Author Topic: On the new Vallaki board quests  (Read 3740 times)

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
On the new Vallaki board quests
« on: January 29, 2013, 10:08:37 AM »
  I noticed the items for the bounty are found in areas that can be easly accessed. I'm talking only about the ones in the Market District sewers and the Warehouse sewers. Since the quests pop up quite often, I think it is too easy for low levels to get those items and rack up coin. I suggest either randomizing the location the item is found or moving it so people can actually team up and work together to find it.
Elena Vasilovici - "Better die for something than live for naught"

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
Re: On the new Vallaki board quests
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
Ah yes. Another "Make the server more hostile to new characters" thread.

A curious suggestion, but there're any number of ways for low levels to gather gold. This is one of the few that actually encourages them to go into hazardous areas.
A most troublesome Fox.

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 10:28:54 AM »
Honestly, there's little reward for low levels.  Especially levels 2 and 3.  These new quests are nice.

How about a bounty board for the Drain?  Like, for scavenging misc. items from the garbage throughout the server for a bit of coin.

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »
Honestly, there's little reward for low levels.  Especially levels 2 and 3.  These new quests are nice.

How about a bounty board for the Drain?  Like, for scavenging misc. items from the garbage throughout the server for a bit of coin.

I think that would actually be better. Players on the top-side have already enough ways to making coin.

Ah yes. Another "Make the server more hostile to new characters" thread.

A curious suggestion, but there're any number of ways for low levels to gather gold. This is one of the few that actually encourages them to go into hazardous areas.

Regarding that, with my level 2 I racked up 1000 coins in just two runs. Not counting for mink. And I didn't even bother too much. I think that is a little too much.

EDIT: I did that fighting just... 3 rats. That's not hostile
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:42:27 AM by ManticoreRO »

Mark Johansen

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 10:40:47 AM »
how about we change all the bountys to reflect the value of an barovian financial status?

YouLitABonfire

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 11:03:43 AM »
how about we change all the bountys to reflect the value of an barovian financial status?

This^.  on a sidenote i always wondered why a cargo loader makes more than a garda considering one job actually has the risk of death and/or dismemberment. just saying.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 11:17:10 AM »
rofl

"Here is your payment for this terg brooch you've found - 20 wolf-fangs, and.. erm, this pile of rat dung in my corner. Go to iadul, outlander!"

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 11:21:02 AM »
rofl

"Here is your payment for this terg brooch you've found - 20 wolf-fangs, and.. erm, this pile of rat dung in my corner. Go to iadul, outlander!"

<_<

You know, the reasonable alternative to that would be having multiple turn in points. 20 Fang in Barovia, but.... the University in Dementlieu might actually be interested in paying for nice antiquities.
: )

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 11:24:45 AM »
More uses for the University of Dementlieu, please.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 11:28:10 AM »
The locations are random.

I don't think it's unrealistic that a barovian noble would pay 250 wolf fang for recovering an item of strong affectional value.

Sure you are in the right topic?

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 11:36:20 AM »
Absolutely I am, as it pertains to bounty boards.  Perhaps I should have quoted Bahamut to clarify my point.

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 11:38:53 AM »
The locations are random.

I don't think it's unrealistic that a barovian noble would pay 250 wolf fang for recovering an item of strong affectional value.

Sure you are in the right topic?

Not sure they work as intended then. I found them in the exact place all the time. And I checked both in Market and Warehouse district.

Kendaric

• Undead Master
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 11:55:15 AM »
Regarding that, with my level 2 I racked up 1000 coins in just two runs. Not counting for mink. And I didn't even bother too much. I think that is a little too much.

EDIT: I did that fighting just... 3 rats. That's not hostile

The problem here is this... yes, old players with new alts already know what to do to make coin comparatively quickly. A new player, however, is in a different situation. And let's face it, 1000 fangs is basically nothing considering the cost of gear you need to acquire quickly just to be able to survive (unless you're a caster class).
A bit of useful stuff usually costs you around 4-6000 and that doesn't cover anything beyond good armor, a useful weapon (maybe two if you're lucky) and maybe an amulet of natural armor and/or a ring of protection (and you have to be pretty lucky to get the ring...)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 12:14:51 PM »
Not sure they work as intended then. I found them in the exact place all the time. And I checked both in Market and Warehouse district.

How many times did you manage to find them already? Does sound a bit odd.

Badelaire

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 12:22:15 PM »
Playing my archer I made and never touched like two NCW's ago, it's been incredibly hard making money as he's nowhere near as self reliant as my more usual powerbuildy PC's. Krofburg runs get incredibly tedious after the umpteenth time so more variation that doesn't involve dungeons is welcome indeed. I blow more than 1k trying to make my outfits look pretty.

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 01:00:49 PM »

How many times did you manage to find them already? Does sound a bit odd.

Twice already. Same items in the same place. Exactly same garbage heap for both items, although the items were different for the warehouse. I am pretty sure it wasn't coincidence.

So I found:
- the fine doll in the same garbage heap under market district, left side from big gate transition from slums district
- a necklace then a pearl (i think) in the warehouse district, all the way right side i think (as you enter the sewers from the werehouse district main sewer access gate).

Same spots.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 06:39:28 PM »
If they spawn in random locations I don't think finding these items in the same place twice is really indicative that the random script is not working as intended. Throw a die twice and there is still a chance you will roll six or any other number two times in a row as well. Will need to increase your sample size before we know if the script is working or not. ;)

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 08:48:51 PM »
Player creates new character. Player waits until squad of other low-level characters enter dungeon. Player tells group he has no interest in loot, only wants herbs. Offers his share of loot in excahnge for herbs. Player leaves crypts with 15-20 herbs. Player leaves, hops on Fire Bettle bandwagon. Asks only for herbs. 10-15 herbs. Come back, do gremiska cave. 10 herbs. Crypt has respawned, do crypt again. Another 15-20 herbs.
Do daylight run to VoB. 30 Herbs. Wait until daylight, come back. 30 herbs.

Enter Vallaki, offer high level alchemy troller herbs. Five hours of gameplay at MOST. Five thousand fang reward.

Congratulations, you just bought yourself the best set of craftable fullplate in the game with possibly enough left over for an enchanted longsword.

Is there a problem we aren't addressing?
Just another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks... PHD!

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 02:46:41 AM »
Please start a topic about the state of the economy if you wish to discuss that. Doing a forum search should reveal some former discussions on the matter though.

Besides being off topic, your example is flawed in that it takes a lot longer to become a herbalist capable to turn that amount of herbs into potions people would pay 5000 for.

And also, you wouldn't be able to enchant your armour until level 14 (and it'll take a lot more than 5k to have someone do it for you, considering the XP hit).

Besides that, my main worry with the current reward level for the quests this topic is actually about is that it'll attract higher level soloers. Time will tell, I figure, but I really encourage you to leave these quests to low. levels. In my own experience and according to what I hear from others, they do need that little boon these offer.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 02:52:28 AM »
If all it pays is 1k? for two runs... then no it wont attract high level soloers.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 02:30:39 PM »
I can do two Krofburg cargo runs for near on 1800.... Hardly think these new quests are that lucrative :P

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 08:02:20 PM »
Please start a topic about the state of the economy if you wish to discuss that. Doing a forum search should reveal some former discussions on the matter though.

Besides being off topic, your example is flawed in that it takes a lot longer to become a herbalist capable to turn that amount of herbs into potions people would pay 5000 for.

And also, you wouldn't be able to enchant your armour until level 14 (and it'll take a lot more than 5k to have someone do it for you, considering the XP hit).

Besides that, my main worry with the current reward level for the quests this topic is actually about is that it'll attract higher level soloers. Time will tell, I figure, but I really encourage you to leave these quests to low. levels. In my own experience and according to what I hear from others, they do need that little boon these offer.

The 5k i was referring to was not selling potions. Currently it's quite easy to find a herbalist willing to pay 1 - 1.5k for a single box of 30 herbs.

As for the enchanted armor, i didnt mention that. I meant craftable as in, steel full plate.

Off topic, perhaps. Economics all tie together and fixing the quests won't solve the issue that low-level characters simply have access to too much money.
Just another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks... PHD!

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 05:57:57 AM »
What you want do,tell low levels they can't pick herbs till lv 5? Or herbalist they can't pay
More then 500 a box?

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 11:23:31 AM »
The only reason why I've paid the "usual" for herbs is to avoid OOC disgruntlement.  This is despite the commonality of the mix.  Herbs are so common and since they don't weigh as much I don't see why I should pay for someone running around ahead of me hasted up and invisible getting them before I can get my hands on them.

Of course if its a specific trade for something I like or someone I like ICly, I'm going to be lenient about this.

Just like how I'm lenient toward < 5 appraise master negotiators with already plenty of money and will -later- use the it as leverage to gauge them for just about anything. >:D
Istavan Donner