Author Topic: Charges on 'Barrel of Monkey' Item  (Read 3106 times)

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
Charges on 'Barrel of Monkey' Item
« on: December 17, 2012, 04:10:09 PM »
Seeing some of the discussion going on regarding this item, I've a modest suggestion: Single use item, variable number of apes summoned on use (perhaps 2d4). Something more to consider-- change it so using the barrel breaks invisibility.

I like the concept; it's a malicious item that has potential to enhance RP rather than simply troll other players with, IMO. At 50 charges with one ape (relatively weak creature, IIRC) summoned per use, there's little risk involved in using the item, even when the faction is fixed; the player can simply aim the summon origin far away, or close to something else. Being able to use the item continuously while invisible further makes it so that even innocent intention can quickly become irritating. I'd imagine if the item was made single use with the number of apes summoned an uncertainty, these apes wouldn't be summoned as carelessly as they are now. And if using this item would break invisibility, it remains more of a risk to use.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: Charges on 'Barrel of Monkey' Item
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 04:18:58 PM »
That setup would be too complicated for me to script. I could reduce the charges, or increase the amount of charges a summon costs, or both if it's really all that unbalancing.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Zhernebog

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 04:25:14 PM »
Three seems like a decent number to allow the full experience of the item, the summoning a wild derranged ape that attacks the user, handing it off to someone else to try it themselves, and finally the last charge keeping the item alive for sale.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 04:33:18 PM »
My only problem with the barrels is how common they are.
: )

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 04:34:16 PM »
I'll increase the cost, then.

Dusk

• Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 04:49:12 PM »
Ah, too bad. If ever I could have seen a PC use that item then immediately be mauled by 8 apes, it would have made even the worst of days better.  :twisted:

Glad to see the cost increased, regardless.

Now if only we can get some ant-summoning pants.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 05:47:31 PM »
I say have the system keep track of how many are summoned, if it gets to a certain number they get a dark power check and get apelike characteristic power if they fail.
Istavan Donner

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 05:53:38 PM »
I'll increase the cost, then.

That seems reasonable, although I would personally lean more towards decreasing the droprate in the loot tables, if possible.
And it having 50 charges just seems ridicilous. Is there any reasoning behind it? Reducing the charges will effectively rule out most of the possible abuse.

Dusk

• Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 06:13:39 PM »
And it having 50 charges just seems ridicilous. Is there any reasoning behind it? Reducing the charges will effectively rule out most of the possible abuse.

Unless I misunderstood Blue's post, the cost per summon will be increased, effectively leading to that exact end-- less apes per barrel.

Zhernebog

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 06:22:41 PM »
Ah, too bad. If ever I could have seen a PC use that item then immediately be mauled by 8 apes, it would have made even the worst of days better.  :twisted:

Glad to see the cost increased, regardless.

Now if only we can get some ant-summoning pants.
Now let's not...
Go bananas.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »
Drop the charges to 12, as is traditional.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 06:59:42 PM »

Unless I misunderstood Blue's post, the cost per summon will be increased, effectively leading to that exact end-- less apes per barrel.

Ow, right. Isn't it more logical (and less confusing) to decrease the amount of charges, instead of decreasing the number of charges it costs per summon?
Or am I misunderstanding again and does that mean the -exact- same thing when translated into the script / code used in the NVN engine?

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 07:10:29 PM »
Increaing the cost makes them rarer to drop.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 06:04:04 AM »
Still doesn't "fix" the actual item and the ridicilous amounts of charges then though, right?
It's a fun item and nice idea, but I'm thinking the comical novelty of it will wear off after another week.

dark_majico

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 06:50:35 AM »
Well it does, if the cost is increased to 10 charges per use then you only have five uses of the barrel before it goes poof.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 02:08:46 PM »
Well it does, if the cost is increased to 10 charges per use then you only have five uses of the barrel before it goes poof.

I thought they were talking about increasing the cost of the item, as in.. the worth.
Not how much charges it consumes per use. I don't know how NVN works exactly, but I'm quite sure that something like that wouldn't increase or decrease the droprate.

Also not sure why people are talking about increasing the amount of charges it consumes per use.
What is the difference between giving an item 50 charges and it using up 10 for each summon or to simply give it 5 charges? Besides confusing people.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 03:54:36 PM »
No I was talking about the gold piece cost of the item. Raising the gp value will make it less common in the loot tables.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 05:45:08 PM »
I still like the idea of an ape curse, turning a PC into an ape. :lol:
Istavan Donner

dark_majico

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 06:08:19 AM »

I thought they were talking about increasing the cost of the item, as in.. the worth.
Not how much charges it consumes per use. I don't know how NVN works exactly, but I'm quite sure that something like that wouldn't increase or decrease the droprate.

Also not sure why people are talking about increasing the amount of charges it consumes per use.
What is the difference between giving an item 50 charges and it using up 10 for each summon or to simply give it 5 charges? Besides confusing people.

lol you know the tool set is incredibly user friendly and relatively simple to use, its worth playing with. I suppose I assumed that the loot tables took into account the cost of the charges per use, as in if an item has a greater charge per use cost, its considered a more powerful item (because in my head I assume that items with high charge costs per uses are greater in power) and therefor dropped it less. I suppose I am wrong.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 03:34:39 PM »

lol you know the tool set is incredibly user friendly and relatively simple to use, its worth playing with. I suppose I assumed that the loot tables took into account the cost of the charges per use, as in if an item has a greater charge per use cost, its considered a more powerful item (because in my head I assume that items with high charge costs per uses are greater in power) and therefor dropped it less. I suppose I am wrong.
No, the number of charges has no effect on gp cost. The number of charges needed to use the ability affects gp cost (less charges needed to use the ability makes it more expensive), but as this uses a unique custom script the gp cost is negligable. I simply gave the item the gp value the PnP book it came from assigned it, but I will raise the gp value. Our treasure system bases availability on the gp value of the item. The more powerful the item, the higher the gp value, thus the rarer the item is in the loot tables. If I raise the gp value on the barrel of monkeys it will be far less common than it currently is.