Author Topic: Adamantine Shield  (Read 6643 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Adamantine Shield
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:12:07 PM »
This item is a bit underwhelming right now. It's merely a +1AC bonus, making it identical to a masterwork large shield except for flavour.

Any chance it would get a bit of DR to make it a little more unique? A point or two of DR versus physical would represent adamantium well.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Kaspar

Re: Adamantine Shield
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 09:45:06 PM »
This item is a bit underwhelming right now. It's merely a +1AC bonus, making it identical to a masterwork large shield except for flavour.

Any chance it would get a bit of DR to make it a little more unique? A point or two of DR versus physical would represent adamantium well.

This would be really neat.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 02:05:19 AM »

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 02:27:02 AM »
So 1, 2 or 3 DR depending on type of armour, seems only fair....

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 02:28:25 AM »
Hmm, it's a shame they don't mention any shield special effects... there ought to be...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 02:29:01 AM »
oh, wait its a Shield. A shield would just be heavier and harder to destroy, in PnP an Adamantine weapon would make a mockery of everything that wasnt Adamantine during a sunder attack. And the shield wouldnt give any other bonuses than being able to survive a sunder attempt from an Adamantine weapon

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 02:37:16 AM »
How about Immunity to Disarm to represent that? It would at least add something unique to the palette... seems a pity to have items that haven't got much going for them. At the moment this shield is basically vendor junk for most parties.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 02:45:03 AM »
The link Blue posted says that Armour made from adamantine has a damage reduction of 1/- for light, 2/- for meduim, 3/- Heavey armour... So why not make the shield as its a large shield have a damage reduction of 2/-..... A small shield can be 1/- and a tower 3/-, though I have not seen either of those in game if indeed they exist ;)

Zhernebog

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 02:58:57 AM »
Can we gain the adamantine armor?
Screw the stupid ancient croc plate that gets enchanted I want dr 3/-

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 03:36:36 AM »
Bah, they changed it in 3.5 edition! In 3.0 it didn't have DR.

I'll see what I can do.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 08:32:56 AM »
Could make adamantine items immune to rust monsters.
Istavan Donner

Kaspar

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 09:50:43 AM »

This. [Bites nails!!!!]

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 10:40:49 AM »
I don't think generic physical damage reduction that stacks with the specific types we already have would be a balanced addition to a shield.  The other ideas are okay though.

Zhernebog

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 12:04:31 PM »
This would be really nice but insofar i counted only a few things in a few locations that have the capability to destroy.shields/armor
Outside of the noted rust monster and a species of ooze, would this benefit really make it worth lugging around as side shield? Or even taken over an enchanted at the higher levels?

Also, outside of the dr 5 items that almost always have mandatory 25% vulnerability to another form of damage, and high level barbarians, what else gives off just straight dr? And even if it did stack youre looking at a high level barbarian with a proposed 11dr to bludgeoning without a 25% vulnerability as opposed to 8dr to bludgeoning.

Most players should carry multiple weapon damage types, and if it's an issue of making dungeoning easier I say bravo to the barbarian who thought ahead and brought the exact items to succeed, or have I missed something huge here hahah?

Geiger

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 12:05:52 PM »
^--- I agree. We need to make sure its not the same type as DD or Barb reduction. They stack in NWN for some reason.

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 12:07:27 PM »
There's a reason Igor hauls around a maul. Those oozes are a bother!  But yes, some protection from rust monsters would be grand.  Losing armor and such to them really sucks.  So, the idea to make the adamantine shield rust proof would be epic.

Zhernebog

• Undead Master
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 12:13:43 PM »
Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that you could apply an immunity to disarming on the shield, would that immunity carry over into when you fall/die?

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 12:15:14 PM »
Bronze items could use a buff.

Expand copper to also having +2 to oozes?  Copper works on slugs/snails why not slimes?
Istavan Donner

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 02:46:38 PM »
I don't think a single point of DR is all that imbalancing, but we have a "rare" treasury which only has a 1% chance of spawning its items, so it can always be moved there if it's too powerful.

As for being immune to rust monsters, we do plan on updating the scripts rust monsters and oozes use to not affect certain material types (wood, bronze, etc.) but it requires adding the material property to all existing items, which will take a while. The good news is that I've already done this for all loot items. There are still stores and NPC items to pick through, however.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
How about Immunity to Disarm to represent that? It would at least add something unique to the palette... seems a pity to have items that haven't got much going for them. At the moment this shield is basically vendor junk for most parties.

Immunity seems kind of strong but maybe a hefty bonus to discipline would mimic some of its properties.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 08:50:49 PM »
Immunity seems kind of strong but maybe a hefty bonus to discipline would mimic some of its properties.

Good suggestion :thumbup:

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 04:34:17 AM »
I like this also far better than the DR. :thumbup:

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 03:24:13 PM »
Damage Reduction is fine as a standard property of adamantine. It's a rare, expensive metal anyway. I've already altered the shield to have +1/soak 5 Damage Reduction and it makes it around 8,000 gp, so it's a high-end item now, which is fine with that ability.

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 06:28:28 PM »
Suddenly want a shield user..if I was going build a melee  :D

Perkele

• JCD
  • Dark Lord
  • bionicman
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 11:46:05 AM »
Suddenly want a shield user..if I was going build a melee  :D

Well, it's a question of whether you want more AC or more damage.
Gimme the GEP gun.