Author Topic: Installation Issues  (Read 3184 times)

Dukica

• Undead Slayer
Installation Issues
« on: February 02, 2013, 07:06:05 PM »
Like some of you may have heard, I've gotten a new PC. It took me a while to set up everything and today I tried transfering NWN directly via LAN so that I do not have to bother with the CD keys (In other words, directly copied it) and it didn't really work. Neither did the uninstallation work, so I put it in the recycle bin.

Then I found the installation, I tried installing it. SUDDENLY, it says "Insert Play Disk". I've thoroughly checked my drives, it is definitely not installed. I tried deleting the temp folders in hopes that it remained there. Still nothing. So, oh mighty PotM, do you have an answer?

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: Installation Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Dukica

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 07:28:48 PM »
I'm missing the whole game. I already deleted it in the recycle bin and I can't install it again.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 07:39:36 PM »
Hmm. Do you still have your own CD keys?

If you can get a copy of the GOG version of the files, you can install that and then play with your CD keys.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”

Dukica

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 03:45:00 AM »
I'm not exactly sure if I can get the GoG version of the game :/

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 11:42:05 AM »
You could always just buy it again. It's only like $5 nowadays.
: )

Dukica

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 04:49:22 PM »
You misunderstood me. The installation won't work because my computer believes that I have NWN installed, even though it is not. I deleted it via recycle bin. I still have the installation.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 04:51:16 PM »
It'll be in your registry files. I suggest you do a search through your registry and delete any mention of NWN in that case...

VeeTpl

• giff RP pls
  • Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 05:41:24 PM »
Programs like CCleaner are good for that.

Try to use it.
Player of:
Yuliya Vorius

Dukica

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 06:32:55 AM »
Programs like CCleaner are good for that.

Try to use it.

I tried using it, wiped all the temp files and ran the registry issue scanner. Nothing. Still won't install.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:36:00 AM by Dukica »

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 07:06:30 AM »
Okay... the following is not for the faint-hearted but it may be worth a shot. Don't do this unless you've got the re-install disks for Windows and you're willing to risk having to do a re-install if it goes wrong. Back up all other files first.

Go to your start bar and launch regedit. (Enter "regedit" in the search bubble.)

Go to Edit > Find and do a search for "Neverwinter". Delete the entry that comes up, then Find Next. Rinse and repeat.

Don't be overenthusiastic in culling entries. Just delete entries that pertain to Neverwinter Nights. Hopefully you should find a few errant references and be able to reinstall the game.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 07:08:42 AM »
P.S. I accept no responsibility if things go badly and you're forced to do a re-install of Windows... messing around with regedit is basically a last resort before the re-install option >.>

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 08:17:15 AM »
I have a less drastic fix I'll post when not on a mobile. You'll need a memory stick.
A most troublesome Fox.

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 08:27:33 AM »
You Can try and reload your PC settings before you tried to install the game perhaps?

Dukica

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 02:48:06 PM »
Okay... the following is not for the faint-hearted but it may be worth a shot. Don't do this unless you've got the re-install disks for Windows and you're willing to risk having to do a re-install if it goes wrong. Back up all other files first.

Go to your start bar and launch regedit. (Enter "regedit" in the search bubble.)

Go to Edit > Find and do a search for "Neverwinter". Delete the entry that comes up, then Find Next. Rinse and repeat.

Don't be overenthusiastic in culling entries. Just delete entries that pertain to Neverwinter Nights. Hopefully you should find a few errant references and be able to reinstall the game.

Well, I might try that, but not right now. I don't think my local PC shop will accept the guarantee if I tampered with the registry files :/

You Can try and reload your PC settings before you tried to install the game perhaps?

I installed too much data for me to back up, it would be like losing half of my PC.

I have a less drastic fix I'll post when not on a mobile. You'll need a memory stick.

Hoping that will work.

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 02:54:15 PM »
Alright so basically, I have been copying across my NWN since XP. I initially installed my copy of NWN on a Windows XP computer, then with the coming of Windows Vista, I put it onto a pendrive in 1GB chunks, and re-assembled it in perfect recreation on the new computer.

Each time, the registry doesn't recognise NWN as installed, and yet it functions perfectly as all callsigns are in place.

So far I've jumped 6 computers using this method, so I'm fairly confident that it should work. All you need is a pendrive and it set up on another computer already.
A most troublesome Fox.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 05:46:56 AM »
I also still got that spare NWN from GoG that I won last year. If you need it just tell me.  :)

Dukica

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 08:46:51 AM »
Well, thank you guys for the assistance and tips. After picking a bit through the actual installation, I managed to work something out. To whoever I RP with or who would like to RP with me, I'm available to play now!

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 08:46:58 AM »
For the record those that have the gog version. Remember that the update has the no cd key, so it gets messy if you tinker with the files.

Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company