You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Pack Ox's  (Read 3111 times)

dark_majico

Pack Ox's
« on: January 20, 2013, 09:25:19 AM »
Is their anything that can be done to the pack oxes? I just tried to take a delivery to the fishing lodge and my ox ran half way across the map chasing a hostile deer running straight into the Deep forrest wolves getting us both killed with a pack full of cargo. I think the perception scripts are to blame.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:41:26 AM by dark_majico »

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
Re: Pack Ox's
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 12:15:56 PM »
Spamming the voiceset commands can help keep them under control, but if you've got one of the full voicesets it might get unbearable for people around you.
: )

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 12:18:01 PM »
Spamming the voiceset commands can help keep them under control, but if you've got one of the full voicesets it might get unbearable for people around you.

Just run with the WASD keys and use your mouse to right click the oxen's portrait and command follow.  Even if you have a full voice set, it does not spam it.

YouLitABonfire

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 12:19:46 PM »
Is their anything that can be done to the pack oxes? I just tried to take a delivery to the fishing lodge and my ox ran half way across the map chasing a hostile deer running straight into the Deep forrest wolves getting us both killed with a pack full of cargo. I think the perception scripts are to blame.

good times, good times. i mostly use the radial menu and select follow when the troublesome beasts get out of line. [yanks on the ox's lead rope]

dark_majico

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 12:22:48 PM »
I walked from Vallaki to the Fishing Lodge repeating the follow command with my mouse button at the start of every transition, but quite often it will ignore the command and attack something hostile in close range, or follow them command but then seconds later it will detect the same hostile creature and attack it again, if the perception scripts where cleared for the pack ox wouldn't it prevent that? It just so happened that my attention was distracted at the fishing lodge and that's when it ran after the deer, because it was out of voice range my follow me commands where ignored and I had to try to get near it to issue the command, that's when it ran into and then attacked a deep Forrest wolf which then turned its attention to me.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 12:43:14 PM »
Use stand ground before they think about charging a deer practicing his kung-fu on some giant wolves.
Istavan Donner

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 02:06:44 AM »
Oxen, being oxen (the animal for which Bull's Strength is named), should really have a lot more strength and constitution than they currently have.  Also, more levels wouldn't be terrible.  It's not like people use them as war-beasts - I don't even think I've ever seen one fight.  The whole point of them is to be used as beasts of burden to carry your iron or whatever, but they're made of tissue paper and can only carry what a moderately muscled warrior elf can carry.  Make them level 5-10, give them like 30 strength and highish con, badda boom.  Now your ox is useful, and it's still not game breaking.  

Maybe if they weren't such delicate fragile pansies people would even start taking them with them on trips to haul loot or potential dead bodies in a more in-character way than just carrying an arsenal/generalstore on their own back while hewing  hordes and hordes of vile nastiness.  And yes, having each townish-thing 'buy back' rented oxen and loan them out would make towns a lot more utilized.  When was the last time anyone went to Krezk?  How many people even know there IS a Krezk?

Also, it's oxen.  Not ox's or oxes or oxtopuses.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 02:09:49 AM by Smitehammer »
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 10:09:24 AM »
When you got an ox, you have to focus on it real hard:P
Actually no idea why but it is easier to direct it with animal empathy.
I have also seen an ox enter a fight with a deer. The deer was winning:)
The ox attacked the deer, deer hits back, Ox lost 5 hp and ran from the deer, whereas the deer kept chasing it, was hillarious!
Also I think that is only the Krezk outpost, not actually Krezk yet, if i am not mistaken.

And actually if you buff up the ox as it is suggested, then folks would use it as a meat shield. For 80 gold something that has like 50-80 hp, str, would be too good on lower levels as a shield to waste. I would actually think you would see them be used in battles, because 80 gold for a distraction is not much.
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 11:05:43 AM »
Krezk outpost Yes

I once did a delivery quest to kroftburg I encounters 7 dead oxen on the way there it was like a national geographic documentary. 

And the oxen made their way to their stable in kroftburg not many would make it as you see here the cats take them for lunch, watch closely how these magnificent. Cats ambush these poor beasts of burden.

I will call this documentary. The beasts with more burden then they can carry
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 01:09:50 PM »
Well then let people use them as a meat shield.  They are made od meat, after all.  Though their AC is atrocious and even with 80 hitpoints or whatever they'd be dead after a couple lucky crits.  Even if you are a wealthy lowbie completely inept at fighting, your best bet is not to bring some derpy cow as a bodyguard.  And if suddenly it could last more than one round against a deer... good?  There's a reason bullfighting is considered dangerous work.  Go piss off a bull.  I'll wait.

But yeah, more HP more strength.  And more places to rent/trade in.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 05:03:36 PM »
Pls no 80 hp oxen.
Istavan Donner

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 05:41:38 PM »
Also, it's oxen.  Not ox's or oxes or oxtopuses.
Also, apostrophes should never be used for plurals.

/pedant

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
apos whatus now?
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 07:47:42 PM »
In this case it wasn't for a plural, it was for the single word "oxen".  I suppose I should have put "oxen" in quotational bemarkations, though.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »
Interesting thing, My oxen attacked a hostile deer, which I killed to keep the ox under control. The ox then became hostile to me and ran away lol. Had to kill it and drag the supplies the rest of the way by hand.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 10:50:29 PM »
Yeah that happened once, just wait for it to time out and you can re-talk to it.
Istavan Donner

dark_majico

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 06:25:44 AM »
Also, it's oxen.  Not ox's or oxes or oxtopuses.
Also, apostrophes should never be used for plurals.

/pedant

Oh god the shame, I've been corrected by two Americans.  :facepalm:
Well then let people use them as a meat shield.  They are made od meat, after all.  Though their AC is atrocious and even with 80 hitpoints or whatever they'd be dead after a couple lucky crits.  Even if you are a wealthy lowbie completely inept at fighting, your best bet is not to bring some derpy cow as a bodyguard.  And if suddenly it could last more than one round against a deer... good?  There's a reason bullfighting is considered dangerous work.  Go piss off a bull.  I'll wait.

But yeah, more HP more strength.  And more places to rent/trade in.

For a moment I was all in favour of oxen being used in fights, but then I reconsidered, these are tamed animals they wouldn't run into a fight, they would run away from one. Cows will run away from you if you raise your arm too quickly. It did give me an idea though, perhaps we could buy trained war animals from a vendor? Not so much for pvp, but if there is ever a big event like a war or a guild battle, or invasion/raiding party, then it could be pretty sweet, so the magic fearing natives don't have to work with Conjurers.

YouLitABonfire

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 08:20:48 AM »

For a moment I was all in favour of oxen being used in fights, but then I reconsidered, these are tamed animals they wouldn't run into a fight, they would run away from one. Cows will run away from you if you raise your arm too quickly. It did give me an idea though, perhaps we could buy trained war animals from a vendor? Not so much for pvp, but if there is ever a big event like a war or a guild battle, or invasion/raiding party, then it could be pretty sweet, so the magic fearing natives don't have to work with Conjurers.
[/quote]

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 03:54:51 PM »
The amount of HP of a pack ox is too damn low.