Author Topic: Attune Gem  (Read 22705 times)

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
Re: Attune Gem
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2013, 11:46:53 AM »
I've been meleeing as a mage since like, level 6. You'll never be as good as a fighter, but that doesn't mean you can't do it.

Also, other mages will ridicule you mercilessly.
: )

Badelaire

« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2013, 09:13:34 PM »
I've been meleeing as a mage since like, level 6. You'll never be as good as a fighter, but that doesn't mean you can't do it.

Ironic since Alexias wrote the book on reactionary wizards and how not to be a one trick pony. A mage for all seasons. <3

In her words:

"Many use magic, fewer will ever understand it."
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:17:23 PM by Badelaire »

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2013, 04:41:56 AM »

Ironic since Alexias wrote the book on reactionary wizards and how not to be a one trick pony. A mage for all seasons. <3

In her words:

"Many use magic, fewer will ever understand it."

I'm sure you have that catalogued in some Alexias fanbook. Stalker.

Edit: POST NUMBER 1000, WOOT

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2013, 04:44:28 AM »

Laugh at Gandalf. I dare you. Sure, he isn't going to be Aragorn with a blade, but he still kills a few goblins, oh, and stand up to Baalrogs.

Major Tom

• Undead Master
  • "Nobody has margaritas with pizza!"
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2013, 04:45:53 AM »
Gandalf doesn't freakin' count. He's a level 30 Solar, shapechanged to look like a Human.

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2013, 05:30:58 AM »
War Wizards of Cormyr (and even the prestige class) is another example of a faction of mages who expect martial training. They're a bit more real than Gandalf. Eldritch Knights, Spellswords, just some more PRCs where melee wizards were 'encouraged.' Like I mentioned, you don't have to be the best at something just to be able to do it. Its about playing a character, and if by chance, in the case of my own character, someone decided to teach you to use a sword and shield to defend yourself in the circumstances you might not always have a spellbook to protect you, It led to some rather indepth roleplay.

In terms of mechanics, a level 6 wizard is roughly the same as a level 3 fighter.. just slightly less HP and less armor.

When you look at things in a longer term.. A level 12 wizard is a level 6 fighter, but might have access to certain utility that can't be cast on the fighter. Globe of Invulnerability is the big suggestion, one of the -best- utility to have in some of more difficult places.

I shall just assume you've never dungeoned with me, or anyone else who knows how to pass off a rather decent melee-mage. (We are a few minority)

Would you like to ridicule me for taking Exotic Weapon, Light Armor, and Shield Proficiency as a wizard?

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2013, 05:33:26 AM »
Well, I wouldn't, but that's because I'm hopelessly struggling to pull off my own type of spell-sword roleplay with Poet and such. It's pretty tough, especially since I'm built for roleplay, not for survival-at-all-costs.

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2013, 05:34:58 AM »
Well, I wouldn't, but that's because I'm hopelessly struggling to pull off my own type of spell-sword roleplay with Poet and such. It's pretty tough, especially since I'm built for roleplay, not for survival-at-all-costs.

I was a 15int / 16cha at creation, so I wouldn't call my own build 'the best' for wizards.

Major Tom

• Undead Master
« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2013, 05:39:33 AM »
Well, I'm runnin' 14 across the board, save for Wisdom. Currently a level 11 Bard/Fighter. So yeah.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2013, 11:47:40 AM »
also for the war wizard stuff, in Eberron, it would not be out of place for war-mages, or mages whose magic is for the battlefield, to have some martial training; there was a war that lasted over a 100 years so war-mages just might have some martial training. Particularly Karrn war-mages who are officers would have had training at Rekkenmark to become officers, and thus some martial training.

also mages get ever stat buff, That I suppose can help a lot in evening the field out for fighter mages :)

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2013, 12:52:52 PM »
I had remarkable success just putting 4 levels in fighter for the specialization and going the rest sorcerer.  Worked wonders, really.

Green Monster

• Undead Master
  • Nougat-pilfering cheese-cretin
« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2013, 03:42:21 PM »
I just fail to see how having dozens upon dozens of loot table items with spell effects is better than having player crafted ones.
Sadie Halloway (nope, no giant graphic, sorry ;-P )

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #137 on: January 20, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »
There aren't really dozen of spell items, and those are limited based on how many you can find.. which because of how spawn timers work, rather limited. When you look at potion brewing, you are only limited to the amount of herbs you can find, which in turn is limited again by only being readily avaliable half the seasons. Arrows? You can only shoot so many, thus, has its limits.. but when you start adding spell crafting (and even scroll/wand making) there is a powerful mechanic that can be limited only by wealth.

Scroll scribing doesn't exist so their isn't people with tons of money running around with unlimited stacks of timestop scrolls.. The attune gem system worked on CoA because their economy was way limited to the extend that magic-consumables actually had a limiting-cost. In a world where people can knock out 50,000g in an hour.. those 1-2k wands, or 9th level scribe scrolls, or those level 5 spell gems would be in abundance.

Green Monster

• Undead Master
« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2013, 07:45:59 PM »
On other servers, in order for my bard with craft wand feat to get supplies together for some adventuring, she buys a blank wand, casts Cure Serious Wounds on it, and gets in return an item called "incomplete wand" which she then takes to a crafting station to pay a bit of xp and a lot of gold to have it turned into a wand of Cure Serious Wounds.  Then, I rest and do the same thing with Ghostly Visage. Just four or five minutes of my time, a fair amount of xp lost and a lot of gold spent, and I'm ready to rock with 25 uses of healing and 25 uses of Ghostly Visage that will last me several days. Leaving me with plenty of time for actual adventuring and role-playing, and I have complete control over what wands I have at my disposal.

Here, I spend hours gathering herbs, paying others for herbs, and dithering around at the potions station to get some potions and if I'm very lucky I might get what I want, but it depends entirely on what herbs are found. It's random.

Guess which is more fun. I mean, more fun if you're not a fan of Minecraft.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 07:49:11 PM by Green Monster »

Kaspar

« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2013, 07:58:28 PM »
It only took me a couple hours to get a bag full of cure serious/cure critical potions via methods of farming herbs and buying them. That's over a 100 uses- I also have looted several ghost rods and bought them from passerby merchants. This method didn't cost me any xp and very minimal gold.

On the other hand.

We have an enchanting system. Why not add in enchanting rods with certain spells, few charges, and a balanced xp/gold cost. I say very low xp cost (maybe 100-200 depending on charge amount) because they're expendables. Badbud mentioned in another thread that enchanters lacked a good way to level up the trade. This could offer some decent novice experience.

Green Monster

• Undead Master
« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2013, 08:05:22 PM »
Even a couple of hours is too long to spend on something tedious like gathering herbs and making potions, and you're not counting the countless hours you spent on practice to get to the craft level needed to make those potions. This is a game. It should be fun. Not tedious.

Yes, Vasile, we should be able to attune single-use gems for very minor xp cost (like two or three xp per spell level per gem?) and multi-use wands for much more xp. The xp cost would be worth it because it takes a lot less time and enables us to get on with having actual fun.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2013, 08:44:41 PM »
I would rather not see tons of consumables used by everybody everywhere, and instead would like to see people actually utilizing a party dynamic - E.G., people going and questing with a balanced party. Additionally, herbalism is perhaps the easiest crafting skill to master. I'm not sure we need it to be any easier. If anything, it's smithing that needs to be made more accessible.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2013, 08:48:44 PM »
Yeah, I managed to master herbalism very easily as a paladin who was my first PC. Smithing on the other hand is so incredibly dull it makes my brain melt.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Badelaire

« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2013, 09:19:06 PM »
Alchemy and herbalism were by far the quickest progression for me. Smithing was laboriously tedious and usually outdone by most weapons on the loot tables if you're not fussed with going enchanted gear route. Bowyers/fletchers need more love too, they're labour intensive and the craft progression seems slow. I've made something like 20 bows now and not even got off level 1.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2013, 10:48:42 PM »
Smithing is different than the other crafts, and incredibly easy to level if you have access to money and have the capability of grabbing the resources yourself (which are entirely unlimited, unlike other crafts).  I was admittedly level 20 on Sedrik when I started to learn smithing, but I was mastered to the level of being able to make any steel armor by the end of my third day grinding it.  No other craft even comes close to mastering that fast, and it's because of the incredible cost of the full plate template that nearly gives full levels each time items are crafted with it.

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2013, 05:58:41 AM »
Smithing takes weeks of investment if you can't bruteforce plate, which requires you to be high level and/or "twinked" out of the ass.
A most troublesome Fox.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2013, 06:09:34 AM »
Alchemy and herbalism were by far the quickest progression for me. Smithing was laboriously tedious and usually outdone by most weapons on the loot tables if you're not fussed with going enchanted gear route. Bowyers/fletchers need more love too, they're labour intensive and the craft progression seems slow. I've made something like 20 bows now and not even got off level 1.

actually the love exists, just you do not make bows for CP gain. Bows are very low on CP gain, untill you can craft white stag yew shortbows. Thereafter there is a huge difference in the composite bow gain.
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Xarnata

« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2013, 12:57:27 AM »
Perhaps instead of buyable/findable. Make them an alchemy craftable with base gems as a component. "One can release power into the world to create chaos, but the true test is to control power to create order" - IDK. Perhaps as diamonds are 'pure' and have script references already, they could be adapted to this script as a side function. This would limit the number of circles storable, put it in a 'tug of war' with res costs. Each level of gem would require bits from  dangerous targets, making it a hard if near impossible to mass produce object, keeping to the low magic setting.  A simple script could be added and later replaced for a more 'pretty' script. First add alchemy recipie,  then have script that opens a gump then: -Get set spells -Get available spells: Mark as SET SPELLS X -list SET SPELLS X (selectable): Upon selection set R to(# unique to spell), Yes/No gump -set spell (selected) Unavailable (can be replaced with un-set) -run animation: by spell: wait for end animation: run VFX 'magic weapon' run sound 'weapon buff' get R Set SPELLSTONE to R. Add item SPELLSTONE to inventory, Remove Item INERT STONE. Of course fine tune it.