards are scary... yes they are.

I made few friends too. Elves or humans. Me forgot their names, but I remember always when I see them. Met a follower of Tormy too, but woman in black is turning him into an idiot. Any woman that wears black leather and shows her charms should go work at the Wives Inn, where father Koykoy used to go saying he donates for charity. She should go there and leave sir Aarun alone. But I can't force him to leave her, because as father Koykoy said: "We are not allowed to judge. But that doesn't mean we aren't allowed to kick someone in the butt for doing something wrong".
  Maybe I write more soon... [smiley face]

She looks down satisfied at the filled page and offers yet another smile to a bypasser, closing the book shut.
Elena Vasilovici - "Better die for something than live for naught"

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
Re: The Petite Paladin
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 12:55:57 AM »

Father Koykoy always used to say: "Fear is what defines us. But you must overcome it, for only the ones that manage that will show true bravery."
  I fear many things, from rats to heights. I got to cross deep chasms and fight huge humanoid rats. Does this make me brave? I don't think so. Not yet. But this land throws every worst fear of yours against you, and one survives if only he can conquer those fears. Father Koykoy had it right, and I am glad of the long nights I listened to his advices. He is... was perhaps... a good man. I miss him already.

I do not know what to believe of this land any more. Some speak of the gods having no power here. But miss Yoa managed to raise a man from the dead. She did it by sheer will, and her goddess granted her the power to. Or was it her goddess? My greatest fear is of the unknown, and this is unknown territory for me. Yet I must press on, for this land needs me. I can bring happiness to people. And as miss Yoa proved father Koykoy's saying: "Small men can achieve great things, since no one expects them to.", I gained a little more confidence.
  I heard about strange happenings in the Village of Barovia. I don't know where the place is, but I feel the need to go there.
  I will write more...

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 03:22:54 AM »
  The little elf finally sits exhausted at the table. She rubs her face, looking around her. Bedrolls, bandages and food, people moaning and coughing. Then her gaze fixes on one body, of a child. She wipes a few tears from her bloodshot eyes then opens her leatherbound book.

I am trying everything I can. It is of no use, I cannot find a cure for this plague. The village is in a desperate state, bodies piling up all over. I managed to get the help of the local morninglord cult and improvised a hospital. Yet all I can do is ease these people suffering while they fade and pass into the other world. I try to think of an advice from father Koykoy, but my mind cannot find it. I am running out of bandages and food, and I have no time to try to get more from Vallaki. I will ask help from the Vallaki Vicar of the Morninglordians. I need more people and supplies as fast as possible.

The disease:
- starts with a light cough. It lasts for almost a day.
- swallows full with puss appear on the victim. This lasts almost another day.
- coughs with black ooze appear in the third day, followed by skin turning greyinsh
- death in the third or fourth day, depending on the person. Children do not last that long.

I have tried everything I know to cure this. Potions, the blessings of Torm, oilments. It doesn't work.

I will write more...

Few tears fall on the page as she writes. As she finishes, a man lifts a hand, begging for help. As she reaches him, he dies.

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 01:45:26 AM »
  She sits at a table, in the morninglordian hospice, staring at the blank page in front of her. Suddenly she begins to write frantically.

Father Koykoy used to say: "For some, there is no hope of redemption. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't be given a chance at least.". I noticed this chance denied from people. I couldn't do nothing but fight side by side with my friends. Too many innocent people have died these past days, maybe weeks. But did the two people deserve their fate? Did we do the right thing by slaying them? Only time will tell. This world is cruel, far more than I even imagined. Some things just do not apply here.
  Now we are waiting to see if brother Shy'Nar's cure works. I can only pray and hope it does. People deserve a chance, people deserve hope that things would be better. Shy'Nar offered them that and for this I am grateful. Thank you, paladin of Illmater, for everything. For now, all I need to do is watch for the sick. If my help will be needed elsewhere, then I will gladly offer it. With the rumors of the ghoul slain we can have at least a bit of quiet and do our jobs as we are required to.
  I need to go check on the sick. I will write more...

She shuts the book close and stands from her chair with a sigh. She stares at the book for a moment then safely stores it in a bag. Then nods and goes back to her duties, with a smile on her face.

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 01:06:20 AM »
  Father KoyKoy always used to say: "Better be hit by lightning than be hit by love.". I think I see the reasoning behind those words. How can I do my duties if my mind is always on him? How can I fight the ghoul and try to stop this plague if I cannot concentrate at the task at hand? And what can I do when he doesn't even seem to notice me? No matter. I will see to my duties and perhaps I will forget.
  We followed the ghoul, seemingly alive, into an old crypt. Was a bad idea, since we had to struggle to escape that place alive. Even if I got lost from the main force, I managed to crawl my way out. When I met them, they showed me the evidence they found in that place. That was the place where the man died and the "ghoul" was born, while hunting for a great artifact of some sort. It is a sad ending for a graverobber, but in my experience, most of them end up dead, or walking dead anyhow. I pity him but for him there is no room for redemption. He is driven by hunger and nothing else. Reasoning with him is impossible.
  And as Shy'Nar said, the cure is not complete. At this moment, this potion just delays the disease, not totally cure it. I just hope they find the ingredient needed as fast as possible. People are still dying, and we are helpless. He will find it, he will make a working cure.

She looked up from her leatherbound book. Staring at the wall in front of her, she blushes thinking at someone. She sighs, closes the journal and gets back to tending the sick.