You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Daze weapons...  (Read 3436 times)

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
Daze weapons...
« on: January 24, 2013, 04:35:11 PM »
Small question here.

Is there a certain reason why there all the sudden is such a influence on daze weapons on the server?

Shurikens, bolts, daggers, shortswords, spears, rapiers, kamas, just to mention some of them.

Even if i my self ain't that good to figure out new cool items for the server, it have to be something else to place in them weapons then daze on them all  :D

A few daze weapons i would not have noticed, but they are now popping up more or less all over the server.

Geiger

Re: Daze weapons...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 04:40:17 PM »
Noticed that a lot too.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 04:41:20 PM »
Because nobody has found the vorpal weapons yet.
: )

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:38:36 PM »
No real reason other than to add variety to those weapon types (we didn't have a whole lot of nonstandard darts, shurikens, etc.) and daze is a low-gp-cost property to add to items.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »
Am stealing this topic for a sec

I also noticed allot of +1 weapons, why add more of those while we have varnishes and casters ?
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 08:14:15 PM »

I also noticed allot of +1 weapons, why add more of those while we have varnishes and casters ?

Maybe it's to make casters less mandatory?

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 09:07:05 PM »

You do realize that varnishes and casters work on those +1 weapons, right? :P

Besides, people wanted to see more variety in the loot, and there's only so much you can do in the NWN toolset.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 09:40:20 PM »

Besides, people wanted to see more variety in the loot, and there's only so much you can do in the NWN toolset.

I don't.
That means a +1 sword with a magic weapon buff is a +2?

Don't get me wrong I love that you all make new items but isn't this all becoming more like the loot on other servers uhm I hate to use this sentence but its more magic then should be available in this setting ?

Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 09:56:14 PM »
Tsk tsk... Must we repeat, low magic does not mean weak magic.  ;)

Gilad Abrams

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 10:02:32 PM »

Don't get me wrong I love that you all make new items but isn't this all becoming more like the loot on other servers uhm I hate to use this sentence but its more magic then should be available in this setting ?

[/quote]

Quite you.  :twak:

In all seriousness though I think that it makes sense for a masterwork weapon to have a plus one to attack . It fits the setting more for someone to have a finely made sword capable of hurting something then everyone having to have a magical weapon to be effective.

Kaspar

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 10:24:16 PM »
I really won't start voicing objection until I start seeing +2's everywhere; and very common +1's with +'s to other damage with no negative effects on them. I think we're all okay until that happens. At mid to high levels everybody does dungeons with GMW anyway. The masterwork items are a benefit and aid to the low levels who have the option to choose between extra damage on a steel weapon, or an extra attack bonus point and dr piercing.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 11:50:14 PM »

I don't.
That means a +1 sword with a magic weapon buff is a +2?

I thought of that, too. While there wouldn't be a lot of native mages making magic items (although let's be honest, if you read the Ravenloft books and game products, there are tons of wizards running around, so the setting has never really been low magic anyway), but there's been lots of outlanders coming from other worlds and dying in Ravenloft horribly. So a lot of the magic items have "this item originates beyond the Mists, from the Outlander world of (insert name of other D&D world)" at the beginning of their descriptions.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 07:11:44 AM »
For heaven's sake, will you guys stop complaining about the loot not being the right kind of loot? Go here: http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=5772.0

:P

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 08:05:56 AM »
Was more a concern then a complaint to be honest.

Well maybe they are to common then the masterworks.  They are +1 without any drawback

Suppose I was surprised with how common and easily found they are.

Badelaire

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 08:43:06 AM »

Well maybe they are to common then the masterworks.  They are +1 without any drawback

Masterwork Weapons

A masterwork weapon is a finely crafted version of a normal weapon. Wielding it provides a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls.

You can’t add the masterwork quality to a weapon after it is created; it must be crafted as a masterwork weapon (see the Craft skill). The masterwork quality adds 300 gp to the cost of a normal weapon (or 6 gp to the cost of a single unit of ammunition). Adding the masterwork quality to a double weapon costs twice the normal increase (+600 gp).

Masterwork ammunition is damaged (effectively destroyed) when used. The enhancement bonus of masterwork ammunition does not stack with any enhancement bonus of the projectile weapon firing it.

All magic weapons are automatically considered to be of masterwork quality. The enhancement bonus granted by the masterwork quality doesn’t stack with the enhancement bonus provided by the weapon’s magic.

Even though some types of armor and shields can be used as weapons, you can’t create a masterwork version of such an item that confers an enhancement bonus on attack rolls. Instead, masterwork armor and shields have lessened armor check penalties.

You should grab a few Ravenloft adventure modules (which any google search will reveal many PDF's kicking about) and check the properties of a lot of the items within them. +1ab is tame in comparison and reflects a finely made weapon without flaw. On a server where there's 80 people at its peak times now, can't expect everyone to want to sit inside and chat about the weather because they can't damage anything. Ravenloft=adventures and intrigue afterall as well as the horror aspects.

Would be nice to see masterworking as an ability for smiths of X crafting level and limit the frequency MW gear is found in loot. I can imagine many people climbing over each other to find a smith able to masterwork steel weapons.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 09:06:34 AM »
Am saying they are to common.

Would be indeed nice to remove them from the loot table and add them to the craft table 

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 09:35:55 AM »
One of the issues is that NWN calculates damage resistance penetration based on attack bonus, so it's insufficient for a sword like, say, Hector's Kutter to be magical to pierce DR; it needs to have a +1 AB as well.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

What does the scanner see

• Outlander
  • Reclamation has begun
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 03:41:15 PM »

Masterwork Weapons

A masterwork weapon is a finely crafted version of a normal weapon. Wielding it provides a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls.

You can’t add the masterwork quality to a weapon after it is created; it must be crafted as a masterwork weapon (see the Craft skill). The masterwork quality adds 300 gp to the cost of a normal weapon (or 6 gp to the cost of a single unit of ammunition). Adding the masterwork quality to a double weapon costs twice the normal increase (+600 gp).

Masterwork ammunition is damaged (effectively destroyed) when used. The enhancement bonus of masterwork ammunition does not stack with any enhancement bonus of the projectile weapon firing it.

All magic weapons are automatically considered to be of masterwork quality. The enhancement bonus granted by the masterwork quality doesn’t stack with the enhancement bonus provided by the weapon’s magic.

Even though some types of armor and shields can be used as weapons, you can’t create a masterwork version of such an item that confers an enhancement bonus on attack rolls. Instead, masterwork armor and shields have lessened armor check penalties.

You should grab a few Ravenloft adventure modules (which any google search will reveal many PDF's kicking about) and check the properties of a lot of the items within them. +1ab is tame in comparison and reflects a finely made weapon without flaw. On a server where there's 80 people at its peak times now, can't expect everyone to want to sit inside and chat about the weather because they can't damage anything. Ravenloft=adventures and intrigue afterall as well as the horror aspects.

Would be nice to see masterworking as an ability for smiths of X crafting level and limit the frequency MW gear is found in loot. I can imagine many people climbing over each other to find a smith able to masterwork steel weapons.

That is a great idea. /Would probably be easy to script too. I think a 45-50 smithing level would probably be sufficient to make a masterwork steel weapon. It would also counter just how rare gilding it. We have like what? Two active gilders?
What does the scanner see? Into the head? Down into the heart? Does it see into me, into us? Clearly or darkly? I hope it sees clearly, because I can't any longer see into myself. I see only murk. I hope for everyone's sake the scanners do better.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 10:50:48 AM »
It's nice to see generic masterwork weapons of every type.  They've always been common, but only for certain weapon types (Falkovnian Talon Blade, longswords).

I don't think player smiths should be making masterwork weapons though.  Then we start having conflicting ideas on what's masterwork, what's steel, why can't my weapon be masterwork and steel, and certain weapons definitely benefit from stacking these effects more than others; the idea would also borderline encroach on enchantment territory.

Something that would be acceptable to me would be the use of lesser magical essences to enchant steel weapons with simple +1's, for something cheap like 1000 xp.  That would also help with the enchantment marketplace which is mostly monopolized at this point, giving new enchanters an easier place to start gaining craft experience.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:55:29 AM by Bad_Bud »

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 10:58:21 AM »
It's nice to see generic masterwork weapons of every type.  They've always been common, but only for certain weapon types (Falkovnian Talon Blade, longswords).

I don't think player smiths should be making masterwork weapons though.  Then we start having conflicting ideas on what's masterwork, what's steel, why can't my weapon be masterwork and steel, and certain weapons definitely benefit from stacking these effects more than others; the idea would also borderline encroach on enchantment territory.

Something that would be acceptable to me would be the use of lesser magical essences to enchant steel weapons with simple +1's, for something cheap like 1000 xp.  That would also help with the enchantment marketplace which is mostly monopolized at this point, giving new enchanters an easier place to start gaining craft experience.

+1

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Kaspar

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 11:06:02 AM »

+1

+2

I just don't want to see the ability to enchant any weapons beyond +2 >_>;