Author Topic: Kettle of Fish, Barrel of Monkeys.  (Read 17872 times)

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
Kettle of Fish, Barrel of Monkeys.
« on: January 06, 2013, 07:05:22 PM »
I love a good jape, but these items add little to the server and are seemingly only used for pranks.

Spammed far and wide across the server, all they add is lagg that brings the server to a crawl, especially with the number of players now being hosted.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: Kettle of Fish, Barrel of Monkeys.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 07:32:58 PM »
I've fixed both items to be less common, the factions of the creatures should now be hostile to the summoners, and the kettle of fish has less charges.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Daboomer

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 10:28:44 PM »
Is it supposed to only be hostile to the summoners or actually to others to? I know chars have easily been able to walk by the monkeys.

Kaspar

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 10:35:46 PM »
I want to point out the ability for the summoner to spam the fish, and then kill them to gain experience. Is there a way to end this?

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 10:36:26 PM »
Seriously, just remove the items already. They add absolutely nothing to the setting and the joke has gotten old already.
They're easily the most immersion shattering things I've witnessed on the server (there might be worse items, but I couldn't name any.)

I like a lot of the new items, but these two simply don't belong on an RP server and scream to be abused or used in lame not very IC "pranks".

Kaspar

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 10:48:44 PM »
I tested it with the barrel of monkey's and they don't award experience, just the fish.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:55:09 PM by Vasile »

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 02:40:53 AM »
Is it supposed to only be hostile to the summoners or actually to others to? I know chars have easily been able to walk by the monkeys.
They should be hostile to all PCs

Jalthex

• Captain Hiatus
  • Undead Master
  • You make me touch your hands for stupid reasons!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 02:57:34 AM »

Neither the monkeys or fish have ever been hostile to any of my characters.

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 06:14:39 AM »
Seriously, just remove the items already. They add absolutely nothing to the setting and the joke has gotten old already.
They're easily the most immersion shattering things I've witnessed on the server (there might be worse items, but I couldn't name any.)

I like a lot of the new items, but these two simply don't belong on an RP server and scream to be abused or used in lame not very IC "pranks".

Daboomer

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 06:26:43 AM »

Neither the monkeys or fish have ever been hostile to any of my characters.

Confirming this above, hear others who simply could stroll by a bunch to

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 11:08:37 AM »
The fix hasn't been uploaded yet, should be in the next update. As for people using the item OOC or deliberately trying to create lag, they will be dealt with harshly; it's a small group of players and I've already issued a weeklong ban to one of them.

Bardboy

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 11:13:38 AM »
I've tried hard to find a good potential IC scene where pulling a giant herring from a barrel would make sense and I couldn't find one. My heartfelt suggestion would be to remove the items completely and avoid the temptation and the grief.
"And when everyone is special.. no one will be!"
Player of Rose Twain

DangerousToGoAlone

• New to the Mists
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 11:18:39 AM »
I've tried hard to find a good potential IC scene where pulling a giant herring from a barrel would make sense and I couldn't find one. My heartfelt suggestion would be to remove the items completely and avoid the temptation and the grief.

This. I have seen absolutely no real RP come from these items. It feels OOC, and breaks immersion alot.
Anaya Firewind - Kagonesti Shaman
Vanessa Whitemantle - Revered Daughter of Paladine

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »

This. I have seen absolutely no real RP come from these items. It feels OOC, and breaks immersion alot.

agreed

Badelaire

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 12:46:49 PM »
What's so immersion-breaking about happening on giant, floating, blank-stare catfish in the tser pool, mist camp, visitor's tent, governer's hotel room and various other public places within 30 mins?

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »
Guys, I get that you had a bad experience. I'm sorry it's buggy and not working properly and that people used it to be jerks. But being snarky and petulant does not help in anyway whatsoever.

Anything can be used to break immersion if the person acts OOC: virtually any spell, summoned creature, and the whole shifter class can be immersion-breaking if the person behind it is motivated OOC to be a jackass, and I've seen them all used in that manner here and elsewhere.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 01:44:04 PM »
curious what sort of immersion improvement these are supposed to help add to the server though.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 01:50:07 PM »
curious what sort of immersion improvement these are supposed to help add to the server though.
they are meant to be a cursed item (because the summoned creatures are also supposed to be hostile to the summoner) that can also be used as a distraction to escape enemies or avoid them

Obviously, I misjudged the performance issues these can cause, so I will probably reduce them to 4-5 uses each.

I had originally set the monsters summoned to an incorrect faction, that should be fixed in the next update so they should be hostile after that. If not, I'll have to check the script (it's basically the same script that Guiseppe's Doll uses), but I think it's probably because the factions were wrong.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:53:59 PM by Bluebomber4evr »

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »
I still like the item, just don't like the people abusing it. They'll make for wonderfully malicious pranks.
: )

Squeak

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 02:43:41 PM »
I still like the item, just don't like the people abusing it. They'll make for wonderfully malicious pranks.

Quoting this because I whole heartily agree with it.

Obviously, I misjudged the performance issues these can cause, so I will probably reduce them to 4-5 uses each.

That there will fix the biggest issue I have with the items, 50 uses... is simply insane more so when folk get there hands on them to simply cause chaos... I'd also suggest making them somewhat less common as well if possible even with the lower uses.

Cheers for working to try and fix the issue everybody has with the item Blue.

Squeak.

Kaspar

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 07:15:31 PM »
Can we make the fish smaller in size?

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 07:33:36 PM »
There's a smaller catfish, but it's higher up off of the ground. The catfish summoned by the kettle are supposed to be a monstrous version of this real-world animal:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4a-ckzpD0I[/youtube]

The monstrous version is lower to the ground and thus can pass for a "walking catfish." They're also the same CR as the carnivorous apes.

In PnP the item summoned flying fish. While there's no model currently like a flying fish in NWN at the moment, the CEP stingrays are basically modified bat models and thus look more like they are flying than swimming. If you guys would prefer that, I can replace the catfish with a "flying fish" instead. They just seemed sillier than a walking catfish.

What does the scanner see

• Outlander
  • Reclamation has begun
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 07:36:29 PM »
I really don't see these contributing to the atmosphere in any way. Items here have always been great, some bonus, equivalent negative but I really fail to see how being attacked by a monkey or fish is cursed. When I see these items, I think of a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat or a bunch of clowns leaving a clown car. They haven't been used in a serious fashion by any of the players who actually use them and they should just be removed.
What does the scanner see? Into the head? Down into the heart? Does it see into me, into us? Clearly or darkly? I hope it sees clearly, because I can't any longer see into myself. I see only murk. I hope for everyone's sake the scanners do better.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 07:46:18 PM »
I have no personal experience with these items as yet, but looking at some of the pics of primates and Giant catfish on the net... If you keep the look of these RL things in mind IC... it's pretty scary. The abuse is currently the fault of the players, since we're making efforts to tone them down a bit.

Kaspar

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 07:48:09 PM »
There's a smaller catfish, but it's higher up off of the ground. The catfish summoned by the kettle are supposed to be a monstrous version of this real-world animal:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4a-ckzpD0I[/youtube]

The monstrous version is lower to the ground and thus can pass for a "walking catfish." They're also the same CR as the carnivorous apes.

In PnP the item summoned flying fish. While there's no model currently like a flying fish in NWN at the moment, the CEP stingrays are basically modified bat models and thus look more like they are flying than swimming. If you guys would prefer that, I can replace the catfish with a "flying fish" instead. They just seemed sillier than a walking catfish.

I would prefer a catfish closer to the ground. I think catfish flying in the air would be a bit much; not that pyxies are any different really.

I do agree that the item is easy to be abused, as I was the main victim in that cat fish parade by the Vistani Camp, but I could see these barrels/fish being used in dungeons effectively to distract things or perhaps as some silly (thought out) prank with some realistic IC role play. I suppose time will have to tell? I really don't see the DMs keeping these items in game for long if they just keep being subjected to abuse.