Author Topic: Faction Gear, Faction Balance, and a few ideas.  (Read 13278 times)

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
Re: Faction Gear, Faction Balance, and a few ideas.
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2013, 09:23:33 PM »
One thing I'd personally like to see is alternatives to some of the Vardo gear pieces in the loot table. With the Vardo cape and Vardo boots there are counterparts, while with the Vardo gloves and +3 lockpick daggers there are not (No, the rogue gloves and +1 daggers are not comparable, all of those give just +1). I understand the point of having rogue gear for the rogue faction, it's otherwise hard to gear up a rogue. I don't think any other class is nearly as gear dependent.

I think this is the core of what this argument is about.  It does not matter if a faction hands out strong items to their dedicated members, but there should always be alternatives available in the loot table.  As powerful and wealthy a faction the RVT is, there should still be items they need to hunt down out in the wilds.  If nothing else, it gives them something to track down, or another opportunity to do business with other PC's who have found said items.

Most of RVT items have loot table alternatives, so it's not the biggest issue, but some simply don't have alternatives of comparable power.

the purpose and sole purpose of why the rvt exists is to track something down but only the elite among the elite of vardo ranks know why.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

RigorMortis

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2013, 12:39:09 AM »
It is strange that Vardo have all these different gifts available to them, Morninglordians have to search through the loot tables but they have all those objects as well why not do the same for the Vardo? (The only unattainable Morninglordian items being the Lightcarrier spear and Faction Armor)

For the MLian in tables;

- Hands of Dawn

- Rosey Rings of Dawn

- Rosey Beads of Dawn

- Sunray Lance

- Morninglordian Symbol

- Mantle of the Dawn

Whilst these seem to be Vardo exclusive? That hardly seems fair to me. Justifying these objects as "There are some Loot table items that are *close* does not seem a proper argument.

It is disconcerting that clerics of Non-Morninglordian faith have these Morninglord objects, even if they are dissrespectful to the faith. I've even had them waved in my face on my morninglordian as if I should immediatly stop IC arguments because the person who owns them has recieved "Divine intervention" via this item and thus they know more than me.

Perhaps adding a storage to each faction that allows we in the leadership positions to store objects that are meant to be given to other faction members, in my attempts to hold a festival I am constantly encumbered without a single storage facility besides spending an even larger amount of coin attempting to hold these objects for even a few days.

60% bags are a bit excessive, It allows the Vardo to effectivly monopolize due to the consistant access to these objects, They were placed in I believe as an intent to have your stereotypical 10 Str Rogue being able to carry all the merchandise. However this is ruled as moot since they have unlimited storage access at all times.

My Solution is to perhaps add some "Vardo" exclusive items into the loot tables, ICly this makes sense, Vardo members could fail missions, be slain or killed, and drop these objects easily. Just as the Morninglordian Objects are so available to obtain. My second suggestion is to have a storage implemented for those of us that have no form of it, as it is difficult as equally as a 10 Str Support Cleric, as it is for a 10 Str rogue (Perhaps even moreso if we need to carry our Full plate about). Even if it is only available for the upper members of the faction, it could really alleviate some of the encumberance on events attempting to be held.

Thank you,

Balorvale/RigorMortis.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 01:10:08 AM by RigorMortis »

YouLitABonfire

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2013, 01:57:17 AM »
Dogs for the Garda. perhaps a widget which allows them to summon one without all the npc's tweaking out or some other work around. Law Enforcement forces have employed the use of canines for centuries and really i don't see why the garda would be any different. just my two cents.

SwanSong

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2013, 06:01:16 AM »
I've already stated that the equipment currently available to the RVT membership (which is purchased, not handed over as soon as you walk in through the door)  is under review, we do tend to discuss the faction's direction IC and OOC with one another after all and have a dev who's open to suggestions regarding it as any dev would be if approached politely and without demands which I'm seeing here sadly. I would also like to point out that if I had a rogue within the RVT (I don't I have a bard who hardly benefits from all the faction equipment as do many other non-rogue members) I would not even bother wearing any besides the uniform on duty as I'd be on the prowl for the far more powerful items out there such as:

Woodsman's handaxe
True Wit
Sun Mace
Stalkers bows/crossbows
Shadowed armour
Dancer's silhouette
Rings of Silence
Cloak of Silence (not sure if this drops now though)
Greater mantle of the forest walker
Night Cloak
Desert cat belt
Wraith belt
Hector's wary treads
Abber moccasins.

All those items are far more powerful than RVT faction gear and out there waiting to be plucked. The faction's equipment is not even a patch on Ba'al Verzi (+1ac, +4 to stealth skills armours, +1 keen daggers, etc) and Gundarakite rebel equipment (more high stealth equipment) and yet there's no mention of it. Factions gain perks, they're also under a lot more scrutiny and held to account more for their actions. I wouldn't complain just because each represented faith has several churches, temples, sanctuaries and refuges across the server or that they gain free heals or that an Ezrite would choose not to aid my character because they're not of the same faith. Life isn't fair, even more so in the demi-plane.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 06:04:17 AM by SwanSong »

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2013, 08:15:12 AM »
It's little use to list public buildings and services as benefits of being in a faction, while they're accessible by everyone anyhow.
It's also no use to name which items aren't as powerful as some of the best gear in-game or argueing off-topic which factions have even more going for them.

I don't think that was the point of the OP, at all, and is merely just another squabble people imagined to read or brought up after, unrelated from the OP.
All I think the original poster ment to say was "Wait a minute, isn't all of this -together- a bit too much? Maybe even unbalanced." mainly in regards to items.

This isn't somekind of silly impossible strive for complete equality between factions or even aimed at just the Red Vardo, so it'd be constructive if people stopped reading this topic as if it was. And start to actually bring up points like Norture did, about which items are probably a tad too much or need an in-game equivelant. Or which factions have unfair / underwhelming opportunities for items, such as possibly the Garda uniform.
Looking at it from another angle, it might make sense for some items to be -slightly- better than what the public can find. Like the Bal'al Verzi uniform or such. But it shouldn't be the case that one faction gets a buttload of features, attention, items and (faction only) locations / services while other equally old factions don't even have half of it. I think that's more or less what the OP tried to get across... some factions need a bit of love?

So let's stop mentioning buildings that aren't even faction owned, but public domain, or discussing average / flavour items that aren't the point of discussion.
(Unless it actually reflects back on the OP and the balance between factions, but most posts seem to be comparing sizes. Save it for the lockerroom?)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:21:07 AM by Grimson »

Geiger

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2013, 08:20:13 AM »
Grimson is on the mark.

Also - please calm down guys. Talk, be calm, and lets all be willing to understand that we might not know everything.

SwanSong

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
we might not know everything.

Hence why I bring up the fact we, at least in the RVT, discuss this stuff ourselves. We make a post in a specific thread we have regarding such things and a DM/Dev gets back to us with some feedback on the matter and we take it from there. We don't feel the need to put it open to public debate or comparison to what faction A has that faction B doesn't, it's simply an in-house thing we police ourselves. Things like this take time out of the day of someone's life to sort out. Be a little sympathetic to the ones who who work the toolset in order to create and balance things for the community, it takes a while to implement change. I only mention this from the RVT's viewpoint because, despite what's stated, RVT gear is referred to in damn near every reply.

Geiger

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
I have noted that. It is why I have tried to steer it towards more dynamic factions. There is apparently a lot of community feeling on the topic though. I appreciate your attempts to clarify in this thread. :)

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2013, 09:49:35 AM »
That's good, nice to hear the Red Vardo shows initiative to reflect upon their own faction.
But some people did feel the need to bring it up the topic of factions more publicly as well.
And with "it" I do not mean the e-peen comparing of factions, but the possible lack of mechanical balance between them or even between a faction's equipment and that available in the rest of the in-game world. Or "it" as in.. simply general feedback to possibly improve existing items, uniforms, balance, features, etc. even further. And then mostly the strengthening of weaker factions, not the taking away of existing things, imo.

This is a general feedback section. And the original poster constructively voiced his feedback.
Yet everyone is still treating this as somekind of hostile personal assault on factions (whether a specific one or factions in general) or even an impolite offensive that disregards / disrespects the work the staff has already put into the factions, while it's really none of those things, at all. It's a constructive, polite and (at least by the OP) seemingly unbiased minor point(s) being raised. I think that's all there is to it.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing some additional love going towards the garda in the form of expanding their armoury. I don't think it's vital though.
And the idea of having better +lockpick items outside of the Vardo seems reasonable, maybe not +3, but +2? An in between that would make sense.
I also -like- the idea of the Vardo having multiple fronts / shops. Maybe the Wayfarer's or so should get an additional small outpost in the woods?
(Also note that I am not involved in any of these factions currently. And I prefer seeing public things added that don't benefit only the faction itself.)

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2013, 10:18:13 AM »

For the MLian in tables;

- Hands of Dawn

- Rosey Rings of Dawn

- Rosey Beads of Dawn

- Sunray Lance

- Morninglordian Symbol

- Mantle of the Dawn

There is a shield of Dawn(i think that is its name)
and also the Mace of the Sun. (Morninglordian item)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Zhernebog

• Undead Master
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2013, 12:11:48 PM »
the possible lack of mechanical balance between them or even between a faction's equipment and that available in the rest of the in-game world. Or "it" as in.. simply general feedback to possibly improve existing items, uniforms, balance, features, etc. even further. And then mostly the strengthening of weaker factions, not the taking away of existing things, imo.
I think these two key points are probably the most important. I don't think anyone wants to take away items or special attention or any quantifiable neat stuff.
But we do have to say that if a faction(even in the past) received specific gear that outranks the highest possible drop, then we have an issue. And it's an incredibly easy solution that's already been stated:
Just add equal equivalents to crafting or drops. Nobody loses anything, and nobody HAS to join a faction to have the best stuff.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing some additional love going towards the garda in the form of expanding their armoury. I don't think it's vital though.
And the idea of having better +lockpick items outside of the Vardo seems reasonable, maybe not +3, but +2? An in between that would make sense.
There's really no reason to not just make equal items available. Nobody loses anything and the server is truly given the choice of joining a faction or not. As of now it's moreso like the best items are held at ransom.
Though, I have seen the vardo selling out 60% bags, which is fantastic, and a great way to share the love.
That being said, just add all the silly things to the drop/craft tables. Everybody gets their cake and can eat it too.

Geiger

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2013, 12:22:56 PM »
Another interesting idea, too, to consider might be having it so most gear for a faction must be crafted from special in-house templates. Though this doesn't entirely come without problems consider a faction would then need crafters it may not otherwise have... but could give incentive to recruiting. Hahah.

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2013, 12:27:34 PM »
Another interesting idea, too, to consider might be having it so most gear for a faction must be crafted from special in-house templates. Though this doesn't entirely come without problems consider a faction would then need crafters it may not otherwise have... but could give incentive to recruiting. Hahah.

This is a crazy cool idea, since instead of handouts at any point, the templates could be made available so that with some work the factions could implement them for their members.  It would proportion the equipped strength of a faction to player involvement and drive of it's members.

Misted_Horror

• Undead Master
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2013, 02:24:24 PM »
The RVT used to look after its own crafts, or would outsource. RP attempts at this thing have already been done. Also note that several people participating in DM events receive far better loot than anything that drops on the loot tables. There are relatively new PCs as well (they were created after I started). Also note, the RVT has been selling 60% bags for -ages-. No one wants to buy them, and the 60% bags can already be found in dungeons, yet again proving your point wrong. All I want to say is actually experience what is out there completely in the loot tables, and the RVT items look like absolute garbage in comparison. Everyone bitches and moans about items, yet hasn't taken the time to get an enchanted counter-part of the items available. There -are- better items, why do you think you don't see everyone in generic garb #1000 selling things? Again, if the focus isn't on the RVT, please, remind me why pretty much every post has always been related back to it, whoopdy-do, they have +3 lock picks. Whats that, you want a high quality lock broken open *gasp* why not -RP- the same thing we are demanding of the RVT and hire them for a job?

A fair amount of hypocrisy going around here. Seriously.

EDIT: Also worth noting new high-end dungeons are being made/tweaked. Wait and see what goodies drop in those before you continue to cling to pre-conceived notions about how OP faction gear is.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:31:59 PM by Misted_Horror »

Kaspar

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2013, 02:34:04 PM »
Also note, the RVT has been selling 60% bags for -ages-. No one wants to buy them

I just bought 20.  :D

Geiger

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2013, 02:42:26 PM »
Ah man, buddy, calm down.

That hasn't been the point of thread. Stated day one. I want people to discuss factions in here, what could be improved, and all that jazz. On all of them. I note there are people here that have been bringing the RVT up, but I have seen a few clarifying posts. There is no need to become explosive, or point fingers and name names. Accusing people of being unknowing or nooby. I am very aware of enchanted goods - I am an enchanter. I think that has its own thread, it's own discussion on its place on the server, or what things we can look at for it.

Also It would be nice if the Vardo do offer these locksmithing services, to advertise them somewhere. I haven't seen this anywhere, though again, this does not mean it isn't happening.

It is better to talk these things out calmly.

-------

Remember guys, when posting, think things out and try to structure them calmly. We're buddies here.

Misted_Horror

• Undead Master
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2013, 02:44:46 PM »
The Vardo always offers these kinds of services, but they're not going to just advertise them. Once more, rumours have it that the RVT can find anything you need, and are rumoured to dabble in the ways of the supernatural to get it. Apologies Geig, but the majority of people do not seem to understand that compared to any semi-decent loot on the server that faction gear isn't that great.

Zhernebog

• Undead Master
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »
The RVT used to look after its own crafts, or would outsource. RP attempts at this thing have already been done. Also note that several people participating in DM events receive far better loot than anything that drops on the loot tables. There are relatively new PCs as well (they were created after I started). Also note, the RVT has been selling 60% bags for -ages-. No one wants to buy them, and the 60% bags can already be found in dungeons, yet again proving your point wrong. All I want to say is actually experience what is out there completely in the loot tables, and the RVT items look like absolute garbage in comparison. Everyone bitches and moans about items, yet hasn't taken the time to get an enchanted counter-part of the items available. There -are- better items, why do you think you don't see everyone in generic garb #1000 selling things? Again, if the focus isn't on the RVT, please, remind me why pretty much every post has always been related back to it, whoopdy-do, they have +3 lock picks. Whats that, you want a high quality lock broken open *gasp* why not -RP- the same thing we are demanding of the RVT and hire them for a job?

A fair amount of hypocrisy going around here. Seriously.

EDIT: Also worth noting new high-end dungeons are being made/tweaked. Wait and see what goodies drop in those before you continue to cling to pre-conceived notions about how OP faction gear is.

Your tone is rather rude and infantile, you may wish to cool off before posting a rant that needs to insult the reader to get a point across :b It's a video game no need to get your jimmies rustled.
Also you never address how the faction would cease to exist if other people had access to equivalent gear. And 60% bags do drop? My they must be quite the treasure if Ive never seen one for sale. Praytell where do they drop? And why is it so staggeringly enraging to share the fun? Everybody likes fun.

Second, I think it's great that the dev team is making new content(especially high end stuff) but much like my mountain made out of dragons that breathe hookers, it doesn't exist yet, and we're talking about what exists now.

Third Im faction enemy with the vardo. I can't hire you sneakthiefs unless youre ridiculously gullible hahaha

Misted_Horror

• Undead Master
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2013, 02:55:52 PM »
Again, it's where IC has IC consequences. I know my tone is rather rude, but having several different people explain the same thing over and over can have that effect. Also, they can have access to equivalent gear, go out and dungeon/ninja like the rest of us have to. I think it's worth noting that the RVT gear seldom gets handed out, I mean I got a nifty sword, but compared to what drops on the loot-tables, it's on-par if not a little worse. I'd also like to point out that the reason most people don't see decent loot is that they farm areas that are at 30% spawn level, and everyone farms it, even if it's at 1% so it never builds up. If people farmed less, and dungeoned every now and then, everyone would have a lot of good loot. Also note, some factions have nice gear that the RVT doesn't have access to for sneaks, does that mean that the RVT should get access to it? The Gundarakites have some nifty hide gear, does that mean that everyone should get access to those? The Dawnbringers have a nifty spear at low levels, yet the only places that they drop are at level 5-6 areas.

Also worth noting I am not a member of the RVT any more. I'm just viewing my own opinions here. Several factions have nice things, and until everything is spayed out in to the loot tables, I see no reason for any specific faction to need them. Also note that more often than not the RVT employees aren't goons, there is also nothing saying that you can't ask a DM to posess an NPC so that you can mug it if you know it is in the RVT. There are many IG alternatives to things, and getting most of them is far easier than dungeon farming/ninja'ing if you're actually interested in the RP.

I think the main thing also is that many people don't have 'strong' builds to excel at the field that their character supposedly excels at. +8-+12 lockpicks drop like candy in the PoA sewers, below the Oprhanage in Barovia (past the hag) and in many other places. If you look about a few places and sample the seemingly random loot, you can typically tell based off of loot content what loot containers belong to what sub-category eg (Minor, Medium, Major) and then the other categories the devs have in place for items with uses, etc, etc. I just wish to stress the fact that faction gear should be irrelevant imo, as most of it is trash compared to loot you can obtain at level 8 if you form a well-rounded group.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2013, 03:02:24 PM »
Once it was 1.5k a bag now its 2k or more.
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2013, 03:49:43 PM »

As far as I know it's always been 2k. Jinx charged less because Jinx, but before then (and in everything I saw written from before I joined) it was 2k.

I think the baffling thing about this thread is the insane gear people are asking for their faction. I mean, really clerics? You guys can faceroll and win the game. Rogues are based around how much they can boost their skills, they are hands down the most gear-reliant class. It costs around 200k to gear out a rogue. Valkan's boots cost me over 100k alone. Vardo gear isn't best-in-slot equipment for most things, but it offers a starting point for rogues. It just makes sense to me that a faction would supply the tools for its members to be able to succeed at what the faction is supposed to be about.

Like, let's stop talking about the Vardo for a moment. If other factions could have skills on their gear, since that's what this is about-- Skill points on gear, what would those skills be? For cleric factions, would +3 healing and concentration suddenly make your gear more awesome?

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2013, 03:59:02 PM »
60pct bags drop all the time, usualy the ones I sell..are the ones I found.

Misted_Horror

• Undead Master
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2013, 04:22:55 PM »

As far as I know it's always been 2k. Jinx charged less because Jinx, but before then (and in everything I saw written from before I joined) it was 2k.

I think the baffling thing about this thread is the insane gear people are asking for their faction. I mean, really clerics? You guys can faceroll and win the game. Rogues are based around how much they can boost their skills, they are hands down the most gear-reliant class. It costs around 200k to gear out a rogue. Valkan's boots cost me over 100k alone. Vardo gear isn't best-in-slot equipment for most things, but it offers a starting point for rogues. It just makes sense to me that a faction would supply the tools for its members to be able to succeed at what the faction is supposed to be about.

Like, let's stop talking about the Vardo for a moment. If other factions could have skills on their gear, since that's what this is about-- Skill points on gear, what would those skills be? For cleric factions, would +3 healing and concentration suddenly make your gear more awesome?

I'd agree with things like that.

Geiger

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2013, 04:25:53 PM »
Rogues are not that gimped as people say. Gearwise their most important stuff is located outside factions. Hide and move silently stuff can be got everywhere. The Vardo do contain a boon however where no items for rogues actually exist. Lock picking and pick pocket. No where else can you get this bonus, nothing of even compare. A rogue should not have to join the Vardo to get that gear, to have that ability. But this isn't so much anyone's fault. Doesn't make Vardo cheesy or anything.

But this is why I argue that faction gear should be limited. There is nothing wrong for any faction to have a slight bonus. I understand the Vardo are structured around theft. I know how they are represented in the canon and I am aware that they have had a soft boom on our server that has given them a territorial expansion outside of the native Krezk. They aren't that big or powerful of an organization - especially in comparison to something like the Ezrite Church who receives a tithe (and this is just from tithes) of 10 copper, per annum, and have had this happen for over ninety years.

Though it is limited in some ways with the faction itself really being like 4, who work towards the same goal in different ways.

Or the Vallaki Garda who while being a feudal military-police of a Municipality and a regional militia for Barovia itself are so under equipped and are geared with stuff that makes steel crafted goods look like a +5 sword. I am sure the Ioneluses are going to have anyone outside of wartime conscripts equipped at least with steel tipped spears.

The gear and boons of factions should be about the same. I'm not saying they shouldn't have something that is key, or representative of their faction.

A sweet ass lock pick for the vardo.

A spear that aids the Morninglordians in battle against the dead.

A symbol or relic based around whatever sect of Ezra one comes from.

Free room and board, as well as training and "job opportunities" with advancement for some smelly Barovian peasant or foppish Dementlieuse Gendarme in the "police forces" around the world.

Stuff like that.

Gear and uniforms should be up to the players who run and police their factions outside of that, barring guidance from staff in times of silly-willy that I doubt would come up often, if at all. What a faction has should primarily be what the players put into it. I can see what players already can do - I have been and am involved in the community. I am part of factions. I have ran them before. But I really would rather see dynamics placed into what we put into a faction giving us our power and force.

I bring up other ideas too that could be interesting and not impossible to develop outside basic scripting. The ability to update our locks by paying into them, or upgrading npcs that show up in faction halls could be another interesting thing.

Increased garda patrols in areas where they should happen that keep the roads clear of bandits or monsters, extra fences for hot goods for Vardo, parishioners for Ezrites and Morninglordians, and so on and so forth. These would show up and go away with activity in a faction and their ability to 'pay for it'. This could also be influenced by DM plots.

But the goal is to make it so players rely on eachother, their work, and what they pay into it.

But that is me. That is what I think is cool.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:35:18 PM by Geiger »

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2013, 04:46:02 PM »

no am talking PRE jinx   and i am talking about the vallaki branch.

also youre right about the other skill points.

people already discussed a dog house in the guard faction board but i forgot the outcome  i think its low on the list or wasnt dooable.