Author Topic: sky high prices...  (Read 22898 times)

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
sky high prices...
« on: January 30, 2013, 06:43:55 PM »
Seems to have been something that had bugged out the prices.

At the vardo in mist camp, a scroll that normally had cost like 200 gold now all the sudden cost over 1000 gold.
This is just not one certain scrolls, but it goes for more or less all scrolls and potions as it seems, even other items to the prices have turned sky high on.

Sisters of hala in Port-a-Lucine use to charge like 150 gold for a brakskin potion. Now it cost over 700 gold.

Not checked if this is server wide but them locations i just mentioned seems to be effected of this.

// cheers.

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
Re: sky high prices...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 06:53:12 PM »
Correction on my post, is not certain about the items or scrolls yet, might have been my misstake... but the potion prices is rocket high.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 06:54:14 PM »
I know that Soren made a fix as part of the new herbalism developments that corrected something that under-priced potions. So it seems that before they were too cheap and now the new price is the "correct" price...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Kaspar

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 06:56:40 PM »
Yes bring on player economy! The demand for bark skin potions is at an all time high!

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »
This is not just the Barkskins, btw. One of the merchants' prices have gone up to 401 for a Barkskin and 601 for a Potion of Lore.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”

Mailbox0000

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 07:23:33 PM »
MY BARKSKIN!  :shock:

Badelaire

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 07:47:27 PM »
80 a potion was still kinda expensive considering how long they lasted and were an essential purchase for a character that doesn't have 9 spell circles to play with. At 400+ a pop, they're just too unmanageable. Practically unsustainable since any low to mid level melee that isn't faction supported, has a trading sponsor or can find a brewer will notice that lack of 3ac. Same could be said of the elevated prices, it just seems to increase the divide between long established characters with the means to do without or cover the increase in price and the newer ones who aren't so lucky.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 07:58:09 PM »
It's a deliberate move to encourage the herbalism economy and to discourage soloers.

The positive side is that they have introduced new common herbalism ingredients that produce barkskin potions. (The old Barkskin (12) potions have, I believe, been changed to "Greater Barkskin potions" and now have a different recipe too, but I haven't tested this out IC so don't take my word for it.) I've seen that new barkskin herb commonly sprouting from both forest and grass herb nodes so there will probably be an abundance of ingredients to create Barkskin (3) potions.

Personally I'm quite pleased with the new medium because it's really a coming together of a lot of good ideas. There was a bit of a debate amongst the Dev team and I'm very happy that constructive criticism has been taken on board. I think the current system wlll hopefully prove to be the right balance.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:00:09 PM by aprogressivist »

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 07:59:43 PM »
Also, moving this thread to the Systems forum since I'm fairly sure this is not a bug, but WAD. :)

Fierna

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 08:11:25 PM »
Found the new recipe for the barkskin potions, but does that mean the tree sap is no longer useful?

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 08:13:33 PM »
There's the Greater Barkskin for Barkskin (12) now, I think...

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 09:25:17 PM »
Prices on scrolls has shot up along with potions though.

Used be able buy invisibility scrolls at 230. now at 340

and exp retreat scrolls at 79. now 109

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 09:33:37 PM »
Probably the said fix in Outcast Rating not properly affecting prices.

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 09:36:18 PM »
Probably the said fix in Outcast Rating not properly affecting prices.

seems a bit odd for it to affect the black market

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 11:50:43 PM »
 discourage soloers??? You do know that most that actually do solo anything of worth here are casters and hardly make use of potions anyways.

It strikes far harder on the no caster classes then anything else, as they are in dire need of potions to get by at times.

It is what it is, but in Port-a-Lucine they charged like 150 gold for a barkskin before, now over 700, the increased price may in my opinion be a little to much.

Anyways, just what i think.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:52:47 PM by Metal_ash »

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 12:15:55 AM »
first of all sorry, but the urge to do this was to great and its a time of day that im to weak to resist, plus this topic needed some humor.

Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 02:32:42 AM »
discourage soloers??? You do know that most that actually do solo anything of worth here are casters and hardly make use of potions anyways.

It strikes far harder on the no caster classes then anything else, as they are in dire need of potions to get by at times.

It is what it is, but in Port-a-Lucine they charged like 150 gold for a barkskin before, now over 700, the increased price may in my opinion be a little to much.

Anyways, just what i think.

Some of the loots priceings have been altered too. For instance a fine paintaing may have the price of 180 and 450 gold pieces. Still not worth a potion, but at least it is something.

About the prices, well the only potion you could buy was usually barkskin potion nothing much else folks really bought. And that actually will not make the soloers be discouraged, since most soloers, actually just ninjaloot the place if possible, or if it is more worth it.
I think we will see more ninjalooting and less dungeon clearing.
For instance, my character has a number of places which he can clear, with the help of a barkskin potion, but also can ninjaloot.
Usually if i clear a dungeon i do it for alchemical reagents, and not xp, since i can barely kill anything that would give me xp, and it requires such an amount of potion and other consumables to be used up, that with the new potion priceing system it will be definetly not worth it, since i get meager xp, and the gold i would make from a run, would not suffice to replace the potions i have used up. (Especially with 700 per barkskin bottle.)
Allthough my character is in a special position in which he has major problems finding himself a party or getting anyone to help him to go to a dungeon.
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 06:26:13 AM »
Some of the potion prices definitely need looking at.  Potions like the commercial Potion of Elemental Warding were too expensive even before the potion change to justify the cost.  But... now...

Potion of Elemental Warding: 3002 coins, for one potion in Hazlan.  That's more than any scroll in the shop!

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 06:43:11 AM »
What OCR does your character have, out of interest?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 08:26:25 AM »
Concerning what I fixed about potion pricing:

The issue was that NWN had a modifier on potion costs so that they only cost 20% of any other item providing the exact same effect. A potion of barkskin would be cheaper than a scroll of barkskin - which makes very little sense, at least from a balance perspective. And compared to items like our essences of catatonia etc., potions would have the further benefit of weighting less and be stackable.

The second issue recently resolved revolved merchant and appraise/OCR. Due to our fairly low merchants' buying prices, I had at some point long ago lowered the maximum possible variation to 5% of total cost (can go in either direction). I realised though that that made the variation on merchants' selling prices quite diminutive, so I restored that to Bioware's default of 30%.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 08:33:15 AM »
Some of the potion prices definitely need looking at.  Potions like the commercial Potion of Elemental Warding were too expensive even before the potion change to justify the cost.  But... now...

Potion of Elemental Warding: 3002 coins, for one potion in Hazlan.  That's more than any scroll in the shop!

Just checked this - the issue is that for some reason, the spell used the level 10 version rather than  the level 3 version, even though, to my knowledge, there's no advantage of that.

That said, the Hazlan shop is an oversight altogether and generally violates our standards on what shops should sell. Once we expand the herbalism system to cover all domains, most potions there will probably have to go.

Badelaire

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 11:43:02 AM »
Looking through the mist vendor, some of the prices are beyond crazy. 9678 for an ankh of ptah?

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »
Looking through the mist vendor, some of the prices are beyond crazy. 9678 for an ankh of ptah?

Not really, that item was allways undervalued.
7 charges of FOM, beside all the bonuses it gives? I would say that was one of the most underpriced item, based on its usefullness.
Also it is not that hard to get that kind of money together.
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 02:06:12 PM »
...Ankh of Ptah is just +5 lore?
A most troublesome Fox.

Green Monster

• Undead Master
  • Nougat-pilfering cheese-cretin
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 02:22:16 PM »
It's a deliberate move to encourage the herbalism economy and to discourage soloers.

After spending so much time playing NWN Minecraft to gather herbs then brew them, I don't have time to stand around the outskirts selling potions. Most ppl I know craft potions for the use of themselves and their friends only. There's just not enough time to sell them as well unless being a full time merchant is what you want to do.
Sadie Halloway (nope, no giant graphic, sorry ;-P )