You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: downed in desert  (Read 7050 times)

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
downed in desert
« on: December 12, 2012, 06:03:45 AM »
the sun burns you when downed making it horribad if you try newbing this place =/
Istavan Donner

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
Re: downed in desert
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 06:26:00 AM »
Cape of the Fire Bath is a wise investmet, at a market value of 4k.

Or just don't go :D
A most troublesome Fox.

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 06:26:42 AM »
Higher level domain, so it's no advisable to go 'newbing' that place, and deserts hold their own perils, if that already snuffs you out, i'd advise against visiting the dungeons.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:02:05 AM »
i was under the impression that it was mid level =/

p.s. WAS
Istavan Donner

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 07:04:48 AM »
A well-prepared party of mid-levels can handle Har'Akir, sure, but going soloing there as a mid-level is asking for trouble.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 07:12:05 AM »
which is great because saying it's plainly mid-level is very misleading which got me killed in the first place @_@
Istavan Donner

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 07:22:45 AM »
Also, unlike Barovia, Har'Akir is safer at night.

It is a mid-level domain, the ethos of the server is geared towards challenging parties. Perfidus is a high level domain but a soloing high level is probably going to get slaughtered.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 07:29:59 AM »
Quote from: Zarathustra217
PARTIES/SOLOING

- Soloing is allowed, but the module is balanced for group play. You solo at your own risk on PotM.

From the server rules. I've died attempting to solo 'mid-level' areas with even a level 20 PC. These things happen when you solo-- especially in an area you aren't familiar with.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 07:31:03 AM »
there weren't any hints toward it being safer at night afaik, just the desert stuff. it wasn't a dungeon
Istavan Donner

Dusk

• Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 07:33:38 AM »
Live and learn. ;)

Soldier0fortunE

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 07:38:52 AM »
there weren't any hints toward it being safer at night afaik, just the desert stuff. it wasn't a dungeon

Ive never been to Har Akir but...its a desert.

Deserts are hot.

Logic.

Lol

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 07:42:52 AM »
The learning curve from barovia to what could be considered the next increment is still a little ridiculous
Istavan Donner

Dusk

• Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 07:49:42 AM »
If you're soloing, yes. The most obvious suggestion is to explore with a group, but this can be difficult depending on your timezone and the type of character you play. So, I'd instead encourage learning about areas you're considering soloing from other characters ICly, if you must solo.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 07:57:30 AM »
The idea of not having basic necessary hints from the populace for survival is silly.  If you look at the gear they sell it looks like you're facing a hot scorchy breeze here and there, not a DC 25 check.  The whole damage on top of being downed at day makes me look at this hopeful and new area with the first impression of never coming back there again in complete contempt.
Istavan Donner

Dusk

• Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 08:05:37 AM »
That's too bad-- it's a very well-done area, IMO.

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 08:23:19 AM »
Only been once on an L3 Rogue. Promptly evacuated lol.

Consider thus, however. In Barovia, when winter comes, if you do not have a winter cloak or seek shelter, you will freeze to death. This still applies when downed.

Nothing warns you about the Barovian cold. You just find out for yourself and deal with it or die. Why should Har'akir warrant a special warning?
A most troublesome Fox.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 08:33:13 AM »
Yes, it's dangerous; it's meant to be. Yes, the locals aren't exactly very helpful; they aren't meant to be. It's a dangerous desert in a gothic horror setting; it's not meant to be a walk in the park. You seem keen to blame the game when you did not take basic precautions that most of us took before going there the first time, like finding other PC explorers who'd been there and learning tips from them. Heck, my character Anastacia Rotfurt wrote a whole IC treatise on Har'Akir as her initiation manuscript for the Erudite Society, and if you find her IC you could obtain a copy. :P

I'm not trying to be grossly unsympathetic here; it's just that what really needs to be adjusted here is not the domain or the game, but the attitude with which you approach it. Make friends, travel in groups, gain intelligence and learn from the experiences of others: these are how adventurers go there and become successful. If it were easy and well-advertised, it wouldn't be half as challenging, nor half as fun and rewarding, to master the domain.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 08:48:16 AM »
Usually you can get a feel for it with the lower dc and can pass a few checks for the cold.  It's fairly intuitive.

Har'akir with the certain types of gear and apparent village makes it look like the village would never survive in the first place considering 17-20 critical 17 ab with expertise scorpion people mobs.  I thought we were trying to get people out of Barovia not stay in it.

The idea of super-dee-duper ignorance on trying to know if the sky is blue or not to be considered part of the challenge is a misnomer.  My attitude isn't going to change Har'akir being counter-intuitive or not.  Perhaps absolutely having no idea where the mist is in the zone while dead while having to derp around for hours is fun to you, but I like having a slighter respect toward my time.
Istavan Donner

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 09:44:28 AM »
Barovia Stay inside at night, Har Akir Stay inside day time. Simpel, avoid heat contact by staying inside and leaving soloing to the expert.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 10:48:45 AM »
I love HarAkir, I think its just about perfectly implemented considering noted limitations.
The music totally helps immersion, as does seeing lizards, or lions etc. Its a very welcome change of scenery sometimes to me. Traveling the desert without water or protection from heat, during daytime will kill the most savvy so just take note and adjust approach to suit the environment. Its the building block of evolution: adaptibility.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Soldier0fortunE

• Undead Master
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 08:00:56 PM »
The learning curve from barovia to what could be considered the next increment is still a little ridiculous

If you think the learning curve here is tough, never play Eve Online is all im saying.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 10:51:11 PM »

If you think the learning curve here is tough, never play Eve Online is all im saying.

EVE Online is a completely different game and has opportunities to obtain tangible knowledge before applying it to the game.  Not that I care for MMOs much.
Istavan Donner

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 11:09:08 PM »
You had a chance to ask incharacter at any time

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 11:23:47 PM »
Only been once on an L3 Rogue. Promptly evacuated lol.

Consider thus, however. In Barovia, when winter comes, if you do not have a winter cloak or seek shelter, you will freeze to death. This still applies when downed.

Nothing warns you about the Barovian cold. You just find out for yourself and deal with it or die. Why should Har'akir warrant a special warning?

not saying it should have one but   in barovia every person you meet players that is tells you to stay inside at night and find a nice fire for the winter, in har akir are less players thus less interactions that is possible to warn you.

Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 12:08:09 AM »
Who said anything about "special" warnings?  The description of extremely surprisingly strong mobs is more to the liking of "pest bandits".  How do you talk about a land that a character doesn't know would exist until it was mentioned?

Bollacks aside, we deal in PCs that might not know everything in their background and could succumb to environmental cheesiness.  While people approve of the area, I find it lacking in its intended purpose: A mid level area that seems to be a step up from Barovian dungeons with some mid-high level content.  It just needs to be tweaked around a little bit and not by much.
Istavan Donner