You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Were-bat as a playable monster race.  (Read 17697 times)

Feronius

• Dark Power
Re: Were-bat as a playable monster race.
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2013, 02:59:26 PM »
I'd assume a werebat would bully lesser undead, treating them as inferiors that should act as its subordinates. They strike me as particularly sinister forms of lycanthropes, as opposed to the brute force savagery of, say, a werewolf.

I don't know, I reckon they would be quite savage since they relish in the lycanthropy.
But they're probably frighteningly intelligent in their savage actions still, not blinded by rage as you'd expect a wereboar or so to be.

Major Tom

• Undead Master
  • "Nobody has margaritas with pizza!"
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2013, 03:04:11 PM »
Well, that's sorta what I meant. Savage, feral mindless bloodrage like that of a werewolf, or a wereboar, mightn't be what they do - but in turn they allow themselves to sink into depravity.

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2013, 06:18:18 PM »

- Aren't bats carrion eaters (omnivores in the broadest sense of the word)? Give them a corpsedevouring / regen ability much like the ghouls have?

Nope.

Most bats eat insects or fruit exclusively with a very small minority praying on larger animals. (or the few vampire bat species that drink blood)  I don't think any bats are omnivores or carrion eaters.  If you wanted a carrion-eater animal, wolves, rats and (surprisingly) boars, all commonly eat carrion.

Werebats have a preference for raw meat, not carrion.  
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 06:21:18 PM by LackofCertainty »

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2013, 06:30:32 PM »

- Aren't bats carrion eaters (omnivores in the broadest sense of the word)? Give them a corpsedevouring / regen ability much like the ghouls have?

Nope.

Most bats eat insects or fruit exclusively with a very small minority praying on larger animals. (or the few vampire bat species that drink blood)  I don't think any bats are omnivores or carrion eaters.  If you wanted a carrion-eater animal, wolves, rats and (surprisingly) boars, all commonly eat carrion.

Werebats have a preference for raw meat, not carrion.   
Correct. I don't know how one would think bats are carrion eaters, that doesn't make any sense. Their bodies are extremely clumsy on the ground and the bodies of most bat species developed to eat while flying -- echolocation/radar is used to locate tiny insects in the dark, for example.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 08:24:45 PM by Bluebomber4evr »

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2013, 06:40:15 PM »
I could be wrong, but I imagine the bat strain that werebats become is that of a vampire bat, so they drink blood and eat flesh?

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2013, 11:36:41 PM »
Ehmm.. I came by it because there's actually a bat species in the game, that.. I only just now realised doesn't feed on carrion. I remembered the description wrong, it feeds on the things attracted to carrion. Still, feeding on carrion eaters (insects, maggots, rats) and / or drinking blood in a much similar mechanic like the corpsedevouring ability the ghoul have could still make sense and be a nice addition. Balancing out their lack in combat effectiveness a tiny bit?

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2013, 11:40:26 PM »
Ehmm.. I came by it because there's actually a bat species in the game, that.. I only just now realised doesn't feed on carrion. I remembered the description wrong, it feeds on the things attracted to carrion. Still, feeding on carrion eaters (insects, maggots, rats) and / or drinking blood in a much similar mechanic like the corpsedevouring ability the ghoul have could still make sense and be a nice addition. Balancing out their lack in combat effectiveness a tiny bit?

If you want a carrion eater we might as well go for were-panda.

Anyhoo, I like werebats, I'd play one! I'd still love a quick travel system for flying PCs, but it'd probably be hell to script. :)

To, in summary: +1 werebats! We have the models already, is it hard to substitute that into our current werebeast template script?

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2013, 02:27:38 AM »

Uh? Not that there's such a thing as a werepanda anyway, but pandas subsist entirely on bamboo (which is what precludes them from being a lycanthrope type).

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2013, 07:04:51 AM »
Spoiler: show

Uh? Not that there's such a thing as a werepanda anyway, but pandas subsist entirely on bamboo (which is what precludes them from being a lycanthrope type).

Common misconception, but pandas will eat carrion when they find it; It's a better energy source for them than bamboo, which, in honesty, is crap for large mammals. That's why they eat for about 16 hours a day, and sleep the rest. Panda bears are not classed as herbivorous, but rather they are carnivoran and has a carnivores digestive tract.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_panda#Feeding
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivora
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/bears/panda/information.php
Nobody should ever forget: All bears are bears.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6ctjcN33Gw[/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:18:14 AM by Amon-Si »

Daboomer

• Dark Power
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2013, 07:18:38 AM »

Lol, sorry blue, but pandas will eat carrion when they find it! It's a better energy source for them than bamboo, which, in honesty, is crap for large mammals. That's why they eat for about 16 hours a day, and sleep the rest. Panda bears are not classed as herbivorous, but rather is a carnivoran and has a carnivores digestive tract.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_panda#Feeding
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivora
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/bears/panda/information.php
Nobody should ever forget: All bears are bears.

Pandas are tricky animals. They seem to have adopted to an almost complete vegetarian diet despite the fact it's not giving them enough nutrition. Also, they are both black and white in colour and it seems a bunch of people speculate about there sex life. My conclusion is that pandas therefore are somewhat related to the late Mr Jacksson. I do not believe he was a vegetarian though?

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2013, 08:18:16 AM »
You guys shouldn't paint pandas in black and white so much, there is such a thing as an omnivore still.
Or in the case of the panda, more like a carnivore of convenience I guess.

There are a bunch of movies with pandas befriending children, so they -are- suspiciously much like a certain mr. Jackson indeed, hmm....

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2013, 02:33:15 PM »
Pandas also happen to be one of the only species destined to extinction solely because they're just that lazy and apathetic that they can't even be bothered to mate and propagate their own kind.

It's the equivalent of being the last man and woman on Earth and the man can't be arsed to get it up because he's busy sitting on the sofa, wolfing down Cheetos.

airengale

• Dark Lord
  • Security, is mortals' chiefest enemy.
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2013, 03:52:44 PM »
I never really expected werebats to have anything added to them to make them more powerful, and flying in general is a whole other topic, because it isn't just MPCs that can fly or have wings.

Werebat's strength is their ability to fight aerial battles, and what I imagined using them for was targeted towards a lower level interaction. Having them fly would merely be role played out, and that's just as good too. We have an imagination, yay :)

I could understand the desire to make them more powerful though, they certainly may be lacking in something.  All I could really assume will happen, for balancing, would have them hasted even in their Hybrid form to simulate that they are, indeed, typically in flight.

Sethraan Synne - "The righteous will receive their reward."
Horatiu Bochinsky - "It's just a job."
Aleah Althanos - "Today is a glorious day to die!"