Author Topic: Taunt/Antagonize - Drawing "Aggro"  (Read 2319 times)

Kaspar

Taunt/Antagonize - Drawing "Aggro"
« on: January 06, 2013, 07:00:02 AM »
Has thought been put into adding the ability to "Draw aggro" by using the antagonize (Taunt) ability on a mob? It would be a beneficial tool for tank classes in dungeons to use and I can see it as making plenty of sense. An example; Frenar enjoys using the ability in combat frequently and if it drew attention of a mob to attack him it would be a good boon and protective ability for the weaker classes that Frenar protects in his battle groups.

Now the big question.. Is the aggro system on these mobs hard coded and untouchable, or is there wiggle room and there possibility for this to happen? I would certainly use it quite often and I'm sure a lot of other people would make good use out of it.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
Re: Taunt/Antagonize - Drawing "Aggro"
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 04:03:51 AM »
I do like this idea, if only because its very annoying for monsters to be ignoring mortal danger you present to them while they chase after a wizard who is currently posing them no harm.  So making it something that can be an active ability for others to keep the attentions off of their fellows by striking nerves sounds a good enough compromise to me.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 04:19:41 AM »
My home server was able to code in abilty for taunt to agro monsters. sometimes takes a round, but still they would turn around, so its possible

silly nwn has it set for mobs to try chase after the pc with the lowest ac even if they didnt have sight of you

Kaspar

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:26:48 AM »
The ability won't be overpowering because it takes time to antagonize a monster, sacrificing an attack, and you can only do it to one monster. There's also a timer on it.

Fen'lo Taaran

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 04:29:25 AM »
AFAIK Sorens optimized the AI to be a lot more cut-throat in how it handles fighting, otherwise most monsters would be complete pushovers.