You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: The choking fog.  (Read 6917 times)

dark_majico

Re: The choking fog.
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012, 09:15:15 AM »
Also actually Strahd deliberately told the vistani how to make the potion to make you immune against the choking for a small time(till you pass the fog near the castle), because he himself states in one of the books, that it is the most easy way to replenish his dungeon with food erm blood supply:)
It also allows him to keep track of every single person snooping around the Village, since the Vistani are required to tell Strahd everything they see in exchange for his protection.  :evillol:

More like should be able to. However with the unlimited (well your gold posession limit:P) potion aquirance, it is possible to get your hands on enough vistani potions, which allow you to make a black market for them, meaning that those shady folks who do not wish to be noticed, may actually go unnoticed through the fogs:P
(I know cuz with one or two of my characters i have sold such potions for double price in the past:P)

That's true, it is certainly a valid black market but it's a very dangerouse one. Anyone found doing that in game would be in my opinion risking character closure, allthough don't let that put you off it would be one hell of a way to go.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2012, 09:27:11 AM »
Well the Vistani would have reported you buying more than you need, and would have reported that. So yes the people you sell them to would be "less visible" but on the other hand, you the seller, would be highly watched by his many many other spies, and Strahd would know who you sold to.

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 09:38:30 AM »
I don't think Strahd is generally likely to concern himself with smugglers over much. I always figured he'd focus on things which presented a very real and significant threat to his authority.
A most troublesome Fox.

dark_majico

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2012, 10:17:09 AM »
Well the Vistani would have reported you buying more than you need, and would have reported that. So yes the people you sell them to would be "less visible" but on the other hand, you the seller, would be highly watched by his many many other spies, and Strahd would know who you sold to.

Well you would need to buy one potion at a time, over the space of 24 to 48 hours. The vistani might assume that you are traveling in and out of the fog a lot, so you wouldn't necessarily attract attention immediately.
I don't think Strahd is generally likely to concern himself with smugglers over much. I always figured he'd focus on things which presented a very real and significant threat to his authority.

Strahd being immortal is obsessed with power and authority and he has all the patience he needs to spy on people that he thinks are questioning that authority. Selling elixirs and thereby bypassing his intricate web of control, and to an extent hiding from his carefully orchestrated network of eyes and ears will draw his attention and wrath.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2012, 11:17:19 AM »

Well you would need to buy one potion at a time, over the space of 24 to 48 hours. The vistani might assume that you are traveling in and out of the fog a lot, so you wouldn't necessarily attract attention immediately.

Strahd being immortal is obsessed with power and authority and he has all the patience he needs to spy on people that he thinks are questioning that authority. Selling elixirs and thereby bypassing his intricate web of control, and to an extent hiding from his carefully orchestrated network of eyes and ears will draw his attention and wrath.

Indeed. And if someone lives nearby the Village, can even lengthen the purchase time. Like buy one a week or so.
Also spies and eyes can be shaked off, which invisibility spell users or good stealthers can likely perform. So you can make a black market, you or your purchaser can even wear disguises. And about the closure, there is only a slim chance, and ofc it should happen when you sell such a potion to someone whom the Count takes major interest in.
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

dark_majico

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 01:03:44 PM »
Actually where it came to closure in that hypothetical situation the DM team would handle it appropriately. I would put it down to in character consequences when the time to close the character's story has come, you cant take on strahd and get a slap on the wrist, or a respawn and forget it all ever happened.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 01:54:33 PM »
Then you don't understand that character's motivations at all.

For one, he detests thieves. Smugglers mean that people are ignoring his tax laws, which is a double affront to him: disrespecting his laws and denying him money.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2012, 02:33:16 PM »
Then you don't understand that character's motivations at all.

For one, he detests thieves. Smugglers mean that people are ignoring his tax laws, which is a double affront to him: disrespecting his laws and denying him money.

Indeed. Strahd is majorly demanding with keeping his laws. He may overlook a few minor misteps, because they serve him more, but  he can allways make these things valid, once you are no use to him. (example: Caradoc)
Strahd is more like a chess player, he makes sacrifices, he allows things, whatever serves him better, however, it does not mean he has forgotten about you.
It only means that you are still some value to him. However even then there are things which he will not tolerate.

About the smugglers issue, i would say there are no two smugglers alike, in the eyes of Strahd. Some he will not waste time upon because it is not worth it.
He will likely weigh down on those though who smuggle weapons for gundarakites, or such other fatal issues.
But for an opium handler who supports say the Wachters, he will not lift a finger, as long as the supplier will not get too demanding and request the Wacthers too high price (be it deed, information or money.) [The wachter is just an imaginary example, just to show that Strahd does not treat all smugglers equally, and i have chosen the Wacthers as an imaginary example delibaretly since that family is the most loyal to the Count, and has been in the past centuries.]
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant