You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Encouraging RP inside the city  (Read 9007 times)

Major Tom

• Undead Master
  • "Nobody has margaritas with pizza!"
Re: Encouraging RP inside the city
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2012, 02:02:30 PM »
rofl No ill intent meant with my commentary. Just I see the misconception a lot, so I tend to jump at it with 'no, no, no!' approach. XD

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2012, 03:44:18 PM »
About ratman, they can be basicly anywhere two greater and some normal surprised me yesterday outside Pavels workshop.

About wolfweres, well not fey creatures, but they are a race, who can inflict the lycantrophy curse on a fellow bit by them or hit by their claws.
And about the forms yes, the infected folks usually inhabit the human form, and either the hybrid or their natural form. (The form in which they were infected)
Two werewolves if mate do not give birth to wolfwere but another werewolf, who though will be able to use all three forms.

The difference with lycans and wolfweres is that the first is vulnerable to silver while the latter to IRON!!!! normal iron if i recall well.
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2012, 03:46:22 PM »
We've among the development team several times discussed that Vallaki could do well being downsized, but it's much less simple than it might appear. A smaller Vallaki wouldn't be preferable if the quality wasn't right and the current areas have been tweaked and tinkered with for years, containing many details and aspects that would have to be included. It also takes time agreeing on what is important and what can be cut down.

In other words, it would be a fairly large project that can't just be gradually worked on and loaded in. Such projects have a tendency to stall rather quickly (that's where the last attempt is at right now).

Major Tom

• Undead Master
  • "Nobody has margaritas with pizza!"
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2012, 04:01:17 PM »
About ratman, they can be basicly anywhere two greater and some normal surprised me yesterday outside Pavels workshop.

About wolfweres, well not fey creatures, but they are a race, who can inflict the lycantrophy curse on a fellow bit by them or hit by their claws.
And about the forms yes, the infected folks usually inhabit the human form, and either the hybrid or their natural form. (The form in which they were infected)
Two werewolves if mate do not give birth to wolfwere but another werewolf, who though will be able to use all three forms.

The difference with lycans and wolfweres is that the first is vulnerable to silver while the latter to IRON!!!! normal iron if i recall well.

Well. My meaning was moreso that wolfweres were closer to fey due to being weak against cold iron and such, but yeah, they are a naturally occurring creature. Wolfweres have three forms, infected humans with lycanthrope have two forms, and pure-bred lycanthropes have three forms, as such. Just for final, definitive clarification. :D

Also, Zarathustra, like Geiger said, there's plenty of us who would be happy to offer our services in terms of helping with the downsize. I'm still tweaking that app I sent you a demo of a few weeks back, so hopefully when it's done and, if it gets approved, I'd certainly be happy to look into working on a downscale of Vallaki, in terms of building, if that'd be something  you and the other devs would be open to.

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2012, 07:08:03 PM »
I'm actually very content to read your replies Zarathustra217, they sound perfectly within reason. (And quite frankly more open towards change than I expected! Awesome)

Making the NPC workday a little longer might seem minor, but I think it's a big gesture that will definitely be a VERY significant positive change.
Assuming an hour is 6 minutes (or 7? I'll stick with 6 for now), you'd open up the window of "moving around outdoors" by an additional 12 min. That's reducing the chance you log on stuck indoors (when the night spawns are up) by a few real life hours(!) every day. Which is massive, shortening the amount of potential wait time for the night time spawns to move away from the doors from a maximum of 72 min to 60 min. Less stressfull rushing to.

And like I said, I do like the closing of the gates and the tense atmosphere city has, I wouldn't want to see that completly removed.
If the spawns could be toned down or more cleverly spread to accomodate RP better, that would be great though.
Right now the city is so dangerous, the gates feel redundant or even counter-productive... trapping the citizens of Vallaki like rats in a cage? A bit ironic.

Like with the Village of Barovia, I don't think Vallaki actually needs to rely on the hostile spawns to add an unwelcoming and gothic horror kind of atmosphere.
The locals / NPCs do a fine enough job acting like (loveable) bastards as it is! And don't forget that more freedom of movement for PCs, also translates into more chances for them to become potential MPC victims. Let's not ignore the added value our Monstrous neighboors can bring to the table when players aren't forced into corners by the hostile NPC mechanics as much, we might even see more MPC encounters away from the outskirts.

I also really like the suggestions Geiger is making, about influence checks, etc. to get across the inhospitable setting. As long as the IC addition to the immersion isn't outweighed by the OoC hinderance. We likely don't want banks to require influence checks with a DC of 20. (The lack of distinctions being made between native and outlanders PCs by the NPCs also worries me, it might lead to very awkward scenarios where Barovians are refused at their own stores, haha)

And maybe a neglectable suggestion here, but in regards to the ideas of downsizing Vallaki...
Would it be helpful if there's a list of all the indoor locations and NPCs within Vallaki? Noting which ones are canon, of clear importance or possibly disposable?
Things like this could easily be done by members of the community and might relieve the devteam of some (boring) preparation and workload?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 07:31:08 PM by Feronius »

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2012, 11:08:42 PM »
Might as well place it here

soren: what do you think of everything be retyped in romanian to help with the alianation? just curious as dementlieu has a similar thing going on.