Author Topic: Racial Appearance, Subraces, and OCR Improvement Suggestion  (Read 3828 times)

Geiger

Racial Appearance, Subraces, and OCR Improvement Suggestion
« on: January 04, 2013, 07:47:07 PM »
Hello there! I was thinking about something that, at least, I feel is fairly interesting and may do some things to help out 'around the house' for both players and DMs. I'll try and make this short and sweet.

We all know there are certain races, monstrous and otherwise that require a little work in the OOC area to set up. Sometimes you reaaaallly need a DM - for something like an appearance change or what have you. This is mostly an issue of Caliban and some of the less-than-human species like Tiefling.

Why not have it set up so that people can do this themselves during the character making process? Since we have three base appearances a caliban can undertake: half-orc, gnome, and dwarf - why not have a menu option or peaceable up there that allows you to change your own appearance? This will take a lot a work off the hands of DMs so they can continue being merrymen and merrywomen.

The same could be done for some races that may require DM assistance - like tieflings and what have you that may need horns or a tail. If players can do this themselves - it gives less work, more DM stuff is now possible.

---------

The next part of this suggestion goes in hand with the former. Since we have these options to add new appearances: Some might consider that while some people are approved to be these things, that there may be an abuse. An over-abundance of freakish caliban and demonspawn with way to crazy appearances.

Well why not account for that in the system?

Caliban could have two options:

Caliban: This option sets your OCR in Barovia one or two steps away from being auto-hostile to the NPCs within. This doesn't entirely give you the 'free card' where you can ignore NPCs but is meant to allow Caliban the ability to be surface dwellers. This is meant to allow them to be like some of the caliban and freaks that are tolerated like Rulinus and the Forfarian giant in the Blue Water. The caveat is these guys are more or less stuck to your 'traditional' appearance. You get no cool wings or laser eyes. You're more or less 'normal looking' except maybe your face is messed up, or you have a weird limp, you're way too big, etc, etc. You are given the step of 'one away from kicked out' to impress on you your place in society. Couple this with NPCs who may not talk to you regardless and it sets a dynamic for people to be able to play as caliban, without being incredibly lonely and I think sets the tone up very well for a caliban in Barovia. This however doesn't protect them from IC mistreatment and abuse by Barovian people and Garda.

Caliban Freak: Caliban freak is someone who has an auto OCR jump that makes them instant hostile. They are given one 'appearance option' extra that also, if they choose, further and permanently raises their OCR. They have their choice of something like horns, and are allowed to have 'goat legs' and whatnot. They don't have to be this freakish, but these can be the outright sewer dwellers and allow for a darker, more outcast roll. These beings are not trying to live among the normies and they shun them.

For Tieflings, Fey'ri,  Aasimar, and Tanarukkh (and any other monsterous or deadly type outcast races we might have hidden): The option to give themselves up to two extra appearance options at the cost of a permanent OCR increase. IE, If you want horns, there is an OCR hike, if you want wings, there is a hike. These add together, or can be left out. Tieflings would be unique in that they can choose options that don't necessarily raise their OCR too much like: Casts no shadow, casts no reflection. These allow for the secretive and less-than obvious tieflings. Tieflings are not just horned freaks and some live 'somewhat' normal lives in societies because of their more or less normal appearance. What people don't know, allows them not to kill you yet. Hahah.

This also allows people who have the 'itch' to have tails (which can't be hidden) or those massive (and awesome) horn models, be set up in a way that accurately represents those traits. OCR hikes gives them an incentive to be responsible.

I think tieflings and aasimar should be given the same OCR level, or at least 'normalized' in character creation. While one is 'good' and one is 'bad' they both have freakish traits that I feel would unnerve xenophobic Barovians and human-supremecists alike.

Could half-elves be given the option to choose between their human appearance and elven appearance? Perhaps if you choose the elven one you are given the elven OCR. It is said that half-elves end up looking like one or the other. Since there was made no actual 'in between', why not give us the choice to choose since half-elf is just human appearance.

I suggest this as a means to help DMs cut down on their 'work time' so they can play with us more.

---

Other ideas that I thought about while writing this up, and kinda tacked in:

How about the ability to choose your spawn point to any domain (excluding Perfidus, yikes!).

I'd also like to see the OCR system developed for other domains, which don't really have functioning systems yet. Places like Hazlan who as of yet don't really care about your base race and are not entirely too hateful of non-humans.

Maybe an OCR based system for all races like: "Scars" - your character has scars on their face and as such get a bonus of + 4 to antagonize, but a permnanet OCR increase of +1. Stuff like that.

ILLY6666

• Undead Master
Re: Racial Appearance, Subraces, and OCR Improvement Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 07:58:04 AM »
I like these ideas, it brings more variation into it and a more engaging OCR system.
"What is a day, without  a blessed night?
And what is peace, without a blessed fight?"

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 10:18:18 AM »
I honestly never got why they are so reserved with holding back certain dyes or requiring applications for caliban phenotypes, etc.
Since if someone really wanted to abuse it, they could just create a bright blue character and dress him in a rainbow coloured outfit already.

If someone wants an outrageous character concept that is frowned upon, this community or the DMs will likely pick up on it in no time.
If this change would ultimately remove a big chunk of the workload from DMs, I'm all for it. This seems like a responsibility the players actually -can- handle.
And I like the proposal, it seems within reason. As long as you can't freely get wings and glowing eyes, it seems fair. Even tails aren't too outrageous, imo.

---

Do kind of have to disagree with some of your other optional ideas at the bottom.
At least the scar thing sounds like a rather unneccesary system. The OCR in other domains they were already working on I believe? Or at least considering.

But spawnpoints in places like Hazlan or Dementlieu wouldn't work, unless the areas are completely revamped to cater to lower levels better.
Else it'd be suicide for new players. You could still implement it, but there's not that much of a point and you'd need to put a big warning there in caps lock.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 11:36:29 AM »
I honestly never got why they are so reserved with holding back certain dyes or requiring applications for caliban phenotypes, etc.
Since if someone really wanted to abuse it, they could just create a bright blue character and dress him in a rainbow coloured outfit already.

If someone wants an outrageous character concept that is frowned upon, this community or the DMs will likely pick up on it in no time.
If this change would ultimately remove a big chunk of the workload from DMs, I'm all for it. This seems like a responsibility the players actually -can- handle.

Nope, they really can't. A friend of mine decided to test this a long time ago made a pink caliban wearing a rainbow colored outfit with, no lie, a fish in each hand, and what did the people of the outskirts do? Gave him stuff, thought him just the bee's knees, and protected him against the two or three who thought he was a freak.

Tyras

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 12:04:03 PM »
Nope, they really can't. A friend of mine decided to test this a long time ago made a pink caliban wearing a rainbow colored outfit with, no lie, a fish in each hand, and what did the people of the outskirts do? Gave him stuff, thought him just the bee's knees, and protected him against the two or three who thought he was a freak.

Hell, you don't even have to be a crazy looking character.  Players will see a wolf come wandering out of the woods with a player name above it and be perfectly fine with it and attack anybody seeking to drive the wolf off.

Giving those options to the players would do nothing but increase the workload of DMs because there are too many players that couldn't care less about the setting and just want to make what they feel like making, and would have to be dealt with for breaking the immersive atmosphere of the server.  The community does not do a good job, at least from my observations in the Outskirts, of policing itself, and DM intervention would be required.  Outside of server stability issues I don't know why there aren't angry mobs looking for half of the people in the outskirts given their open use of Varja and bewitched flaming/glowing weapons, strange and often evil looking clothing/armor (Seriously, if your character looks like Sauron from LotR you shouldn't be received well in the temple or in an already superstitious/xenophobic society), and the dragging of werewolves into their inns, camps or temples...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:06:24 PM by Tyras »

Sorrow00

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 12:52:39 PM »

Hell, you don't even have to be a crazy looking character.  Players will see a wolf come wandering out of the woods with a player name above it and be perfectly fine with it and attack anybody seeking to drive the wolf off.

Giving those options to the players would do nothing but increase the workload of DMs because there are too many players that couldn't care less about the setting and just want to make what they feel like making, and would have to be dealt with for breaking the immersive atmosphere of the server.  The community does not do a good job, at least from my observations in the Outskirts, of policing itself, and DM intervention would be required.  Outside of server stability issues I don't know why there aren't angry mobs looking for half of the people in the outskirts given their open use of Varja and bewitched flaming/glowing weapons, strange and often evil looking clothing/armor (Seriously, if your character looks like Sauron from LotR you shouldn't be received well in the temple or in an already superstitious/xenophobic society), and the dragging of werewolves into their inns, camps or temples...
I more or less have to agree with some points of the above, People should think of the setting and the immersion of the server more, but they dont cause they wanna do whatever the hell they want. but i also take offense to this slightly, Ive a new barovian woman whos recently chased off a fey witch that decided to be all idiotic with his vraja and run around like there wasnt a problem with it, the results? he got chased by both me and the garda, and eventually was slain. This also comes into effect if you see a bloody wolf wander the outskirts, seriously i dont give a damn if it has a player name above its head, YOU AS THE PLAYER CANNOT SEE THE NAME!!!!!!!!!!

[huff] sorry, just gets on my nerves sometimes when players dont take things seriously such as that stuff. If a druid comes into the outskirts shifted as a wolf, bear or other creature that isnt the norm, GO HUNT IT DOWN or shoo it away!!!

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 01:38:57 PM »
I'm not disagreeing with what is being said, but the problem being described is with the general attitude of the playerbase.
Players with that mindset will RP badly, with or without horns. It doesn't have much to do with the changes being proposed.

When people bring up the point that it will be abused, I feel like saying "Doh." Everything that can be abused, will be abused. That's just how it is.
The question is if the change is actually worth considering to implement. Or whether the potential abuse is too obvious and outweighs the positive impact it would have.
(I think chrome cloth dye to make ragged cloaks, choice in caliban phenotypes, etc. are all great viable additions to the server. But for example wings, wouldn't be worth it.)

The issue of the playerbase disregarding the setting or RPing poorly is probably best fixed by having an observant CC and DM team.
But all the unneeded administrative procedures and time-consuming in-game requests are only going to keep the DMs from adressing the real issue. More freedom to the players also means more time for DMs to actually keep an eye on the quality of RP throughout the playerbase. As well as more time for the fun stuff, such as running events. I'm not advocating for too much creative freedom, people can obviously not handle that, but unneccesary limitations are a waste of everyone's time. And what for? Just because a handful of people dick around, who eventually inevitably get banned or told off for their mistakes anyhow?

I don't think it's a valid arguement to deny more reasonable requests such as some of the ones the original poster made.
At least some of the points, not all of them, sound like something you'd naturally expect to be available on the server already.

---

Oh, and to react specifically to something mentioned in the original post.

I think the idea of rolling a caliban is to actually be one of the freaks. If you want to RP a minor deformation, you simply roll a human or whatever and possibly ask for your OCR to be bumped up a bit. Making a specific destinction between caliban and caliban freaks seems an unneccesary split. I'd rather see it kept as one subrace, but give them the ability to somehow gain just enough OCR to not be auto-attacked on sight, or not right away at least. Or to allow disguises, with a certain statless hood item that can't be visually altered perhaps, that bumps up your OCR just that little bit when worn. It comes down to the exact same change, but without creating an unneccesary split-off watered down version of the Caliban subrace.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 01:55:12 PM by Grimson »

Tyras

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 03:26:09 PM »
If it's done in a request format, like an application with a good backstory for it, then yeah sure.  I'm all for it, but I thought the take away was the options should be available to all to reduce the burden on DMs by doing away with the application process.

I just see too much "I do what I want" and metagaming going on to trust many of the players with expanded options for skin color or body characteristics like horns, tails, hooves etc.  I think it would lead to an infestation of caliban Darth Maul wannabe weirdos that would become so common place as to break the setting's atmosphere.  The OCR ratings would not be enough to discourgage them.  There's not enough Garda out there, and nobody ever really needs to go into the town for anything, except crafting, with the Vistani buying and selling, the Ranger in the cottage near the gallows buying and selling, and food that's as easy to come by as a 5HP deer and a campfire.  With PvP being consentual, even players couldn't help police such problems, because all "Ribeye Twohorns" has to do is decline PvP and go on his merry freakish way unbothered by the native character and his angry mob, or by the outlander doing his best to keep the garda's attentions away from the outskirts so they can live and do business there.

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 03:34:48 PM »
Not enough Garda!?  There's loads of Garda, mate.  When I was in the fact, the majority of the time there were no active players. Just me, Vasile later on, and others.  The Garda now is packed.

Geiger

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 03:36:17 PM »
Yep - currently there are about... 8 or so active garda. That's a lot.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 04:21:04 PM »
I agree with the half elf OCR suggestion whole heartily. Always found it odd as to how a merchant instantly knew who was half elf and who was human. Even most the time they had hoods up.

Also, because of the fact no two calibans are like i believe the race should be opened up to allow use of any of the standered dynamic body models. With the limitation to more monstrous heads. Or even select normal heads if they choose to have more body deformities rather then facial deformities.

Would give for more diversity among the race, from what i can remember in the past at some point the race became limited to gnome and half orc only. Which does not give many facial choice or diversity among the playerbase, you become much more likely to run into the "same" looking appearances among a race where no two should be alike.

If the above does become a yes, then the OCR for them should be given some leway and be broken down and made more custom for each Caliban.

For example, a Elven women with hoofed bent legs, who wears a long gown wont instantly be seen as Caliban. There for should have a lower OCR based on that,

While a 8 foot, sickly yellow scaled, hunch back man with a pig face would be quite obviously a caliban and subject to a much higher OCR.

MadJKevlar

• Undead Master
  • Ah! the generals! (is AKA WhenWolvesHoundThePrey)
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 04:26:57 PM »
I picked out chose spawn / starter location among there suggestions, I have thought this would be cool on many occasions, especially in the case of harakir and dementliue and Hazlan, personally i think this would keep more new players because Barovia / valaki just pisses a lot of unprepared people off and scares them off, if the spawn location option was there though perhaps they would try other locations to start before leaving the server.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 04:33:29 PM »
Only issue with that option is it will mosre then likely spread people out to the point they feel the area is dead or die repeadly because they cant even find anyone to help them.

Also, the areas tend to not be made for all levels :S, If a new player was wandering about and saw a sewer (As most would assume would be a low level hunting area, to encounter rats, a frequent low level starter) They would find much, much more then that and die horribly and become frustrated because there was no heads up that the area was designed for levels 10 and up.

Would also make the script for rp xp in vallaki quite useless.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 08:25:12 PM »
I am tempted, oh so tempted to randomly test out just how welcoming the outskirts is to freakazoids. I have spent so long avoiding the outskirts with any freak characters I made to the point I find such scenarios difficult to believe.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Sorrow00

• Outlander
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 08:42:04 PM »
Be ready for a warm Barovian welcome then.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 08:56:56 PM »
It was not always that way, my second character here was a caliban and back in 2008 hanging around the outskirts was a death trap so we used to avoid the place completely unless we were running like 6 deep like a mob.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 09:00:49 PM »
Same here, although we used to go there at night sometimes to sell absolutely useless wares, like ratmeat and rusty weapons.
But during the day it's not adviseable. The thing is, it's one of the only accessible places to raise the dead for low level caliban atm.

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 09:03:01 PM »
The Drain is -supposed- to be getting an NPC to raise dead soon.