Author Topic: Changlings / Pathfinder  (Read 5155 times)

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
Changlings / Pathfinder
« on: January 01, 2013, 01:49:02 AM »
This is a poll to see if there is interest in implementing the Pathfinder changling class into the PotM-specific lore.  Why this? Implementing rare races from other settings that may need an application might be too much effort for what it's worth.  However modifying PotM specific canon to implement it as a race in areas prevalent with hags might be more interesting.  Since apparently hags themselves are too powerful as MPCs, perhaps there may be a danger of losing changling characters if they succumb to becoming hags or something worked out.

Also, MOAR Pathfinder world support?

There's Yes and No, and then there's a More and Don't care vote for pathfinder setting support.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advancedRaceGuide/uncommonRaces/changelings.html
Istavan Donner

Major Tom

• Undead Master
  • "Nobody has margaritas with pizza!"
Re: Changlings / Pathfinder
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 02:07:02 AM »
Changelings don't really fit in as being native Ravenloft creatures, given that Ravenloft has its own rules and its own ecology regarding Hags and their own propagation (which I had stressed 'til blue in the face but kept getting ignored on) - so I voted 'No.'
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:08:55 AM by Major Tom »

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 07:46:58 AM »
No Pathfinder at all, no thank you.

Further to that, the poll is moot. The official stance is it won't happen, so it won't happen.
A most troublesome Fox.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 10:45:31 AM »
This is ravenloft  it shouldn't be mixed

If you start with 1 thing soon another  follows
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 12:00:19 PM »
This is ravenloft  it shouldn't be mixed
If you start with 1 thing soon another  follows

Yeah we wouldn't want to mix anything up with some other settings like Forgotten Realms.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 12:21:37 PM by Time_Stomped »
Istavan Donner

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
Eh FR Outlanders are part of the backdrop of Ravenloft lore. Same for Dragonlance. Not so sure about Eberron.

Never heard anything about Pathfinder though.
A most troublesome Fox.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 12:28:34 PM »
It seems unwise to start mixing DnD realms with Pathfinder. Nothing against pathfinder but I'm pretty sure things are balanced differently.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 12:30:57 PM »
Eh FR Outlanders are part of the backdrop of Ravenloft lore. Same for Dragonlance. Not so sure about Eberron.

Never heard anything about Pathfinder though.

Eberron and Pathfinder came out after Ravenloft came out, so they could not be used.

also tom can you explain more on how Hags are made?

and RedwizardD: I am running eberron((dnd realm)) with savage worlds, a completly different system :P

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »

Eberron and Pathfinder came out after Ravenloft came out, so they could not be used.

and RedwizardD: I am running eberron((dnd realm)) with savage worlds, a completly different system :P

Eberron is also a DnD-based setting, alongside of Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Planescape, Forgotten Realms, and so on.

Pathfinder is not.

Ravenloft also comes from a time pre-4th Ed. when the Great Wheel cosmology existed (i.e. before WotC fucked it all up), when those worlds all existed as part of the Multiverse. Pathfinder, again, is completely seperate from this cosmology. In fact, if memory serves, Pathfinder was developed expressly because of 4th Ed. fucking it all up, and was a medium for players of 3.5 to jump ship to. It's the same gameplay system, but not the same cosmology. Unless we're also going to start including Warhammer, and the Vampire: The Masquerade settings into the mix now too.

And I did state how Hags are made in the Ravenloft setting. Several times. In the other thread. Where everyone ignored my pointing it out. :l Everyone 'cept Bluebomber.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 01:17:26 PM by Major Tom »

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »

Eberron is also a DnD-based setting, alongside of Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Planescape, Forgotten Realms, and so on.

Pathfinder is not.

Ravenloft also comes from a time pre-4th Ed. when the Great Wheel cosmology existed (i.e. before WotC fucked it all up), when those worlds all existed as part of the Multiverse. Pathfinder, again, is completely seperate from this cosmology. Unless we're also going to start including Warhammer, and the Vampire: The Masquerade settings into the mix now too.

And I did state how Hags are made in the Ravenloft setting. Several times. In the other thread. Where everyone ignored my pointing it out. :l Everyone 'cept Bluebomber.

We got characters from eberron, tamerial, and so on. :P

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 01:24:50 PM »
..you didn't read what I said, did you.. *Facepalm*

DnD Multiverse/Cosmology as of 2nd~3.5 Edition = Eberron, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Planescape, Ravenloft
Pathfinder Universe/Cosmology = Pathfinder

Totally separate universes and cosmologies.

Zhernebog

• Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 01:27:42 PM »
It seems unwise to start mixing DnD realms with Pathfinder.
Offshoot of dnd=Not okay
Character from the elder scrolls series=GENIUS

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 01:28:58 PM »
..you didn't read what I said, did you.. *Facepalm*

DnD Multiverse/Cosmology as of 2nd~3.5 Edition = Eberron, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Planescape, Ravenloft
Pathfinder Universe/Cosmology = Pathfinder

Totally separate universes and cosmologies.

Eberron has a different cosmology
Forgotten realms has had multiple different variations on the cosmology
not sure on Dragonlance,
ravenloft, planescape and greyhawk have the same great wheel cosmology i believe.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 01:36:23 PM »
I can see a player character coming from a pathfinder universe maybe, heck met enough players in game which come from places that they state I've never even heard of. I'm pretty sure players totally make up these worlds they are coming from to be honest. Perhaps they were home brew worlds they played in a D&D PnP session, who knows. I know my knowledge of FR, Dragonlance and so on is some what limited but I can still recognise the place names and so forth. Thus don't think its much of stretch for a player character to be nabbed by the mists.

That said I know nothing of the Pathfinder cosmology, so far as I know it may just be too different to even have a PC from that game system enter the mists. No idea really, never really looked at it. My PnP days ended with the inception of 3rd Ed D&D, and I've not played or even looked at any other system since then. On a personal note, 2nd Ed is my favourite and always will be... Oh the memories  :mrgreen:

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 01:42:10 PM »
Personally I find Azeroth is under-represented. Can the next domain be Northrend? Arthas would make an awesome dark lord.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 01:53:34 PM »
It seems unwise to start mixing DnD realms with Pathfinder. Nothing against pathfinder but I'm pretty sure things are balanced differently.

No need to implement all the technicalities of the basic character, just the flavor of the setting.  The difficulty of the environment here is much greater than any character advantage that would have existed in the first place.  Pathfinders characters themselves are generally always non-evil and not supportive of evil.  It would be like how paladins have an "advantage" because of all the undead, except PFers don't have a known lodge anymore which means their resources (where a lot of the power is) are mostly gone.
Istavan Donner

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 02:08:16 PM »

Eberron has a different cosmology
Forgotten realms has had multiple different variations on the cosmology
not sure on Dragonlance,
ravenloft, planescape and greyhawk have the same great wheel cosmology i believe.

Planescape, by its design, incorporates Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Dragonlance and Greyhawk, as well as Ravenloft.
Planescape Multiverse map of the Planar layout. Kindly note where it points to Toril (the name of the planet wherein all of Forgotten Realms' adventures happen) in the Prime Material Planes. Also note Athas and Krynn are also floating around in that same Prime Material space. Also the Demiplanes.

They are all part of the same Multiverse. Pathfinder isn't, because it's not a DnD product.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 02:13:32 PM »
Realms 3rd edition cosmology does not fit with that.
Spoiler: show

Eberron Cosmology is rather different.
Spoiler: show

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 02:22:34 PM »
That's 'cause by 3rd Ed. they were already starting to phase out all of the previous content, such as Planescape, and Ravenloft - especially Planescape. Because their new Lords and Masters, Wizards of the Coast, were insistent upon pushing Forgotten Realms and Eberron onto players at events and advertising, and kept giving Planescape, and Ravenloft, the shaft on a regular basis. So make of that whatever you will - Planescape was never incompatible with 3rd. Ed. It was just that WotC were intentionally trying to kill it (popular theory is that, like Firefly, it was too awesome for its own good). This isn't the first time of WotC ignoring player interests in favor of pushing what they personally thought was a 'better product'. They also kept ignoring player interest in d20 Modern.

So yeah. Map is still valid, if simply because Planescape never stopped being relevant to the Cosmology of 3rd Ed. Even though WotC went out of their way to try and kill it dead.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 02:42:30 PM »
Personally I find Azeroth is under-represented. Can the next domain be Northrend? Arthas would make an awesome dark lord.

Does that mean my dwarf gets a gun ?
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 02:47:29 PM »

Maybe we'll raise the level cap to 70, and change the numerics so 10 damage shows up as 1000, so players can trick themselves into thinking they're awesome. It'll be great. Just like 4th Ed. and WoW!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:50:28 PM by Major Tom »

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »

Maybe we'll raise the level cap to 70, and change the numerics so 10 damage shows up as 1000, so players can trick themselves into thinking they're awesome. It'll be great. Just like 4th Ed. and WoW!

Can you add that option to the poll?  I voted for both "no" options,  but that might just sway me.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 03:10:36 PM »
Dude you're behind 3 expansions the cap is now 90 and is all about helping pandas kill insects, yaks, and spirit goo. And you can tame pets. I think this would be a positive addition to PotM, it would give caster classes more options for familiars.

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »
Anthromorphic pandas running up and down Vallaki, killing insects while doing 1000 damage per hit?

Gentlemen, we might be on to something.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 03:21:12 PM »
Anthromorphic pandas running up and down Vallaki, killing insects while doing 1000 damage per hit?

Gentlemen, we might be on to something.

Really it's not so different than all of the Rokumese characters running about.