You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Were-bat as a playable monster race.  (Read 17700 times)

Major Tom

• Undead Master
  • "Nobody has margaritas with pizza!"
Re: Were-bat as a playable monster race.
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 07:07:48 PM »
Well, it's only undesirable due to the current six month thing for an MPC. But then, hasn't the constant argument in favor of that been that it's a 'soft' time limit, or whatever?

In response, towards hags having a process of being developed over a long period of time, that development is done as a player. Only once achieving the template does the timer begin. As an MPC, you must be a player first and your story must have made sense to lead up to being the desired MPC. All that development is before the six months timer.

Only problem is that even after becoming hags, they'd continue their steady, methodical and intelligent approaches to things. Not the 'leap out of the shadows in front of a crowd of adventurers and go OOGABOOGAOOGABUGGABOO!!!! then run away and hope they don't die immediately' method of play like MPCs right now are, in a nutshell, expected to be. Hell, Scurvy was awesome, but in the end I don't think anyone feared him. It's not exactly fear when someone says 'I think I saw Scurvy!' and rather than people looking worried and fearful, seven to ten adventurers pick up arms to form a lynch mob and go hunt him down. In the woods. In the middle of the night. That's not fear, but that's pretty much what's expected of MPCs as such.

Which is why I make the point of the only obstacle standing in a Hag MPC's way is the fact that they WON'T be the 'leap out in front of you, declaring their nature' sorts. Hell, Hags would probably be the safest MPCs to play due to the simple fact that they, by their nature, are reclusive and keep to themselves, in their covens, only coming out when it's necessary to further their plots and their schemes.

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

Shadowthrone

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »
The only thing preventing the addition of more monster templates is the lack of scripters with the time and/or inclination to create them. If anyone with scripting knowledge wishes to assist then I encourage them to apply to the development team.

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 07:25:31 PM »
Unfortunately, my talents lie in lore, writing and building. I suck at scripting.

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 07:32:12 PM »
The only thing preventing the addition of more monster templates is the lack of scripters with the time and/or inclination to create them. If anyone with scripting knowledge wishes to assist then I encourage them to apply to the development team.

I have a good programming background so I'd be happy to take up the Lich but I have no idea about NWN scripting. Any suggestions for resources to learn from it? Is the language C++?
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2012, 07:35:40 PM »
I believe the language is indeed, C++

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »
It uses C syntax basically, not a full fletched programming language.

I'd play with some scripting myself if there was a convenient way to access the toolset or develop in any way in Linux. Hate to have to reinstall the whole game in wine or in a VM just to get to the toolset.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 07:49:48 PM »
I think Scurvy's issue in regards to not being feared was height related.
Something that reaches only your waist simply calls to be patted! Aww.

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 07:50:26 PM »
I do find it odd that you need to write out an application for the "privilege" of producing resources for the server instead of just being able to do it and pass to someone to check out and greenflag or redflag as is appropriate.
A most troublesome Fox.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 05:44:02 AM »
I do find it odd that you need to write out an application for the "privilege" of producing resources for the server instead of just being able to do it and pass to someone to check out and greenflag or redflag as is appropriate.

Kind of makes sense, a lot of it. If you look at the priviliges you get and not to forgot how much stronger they are to most regular PCs.
Else it'd be a server swarmed by vampires solorunning every dungeon in no time, while spamming yellow text (@voice command) in unison.

airengale

• Dark Lord
  • Security, is mortals' chiefest enemy.
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2012, 06:05:20 AM »

Kind of makes sense, a lot of it. If you look at the priviliges you get and not to forgot how much stronger they are to most regular PCs.
Else it'd be a server swarmed by vampires solorunning every dungeon in no time, while spamming yellow text (@voice command) in unison.

I believe he's speaking about being a developer; there is an application process.

Sethraan Synne - "The righteous will receive their reward."
Horatiu Bochinsky - "It's just a job."
Aleah Althanos - "Today is a glorious day to die!"

Squeak

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2012, 06:35:55 AM »

I have a good programming background so I'd be happy to take up the Lich but I have no idea about NWN scripting. Any suggestions for resources to learn from it? Is the language C++?

It's similar and I'd suggest  http://www.nwnlexicon.com/index.php/Main_Page

Squeak.

dark_majico

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2012, 06:44:45 AM »
I think Hag, Werebat (even without the ability to fly) and Litch would be awesome additions to the MPC lists. They are not just cool templates they fit perfectly within the setting.

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2012, 10:32:04 AM »
Yes, I was talking about Dev work.
A most troublesome Fox.

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2012, 03:57:14 PM »
Half-Golem is the best non-undead, non-lycanthrope suggestion I've heard.  iirc it even has an insanity/alignment changing possibility that'd really make it fit into a horror setting.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2012, 05:08:12 PM »
Thing you could do with a hag, also, is use their witchcraft to give the 'illusion' of looking like they did before transforming into a hag, in order to wander around freely. Then, when exposed, the veil is dropped and they transform into their true hag form. And since hags function best in covens, you could have a thriving witch community going - you could even have regular, non-MPC players acting as 'apprentice' witches to the hags, hoping for their chance to ascend and become more powerful themselves.

Changlings aren't necessarily willing or knowledgeable about their condition.  There is no veil, not all changlings will be hags.
Istavan Donner

TornFear

• Crit-Magnet
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2012, 05:20:58 PM »
Half-Golem is the best non-undead, non-lycanthrope suggestion I've heard.  iirc it even has an insanity/alignment changing possibility that'd really make it fit into a horror setting.

Heck yeah. Frankenstein's Monster style!

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2012, 05:54:05 PM »
Thing you could do with a hag, also, is use their witchcraft to give the 'illusion' of looking like they did before transforming into a hag, in order to wander around freely. Then, when exposed, the veil is dropped and they transform into their true hag form. And since hags function best in covens, you could have a thriving witch community going - you could even have regular, non-MPC players acting as 'apprentice' witches to the hags, hoping for their chance to ascend and become more powerful themselves.

Changlings aren't necessarily willing or knowledgeable about their condition.  There is no veil, not all changlings will be hags.

Nowhere in my post did I refer to changelings. I was speaking strictly in terms of hags.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2012, 06:08:49 PM »
Werebats would be okay.

No PC liches (too epic), no half-golems (too complicated for the NWN engine), no PC ghosts (too powerful and too complicated for the NWN engine), and no PC hags (too powerful)

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2012, 06:09:33 PM »
Werebats would be okay.

No PC liches (too epic), no half-golems (too complicated for the NWN engine), no PC ghosts (too powerful and too complicated for the NWN engine), and no PC hags (too powerful)

...How about Wereminks?

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2012, 06:09:57 PM »
So will werebats be able to fly, or..?

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2012, 06:11:37 PM »
bluebomber, what about changelings? I can not remember what they get in ravenloft, though the pathfinder changelings are daughters of Hags with some minor abilities. They capture the creepy/folkloric feeling of them quite well.

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2012, 06:13:14 PM »
I predict: No.

So yeah, will werebats be able to fly? Since that's sort of their defining 'thing'. Werebears are singular tanks, werewolves are pack beasts that can grow in power quickly, wererats are zerg rushers, and werebats can fly.

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2012, 06:55:11 PM »
In standard D&D 3.5 General / Races of Eberron, Changelings are descended from Doppelgangers, having become their own independent race over time.
A most troublesome Fox.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2012, 06:57:24 PM »
In standard D&D 3.5 General / Races of Eberron, Changelings are descended from Doppelgangers, having become their own independent race over time.

Changelings are something in ravenloft, I can not remember what they are.
Changelings are the daughters of hags in Pathfinder, minor abilities since they are not hags yet.
Changelings are doppleganger/descended from dopllegangers in eberron

could be confusing :P

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2012, 07:40:20 PM »
The sort of simpler (?) system or mechanism for flying MPCs and PCs as suggested earlier in this thread would add great appeal to them as well as enjoyment for all for the roleplay they create.  Escaping, dropping in aerially from stage left, makes for more, less than stand up fights, I especially liked the %100 piercing damage increase since holes in your wings are bad, perhaps when you fall you're "Subdued," so there be some roleplay in there as well.