You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Useless items  (Read 1986 times)

MadJKevlar

• Undead Master
  • Ah! the generals! (is AKA WhenWolvesHoundThePrey)
Useless items
« on: December 12, 2012, 09:48:37 AM »
I have next no critical things to say about the server save for one :)

Useless items.. i have seen allot of useless items in stores, items with no use.... how can something have no use/function/effect for having or wearing it? specifically in the case of items that can be worn as I do realize in the table top editions there are in fact many miscellaneous items that had no purpose other then to be value in coin such as paintings and fine rugs and what not... I remember one of my table top parties buying four mulls to clear out castle of every fixture and rug XD.

This is the only thing that has struck me as short coming, but only once the additional feats and skills of PotM are taken in to account.

To give some examples...
plain gold silver and copper jewellery: Should gold not carry small skill bonuses for influence? or even have there so called mystical properties taken into account? I believe silver is known to have healing properties (+1 heal) and copper or brass have effects on arthritis and stiffness of the joints (+1 v paralysis).

Borovian peasant clothing: Its clear the Borovians dislike outsiders, the phrase "when in Rome" comes to mind. Could taking on Borovian traditional dress not have effects attributed to influence, appraise and antagonize?

Specifically thinking on the peasant garb as it is the only one i have seen on sale so far, perhaps -1 influence -1 atagonize +1 appraise?

thoughts? concerns? other plain item ideas?

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
Re: Useless items
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 10:09:58 AM »
This topic is a good place to go for item ideas.

Some items on the server do seem to exist for simply a monetary value, mechanically speaking. Hell, you should see how expensive some jewelry items are from the Jeweler in Port-a-Lucine-- the most expensive piece costs over 20k and has no mechanical bonuses, so to speak. Personally, I don't consider some of these items without any sort of mechanical bonus as useless, however; players can always have their characters attach a sentimental value to such items, or RP them having a use beyond mechanical bonuses.

Paintings are an exception. I hate finding only paintings! :ahem:

I suppose that's more of a pep peeve of mine than an issue I have. Regardless! I wouldn't mind seeing some more mundane items with small bonuses. Such items may have even been added in the recent update, but more ideas never hurt.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 01:40:02 PM »
Not everything needs to be a magic item. Some things are just treasure, or ornamental/decorative for roleplay purposes.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

MadJKevlar

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:41:27 PM »
Awesome thanks for the topic link, I will add to it.

Major Tom

• Undead Master
  • "Nobody has margaritas with pizza!"
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 02:09:31 PM »
Heck, technically speaking, the amount of magical items should be minimal on Ravenloft, due to it being a Low Magic setting. 90% of the weaponry and gear should really just be a matter of quality craftmanship and the metals used, rather than having any super-special-magic-sparkle powers.

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

MadJKevlar

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 03:11:23 PM »
yup that is why i was talking about an items basic use or function attributed to its material or mechanical function.

MadJKevlar

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 03:23:11 PM »
sorry to elaborate thou thought of as mystical powers in the past, science has managed to establish that certain metals effect the body through contact and there are elements to truth to old tales as it were, I am trying to think of it from a purely "Brothers Grim" point of view, silver bullets, and mechanical rapid fire stake bolt crossbows :) phasing the science with the myth as it were. gods no op magic items! mortality is something to be aware of.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 12:04:14 AM »
Well, since I did not have any idea where to post my concern about a certain item, I will do it here.
(I am unsure if what i am about to bring up would be fitting for the broken item or the item discussion thread, since both of them seem to have a different objective.)
I was looking for a thread that describes useless, or counterproductively weighed items or something alike, but this was the closest I found.

So! I have recently noticed that there is a new accessory book, which is probably meant for forestwalking characters, namely rangers and druids.
The item is called Istvan the sages guide to the w...
It gives: +1 to lore/search/listen/heal/and something else i forgot.
It's negative is -3 to intelligence.

This item therefore is mostly useless, since the -3 intelligence allready negate 2 of the bonuses it adds, since lore and search are both intelligence based items.
Also I happened to have the chance to compare it with the accesory meant for wizards.(Wizards travelling spellbook or something alike is the name)
It gives a bonus spell slot to level 1 and 2 spells, +1 to concentration and spellcraft.
Comparing these two items, the balance seems way off.
Also the first item with the -3 intelligence is a VERY punishing negative effect for the minor bonuses the item gives.
My suggestion is to either remove the item completely from the game, since currently I doubt it has much use, or remove the negative effect of the -3 Int, to fix the item.

Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 01:27:53 AM »
Removing the -3 int and slapping on something like -3 Disc would be fair and understandable i think since if your trying to focus on the contents of a book your bound to be knocked off your feet and such much easier.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 03:42:47 AM »
Well, since I did not have any idea where to post my concern about a certain item, I will do it here.
(I am unsure if what i am about to bring up would be fitting for the broken item or the item discussion thread, since both of them seem to have a different objective.)
I was looking for a thread that describes useless, or counterproductively weighed items or something alike, but this was the closest I found.

So! I have recently noticed that there is a new accessory book, which is probably meant for forestwalking characters, namely rangers and druids.

This item therefore is mostly useless, since the -3 intelligence allready negate 2 of the bonuses it adds, since lore and search are both intelligence based items.
Also I happened to have the chance to compare it with the accesory meant for wizards.(Wizards travelling spellbook or something alike is the name)
It gives a bonus spell slot to level 1 and 2 spells, +1 to concentration and spellcraft.
Also the first item with the -3 intelligence is a VERY punishing negative effect for the minor bonuses the item gives.
My suggestion is to either remove the item completely from the game, since currently I doubt it has much use, or remove the negative effect of the -3 Int, to fix the item.

If you read the item description you will see it is more or less designed to be that way, perhaps offer up a more useful item in the item request thread. 

Sage - When stories come to life

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 11:06:49 AM »

If you read the item description you will see it is more or less designed to be that way, perhaps offer up a more useful item in the item request thread. 

I understand it was meant that way, but this means that actually barely anyone, if anyone will use it.
And thus the item will be only taking up space in the inventory list, without being used by anyone, and thus this item will feel quite ...
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant