You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Were-bat as a playable monster race.  (Read 17822 times)

airengale

• Dark Lord
  • Security, is mortals' chiefest enemy.
Were-bat as a playable monster race.
« on: December 28, 2012, 05:59:27 AM »
"The current playable Monstrous subraces are: Ghoul, Mummy, Vampire, Werebear, Wereboar, Werejackal, Wereleopard, Wererat, Wereraven, Werewolf and Wight. We may add more in the future." - Blue

I'm interested in seeing werebat as one of the playable races. Perhaps that's something that a dev can implement if they feel up to the task. If there is a specific reason as to why it will not be added, then I'd love to discuss it. :)

Sethraan Synne - "The righteous will receive their reward."
Horatiu Bochinsky - "It's just a job."
Aleah Althanos - "Today is a glorious day to die!"

Major Tom

• Undead Master
  • "Nobody has margaritas with pizza!"
Re: Were-bat as a playable monster race.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 06:08:11 AM »
I wonder if wereravens have the ability to 'Fly' to different regions.. and if they do, how nice it'd be if werebats, should they be implemented, would share in that ability. After all, that does sort of strike me as the number one benefit of the two werebeast types; they are aerial in nature, and thus have the best mobility traits.

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 08:42:12 AM »
I've always been interested in the werebats myself, so I'd obviously root for them to be the next MPC template.

Although it would also be nice to perhaps have an MPC that isn't either a lycanthrope or undead for a change.
Such as a goblin, ogre, troll or something along those lines. Although I am guessing the requirement for MPCs is that they were once PCs, which is why they're all either undead or lycanthropes..?

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 09:26:54 AM »
Well, if people would like, I could dig out a few acquired templates. Try to avoid undeath / lycanthropy. Though it would be thread derailment.
A most troublesome Fox.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 09:55:28 AM »
Changling / Hag MPC?
Istavan Donner

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 10:48:15 AM »
Changling / Hag MPC?

That's a pretty good one, a hag kind of MPC falls outside of those bounds but still used to be a normal human, right?

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 11:00:54 AM »
Ghost Template is a possible but given we have the whole whitelight wandering spirit thing that probably is a no go.
A most troublesome Fox.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 11:03:43 AM »
Ghost Template is a possible but given we have the whole whitelight wandering spirit thing that probably is a no go.

Hypothetically, isn't EVERYONE capable of being a ghost? <_<
: )

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 11:05:13 AM »
It has a minimum Charisma requirement to be able to actually manifest your spirit in a form capable of independant thought and action, rather than a static projection.
A most troublesome Fox.

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »
Just digging through my monster manuals, hauling things out for discussion as I go.

Lich is another acquired template, though it's undead so I imagine people aren't keen for more of those.

More Undead possibles; Mohrg (A villain or mass-murderer that died without atonement). Surprised we don't have these lol.

Also, Awakened Undead (i.e. Skeletons & Zombies with an intelligence score, the unfortunate victims of Necromancers)

Spectre, Allip, Wraith.

Banshee

Effigy.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:34:59 AM by Silverfox »
A most troublesome Fox.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 11:23:36 AM »
Honestly, Lich sounds like more fun than some of the existing undead MPC "classes" we have. Certainly it sounds more setting appropriate for some places than Mummies. Heck, it's extremely thematic for aging casters to try to become liches...
Spoiler: show
There's even a book you can acquire IC about it.

Most of the abilities listed here seem fairly do-able:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Lich_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)

The only complication is how to deal with the phylactery, since that may require a lot of DM involvement -- but that's not necessarily an unsurmountable obstacle.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 11:36:23 AM »
Yeah Lich sounds fantastic. I'll keep building to my list - If anyone would like me to extrapolate on what something is, do just say.

...Yet more Undead possibilities;

Famine Spirit
Spawn of Kyuss

Some Abberations;

Illithid, Half-Illithid, Meenlock
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:43:07 AM by Silverfox »
A most troublesome Fox.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 11:50:51 AM »
Changling / Hag MPC?

That's a pretty good one, a hag kind of MPC falls outside of those bounds but still used to be a normal human, right?

They are never really normal humans at all pre-hag, the PC would have to be a changling or become one.  Changling would be a special subrace.
Istavan Donner

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 11:55:19 AM »
Construct Template "Captured One", "Half-Golem" (Yes this is acquired)

Undead Template; "Death Knight", "Spellstitched", Deathshrieker, Drowned,

Abberation; Spellwarped
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:32:17 PM by Silverfox »
A most troublesome Fox.

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 02:13:03 PM »
Changling / Hag MPC?

They are never really normal humans at all pre-hag, the PC would have to be a changling or become one.  Changling would be a special subrace.

Actually, the Ravenloft books themselves make note of how certain hags are capable of transforming females of other races into hags as part of a full-moon ritual (or some other lunar cycle date). Depending on the subtype of the witch, different races may apply - for example, night hags can transform anyone. I think green hags can transform elves and humans. I'ma need to cross-reference the materials again, but yeah, it's most certainly listed there that a hag can transform a female of a particular race into a member of the hag race.

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 02:47:51 PM »
Hag remains one of the most interesting suggestions for playable MPC given over time... :)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 03:15:49 PM »
Hag remains one of the most interesting suggestions for playable MPC given over time... :)

I would love to play a hag or a changeling!

airengale

• Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 04:25:47 PM »
Hag and Changeling sound really cool, and so does lich. I believe Vasalich, which is a lesser ally of the lich, seems more appropriate for a player to be.

In regards to Werebat, I just thought it would be easy to implement and give more options to those thinking of playing an MPC.

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 04:26:12 PM »
Thing you could do with a hag, also, is use their witchcraft to give the 'illusion' of looking like they did before transforming into a hag, in order to wander around freely. Then, when exposed, the veil is dropped and they transform into their true hag form. And since hags function best in covens, you could have a thriving witch community going - you could even have regular, non-MPC players acting as 'apprentice' witches to the hags, hoping for their chance to ascend and become more powerful themselves.

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 04:35:41 PM »
Hags develop/are developed over years or long term though, which may be unsuitable for the desired longevity of MPCs.

Werebat is ripe for opportunity, I'd love to see a famous werebat PC harrowing the night.

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 04:39:45 PM »
Well, it's only undesirable due to the current six month thing for an MPC. But then, hasn't the constant argument in favor of that been that it's a 'soft' time limit, or whatever? Since hags, by their function, are schemers and long-term game planners, who pull the strings and meddle with politics, you could probably get plenty of extensions if you were portraying a coven that was meddling with stuff behind the scenes.

Of course, that's assuming that behind the scenes, string-pulling MPCs are still allowed, and the arguments of the server only wanting 'burn bright, die fast' MPCs to serve as little more than chopping wood for the playerbase are entirely unfounded - so you tell me.

BalorVale

• Undead Master
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 04:46:49 PM »
I suggest a system for were-bats, it would increase the longevity and help them live longer (Perhaps even for were-ravens and other flying PC's) that as a special feat 1, they "Take off" doing the take off animation, they gain increased stealth as a vampire would RPing being high in the sky and therefore difficult to spot. When they land, (Cancel Polymorph or what have you) They do the landing animation to represent that they have indeed landed ICly from their trip in the sky. I suggest in this form they gain,

- Haste (To represent that flying is indeed faster than walking or running)

- Damage Vulnerability Piercing 100% (So that being shot down is possible as even a minor tear in a wing can ruin your ability to fly)

They could of course only do this is outdoor maps and it would allow flying to look more real without implementing an entirely new system altogether. 

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 04:49:07 PM »
I think a Banshee or incorporeal Undead could really bring some value to the server, or...

Meenlocks. Meenlocks would be pretty cool. Humanoids that have been dragged away from their lives to suffer a mutation into wretched mockeries of their former existance. Very gothic drama. Same token with Spellwarped. Just...something other than Undead or Lycanthropes would be nice lol.
A most troublesome Fox.

airengale

• Dark Lord
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 05:02:07 PM »
Well, it's only undesirable due to the current six month thing for an MPC. But then, hasn't the constant argument in favor of that been that it's a 'soft' time limit, or whatever?

In response, towards hags having a process of being developed over a long period of time, that development is done as a player. Only once achieving the template does the timer begin. As an MPC, you must be a player first and your story must have made sense to lead up to being the desired MPC. All that development is before the six months timer.

I know a certain player whose story would have led her to being a Hag, and it would have been very appropriate. I'm sure she would have enjoyed it too. Hag seems like it would be an excellent addition.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 05:03:32 PM »
Looking over the second gazetteer has shown an interesting thing for an AMPC, Adam's Children.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."