You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: downed in desert  (Read 7068 times)

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
Re: downed in desert
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 12:14:43 AM »
You went unprepared. You didnt ask enough questions, anyone giving proper information would suggested you got a nice fire resist ring or amulet or cloak . and not by yourself

why would you go to a land you dont know anything about in the first place?

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2012, 12:47:45 AM »
I wouldn't really call it a mid level area.  Maybe high mid if anything. I see it for level 13-15 mostly give or take some things handled by well prepared that are lower than that.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Zhernebog

• Undead Master
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 01:40:45 AM »
That's too bad-- it's a very well-done area, IMO.
Don't you mean BIZZARRO well-done?
Or well-done as in any pcs who go there turn into?

I'm hoping they make an Ethopian-themed area, where I suddenly, magically, need to eat every other second.
"You crave a twinkie"
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:02:54 AM by Zhernebog »

RigorMortis

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 01:48:13 AM »
Actually Har'Akir is my favorite domain, this is a group server, go with a group. The group mentality is to promote RP, if you went alone to Har'Akir your not hitting the RP main point of the server. Take it as a lesson and learn from it, rather then flaming the forums due to a death, hell, I'll even pick up your character as an OOC favor if you'd like and then you can leave.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 02:05:58 AM »

I'm hoping they make an Ethopian-themed area, where I suddenly, magically, need to eat every other second.
"You crave a twinkie"
Don't be obnoxious. You're on thin ice as it is.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 02:33:50 AM »
Actually Har'Akir is my favorite domain, this is a group server, go with a group. The group mentality is to promote RP, if you went alone to Har'Akir your not hitting the RP main point of the server. Take it as a lesson and learn from it, rather then flaming the forums due to a death, hell, I'll even pick up your character as an OOC favor if you'd like and then you can leave.

I don't know what you are on about.  There's difficulty in soloing and groups are better, but that doesn't mean an entire zone should be closed off to something solo that could keep someone busy until there's players to be played with.  Har'Akir has the potential to be a genuine hub of the server, if not for a few things.

But what I'm getting is "Learn your lesson from designed ignorance or don't play video games."
Istavan Donner

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 02:42:03 AM »

"You crave a twinkie"

Also, this thread is silly.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:44:10 AM by BahamutZ3RO »
: )

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2012, 02:57:40 AM »
doesn't mean an entire zone should be closed off to something solo
Then you solo something thats within your level range..back in Barovia, not area designed for mid-higher -groups-

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2012, 03:23:48 AM »
Istavan Donner

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2012, 03:52:00 AM »
   But everybody knows that leaving Barovia automatically makes you a Pro RPer.  Screw levels or the fact that some people have no legitimate reason to be in Har'Akir.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2012, 03:54:08 AM »
Phat Lewt and experience points are not legit IC reasons to go to the desert?

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »
Guy's trollin' lol.

There's a level progression in place to the monsters, you move on when you're ready for it, or you accept that you got your ass handed you.

Server's got a pretty big population. Everyone else seems to accept the way things are. Or are we all just wrong lol?

On a note you perhaps didn't consider with the "pest bandit" remark. People become desensitied, or possess diminished sensitivity, to things that they are exposed to as part of daily life. For the natives of the Amber Wastes, these creatures are a very persistant problem that they need to overcome every time they leave their house. They need to survive the heat, the dryness, etc.

I'm not sure what you want, except perhaps to make the entire server conform to the Barovian dynamic?
A most troublesome Fox.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2012, 09:20:19 AM »
Am so proud lil panda

Really time stomp ? You do not see the logic behind an area that is made for several lvl 13-15 together.
And you go there alone get your ass handed to you and you go moan and groan that you lack mayvind skills ?

If its ment for 13-15 you got to be 15-20 to solo.

In barovia you do not solo things either that are above your strength so why are you trying in another domain. Cause the risk is ......oh wait that's what this topic is about you not accepting your own stupidity for not taking enough muscle or buffs with you.

Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2012, 09:22:33 AM »
But even then, he probably hasn't explored a lot of Barovia since he's not complaining about extreme cold damage or areas that do not warn you about the dangers up front. There's a few spots around Village that will destroy you if you do not know that it's not somewhere to explore, and exploring Ghakis or Baratak in the dead of winter is a death sentence-- even for high levels if they are not prepared. I'm not quite sure what he expects, it's been said over and over that this server is about difficulty. It's lucky he didn't up and out decide to check out that Perfidus place, it would obliterate him.

I guess the team's expectation is that by the time people make it to the vistani camp, they've heard about the other domains and they know exploring is risky? Especially if you do not have a method to go invisible. In between this thread and the Port thread, I'm somewhat baffled that both of these things are issues and I have a hard time thinking up a constructive reply. Fixing the "problems" would be destructive in itself, what do you do? Make it so lower levels cannot go to certain places? I like roleplaying in Har'Akir, I'd hate to not be able to bring people there anymore for RP. I've made the run to the Tser Pool on a level 2 rogue to get items from Port to smuggle back into Barovia, I would hate to be locked out of Port for being low level.

Honestly I think it says something that all of these zones have existed for a long time, and dying in them due to carelessness has not been an issue up until now.  Timestopped, I guess the question is, what do you want to happen?

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2012, 09:27:15 AM »
If its ment for 13-15 you got to be 15-20 to solo.

Heck, you can solo at night at level 12 or even earlier if you know what you're doing and avoid the trolls or scorpionfolks.

And a party of smart, well-prepared level 10s can probably manage all the dungeons.

But it's generally not worth soloing the desert during the day even at high level; my level 18 paladin runs from Greater Dust Devils unless he's fully buffed, a pack of four or more of those is nasty.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

rabidsmily

• Undead Slayer
  • Picture not related.
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2012, 02:29:43 PM »
I like Prisoners of the Mist because, except for the magic, it is fairly realistic.

If you do not do adequate research before venturing forth, you will encounter hardship and possibly disaster.

One time a friend of mine dared me to go to South Korea on spring break.

I did not know anything about South Korea, nor did I know anyone in Korea, nor did I speak Korean, yet for some reason I accepted his dare.

Long story short, I ran out of money and ended up sleeping on the floor of a Korean guy I met a few days before.

I managed to get home by paying a cargo ship $120 to let me ride on the extra space in their boat.

If you do not do adequate research before venturing forth, you will encounter hardship and possibly disaster.

I have photographic evidence and will produce it upon request.

Characters: Alavra Srune'Lett, James Finesworth, Prescott Bowley, Grisil, Toshio Ninomiya, Eshen Soldusk, Emilio Shrewtamer, Blago Ashcard, Hoogliuter

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2012, 03:23:44 PM »
I like Prisoners of the Mist because, except for the magic, it is fairly realistic.

I did not know anything about South Korea, nor did I know anyone in Korea, nor did I speak Korean, yet for some reason I accepted his dare.

Long story short, I ran out of money and ended up sleeping on the floor of a Korean guy I met a few days before.

I managed to get home by paying a cargo ship $120 to let me ride on the extra space in their boat.

Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2012, 05:20:23 PM »

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2012, 06:18:14 PM »

: )

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2012, 06:28:53 PM »

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2012, 06:35:36 PM »
I imagine Vasco looked like Snape, so Snape gifs will always be funny to me.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2012, 06:43:45 PM »
But even then, he probably hasn't explored a lot of Barovia since he's not complaining about extreme cold damage or areas that do not warn you about the dangers up front. There's a few spots around Village that will destroy you if you do not know that it's not somewhere to explore, and exploring Ghakis or Baratak in the dead of winter is a death sentence--

Maybe because there's certain cues in general that you need a group in those places?  These are places that normally people don't go to.  Unlike things like -roads-.

I'm not sure whether to continue with the spam though.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 06:45:53 PM by Time_Stomped »
Istavan Donner

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2012, 06:44:59 PM »
cues*

And you might as well let the issue go. It's pretty clear that absolutely no one is in agreement with you.
A most troublesome Fox.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2012, 06:47:42 PM »
I imagine Vasco looked like Snape, so Snape gifs will always be funny to me.

Funny, I always saw him as Wormtongue.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »
Yes, I suppose people disagreeing with great assumptions of the design is a great solution to contrary arguments to the status quo!  I should take animated gif spam as mature, logical arguments of how I am wrong.

Meanwhile I -still- don't see the great and destructive harm in having a very small 10-12 area, scorpionfolk spawns having a look at, and something fire resistant (-5) being sold at vendors.
Istavan Donner