Author Topic: Dead Magic Zones  (Read 1313 times)

dark_majico

Dead Magic Zones
« on: January 18, 2013, 06:51:43 PM »
How feasible would it be to incorporate dead magic zones, and anti magic fields into the module? I did a google search and didn't come up with any specific results for dead magic zones in Ravenloft, but I did see that there are wild magic zones, and a realm is ruled by a wild magic wizard, I'm not so concerned with wild magic, although it would be interesting, and a part of me does wonder if potentially it might be easier to implement? Dead magic zones are what really interests me though. Dead magic zones and anti magic fields could be a good edition to the module in my opinion even if we where to 'borrow them' a little, creating a new flavor to areas of the module where magic can't be relied on, and giving some much needed focus to none spell casting classes, and some great opportunity for some fantastic fish out of water role play for spell casters caught up in a zone. NPC's reportedly are impossible to nullify, but you wouldn't need to put any spell casting NPC's in a zone, or if you did they would need to be portraid as multi classed with melee classes, although spell like ability's are unaffected as they are natural, I'm sure some of these could be emulated in some way.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 06:57:08 PM by dark_majico »

Elfric

• Dark Power
Re: Dead Magic Zones
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 09:50:14 PM »
"Dead Magic Zones" for Ravenloft would be domains or pocket domains actually. Lamordia is a good example of a domain inherently hampering spell casters thanks to "The Smothering of Reason". I can't recall if its each year, or every few years the Domain itself increases spell failure by 1%. In the gazetteer's report, the domain was at 2% spell failure.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 02:07:23 AM »
The problem in having a magic dead zone that I can see is there would end up being monsters that have DR getting dropped in (unintentionally or intentionally) which then become nigh impossible to deal with by anyone who doesn't carry a ton of magical varnish and potions/consumables. If it would be an area crafted to have no DR/Magic Monsters then it could work.

On a side-note I've heard there is something similar to a wild magic zone in one of the mines in module.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 02:32:56 AM »
We've talked about it before and found out it would be incredibly resource-heavy (i.e. laggy) and decided not to pursue it.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002