Author Topic: Interesting new release from the CCC: Modes of travel, and jumping/climbing.  (Read 1580 times)

Major Tom

• Undead Master
  • "Nobody has margaritas with pizza!"
Not sure if this is the right forum to post it, since I didn't think the Tavern was a good place to discuss systems and other such content, given it's primarily intended for the more spammier sorts of conversation, so yeah, anyone else seen this sweet piece of content yet?
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Hakpaks.Detail&id=8194
Jumping/Climbing Demonstration

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Interesting indeed! Though it would likely require serious rework to integrate into the PotM module due to the number of places that are meant to be off-limits...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Major Tom

• Undead Master
True - though I don't expect this to be added to the server in the first place, really, as otherwise I woulda posted it in Suggestions.

Though it'd be an amusing thing to be able to climb the walls of Castle Ravenloft as a thief. Plus it'd make for good get-away tactics if you are chased off a cliff. Not to mention you COULD script in falling damages, based on height - a drop like the ones in the demonstration'd be pretty fatal, normally.

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
The amount of times I've wanted to scale buildings and walls in PotM is unreal, so if this were doable it would be so cool. Anyone fancy a daring break-in to the Citadel? ^.-
A most troublesome Fox.

Major Tom

• Undead Master
Plus the whole Jump Animation from the previous animation set is already in Ravenloft, so that could be used for stuff like leaping across crevices, pitfalls and so on. The Drop-Jump from this could be used for descending, while the Climb animation'd be used for ascending. I'm also pretty sure there's a climb-rope animation in there somewhere, but then we'd be getting into the C.R.A.P. content such as tying ropes to ledges, and pinning spikes in the floor  to block doors (actually, I already found some C.R.A.P. content in the POTM server, now that I mention it. Floor spikes and grappling hooks are all present in the current item tables, just there's no scripts for actually using them).

At any rate, while it won't ever get implemented, it's still nice to ponder on how many interesting dungeons could be made utilizing the ability to climb ropes, scale walls, leap across pits, and so on. Plus the DEX and STR rolls for doing so, and the inevitable hilarity of falling damage.

HoshaZilo

• Undead Master
From a garda point of view it would actually be nice to have this feature, to actually make night watches interesting, everyone views the citadel walls as unpassible, (the gate however...not so much) At the moment the only way in is through DM assistance or sneaking/blasting in while the gate's open, this will allow for more daring rescues and general breakins for thiefs trying to prove thier poweress

Dumas

• Dark Power
How neat!!! It's amazing what content is still being created for NWN! I would love to see this somehow implemented.. My rogue, Dumas always carries around rope, grappling hook and climbing spikes in his inventory... Would love to be able to put those to use without DM assistance.

(On a side note, saw that someone finally made biremes in that first link? Suh-weet!)

Major Tom

• Undead Master
Well, I wouldn't get my hopes up. There's a jumping animation already in Ravenloft, and a jumping script already exists with relative rolls and such, but it hasn't been implemented. So yeah, better off just imagining the fun stuff, rather than anticipating it.