Author Topic: Feint  (Read 11853 times)

What does the scanner see

• Outlander
  • Reclamation has begun
Re: Feint
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 05:13:36 AM »
There is a difference between tanking and alt-tanking. An Alt-Tank (Jinx) CAN tank, but not as good as a real tank who has the HP to back it (Senies).
First off this is called off-tank. It's because it's on the off chance the tank needs help, you need to step up.
Second rogues are ridiculously powerful on this server. They can easily exist on another plane of existence if they just put points into hide/move silent around people who didn't put enough points into spot/listen(Aka:Warriors), without rping. On this plane they can level for free by following people around without rping once, easily steal items off people(Again, with no downside or rp) and basically might as well not exist outside of having benefits.
With the amount of ways rogues can gain access to sneak attacks, and rehiding, giving them more advantage would be laughably irresponsible.

Rogues make craptastic tanks against equivalent level targets. They make holes in people and exist in alternate dimensions.
A high ac isn't reliable if any enemy has access to magic missile or an extended critical range.

Exactly. A pure class rogue doesn't have the HP to keep up with a real tank. They take one straight Missile Storm or an empowered Flame Arrow (One of the best spell in the game) and they will be hurting. Buff a pure rogue and a pure barbarian and see who does the job better. Rogues are fine as they are, just -play- them like they are supposed to be played.

And I prefer the term "alt-tanks", both are right. Let's not argue semantics.

Giving them MORE abilities would just tip the balance on this server more than it already is. Give the damn fighters something. Like adding the Armor Spec and Greater Weapon Focus/Spec feats. That would fix everything...except Rangers. Rangers are a damn lost cause in 3.0.
What does the scanner see? Into the head? Down into the heart? Does it see into me, into us? Clearly or darkly? I hope it sees clearly, because I can't any longer see into myself. I see only murk. I hope for everyone's sake the scanners do better.

Ehver

• Dark Lord
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 06:49:38 AM »
This would definitely require something to prevent you from spamming it.  This also raises the tricky question of what counters the bluff check, as we don't have PnP's Sense Motive.

Why is this?

I found it really odd that this is not included in the list of skills... what exactly are we supposed to roll to counter influence (when it counts towards bluffing)?

Kind of off topic though, sorry. : O
Ilinca Cristescu - Urban Witch
Player Faction: The Mistraiders

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 09:35:27 AM »

Just in general

Fen'lo Taaran

• Outlander
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 09:48:03 AM »
A rogue built for PvP cleans house. Time-stop + Shapechange. GG sneak attacks, and an STR based Dragon-Rogue owning your flat-footed ass. Include a haste, and a bulls str. Also note that even without those things, they are -the- strongest. You can get rediculous AC, and still -really- good AB if you know how to buff/use consumables. Damage is no concern either, you can pop most PvP targets in under a round, PvM just requires some tactics and they are the strongest. People also forget about corner-sneaking, darkvision/darkness ganking, etc, etc. Saw a mage casting ice storm on a Vallaki garda not too long ago, collected the bounty by dropping them in one hit with an SA. Not too hard to do, if I say so myself. Also note rogues can get upwards of 68-70 Hide/MS here. Only mage/druids/clerics/rogues with listen/spot gear will detect them.

• Outlander
  • Reclamation has begun
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 03:15:40 PM »
A rogue built for PvP cleans house. Time-stop + Shapechange. GG sneak attacks, and an STR based Dragon-Rogue owning your flat-footed ass. Include a haste, and a bulls str. Also note that even without those things, they are -the- strongest. You can get rediculous AC, and still -really- good AB if you know how to buff/use consumables. Damage is no concern either, you can pop most PvP targets in under a round, PvM just requires some tactics and they are the strongest. People also forget about corner-sneaking, darkvision/darkness ganking, etc, etc. Saw a mage casting ice storm on a Vallaki garda not too long ago, collected the bounty by dropping them in one hit with an SA. Not too hard to do, if I say so myself. Also note rogues can get upwards of 68-70 Hide/MS here. Only mage/druids/clerics/rogues with listen/spot gear will detect them.

So now we're talking about cheap tactics now? And yes, rogues can one-round a mage. So can Bards.

What does the scanner see? Into the head? Down into the heart? Does it see into me, into us? Clearly or darkly? I hope it sees clearly, because I can't any longer see into myself. I see only murk. I hope for everyone's sake the scanners do better.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 03:37:45 PM »
Surely by definition cheap tactics are a smart Rogue's stock-in-trade...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 05:35:51 PM »
Indeed! Rogues are supposed to use cheap tactics and such! It's generally who they are. But yeah, in an attempt to nudge this back toward the topic, I like the idea of a feint feat. Perhaps it could replace dirty fighting? Which as discussed, no one seems to really use. This may be just me, but I hardly am able to use knockdown successfully with my rogue. Sure, I don't have improved, but still; it's rather rare to pull off. Doesn't knockdown give bonuses for larger races, and using larger weapons? If that's the case, knockdown isn't really good for an all inclusive special combat move feat for rogues. We're often smaller races, and often use light weapons. We don't get those large bonuses. So keeping that in mind, I could envision a Feint feat having bonuses to light weapons.

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 06:04:57 PM »
Indeed! Rogues are supposed to use cheap tactics and such! It's generally who they are. But yeah, in an attempt to nudge this back toward the topic, I like the idea of a feint feat. Perhaps it could replace dirty fighting? Which as discussed, no one seems to really use. This may be just me, but I hardly am able to use knockdown successfully with my rogue. Sure, I don't have improved, but still; it's rather rare to pull off. Doesn't knockdown give bonuses for larger races, and using larger weapons? If that's the case, knockdown isn't really good for an all inclusive special combat move feat for rogues. We're often smaller races, and often use light weapons. We don't get those large bonuses. So keeping that in mind, I could envision a Feint feat having bonuses to light weapons.

Thank you! thank you!

This man has it totally right...

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 07:12:38 PM »

Large races get a bonus to knockdown, the size of the weapon doesn't matter.
However, Disarm bonuses are dependent on weapon size.
Despite my argument against rogues being weak, I do approve of more fears! ;D

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 07:17:36 PM »

So now we're talking about cheap tactics now? And yes, rogues can one-round a mage. So can Bards.

It's funny cause you took him seriously.

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 08:07:15 PM »
Anyone who says that rogues are weak straight up doesn't understand how rogues work in nwn, I'm sorry.

If you want to perform a feint in PotM, then circle around the tank you have with you so that the enemies retarget onto them.  Then step back in and do some more sneak attacks.  Is it perfect? No.  Does it work Solo? No.*  However, it requires no Dev work, and gives almost the same result in most situations. (Rogue misses a round of attacks, and starts doing sneak attacks again)

*The server is not balanced for solo play, so I doubt the devs would implement something that is basically only helps with solo play.  Also, rogues have plenty of ways to get sneak attacks even when solo.

P.S.
Nitpick:
Max level rogues get 10d6 sneak damage, not 9d6.  Average damage for a d6 is 3.5, not 3.  35 bonus damage per attack is a lot. :'(

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 08:12:40 PM »
Works against the AI, doomed against PCs.
A most troublesome Fox.

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 09:55:42 PM »
Works against the AI, doomed against PCs.

Rogues are PVP monsters.  Against PC's, you can use stealth/bottle black/UMD/traps/what have you to get the jump on someone.  If you really have no way to get your sneak attack against a PC, then you probably deserve to be beaten.  :lol:

• Outlander
  • Reclamation has begun
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2013, 11:24:58 PM »

Knockdown only gives a bonus if you are large sized, which none of the player races in NWN are. You get no bonus for using a larger weapon. It's just a strength check. You then get the +4 to that by taking Improved.

Zhernebog

• Undead Master
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 12:46:44 AM »
scrolls of timestop=bad game balance

The Prophet of Misinformation

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 01:03:54 AM »
The wizard that is assassinated by the rogue will cry "OVERPOWERED!"

The rogue that is time stomped by the wizard will ask, "The hell was that?"
"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts in the hour of danger."
~Andrew Jackson

Zhernebog

• Undead Master
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 01:34:10 AM »
The fighter that gets dicked by both:
I'm quitting this server.

• Outlander
  • Reclamation has begun
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 01:57:17 AM »
The Wizard who gets Imp Knockdown spammed: *Tantrum*.

RigorMortis

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 02:47:20 AM »
Let's not turn this into a play on "WHICH CLASS IZ BETTUR!?" "NERF DAT GUY!" It seems he wants this new combat variable to be added to spice things up, not give a supreme advantage to one class. Feinting sounds like a fun concept that could really create a new dynamic in combat besides just clicking on your target and hoping to role high, It's not for the want of sheer power, but for diversity as well.

Zhernebog

• Undead Master
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2013, 03:19:26 AM »
Unfortunately we have a community who cannot be trusted with barrels of monkeys, much less new maneuvers that are easily abusable.
It'd be different if the move was a lateral direction and offered a debilitating downside to offset the amazing god powers granted by it then we could talk, unfortunately we live on neckbeard island where we can't be trusted to do anything outside the box, and for good reason. Especially with rogues.

• Outlander
  • Reclamation has begun
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2013, 04:26:08 AM »
Okay, then let's get this topic back on track. Why is a feint option a bad idea?

1) New ability that has to be scripted. The server has enough unique scripts as is.

2) Another ability given to one or two specific classes.

3) It would be opposed by a skill which the majority of classes do not have access too. Unless we bend things a little and make it opposed by Concentration.

4) It would be a one round ability in which the animation triggers, thus leaving the rogue flat footed for that one round and less attacks going out from your character. (Similar to taunt)

5) At first implementation this would be riddled with glitches and there are enough bugs that need to be fixed as is.

6) It would ultimately give rogues ONE extra sneak attack. You can get sneak attack enough ways already.

7) We have taunt which can nerf an opponents AC by a maximum of 6 points. That is pretty potent already and pretty 'rouge-ish'. What's more Han Solo than talking smack in a brawl?

8) This would probably require new feats and items and the server has enough of those already.

9) Very open to abuse and as Zhernebog pointed out already, the players can't be trusted with the catfish and monkey barrels, so why give them something else?

Now, why would it be a good idea?

1) Another option.

2) I've seen feint do some pretty devastating things in the hands of high charisma and strength based rogues in my Dungeons and Dragons games.

3) It would be something new and unique that has not been done on other servers.

4) It would make Improved Initiative even more useless than it already is. (Has anyone ever taken that feat in NWN history?)

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2013, 02:08:01 PM »
Okay, then let's get this topic back on track. Why is a feint option a bad idea?

1) New ability that has to be scripted. The server has enough unique scripts as is.

3) It would be opposed by a skill which the majority of classes do not have access too. Unless we bend things a little and make it opposed by Concentration.

4) It would be a one round ability in which the animation triggers, thus leaving the rogue flat footed for that one round and less attacks going out from your character. (Similar to taunt)

5) At first implementation this would be riddled with glitches and there are enough bugs that need to be fixed as is.

6) It would ultimately give rogues ONE extra sneak attack. You can get sneak attack enough ways already.

7) We have taunt which can nerf an opponents AC by a maximum of 6 points. That is pretty potent already and pretty 'rouge-ish'. What's more Han Solo than talking smack in a brawl?

8) This would probably require new feats and items and the server has enough of those already.

9) Very open to abuse and as Zhernebog pointed out already, the players can't be trusted with the catfish and monkey barrels, so why give them something else?

1) Another option.

2) I've seen feint do some pretty devastating things in the hands of high charisma and strength based rogues in my Dungeons and Dragons games.

3) It would be something new and unique that has not been done on other servers.

4) It would make Improved Initiative even more useless than it already is. (Has anyone ever taken that feat in NWN history?)

I'm going to try and not be rude... okay can't do it.

yep sinking as low as to use an image macro.

Okay your first two reasons listed is basically random  crap to be contrary, no offense but it's true. The server has added useless stuff I never see anyone use including Warding Gesture. So you reason of "It's another thing to add" is weak because that's just to say "I wouldn't want to be bothered with the work to add in a script". Which is funny cause i'm not even  sure you would even be the one adding the script to the module, so what difference does the labor make to you?

The ability is a skill, so it's open to all classes (herp). Not only can rogue make use of this along with bard (who can sort of make use of this) but you have black guard and CoTs who can certainly also make use of this.

Concentration wouldn't make sense. At all. Also not everyone has access to the necessary charisma based skills to perform a feint. Spot is easily grabbed by plenty of classes, not to mention most people multiclass or cross class skills anyway. It's no secret that the warrior Meta for Ravenloft is Martial Class(Barb, rngr, fighter) 10/5 (Fighter or Barbarian)/5 Rogue. Rogue has access to spot, and most people do he 5 class dip here just to grab Tumble, and some skill points. They'll have more than enough for spot. Not only that, it now gives people a reason to bother with spot. Nobody usually bothers with spot because scrolls of invisibility or Potions which rogues have access to. So instead people just raise listen in order to detect them.

as for your 4, is this a problem? If anything this would be support for those against it because it nerfs the rogue flatout, altough Improved Combat Expertise may help the rogue in this situation regardless (Rogues grab this cause their tanks btw)

your five is another contrary one, you say this as if nothing is glitched/bugged. The risk of it having a bug is silly, bugs tend to get fixed when they cause problems (See Kettlefish Thread). NWN itself is buggy as hell so this doesn't mean anything and it's just to be contrary.

6...what? No. this gives rogue a round of sneaks in exchange for all but one of it's attacks...learn to DND man

7 Something else similar exists...okay hardly relevant but it's there. Taunt does something completely different and is more of the warriors version, or rather a tanks version. I would never let my typical two hander sit still to talk smack to an enemy. Also... Starwars?

Smiley face guy with sunglasses is not a number. also the reason again is just to be contrary and another way of writing your first reason.

9 Not gonna look up what Zherne nor will I criticize a buddy of mine too hard, but I will say you missed the point of the issue with the kettle fish completely, and i'm not bringing it up to get us further off topic. Also speaking of which you've quite a bit of nerve to talk about getting back on topic in a thread I started after further pushing it off topic when I had stated I wanted to get back on topic.

Your section of why it would be a good idea... please, just please...don't argue for those who want it it's not helping.

your 1 doesn't expand enough information on the importance of options in DND like I have stressed. Please don't use my arguemets/explanations unless you plan to give them the full detail they deserve.

your 2 is... ...what? LOL!? No one has said this at all, also no one feint rogues in Table Top, feint's better as a later level option hence a reason why it's good here cause in neverwinter you can expect to actually get beyond level 5. Most table tops don't play nearly as far levels as DND Video Games do.

3 Could be true, although I doubt it... I'm pretty sure it's used in PRC or Players Resource Consortium but I am unsure on that.

4 LOL WHAT!?

what does initiative have anything t do with feint? Wait I know! Nothing! Bloody, nothing! not even a little bit, if anything this would give it more use because charisma based rogues will need this to complete with dex based rogue who will ultimately have better initiative than they ever will!

I mean wow dude... sorry for coming off as rude, but seriously. You ignore me when I want a thread back on track, then you come back wanting to put it back on track with mostly contrary nonsense or things that simply don't make sense. I mean shoot me for being rude but there you have it...

Like you actually took Fenlo's troll post about rogues casting 9th level spells seriously...like... I mean you did realize he was making fun of people who said rogue was OP right? I mean you realize that was a clever joke with a punch line provided, then you go and provide another punchline by actually believing it. At first I was annoyed by the fact that this thread got hijacked and turned into an "OMG DIS CLASS OP/NOT OP" thread but now i'm glad it did go up because this is comedic gold.

• Outlander
  • Reclamation has begun
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »

1) Another option.

I'm going to try and not be rude... okay can't do it.

yep sinking as low as to use an image macro.

Okay your first two reasons listed is basically random  crap to be contrary, no offense but it's true. The server has added useless stuff I never see anyone use including Warding Gesture. So you reason of "It's another thing to add" is weak because that's just to say "I wouldn't want to be bothered with the work to add in a script". Which is funny cause i'm not even  sure you would even be the one adding the script to the module, so what difference does the labor make to you?

The ability is a skill, so it's open to all classes (herp). Not only can rogue make use of this along with bard (who can sort of make use of this) but you have black guard and CoTs who can certainly also make use of this.

Concentration wouldn't make sense. At all. Also not everyone has access to the necessary charisma based skills to perform a feint. Spot is easily grabbed by plenty of classes, not to mention most people multiclass or cross class skills anyway. It's no secret that the warrior Meta for Ravenloft is Martial Class(Barb, rngr, fighter) 10/5 (Fighter or Barbarian)/5 Rogue. Rogue has access to spot, and most people do he 5 class dip here just to grab Tumble, and some skill points. They'll have more than enough for spot. Not only that, it now gives people a reason to bother with spot. Nobody usually bothers with spot because scrolls of invisibility or Potions which rogues have access to. So instead people just raise listen in order to detect them.

as for your 4, is this a problem? If anything this would be support for those against it because it nerfs the rogue flatout, altough Improved Combat Expertise may help the rogue in this situation regardless (Rogues grab this cause their tanks btw)

your five is another contrary one, you say this as if nothing is glitched/bugged. The risk of it having a bug is silly, bugs tend to get fixed when they cause problems (See Kettlefish Thread). NWN itself is buggy as hell so this doesn't mean anything and it's just to be contrary.

6...what? No. this gives rogue a round of sneaks in exchange for all but one of it's attacks...learn to DND man

7 Something else similar exists...okay hardly relevant but it's there. Taunt does something completely different and is more of the warriors version, or rather a tanks version. I would never let my typical two hander sit still to talk smack to an enemy. Also... Starwars?

Smiley face guy with sunglasses is not a number. also the reason again is just to be contrary and another way of writing your first reason.

9 Not gonna look up what Zherne nor will I criticize a buddy of mine too hard, but I will say you missed the point of the issue with the kettle fish completely, and i'm not bringing it up to get us further off topic. Also speaking of which you've quite a bit of nerve to talk about getting back on topic in a thread I started after further pushing it off topic when I had stated I wanted to get back on topic.

Your section of why it would be a good idea... please, just please...don't argue for those who want it it's not helping.

your 1 doesn't expand enough information on the importance of options in DND like I have stressed. Please don't use my arguemets/explanations unless you plan to give them the full detail they deserve.

your 2 is... ...what? LOL!? No one has said this at all, also no one feint rogues in Table Top, feint's better as a later level option hence a reason why it's good here cause in neverwinter you can expect to actually get beyond level 5. Most table tops don't play nearly as far levels as DND Video Games do.

3 Could be true, although I doubt it... I'm pretty sure it's used in PRC or Players Resource Consortium but I am unsure on that.

4 LOL WHAT!?

what does initiative have anything t do with feint? Wait I know! Nothing! Bloody, nothing! not even a little bit, if anything this would give it more use because charisma based rogues will need this to complete with dex based rogue who will ultimately have better initiative than they ever will!

I mean wow dude... sorry for coming off as rude, but seriously. You ignore me when I want a thread back on track, then you come back wanting to put it back on track with mostly contrary nonsense or things that simply don't make sense. I mean shoot me for being rude but there you have it...

Like you actually took Fenlo's troll post about rogues casting 9th level spells seriously...like... I mean you did realize he was making fun of people who said rogue was OP right? I mean you realize that was a clever joke with a punch line provided, then you go and provide another punchline by actually believing it. At first I was annoyed by the fact that this thread got hijacked and turned into an "OMG DIS CLASS OP/NOT OP" thread but now i'm glad it did go up because this is comedic gold.

Uh...I don't even know how to respond to what you have said, that was sheer idiocy and obvious you are just looking to turn this into a flame war.

And for the record, Concentration would make TONS of sense to be the opposite of feint seeing as it's HOW WELL YOU STAY FOCUSED AND AVOID DISTRACTION.

How does Improved Initiative come into play? Because if you attack first...you get sneak attack. Please, if you're going to troll someone. Do it right. And by do it right, I mean leave it to Dutchy.

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2013, 04:06:57 PM »
Uh...I don't even know how to respond to what you have said

Sorry would work I mean, you did ignore me when trying to bring order to my own thread then tried to hijack it. I mean... that would suffice rather nicley but that's just me, I mean what do I know? [smug shrug] as for flame war? naw I just brought up the point that you have no idea what the hell are you talking about lol, you getting mad isn't a flame war.

HOW WELL YOU STAY FOCUSED AND AVOID DISTRACTION.

This is not how feint works. please read the SRD again. A feint is not a distraction it is a bluff to confuse someone into thinking you are weak in a place where you are actually not, or that you are going to strike from one place when you are actually going to strike from another. Also don't capslock me, that's just rude i'm trying to have a discussion not a shouting match.

How does Improved Initiative come into play? Because if you attack first...you get sneak attack.

Improved Initiative makes no damn difference because Sneak Attacks are made as part of a "Surprise Round" if you actually played DND you would know what "Surprise Round" is. Initiative is rolled AFTER a surprise round. I thought you played DND? The only time sneak attacks aren't made as part of a suprise is in moments like Feint, flanking, and flatfooted opponents.

Please, if you're going to troll someone. Do it right. And by do it right, I mean leave it to Dutchy.

Oh I'm not trolling, I could've sworn you were because you actually took Fenlo's post seriously. If I was trolling you i'd actually be doing it right cause your getting quite upset...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:09:30 PM by Snowflame »

The Prophet of Misinformation

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2013, 04:10:46 PM »
The Wizard who gets Imp Knockdown spammed: *Tantrum*.

The fighter eating Acid Sheathe? Timeless.
"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts in the hour of danger."
~Andrew Jackson