You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Half-Elf phenotypes - Actually looking like a half elf character  (Read 11972 times)

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
Re: Half-Elf phenotypes - Actually looking like a half elf character
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 12:04:38 AM »
Hmm, I still don't like half-elves being able to pass for elves, but now that I realize how limited the head selection is, I can see why it's so disappointing.

I'll bring it up at the next developer's meeting and get back to you with our decisions.

but should they be able to pass for humans?

I wouldn't think so, like straight looking at them. However they should get racial bonus if they intend to disguise as one after all, they share qaulities of both parents and i'm sure they could sorta blend into their surroundings.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 01:13:18 AM »
Admittedly, that's a terrible selection, so I can see your point.

Mister, I recommend you to have a better look on CEP stuff. We could use a lot of love here!

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 05:41:27 AM »
Thanks a lot for the consideration and clear (also rather quick) response Blue.

The only char I had in mind would've played the race, regardless of phenotype or head.
But being able to better portray the visuals, closer to the way his portrait looks, is always a good thing.

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 05:43:44 AM »
Who plays half elves anyway? Just very curious...

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 06:38:52 AM »
I've seen and played half-elves. Usually they're indistinguishable from Humans unless they die or make a song and dance of it.
A most troublesome Fox.

Major Tom

• Undead Master
  • "Nobody has margaritas with pizza!"
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 06:48:49 AM »
The general point of half-elves, at least, is that to humans they look like elves, and to elves they look like humans.

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 07:01:03 AM »
Yeah, the core tragedy of half-elves is that they're children of two worlds, torn between the two, blah blah blah. The problem is that when it's repeated ad infinitum for PC-playable races it's kind of hard to do an original re-telling.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 07:03:36 AM »
Well, I was more referring to it in the sense that half-elves on NWN just look like humans to everyone. :P It's only about halfway there, lol.

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »
Well I was looking at D20 Ravenloft Players Handbook and came across half elf... they actually look more elven than human in the book to be honest :V.

Like seriously their picture for a male half elf is an elf with a beard. the female one looks much more human. i'd post a picture but I can't find at the moment...

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 03:43:06 PM »
Yeah, the 3.0 PHB depicts them as human-sized, though. The half-elf is drawn next to the elf for comparison of body size, etc.

But they do have pointy ears like elves.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 11:56:19 PM »
I'm not sure how it was achieved, but I have seen PCs before that went against the default PC heights.
If this is true, wouldn't it be theoretically possible to simply scale up the elven model slightly to balance it out a bit again.
(Unless this actual size change was merely a specific model change instead, in that case ignore my comment.)

Not saying this should be requestable anyhow, as then everyone might start requesting height changes.
But it could be a potential, temporary, alternative solution if the DM team wants taller half-elves with pointed ears that are still rather frail. Who knows?

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 12:05:05 AM »
I believe you are referring to the newer addition to CEP, which would be the Invisible Creature 'creature', which is effectively the notion of using the numerous 'Tail Models' which incorporate multiple NPCs and Monsters. Each 'Invisible Creature' having a percentile ranging from 10 to 200, i.e. making the 'tail-Creature' either 1/10ths of its original size, or double its size.

However, I've not seen it been incorporated to the Dynamic Player-Race phenotypes that are customizable.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 03:19:26 AM »
The resizing thing wasn't added in the CEP, it was added in the final patch by Bioware (1.69). It doesn't work with standard PCs because you can't have dynamic body parts on a tail (which is itself a dynamic body part).

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 06:53:51 AM »
I was actually refering to a caliban PC I saw who was less than half the size of a halfling.
But I'm assuming he merely makes use of somekind of different model entirely to be that tiny? Not a resize.

Geiger

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 06:57:07 AM »
That was a brownie model.

I hate them.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 02:44:37 PM »
Yeah the brownie dynamic model uses elf heads.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2013, 04:40:31 PM »
No clue what a "brownie model" is supposed to be, although it sounds delicious.
But anyway, the example I spoke of was a caliban with a caliban head. Just very tiny, not sure which phenotype it was even.

Either way, you more or less answered to my curiousity anyhow. It wouldn't be a viable alternative then, figured I'd still mention it.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2013, 05:09:36 PM »
No clue what a "brownie model" is supposed to be, although it sounds delicious.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29

based on the creature from Scottish folklore: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_%28folklore%29

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc[/youtube]

Nemien Callishan

• Ezrite Anchorite wannabe
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 08:46:45 AM »
I'm not sure how it was achieved, but I have seen PCs before that went against the default PC heights.
If this is true, wouldn't it be theoretically possible to simply scale up the elven model slightly to balance it out a bit again.
(Unless this actual size change was merely a specific model change instead, in that case ignore my comment.)

Not saying this should be requestable anyhow, as then everyone might start requesting height changes.
But it could be a potential, temporary, alternative solution if the DM team wants taller half-elves with pointed ears that are still rather frail. Who knows?

Unfortunately model scaling is impossible in NWN. To change the size of a model you need to recreate it at a different size then switch models. Dynamic model scaling is a NWN 2 thing and the dev team here don't like NWN 2 :(.

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 08:48:31 AM »
Only solution would be effectively to create individually scaled models one at a time. So you'd have multiple scaled versions of Human, then of Elf, and etc, etc.

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2013, 09:01:03 AM »

Unfortunately model scaling is impossible in NWN. To change the size of a model you need to recreate it at a different size then switch models. Dynamic model scaling is a NWN 2 thing and the dev team here don't like NWN 2 :(.

Can you blame them? I mean just look at that toolest... it scares me.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2013, 09:01:39 AM »
Only solution would be effectively to create individually scaled models one at a time. So you'd have multiple scaled versions of Human, then of Elf, and etc, etc.

Nah, that won't be done, ever. You'd likely also need to rescale all the heads and such.
If anything, it'd be more like someone would rescale the elven heads to fit the human model.
(Which seems to have been done already somewhere, I think, just isn't implemented yet.)

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2013, 09:04:08 AM »
I never said it would be done.. why do people always assume I'm saying something 'must be done' when I'm speaking hypothetically..?

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2013, 09:13:10 AM »
I never said it would be done.. why do people always assume I'm saying something 'must be done' when I'm speaking hypothetically..?

Merely commented that I can't see it happening. Any assumptions that it was a comment directed at you personally are entirely.. assumed?

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2013, 09:23:03 AM »
Well, less assumed, more derived from choice of wording. :P