Author Topic: sky high prices...  (Read 22902 times)

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
Re: sky high prices...
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 02:51:02 PM »
Also of note: The CLW potions sold by the vendor to new characters are now 101gp per potion.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 03:48:06 PM »
I like Minecraft!

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 03:48:35 PM »

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 03:53:21 PM »
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Fierna

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 03:54:57 PM »

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2013, 04:01:32 PM »
Hate Minecraft. Fiercely.
A most troublesome Fox.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 04:02:53 PM »
Dwarf Fortress > Minecraft.
: )

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 04:11:53 PM »
I think they can both be !!fun!!

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 04:14:56 PM »

+1

Also, way to derail the thread Soren.

Badelaire

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 04:31:03 PM »
Mebbe Rhymo should host a PotM minecraft server if he's still alive then? Eh Rhymo?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2013, 04:54:43 PM »

+1

Also, way to derail the thread Soren.

Hehe, well, I think it does say something relevant to the topic. Crafting and player inter-trading might just be tedious to some (to the point they feel like ridicule it), but I personally think it makes good sense having it act as central parts of the experience. It really adds a lot of dynamism.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 05:00:08 PM »
Agreed, I personally hate grinding things like that but it adds a whole other level to the server and frankly, just because I don't enjoy it doesn't mean it shouldn't be there.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2013, 05:10:44 PM »
inter trading is not a problem, all rpg's have that BUT when the traders also use high prices, with that i mean pc traders then it cripples.

does this mean that the prices go up aswell when you sell an item to a merchant?  cause that balances it out.
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2013, 05:14:31 PM »
inter trading is not a problem, all rpg's have that BUT when the traders also use high prices, with that i mean pc traders then it cripples.

does this mean that the prices go up aswell when you sell an item to a merchant?  cause that balances it out.

Yeah, it does.

Kaspar

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2013, 05:40:26 PM »

Cause and effect! If merchants charge to much people will under cut them like me.  :D

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2013, 05:45:35 PM »

Yeah, it does.

then i dont see the problem, if a 100 gp item is now sold for 250 to a vendor and the items on the vendor cost more then nothing has changed just the numbers.

Gilad Abrams

• Undead Master
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2013, 06:13:36 PM »
From what I've seen so far your getting less from the vendor not more when you sell to him. Also as mentioned above prices are insane for stuff the vendors are reselling.

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2013, 06:27:15 PM »
I've noted a decent mark up in rates, but then I play characters who invest heavily in Appraise.
A most troublesome Fox.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2013, 06:35:21 PM »
It's a deliberate move to encourage the herbalism economy and to discourage soloers.

After spending so much time playing NWN Minecraft to gather herbs then brew them, I don't have time to stand around the outskirts selling potions. Most ppl I know craft potions for the use of themselves and their friends only. There's just not enough time to sell them as well unless being a full time merchant is what you want to do.

..I remember the older days, one potion at a time. (Damn you Threnn, where ever you are..)

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 12:00:22 AM »
Yeah, Kalin is a brewing fiend - I can succeed at anything I touch on him now with herbalism.  Yet, I still only give potions out to a small smattering of people.  There's just no way to collect enough of everything to make stacks of potions for the selling.  Good luck all you non-casters! 

Or if you're not a caster and you can't find any potions or varnishes to purchase, jjust make a con-based barbarian.  Even if you're dumb as a brick, for some reason you'll just constitution yourself into being the ultimate craftsman!  Alchemy, herbalism, metalworking (smelting anyway) and I think even leather working - all you need is the ability to eat day-old sushi without vomiting to be a champion!  And you get mega-hit points and more skill points than a fighter!  So if you're not going caster, go conbarian.
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2013, 12:06:55 AM »
Yeah, Kalin is a brewing fiend - I can succeed at anything I touch on him now with herbalism.  Yet, I still only give potions out to a small smattering of people.  There's just no way to collect enough of everything to make stacks of potions for the selling.  Good luck all you non-casters! 

Or if you're not a caster and you can't find any potions or varnishes to purchase, jjust make a con-based barbarian.  Even if you're dumb as a brick, for some reason you'll just constitution yourself into being the ultimate craftsman!  Alchemy, herbalism, metalworking (smelting anyway) and I think even leather working - all you need is the ability to eat day-old sushi without vomiting to be a champion!  And you get mega-hit points and more skill points than a fighter!  So if you're not going caster, go conbarian.

Speaking of which, 8 con (or 6 con elves) is the absolute hard-mode of PotM. You cannot do alchemy or brewing.

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2013, 12:13:43 AM »
As a scientist of science I must admit that I never use my 'con score' in anything I do.  It's mostly 'int' in setting up everything, and then 'dex' in execution.  Transfer pipettes do not require me to take a punch to the kidneys.  They require a steady hand in a sterile environment.  Conan would not make the best biochemist in the real world - in Ravenloft he'd have a Nobel prize in everything.
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2013, 05:29:55 AM »
In DnD constitution also determine skills such as concentration. I would probably prefer having it set up so that one ability is primary and one secondary though, but it'll take some work.

DangerousToGoAlone

• New to the Mists
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2013, 06:28:45 AM »

Speaking of which, 8 con (or 6 con elves) is the absolute hard-mode of PotM. You cannot do alchemy or brewing.

If your other stat is not a negative and 8 (or 6!), then it should still be doable, even if it is a bit harder.

My 8 wisdom elf does herbalism, she manages fine. Even though it had a rocky start :P
Anaya Firewind - Kagonesti Shaman
Vanessa Whitemantle - Revered Daughter of Paladine

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2013, 05:07:58 PM »
My 8con, 15wis cleric cannot brew.

If your other stat is not a negative and 8 (or 6!), then it should still be doable, even if it is a bit harder.

My 8 wisdom elf does herbalism, she manages fine. Even though it had a rocky start :P